Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? (49767 Views)

Supreme Court Dares Buhari, Apc And Efcc, You Can Set Up Mchinry, We Cnt Fvour U / When You 'Eat' Bribe And EFCC Finally Catches You (Funny Cartoon)! / BUHARI Intimedating Saraki With ICPC And EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 5:23pm On Feb 20, 2007
Difference between the two organizations(according to the book)
The EFCC is primarily charged with the responsibility of enforcing laws relating to banking, money laundering, advance fee fraud (419), miscellaneous offences and any other laws or regulations relating to economic and financial crimes, including the criminal code and the penal code.

The EFCC does not have any time limitations as to when a crime was committed.

The EFCC has power to prosecute directly without going through the attorney General's office. The ICPC, on the other hand, focuses on curbing bribery and corruption in the civil/public service and is limited in time to those offences committed from year 2000.

To me personally, I think both organizations are very similar in a lot of ways; and there is absolutely no reason to establish the second one when the operation of the first one could have be modified.
There is definitely shady reason behind the implementation of the second entity.

Think about it.

This is the real difference between the two:

ICPC is an organization that understands democracy and embraces respect for the law. This organization focuses on a group concept and can not be easily manipulated by the president. In-fact 85% of their members are older, well educated, and experienced Nigerian citizens. The credibility of each of these members is untouchable.
Believe it or not, the president is well aware that this group of people will not tolerate being used as the war gear or political fighting tool.
And I think this is the main reason why the second organization was quickly established.

EFCC on the other hand is an organization that operates under the umbrella (concept) of a single entity. It is also known that the organization is directly being controlled and monitored by the president. The members are pretty younger and full of energy, but can also be easily subjugated.

As bright as the intention or the vision of this organization appears to be, it is not uncommon for one to doubt their credibility and operational style.

1 Like

Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Mamajama(m): 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2007
BIGB1 can you tell us when both organization was created? where do they get their allocations? who do they both report to directly or indirectly. the position of the president is powerful and I still think he can control either group if he so choose to. after all this is Nigeria and anyone can be bought. lol
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 5:57pm On Feb 20, 2007
EFCC: 2002

ICPC: btw 1999 and 2000

FYI: I may be wrong.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Mamajama(m): 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2007
It will be interesting to see what happen when we have a new president. which one will stay and which one will be decommission
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Afam(m): 6:05pm On Feb 20, 2007
@BigB1,

Regardless of the shortcomings of the EFCC it is very clear that the it was both a necessary creation and a useful one.

I guess the EFCC was empowered to take actions whereas the ICPC were almost inactive.

Similar? Yes. Any need to have created the EFCC? Yes.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:19pm On Feb 20, 2007
Absolutely no reason to have both organizations.

Reasons why ICPC did not get the same attention EFCC is getting:

1. It's not well funded

2. It did not have proper authority to Carry out it's operation.

3. President doesn't show any respect or interest (since it is not directly beneficial to the president)

4. They refused to operate the way the president has recommended

5. Most members are older, well educated, have incredible credibility and can not be easily manipulated by anyone.

ETC
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Mariory(m): 6:29pm On Feb 20, 2007
The reason why the ICPC does not get the attention the EFCC get's is because The ICPC has been quite useless since it's creation. Only with the creation of the EFCC, did we start seeing corruption actively tackled and not just being talked about. And that's not even taking into account the EFCC's record with politicians.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2007
If that's the case, modification and empowerment would have been the proper solution; not creating another organization and wasting money we do not have.
I believe, the presidency couldn't take this action, because modifying this organization (ICPC) would have been worthless or disadvantageous for the accomplishment of Mr. President's personal agenda.
Hence the best action is to leave the ICPC activate and create a new submissive organization (EFCC).

The main purpose of this strategy is to keep folks quiet by leaving ICPC active and implementing a real political tool (EFCC) for the president.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Afam(m): 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2007
Big B1:

The main purpose of this strategy is to keep folks quiet by leaving ICPC active and implementing a real political tool (EFCC) for the president.

