Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians (27262 Views)

Suspected Phone Thieves Stab Final Year ATBU Student To Death In Bauchi / Two Suspected Phone Thieves Beaten To Pulp In Jos (Photos) / Phone Thieves Caught, Handcuffed & Made To Sing Publicly In Anambra (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Mowunmiaf: 11:43am On Oct 24, 2017
Victims recall devastating, real life experiences

By Cosmas Omegoh

This might be a caveat to many. If you are one of those who carry their banks on their hands, then this might interest you.

If you have a high-level passion for Internet banking, or you have your bank accounts wired straight into your cell phone, then you better be careful. If you also go about with your Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards in your pockets all the time, and make several visitations to the ATM as soon as you’re low on cash, this might also be a piece of warning.

There are lots of thieves out there targeting your cell phones and ATM cards. If you misplace any of them these days, you might be in trouble. They will have access to your bank account and proceed to drain everything in it to the last kobo. Many who have fallen prey to them in recent times are still sulking. In one fell swoop, the fraudsters swindled them of all the money they had toiled for. When the thieves steal cell phones, they use them to access the bank accounts of their victims.

Then they use the money to buy airtime for themselves and later, like Father Christmas, dish out the excess to their friends and loved ones. When they grab ATM cards, they change the pins and proceed to withdraw every kobo their victims have, leaving them with nothing but grief. No doubt, one of technology’s new gifts to humanity is Internet banking.

This ingenuity unarguably has been revolutionary – a radical departure from those banking ways of old, those days when accounts could only be domiciled in one branch. Accounts holders must carry passbooks about town, queuing inside banking halls, clutching their tally numbers while agonising for hours unending. All that is now a fairy tale. Innovations in the banking sector have quickened things. With a mere press of a single icon on your cell phone, you can transfer millions of cash across several hundreds of kilometres. Now, you don’t need to carry tons of cash on you anymore. Indeed, without doubt, things have radically changed for the better.

“But the more we have this technology-driven, banking, the more they tend to pop up fresh challenges which also threaten our existence.” This was the lamentation of Gerald, a man in Lagos who had his three ATM cards stolen recently and his entire live earnings wiped out by a callous thief. He said: “I maintain three bank accounts and have ATM cards attached to each. I always lodge the three cards in a pouch, which I carry about to help me make easy transactions.

“Nearly three weeks ago, I was on my way to Shomolu to transact a business. I stopped over at a bank in Yaba where I made some transactions. But I never knew how the pouch containing all my ATM cards slipped off. “Because I had a printing job that I must deliver early the next day, I could not go home. So I headed straight to my office to join the rest of my staff. “Shortly after midnight, I began receiving debit alerts. They were pouring in, in torrents.

I was alarmed. When I checked my phone, I discovered that the alerts were coming from all the three accounts. I watched helplessly as each account went down to zero kobo. All the transactions were carried out at an old generation bank on Agege Motor Road. “The fellow who picked up my pouch had waited till midnight because he discovered that I had made maximum withdrawals for the day before from two of my accounts. Perhaps he targeted to make the withdrawals simultaneously, leaving me no chance of blocking any of the accounts. “That was how he brought me to ground zero. Till this moment, it’s difficult for me to believe that it happened,” he lamented.

More pathetic were the woes of this young lady, Oby. She had completed her national service two years before now. She stayed at home without a job until recently. Two months ago, she secured a marketing job at one of the new generation banks with office in Ikeja. It was probably not her dream job, but she had to pick it anyway. The pay was not fantastic. For one whole month, she received no pay. So she had to use the money she had wisely. At the end of August, she was paid her salary which turned out to be her first earning ever. The money was lodged in the account she had opened with her employers.

She had received the alert late; she had to go home to inform her parents about her pay and ask for their blessings before making any withdraws. That night, she was elated that at last, she now had money to withdraw from. But she celebrated early. According to her, the moment she boarded the bus, a young man hopped in and sat beside her. Then, somewhere in the course of the journey, her phone rang. She took the call. Thereafter, she could not tell how she misplaced the set. Not until she got home. She sought for it to no avail. She called her number but it had been switched off. She didn’t suspect that the worse was yet to come. In painful tones, she told the rest of the story. “When I got to the office the next morning, I narrated the incident to my colleagues.

