Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians (27271 Views)

Phone Thieves Caught In Port Harcourt, Beaten To Pulp / Suspected Phone Thieves Stab Final Year ATBU Student To Death In Bauchi / Two Suspected Phone Thieves Beaten To Pulp In Jos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by charismaticdave(m): 3:50pm On Oct 24, 2017
Most customers are too blame at times, I was in the bank one day when one customer came into the bank and was accusing the bank of defrauding of over 850,000.

When she was calmed down and asked to explain, she said she got a call from the bank that her ATM has expired and she needs to reactivate it with a PIN they will send to her after giving them the old ATM serial number and CC Number.

She said since then, she has been receiving debit alerts till everything in the account was cleared out.

Let's all shine our eyes abeg
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Adaumunocha(f): 3:51pm On Oct 24, 2017
ngmgeek:

Lol! Too careless to hide money in the foam. Tried it and don't remember how it got lost. cheesy
your girlfriend or friend probably stole it. Tear the foam into half and look for it if you still got access to d foam grin

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by bamdly(m): 3:51pm On Oct 24, 2017
shocked grin
with my Uba N115 Dey want to wire
Wait make i recheck my acct bal
Fraudstar my account No na sero Tiwee Tun zefun wait make i check
ok but sha use the 100 naira to buy card
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ngmgeek(m): 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2017
Adaumunocha:
your girlfriend or friend probably stole it. Tear the foam into half and look for it if you still got access to d foam grin
Lol! That's why you should stop because there are cctvs everywhere these days. #trustbanks cheesy

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by tartarus(m): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
awoo47:
is it possible for fraudster to buy things online with knowledge of only ur last 4 digits nd expiring date??
It's not possible if you have vbv(verified by visa) activated on your visa card or MCs(MasterCard secure) on your MasterCard.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Adaumunocha(f): 3:59pm On Oct 24, 2017
ngmgeek:

Lol! That's why you should stop because there are cctvs everywhere these days. #trustbanks cheesy
Lol... I'll have to get over d phobia first.

2 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Partnerbiz(f): 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2017
Nbote:
All mobile apps now have d block ATM card option. Atleast my access , first and Eco has it. Some of us make it easy for dis fraudstars with our choice of pin.
Will you block airtime purchase too?
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Partnerbiz(f): 4:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
Mintayo:
With access bank mobile app, you can block your atm card, I don't know about other banks though.
As long as your phone is intact, just block it once you misplaced your card, you also can unlock it later.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Phyde: 4:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
Marshalxv:
Me dropping all my ATM cards at home now to avoid stories that touch.

as for the app,I'll reinstall only when I need it.

I cannot come and go and do myself by myself .Lol
Another option, Get AppHidder from playstore and hide all vital apps from displaying on your phone menu or home screen. You will create code to unhide whenever you wanna make use your vital apps.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nbote(m): 4:06pm On Oct 24, 2017
Partnerbiz:

Airtime purchase via short codes is linked to ur ATM. Wen u block ur ATM dat stops also. To d best of my knowledge
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Partnerbiz(f): 4:10pm On Oct 24, 2017
dingbang:
Like I mentioned earlier, people still use easy to guess ATM passwords.... And they know in their hearts they do. Imagine someone's ATM password /mobile banking password is 1234/12345....

Tell me... Why won't fraudsters wipe away your money.... When u use year of birth as ur ATM password, why won't fraudsters wipe out your cash....?

The security of your ATM cards and your mobile banking is left to you alone...

Someone also will carry all his ATM cards inside one wallet...when they steal the wallet, everything is gone... Na you cause am ooo.... Why would you even be carrying all that in your wallet in the first place..

I only carry my ATM card with me when I want to withdraw... Asides that, I don't carry anything except the exact cash I want to spend that day....

and to all first bank customers who are still doing strong head to install the first bank mobile app, you are so on your own because when you fall a victim of ATM cars withdrawals from your account, nobody will save you.. Unless you have the mobile app, all you need to do is to disable the ATM card right from your mobile app and the fraudster will cease to have access to your funds... Its that simple.
Click my link to install the mobile app and follow the guidelines... Thank you
ding can airtime be bought without pin?
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by JuanDeDios: 4:15pm On Oct 24, 2017
cbngov01:
Your write up was coherent but not valid! In e-banking u either stay secured or lose it all!...3banks,3atms and you move out with em at once?No soul, I repeat no soul can withdraw with ur atm card unless your password is compromised!For the lady who card was bought from her account I find d story funny but I will counter that another day...Stay safe, stay secured I'm with e banking all the way!
You know, I've been wondering about this. How can someone just pick your card and then use it without having known your pin? Software? I'm not understanding again o.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Goodnuel: 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
Touchey:

It is even impossible to save your card pin on an online platform.
No website would encourage such.
Ivolt clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about
Some sites do, like AE.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ivolt: 4:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
Touchey:

It is even impossible to save your card pin on an online platform.
No website would encourage such.
Ivolt clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about

It is better you talk about what you know but if you are still skeptical
please send your card no, name and cv v as pm.
I guarantee that you will get alerts.

You obviously know very little about prepaid cards and online shopping.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by chux677: 4:38pm On Oct 24, 2017
The whole story is a lie....You cant buy more than 3000 naira airtime daily. Maximum of 5000 naira in sum banks, How come all her income was used to buy air airtime. Moreso, the phone numbers that recieved the airtime can equally be traced. We are not fools here please.

2 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Marshalxv(m): 5:13pm On Oct 24, 2017
Phyde:

Another option, Get AppHidder from playstore and hide all vital apps from displaying on your phone menu or home screen. You will create code to unhide whenever you wanna make use your vital apps.

Thanks bro,I'll do that
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by EMDIEY: 5:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
For those saying ivolt doesn't know what he was saying, I believe have never been victims of fraudsters b4.
These guys are always a step ahead,there are many online sites that don't require pin for purchase, it has happened to someone close to me b4.
Sometimes u don't have to disprove every story that doesn't sound credible to you, all u need is an open mind so u won't be caught off-guard.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by davo90tico(m): 5:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
dingbang:
Like I mentioned earlier, people still use easy to guess ATM passwords.... And they know in their hearts they do. Imagine someone's ATM password /mobile banking password is 1234/12345....

Tell me... Why won't fraudsters wipe away your money.... When u use year of birth as ur ATM password, why won't fraudsters wipe out your cash....?

Someone also will carry all his ATM cards inside one wallet...when they steal the wallet, everything is gone... Na you cause am ooo.... Why would you even be carrying all that in your wallet in the first place..

I only carry my ATM card with me when I want to withdraw... Asides that, I don't carry anything except the exact cash I want to spend that day....

and to all first bank customers who are still doing strong head to install the first bank mobile app, you are so on your own because when you fall a victim of ATM cars withdrawals from your account, nobody will save you.. Unless you have the mobile app, all you need to do is to disable the ATM card right from your mobile app and the fraudster will cease to have access to your funds... Its that simple.
Wrong choice of words how can u say when the fall victim u supposed to say if they fall victim correct it plz
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by billyG(m): 6:36pm On Oct 24, 2017
dingbang:

disable mobile app when phone is stolen abi?
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 24, 2017
with my MicroFinance Bank the so called thief will be wasting his time fighting to withdraw grin,such cases are for those in places like Lagos, Abuja, Ph what's the business of someone staying in Okpuje.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by miketayo(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
billyG:

disable mobile app when phone is stolen abi?

Even with phone u still need token and pin to transfer and with some banks to recharge

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by damilarelr(m): 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
Most Nigerians need to be security conscious when it comes to divulging their bank account details. It's true that stuffs can be purchased online without the use of PIN - mostly for Mastercards, and most of the sites are international websites. Verve cards being powered by Interswitch can not be used online without a OTP to authorise the transaction.

My advice:

Always keep your card at home when you don't need to withdraw cash. Or better still, learn how to use the Verve Paycode if only you have ATMs enabled for cardless withdrawal are near to you.

Even if you have to download a shopping app, link your card to your account and keep the card far away. In the case of phone theft, the card details cannot be revealed to the thief, and even if items are bought online with your card, just find a place to log on to your shopping app account, check your orders, and give the address of the goods awaiting receipt to the police.

Lastly, if you have families and relatives who do not have anything to with Internet purchase, ensure they obtain only Verve cards, it's safer!