EFCC is God sent, we shall remain grateful for this creation, at least today one can say there is hope in Nigeria and the corrupt Nigerians understand this too well.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Feb 20, 2007
This topic is not posted to bash EFCC; it is posted to profoundly think about the implementation of the EFCC by the presidency.

The real shady reasons behind the implementation of this organization.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Mariory(m): 7:00pm On Feb 20, 2007
You know that theory of yours might be somewhere near true if the EFCC where created to persecute corrupt politicains. That's where I have a problem with people that have the same opinion as you about the EFCC. You make it seem like the EFCC's job is about politics and politicians.
It just so happens, the EFCC was created to fight corruption. How many politicians has the EFCC moved against until recently? It's funny because when the EFCC was roundhouse kicking yahoo boys, fraudulent bank chiefs, western union fraudsters etc people were making noise asking them to go after big fish (Politicians).
Of course they knew, as per their experience with Alarms and Dariye, that once they go after politicians, it is because of ethnicity. Oh wait, my bad, it used to be about ethnicity, then it was about third term. I don't know what excuse they are using now. Perhaps 'vindictiveness' is the new excuse.

Anyways here's a suggestion. If you don't believe in the EFCC, why don't you clamor for the ICPC to be more pro-active. They sit there doing almost nothing leaving the EFCC to do the work and take the criticism. Maybe you should be criticising the ICPC for not doing what they were created to do. Let's see this "professional" outfit go after politicians (if they have the balls) and not have the same criticism and political play that the EFCC is facing.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2007
Once again, my friend

Reasons why ICPC did not get the same attention EFCC is getting:

1. It's not well funded

2. It did not have proper authority to Carry out it's operation.

3. President doesn't show any respect or interest (since it is not directly beneficial to the president)

4. They refused to operate the way the president has recommended

5. Most members are older, well educated, have incredible credibility and can not be easily manipulated by anyone.

ETC
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by TerraCotta(m): 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2007
I've had the same question since the inception of EFCC, but I think they've definitely proved their worth while ICPC has faltered. Mariory is so right--constantly accusing EFCC of being Obasanjo's hounddogs ignores all the work they do with more pedestrian criminals. They have been putting away everyone from low-level financial scam artists to the Tafa Baloguns, and employing young Nigerians to do it. The organization is definitely one of the greatest benefits of OBJ's tenure. Mariory's right--ICPC should be the ones defending their low visibility/inactivity of the last few years. When you read stories like this one, it makes you wonder how and why the organization is still around.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 7:16pm On Feb 20, 2007
Exactly, may be we should ask ICPC and EFCC to investigate one another.

I'm 100% sure that there are shady reasons why EFCC was created while ICPC remains active.

It makes no sense.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 7:19pm On Feb 20, 2007
May be EFCC should continue to investigate VP while ICPC should be given the full authority to thoroughly investigate Mr. President.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Mamajama(m): 7:37pm On Feb 20, 2007
I can see your point MR BIGB1 who created ICPC ? we know MR president created EFCC to tackle corruption. was ICPC created but the president as well? I am sure there is justifiable reason why we have this separate entities or the so called useless senate would have abolished one of this entity.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by shutmouth(m): 10:34pm On Feb 20, 2007
How many politicians has the EFCC moved against until recently? It's funny because when the EFCC was roundhouse kicking yahoo boys, fraudulent bank chiefs, western union fraudsters etc people were making noise asking them to go after big fish (Politicians).

Of course they knew, as per their experience with Alarms and Dariye, that once they go after politicians, it is because of ethnicity. Oh wait, my bad, it used to be about ethnicity, then it was about third term. I don't know what excuse they are using now. Perhaps 'vindictiveness' is the new excuse.