There and then, one of them promptly advised me to proceed to block my bank account before it was too late. “When I went to lodge the complaint, a check revealed that everything in the account had been used to purchase airtime. ‘But you have used your money to purchase airtime,’ the lady said. ‘What were you doing with that much airtime?’”
Oby recalled that she wept like a baby when she was told the unpalatable story. Every kobo in her new account was gone. She was distraught and rightly so.
“But that was not the end of the story,” she said. “After defrauding me, the fellow scrolled through my contacts. He rang my father and told him that he retrieved my phone. He asked him to either come to no specific address at Mile 2 or ask me to and pick the phone.”
A man who identified himself simply as Tony said having learnt the antics of the fraudsters, all he had been doing was to delete his account balance after every transaction. “I no longer take chances,” he said.
“Each time I receive a bank transaction alert, I memorise the account balance before deleting it. For me, that’s a better thing to do it.” Chizoba Ikenwa, an Internet Communication Technology (ICT) expert attested that it was very much possible for fraudsters to swindle people using their ATM cards. “It once happened to my uncle in the early days of the ATM card.One fateful Friday evening, he began receiving multiple alerts until all the money he had in his account was gone. He was advised by his bank to complain to the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN).

He did so several times but nothing came out of it. “But the idea of Bank Verification Number (BVN) which was introduced by the CBN tried to check the fraud to a little extent, same for the maximum daily withdrawal from ATM. But all that has not largely helped. “Fraudsters don’t require your pin to assess your money using your ATM card.

Some of them have this software that can crack the system. It is easy. “You must recall that right at the back of every ATM card, there are three-digit number, name of the card and its expiry date. With these data, fraudsters can go to online portals to buy things. “Quite frankly, ATMs in Nigeria are not secured. The system has lots of pitfall.

And so, if one loses his or her card, the right thing to do is to call the bank to block the card and deny whoever gets it access. “If the loss happens on a weekend, one can call the customer service department immediately. There is always a number to call but the problem is that banks have not created enough awareness around these numbers.“Even where the awareness has been made, don’t forget that many Nigerians are largely ignorant of such.

Imagine a market woman losing her card. She might not be able to contact the bank until all her money is gone.” He disclosed that sometimes some individuals help fraudsters to defraud them. “If you are around an ATM point, and you invite a stranger to help you sort out an issue, you might be creating an opportunity for them to defraud you. As the fraudster is helping you, he can memorise your card number and one or two other details about it and then go on to clone your card. Using a fake ATM, he can access your money. That is simple,” he warned.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/sunnewsonline.com/how-atm-mobile-phone-thieves-defraud-nigerians/amp/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by HungerBAD: 11:45am On Oct 24, 2017
Following.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 24, 2017
This should be on FP.

Get a different phone number linked to you banking profile, always keep that sim at home no matter what.

It's safer to download the banking app whenever you want to use it, once you're done delete it. I read a story of robbers forcing victims to login and make transfers.

It's amazing how these fraudsters drain bank acc without PIN, na wah o.

Bank customers need to keep dia banks fraud hotlines handy just in the case of stolen or lost cards, most of the numbers are available 24/7.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by dingbang(m): 12:01pm On Oct 24, 2017
Like I mentioned earlier, people still use easy to guess ATM passwords.... And they know in their hearts they do. Imagine someone's ATM password /mobile banking password is 1234/12345....

Tell me... Why won't fraudsters wipe away your money.... When u use year of birth as ur ATM password, why won't fraudsters wipe out your cash....?

The security of your ATM cards and your mobile banking is left to you alone...

Someone also will carry all his ATM cards inside one wallet...when they steal the wallet, everything is gone... Na you cause am ooo.... Why would you even be carrying all that in your wallet in the first place..

