Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians (27269 Views)

Phone Thieves Caught In Port Harcourt, Beaten To Pulp / Suspected Phone Thieves Stab Final Year ATBU Student To Death In Bauchi / Two Suspected Phone Thieves Beaten To Pulp In Jos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Dgunnerz(m): 2:48pm On Oct 24, 2017
Adaumunocha:
Thank God I don't use debit cards shocked
Hmmn.Credit card user!
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Marshalxv(m): 2:49pm On Oct 24, 2017
Me dropping all my ATM cards at home now to avoid stories that touch.
as for the app,I'll reinstall only when I need it.
I cannot come and go and do myself by myself .Lol

2 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by adedehinbo(m): 2:53pm On Oct 24, 2017
same thing happened to my Gtb account, 20k was withdrawn from my account without my consent,I had lost my ATM for the past 3months before which I didn't go ahead to block or retrieve, until I receive the alert that I board uber for 20k,well I thank God Gtb had refunded my money
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by father01: 2:54pm On Oct 24, 2017
Everything about this post is correct. The last time i visited my friends somewhere around Ajegunle, some one narrated his ordeal and advised that, we should always delete any detail that have to do with our bank transaction from our phone.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by femi4: 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2017
cbngov01:
Your write up was coherent but not valid! In e-banking u either stay secured or lose it all!...3banks,3atms and you move out with em at once?No soul, I repeat no soul can withdraw with ur atm card unless your password is compromised!For the lady who card was bought from her account I find d story funny but I will counter that another day...Stay safe, stay secured I'm with e banking all the way!
God bless you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by hurricanekatrina(f): 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2017
bvn no... doesn't curb theft 4get d grammer cbn os sayi.ng
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by femi4: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
adedehinbo:
same thing happened to my Gtb account, 20k was withdrawn from my account without my consent,I had lost my ATM for the past 3months before which I didn't go ahead to block or retrieve, until I receive the alert that I board uber for 20k,well I thank God Gtb had refunded my money
That was gtb issue, it has nothing to do with your atm. If you were defrauded, gtb won't refund your money

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by adedehinbo(m): 3:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
femi4:
That was gtb issue, it has nothing to do with your atm. If you were defrauded, gtb won't refund your money
hmmm u may be right though, later I met someone who had the same issue but she didn't lost her own ATM,it might truly be Gtb problem,which means nobody picks up my card to defraud me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by femi4: 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2017
adedehinbo:
hmmm u may be right though, later I met someone who had the same issue but she didn't lost her own ATM,it might truly be Gtb problem,which means nobody picks up my card to defraud me
yes, If you are truly defrauded, no bank will give you a refund

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ivolt: 3:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
cbngov01:
Your write up was coherent but not valid! In e-banking u either stay secured or lose it all!...3banks,3atms and you move out with em at once?No soul, I repeat no soul can withdraw with ur atm card unless your password is compromised!For the lady who card was bought from her account I find d story funny but I will counter that another day...Stay safe, stay secured I'm with e banking all the way!

They don't need to withdraw.
Online purchases require no pin and the fraudsters can
buy as much as they want.

I read that there is this "card cloning" technique that fraudsters use to make
withdrawals possible without pin, I don't know if it is true.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by saydfact(m): 3:15pm On Oct 24, 2017
sad but true - we need to be more internet safety aware
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Bullhari007(m): 3:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
you need my grand mum finger print to change and default my mobile banking .. only if they are willing to trace the old woman to the village and do that...
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Daboomb: 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
bettercreature:
You obviously dont know anything,Banking app is not what you can just delete and reinstall just like that without verification beside i must tell you most of these thiefs are friends and family and in some cases the owners are too careless sending their info to fraudstars,without all these it's next to impossible to steal money from your account

I have been using ATMS now for over 18yrs (internet banking too) and yet, not a penny has been stolen from me or my account so l wonder how all these stpries l hear about happen?

I carry my ATM and Phone around and l have only lost a mobile phone, once in 1998 (just bought it first time then).
I guess people need to reappraise how security conscious they are.

No one can withdraw your cash, using your lost ATM, without knowing your PIN..... except if you have not changed the bank-given default PIN and a bank staff is helping the frauds to leak the default PIN.

I beg, anybody interested in hacking me should please go ahead, l need to experience it. grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by saydfact(m): 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
ivolt:

They don't need to withdraw.
Online purchases require no pin and the fraudsters can
buy as much as they want.