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by DAramis: 8:52pm On Oct 24, 2017
Eberex:
But seriously. The only thing that can be done when they get hold of your ATM is to buy stuffs online. Which kin yeye software dem get wey go show them ya PIN. Ta!

the card number and the 3-security numbers are what is needed to shop online. And only for those quack shops where the name of the card owner is not important. If it were , most of the transactions would not be completed. Unless of course your wallet was stolen, in which case your identity card will KOBA you.
You forgot that all bank atm bears the name of the customer
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Rick9(m): 11:12pm On Oct 24, 2017
Is it possible for a transaction to be completed without an OTP ?
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by brimoknight(m): 11:51pm On Oct 24, 2017
Princedan50:
Some of the victims and their story tho. As long as Nigeria n e commerce is concerned someone cannot use just ur ATM card to purchase something online without ur phone, there's something called OTP(one time pin) for the transaction to go successfully u must receive the OTP via sms on ur phone then u will input the otp on the space provided by the e-commerce platform confirming u are the real owner of the card else the transaction will fail,for the buying of card for friends n family that one is still impossible cus u have to fill in ur banking pin before u airtime others if the person that stole ur phone recharged ur line only who did he/she call with the line the person can aswell be tracked n nabbed and it's highly impossible for one to withdraw with ur ATM card with ur pin. The story is just fiction to someone that knows about E banking n co. Buh for the sake of safety have minimum of two bank accounts let one have an ATM that u will put in ur spare money u can afford to lose even if there's an emergency expense that occurs u can transfer money from the one u have big money in with no ATM to the one with ATM then do ur transaction ASAP. For ur phone is highly suggestive to give ur SIM card a sim lock pin n also ur phone. Always delete bank related messages ur email is always their if u need to keep record of ur banking transactions.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by brimoknight(m): 11:52pm On Oct 24, 2017
Princedan50:
Some of the victims and their story tho. As long as Nigeria n e commerce is concerned someone cannot use just ur ATM card to purchase something online without ur phone, there's something called OTP(one time pin) for the transaction to go successfully u must receive the OTP via sms on ur phone then u will input the otp on the space provided by the e-commerce platform confirming u are the real owner of the card else the transaction will fail,for the buying of card for friends n family that one is still impossible cus u have to fill in ur banking pin before u airtime others if the person that stole ur phone recharged ur line only who did he/she call with the line the person can aswell be tracked n nabbed and it's highly impossible for one to withdraw with ur ATM card with ur pin. The story is just fiction to someone that knows about E banking n co. Buh for the sake of safety have minimum of two bank accounts let one have an ATM that u will put in ur spare money u can afford to lose even if there's an emergency expense that occurs u can transfer money from the one u have big money in with no ATM to the one with ATM then do ur transaction ASAP. For ur phone is highly suggestive to give ur SIM card a sim lock pin n also ur phone. Always delete bank related messages ur email is always their if u need to keep record of ur banking transactions.

Thank you o jare! Tell them!! Most people just assume rubbish and spill rubbish with knowing how online transactions work.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by brimoknight(m): 11:53pm On Oct 24, 2017
Rick9:
Is it possible for a transaction to be completed without an OTP ?
I dont think so
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by correctguy101(m): 6:37am On Oct 25, 2017
Eberex:
But seriously. The only thing that can be done when they get hold of your ATM is to buy stuffs online. Which kin yeye software dem get wey go show them ya PIN. Ta!

the card number and the 3-security numbers are what is needed to shop online. And only for those quack shops where the name of the card owner is not important. If it were , most of the transactions would not be completed. Unless of course your wallet was stolen, in which case your identity card will KOBA you.

Boys never get your time be that.

Just a picture of the front and back of your debit card and you're toast.

Quote me anywhere, I will still say the same. unless you don't know how far and desperate these boys are.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by kowalsky: 6:45am On Oct 25, 2017
Princedan50:

actually some payment processors permit credit transactions without otp verification. if you've signed up for PayPal before you'd understand this...

in the right hands, just your atm card without its password is enough to wipe your account to a clean slate.
doubt it? send me a snapshot of your card and let's see what i can do wink
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Mintayo(m): 7:49am On Oct 25, 2017
Ononachi:
How?

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Eberex(m): 9:07am On Oct 25, 2017
[quote author=correctguy101 post=61745319]

Boys never get your time be that.

Just a picture of the front and back of your debit card and you're toast.

Quote me anywhere, I will still say the same. unless you don't know how far and desperate these boys are.[/quote

I am not saying there are no sophisticated software for these but my point is, 98% of the crimes on ATM are by petty thieves whose only brain capabilities are very low as to think to that level

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arrest Ex-banker, Undergraduates For Kidnapping And Robbery / Landlord Butchers Tenant To Death Over Rent / Woman Backing A Baby & Another Fight Over A Man (Video, Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.