I only carry my ATM card with me when I want to withdraw... Asides that, I don't carry anything except the exact cash I want to spend that day....

and to all first bank customers who are still doing strong head to install the first bank mobile app, you are so on your own because when you fall a victim of ATM cars withdrawals from your account, nobody will save you.. Unless you have the mobile app, all you need to do is to disable the ATM card right from your mobile app and the fraudster will cease to have access to your funds... Its that simple.
Click my link to install the mobile app and follow the guidelines... Thank you

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Mowunmiaf: 1:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
cc;lalasticlala
fuckerstard:
This should be on FP.

Get a different phone number linked to you banking profile, always keep that sim at home no matter what.

It's safer to download the banking app whenever you want to use it, once you're done delete it. I read a story of robbers forcing victims to login and make transfers.

Bank customers need to keep dia banks fraud hotlines handy just in the case of stolen or lost cards, most of the numbers are available 24/7.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by miano: 2:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
9ja get brain for those kind things
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Kobicove(m): 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2017
These guy always come up with a new method once an existing weakness is 'plugged' undecided
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by bettercreature(m): 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2017
fuckerstard:
This should be on FP.

You obviously dont know anything,Banking app is not what you can just delete and reinstall just like that without verification beside i must tell you most of these thiefs are friends and family and in some cases the owners are too careless sending their info to fraudstars,without all these it's next to impossible to steal money from your account

16 Likes

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2017
Wehdone sirs
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
Check my signature.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by iekene(m): 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
Seen
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Fsilney: 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
This is sad
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by NCANTaskForce: 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
Nice speech
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Adaumunocha(f): 2:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
Thank God I don't use debit cards shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hmmm
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by AjalaJ(m): 2:36pm On Oct 24, 2017
He who has a ear, let them hear.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: .com.ng
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 24, 2017
smiley stories like this means that we should be careful in our dealings.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by KehnnyCares(m): 2:37pm On Oct 24, 2017
Nice info
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Florblu(f): 2:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
And if i catch any of these criminals terrorizing innocent citizens.........

Your end is near
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by olaboy1: 2:40pm On Oct 24, 2017
Pls guys vote for my cousin by following this link,,pls share also for me...I’m counting on you guys let’s do it.

https://misssagamubeautypageant2017..se/2017/10/OLUNLOYEMUYIWA.html?m=1
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by cbngov01(m): 2:40pm On Oct 24, 2017
Your write up was coherent but not valid! In e-banking u either stay secured or lose it all!...3banks,3atms and you move out with em at once?No soul, I repeat no soul can withdraw with ur atm card unless your password is compromised!For the lady who card was bought from her account I find d story funny but I will counter that another day...Stay safe, stay secured I'm with e banking all the way!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Mintayo(m): 2:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
With access bank mobile app, you can block your atm card, I don't know about other banks though.
As long as your phone is intact, just block it once you misplaced your card, you also can unlock it later.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by MorataFC: 2:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hnmmm
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by yomalex(m): 2:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
hmm
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nbote(m): 2:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
All mobile apps now have d block ATM card option. Atleast my access , first and Eco has it. Some of us make it easy for dis fraudstars with our choice of pin.

1 Like

Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by awoo47: 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2017
bettercreature:
You obviously dont know anything,Banking app is not what you can just delete and reinstall just like that without verification beside i must tell you most of these thiefs are friends and family and in some cases the owners are too careless sending their info to fraudstars,without all these it's next to impossible to steal money from your account
is it possible for fraudster to buy things online with knowledge of only ur last 4 digits nd expiring date??
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2017
bettercreature:

Okay sir.
Re: How ATM & Phone Thieves Defraud Unsuspecting Nigerians by Eberex(m): 2:48pm On Oct 24, 2017
But seriously. The only thing that can be done when they get hold of your ATM is to buy stuffs online. Which kin yeye software dem get wey go show them ya PIN. Ta!

the card number and the 3-security numbers are what is needed to shop online. And only for those quack shops where the name of the card owner is not important. If it were , most of the transactions would not be completed. Unless of course your wallet was stolen, in which case your identity card will KOBA you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gunmen Attack Bullion Van In Ondo, Kill Two Policemen / Landlord Butchers Tenant To Death Over Rent / Husband And Wife Declared Wanted For Absconding With Company's N5million. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.