Thanks, Mariory. You hit the nail on the head.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 21, 2007
r u usure obj created EFCC to tackle corruption , or was it part of a more sinister long term strayegy, to effectively disABLE any political opponenets in 2007? Methinks Ribadu is the Al Mustapha for our 'democratic' dispensation. have any of obj's cronies been indicted by EFCC? the main diff btw mustapha and Ribadu is that ribadu does not have to manufacture evidence against anyone who falls out of obj's favor since they are all corrupt anyway. if andy uba falls into the bad books tomorrow, we will see him indicted ASAP, with a comprehensive list of all his crimes.
i see the initial pursuits of EFCC as part of a scheme to gain public (and international )credibility, so that when they get down to the real business at hand-(which we're seeing now) observers will just assume they r doing an unbiased job.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2007
It is amazing to me that some folks still believe that EFCC vision is sincere.

It is obvious that EFCC is determined to fight this war for Mr. president to the end. It is also crystal clear that this war is the biggest fight for OBJ and he can not afford not to win.
His failure to win could also mean a major downfall for EFCC, who is already lacking credibility.

Hence this is a must win situation for the president and his political fighting tool.

In my eyes, I still see ICPC as an incredible, matured and extremely responsible organization that never had the opportunity or full authority to display it's potential to Nigerian people (because of political reason).

And believe me, it was designed this way by this current administration.

FYI: 90% of the ICPC members are top notch in their class, believe me, it is absolutely impossible to manipulate this group of people in any way.
And you can never never compare ICPC to EFCC; for the knowledgable Nigerians, the different is purely clear. The actions of the ICPC are open and aboveboard.

Please, do a diligent and systematic inquiry to discover this orgaization and the members.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by waffistyle(m): 10:14pm On Feb 28, 2007
,,,,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;i agree wit you bigb1
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by McKren(m): 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2007
Wanna know the true difference

[size=40pt]§[/size] EFCC ICPC  [size=16pt](Corruption)[/size] = (EFCC) - (ICPC) = Passion and dedication of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by abdkabir(m): 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2007
The Diff. between EFCC and ICPC boils down to Maths

EFCC
& ICPC= CC(EF & IP).

Now because EF comes before IP in the alphabetical order.

Nuhu Ribadu is more Popular than the ICPC Boss. wink smiley smiley
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by RuuDie(m): 5:08pm On Mar 02, 2007
easy , I, P & E,F ,

& by some unfortunate form of coincidence, they both got double C's

grin grin grin
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:34pm On Mar 04, 2007
PTDF Report

“That the Marine Float Account should be independently investigated by the relevant organs of government especially the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) since the initial investigation by the EFCC has generated controversy,” the report noted. The above two conclusions could have been satisfactory, but for the very clear admission by the committee in one of the clauses: “No PTDF funds were traced directly to the said account. It was at best a second line beneficiary of the PTDF funds.”

This information is part of the PTDF report that was released few days ago; pretty soon ICPC will regain the respect they deserve from Nigerian citizens.

Just wait and see.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2007
Part of PTDF Report

This is in spite of abundant documentary evidence that Globalcom paid for its license before the PTDF invested money in ETB. “The Senate committee has confirmed Globacom’s claims that there is no evidence of any transaction between ETB and Globacom. “What does this say about the investigative competence of EFCC? “What does this say of EFCC’s sense of fairness and equity when it is realised that Otunba Mike Adenuga, chairman of Globacom had been arrested, detained and harassed out of the country and made a fugitive in the last three months by the conduct of Ribadu? “And unjustly too in pursuit of vendetta because he refused to support the Third Term project on principle!

Like have stated in the past:
Organization like EFCC must embrace perfection at all levels, they can not afford to make silly mistake.
They must totally drive away from politics.
They can not be selective during their operation.
They must always embrace professionalism by doing their job to the best of their abilities and not rushing to conclusion.
They must operate under a group concept, not a one man show.
They must do what ever it takes to maintain high standard credibility.