I read that there is this "card cloning" technique that fraudsters use to make
withdrawals possible without pin, I don't know if it is true.

online withdrawal require pins and OTP (ur phone line) -

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Princedan50: 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2017
Some of the victims and their story tho. As long as Nigeria n e commerce is concerned someone cannot use just ur ATM card to purchase something online without ur phone, there's something called OTP(one time pin) for the transaction to go successfully u must receive the OTP via sms on ur phone then u will input the otp on the space provided by the e-commerce platform confirming u are the real owner of the card else the transaction will fail,for the buying of card for friends n family that one is still impossible cus u have to fill in ur banking pin before u airtime others if the person that stole ur phone recharged ur line only who did he/she call with the line the person can aswell be tracked n nabbed and it's highly impossible for one to withdraw with ur ATM card with ur pin. The story is just fiction to someone that knows about E banking n co. Buh for the sake of safety have minimum of two bank accounts let one have an ATM that u will put in ur spare money u can afford to lose even if there's an emergency expense that occurs u can transfer money from the one u have big money in with no ATM to the one with ATM then do ur transaction ASAP. For ur phone is highly suggestive to give ur SIM card a sim lock pin n also ur phone. Always delete bank related messages ur email is always their if u need to keep record of ur banking transactions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ivolt: 3:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
saydfact:

online withdrawal require pins and OTP (ur phone line) -

It doesn't, I have purchased items countless of time online and my pin was never requested
just the card name, number, and Security.

Don't ever let someone have your card, they do not need your pin for purchases.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by bigtt76(f): 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
All the Chip and PIN rubbish CBN sold to Nigerian bank account holders can be hacked within seconds. Just get a card chip reader boom, you can figure out the PIN to the card which is stored on the chip.

If you've used a POS you will notice that immediately you insert the PIN, it tells you correct before it starts the process of connecting to the POS processor's server for onward handshake with your bank.

Best thing to do is always have 2 bank accounts - one current and other savings. Let all your salaries go to the savings account and don't tie your bank card to that account, rather tie it to your current account. When you need money, transfer from your savings account to your current account the exact amount.

Try as much as possible to ensure you don't leave funds on your bank card account.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by saydfact(m): 3:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
ivolt:

It doesn't, I have purchased items countless of time online and my pin was never requested

which bank is that? i use GTB and i get OTP or i cant complete my transactions.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by CaptainFM1: 3:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
Mintayo:
With access bank mobile app, you can block your atm card, I don't know about other banks though.
As long as your phone is intact, just block it once you misplaced your card, you also can unlock it later.

Almost all banks application can do that!
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ivolt: 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2017
saydfact:

which bank is that? i use GTB and i get OTP or i cant complete my transactions.

Any bank, master or visa card.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Touchey: 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
ivolt:

Almost everything I buy is online and it requires OTP
I use almost all banks except FCMB
So what are you talking about?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by mechanics(m): 3:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the info, we just have to be extra careful, I don't even buy the idea of one carrying ATM cards all around.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by saydfact(m): 3:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
ivolt:

Any bank, master or visa card.

Maybe u shd get ur facts right...... They won'task u only if u have saved it on ur purchasing platform... But without u giving that authority they ask always.

See pics.

1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by CaptainFM1: 3:40pm On Oct 24, 2017
My submission is... Just be extremely careful when it comes to electronic banking systems.

Don't have your Phones, ATM cards, Tokens, Pins and Passwords all together in one place.

If you suspect any of them has been breached security wise, initiate complete lockdown on the account.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Adaumunocha(f): 3:40pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dgunnerz:

Hmmn.Credit card user!
Under my foam my bank. I don't trust banks angry

2 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by saydfact(m): 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
Touchey:

Almost everything I buy is online and it requires OTP
I use almost all banks except FCMB
So what are you talking about?

Thanks ooh... I was about asking myself if I'm sleeping and reading... Considering I do a lot of online transactions monthly..

2 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ngmgeek(m): 3:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
Adaumunocha:
Under my foam my bank. I don't trust banks angry

Why not? What happened?
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Ononachi(m): 3:43pm On Oct 24, 2017
How?

Mintayo:
With access bank mobile app, you can block your atm card, I don't know about other banks though.
As long as your phone is intact, just block it once you misplaced your card, you also can unlock it later.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Touchey: 3:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
saydfact:

Maybe u shd get ur facts right...... They won'task u only if u have saved it on ur purchasing platform... But without u giving that authority they ask always.

See pics.
It is even impossible to save your card pin on an online platform.
No website would encourage such.
Ivolt clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Adaumunocha(f): 3:45pm On Oct 24, 2017
ngmgeek:

Why not? What happened?
Got bankiphobia

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by seedsower(m): 3:46pm On Oct 24, 2017
You should have a personal saving account which will either not have an ATM at all or if they enforce it on you then you must bury or destroy it.

When you have need for money in that account, go to banking hall and use transfer form to transfer to your running account.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by ngmgeek(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2017
Adaumunocha:
Got bankiphobia

Lol! Too careless to hide money in the foam. Tried it and don't remember how it got lost. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Husband And Wife Declared Wanted For Absconding With Company's N5million. Photos / Police Arrest Ex-banker, Undergraduates For Kidnapping And Robbery / Landlord Butchers Tenant To Death Over Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.