As much as one wants to admire this organization, their credibility continues to be very cloudy and one should think twice.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by luckyCO(m): 11:56am On Mar 05, 2007
There is nothing created by human beings that will not have its shortcomings.  When Bakassi boys ware introduced by some part on Nigeria, they did a very good job and later on politicians infiltrated it and that came to its demise. Human made thing.

I think EFCC will not be infiltarted by politicians in any Government who adopted it becasue they politicians  use it to fight agains themselves. There never a time that all politicians will agree in one thing esp in multi-party system like NIgeria. So EFCC for me will continue and continue to do a good job. There is no pressure like politicians' so no matter who is EFCC leader must always be above average.

ICPC on the other are gaining momemtum, they will soon be used more like they are being used.

ICPC and EFCC are okay to stay such that we will know when politicians are trying to infiltrate it. How? If EFCC gives and report and ICPC counters it, then we will know that Politicians have come to war!

EFCC like I said will be a good tool later this year or next when Obj will leaves Office. Those people we are suffereing
from excruciating pain(Tafa,Audu Ogbe, Wagbara etc) as result of corruption which they learn from OBJ, do you think they will keep quiet if Obj leaves office?

Lets watch and see. 4 me anybody indited by Real  EFCC list should not be allowed to contest election. For the are the people who have retrogressed the country and some people collect money to campaign for them.

Atiku,Govt Nnamani,Haurna etc in a normal society should not have even a single supporter. They do because they steal your money and give you small only for your grand children to suffer it in future.

I will even like them to cease and arrest anybody who stand indited even me from then we will know  those that spoling Nigeria.

The mistake we make from not taking war against corruption massively will be a grave yard to our grand children let us say God forbide!.  Am not Ribadu brother nor likes but I adopt their services just like many Nigerians.

Finally, I think the no differece between the two. They are just there to complement each becasue corrutpion in Nigeria is migrating from Mega to Giga which are needed to be curbed down from Giga to kilo even to byte which only ICPC cannot do.
And while working with corrupt polticians one has to be very carefull,strong,determine,couragous and fast to guard against their bribe,lies,pressure and evil which EFCC is best fit for.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Afam(m): 12:11pm On Mar 05, 2007
Regardless of the shortcomings of the EFCC, a Nigeria with EFCC is far better than one without EFCC.

If they need to do away with one then ICPC should go since they have really not done anything serious since its creation yet they keep voting funds for the body.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by luckyCO(m): 12:18pm On Mar 05, 2007
Well that is your opinion. But I don't think it is a good idea for them to go. Why because a man works to his best if he is challenged. So they are there to see what EFCC hasn't seen and provide wisdom to support EFCC.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by Afam(m): 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2007
luckyCO:

Well that is your opinion. But I don't think it is a good idea for them to go. Why because a man works to his best if he is challenged. So they are there to see what EFCC hasn't seen and provide wisdom to support EFCC.

If they want the 2 to remain, fine but if they are thinking of doing away with one of them as they are basically setup to fight corruption then I will prefer they kept EFCC and not ICPC.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by luckyCO(m): 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2007
I don't think that Govt as things are now will survive the people's criticism if they try to do away with any of them. I don't think anybody will do that. The incoming Govt can only merge two of them and change their name, I think that's all.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by BigB11(m): 3:09pm On Mar 05, 2007
@AFAM:

Do you know anything about the ICPC members?

and if you do, could you please introduce 2 of the members to us?

Thanks.

[b]Speculating is a sin, it is very important for us to know what we are talking about; [/b]In this case, I'm not sure if some of us truly do.
Re: The Real Difference Between ICPC And EFCC? by McKren(m): 3:51pm On Mar 05, 2007
We will appreciate if you kindly tell us what we are talking about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo 2020 Governorship: Tribunal Rules Against Governor Obaseki / Lovely Photos Of Prof. Yemi Osinbajo And His Wife / A Nigerian Soldier Posted How They Eliminated Boko Haram Members (graphics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.