Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (13605 Views)

Alcohol And Gambling (Islam Vs Christianity) / Islam vs Christianity. / Egypt Vs Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

We are talking about Christianity and you are talking about the catholic church . But if I mention the atheist tyrants who killed people for questioning atheism and acknowledging God's existence ,will you accept that atheism rejects skepticism ?

When your own logic comes back to bite you

I was a catholic before you were born, sippy.

And the catholic church was christianity in the early century. No church present today has an older history.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 9:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

What is this religious skepticism you keep talking about? If one was truly skeptic about religion, one wouldnt remain religious.

How many atheists did you know in Europe in the early centuries?

What you call "religious skeptiism" is actually "theological differences". Meaning that these theologians/clergy men were believers- they just differed on the level of belief.

For instance, there are two people. One says that the sky is green. The other says that the sky is dark green. Both are skeptic of each others claims but both are wrong.

Scepticism simply means DOUBT and not outright denial.

One can be sceptical of religion but still be religious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:20pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

I was a catholic before you were born, sippy.

And the catholic church was christianity in the early century. No church present today has an older history.

Irrelevant

Answer this question : But if I mention the atheist tyrants who killed people for questioning atheism and acknowledging God's existence ,will you accept that atheism rejects skepticism ?

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

We are talking about Christianity and you are talking about the catholic church . But if I mention the atheist tyrants who killed people for questioning atheism and acknowledging God's existence ,will you accept that atheism rejects skepticism ?

When your own logic comes back to bite you

He believes the Catholic Church means Christianity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Exactly . Religious skepticism allows for adherents of one religion to be skeptical of another religion .

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

He believes the Catholic Church means Christianity

That's the problem . And the way he is obdurate about though . His own topic says Christianity and he is talking of Catholic Church . Such confusion grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You do realise that atheists/agnostics are usually called skeptics?
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 9:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly . Religious skepticism allows for adherents of one religion to be skeptical of another religion .

Jackbizzle is so ignorant it's laughable cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Jackbizzle is so ignorant it's laughable cheesy

grin grin grin

As in eh cheesy

Very hilarious something . I just dey tear myself with laughter

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by budaatum: 9:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

Simple "yes" or "no", my guy dey blow grammar. undecided
Oh move on for Christ sake. The man already accepted his mistake.

KingEbukasBlog:

indoctrination(to accept something uncritically)
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

Anyone can be a skeptic . I am a skeptic too . I am skeptical about any position that denies or questions the existence of God .
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
budaatum:

Oh move on for Christ sake. The man already accepted his mistake.

Don't take my position out of context please

KingEbukasBlog:

Sir , you don't need to bother them about the true meaning of indoctrination . Whether is to teach , or to accept something uncritically it really does not matter ( we all know it means originally to teach )

Let's see it this way :

If it is to teach , yes we were indoctrinated in Christianity

If it is to accept what is being taught uncritically , no we weren't in Christianity : https://www.nairaland.com/4136342/atheism-vs-christianity-which-one/1#61737386

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

You do realise that religious skepticism is not the sole proprietorship of atheists and agnostics.

A religious fellow can be skeptical of a particular teaching by a religion but not the whole religion.

So skepticism does not imply denial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Irrelevant

Answer this question : But if I mention the atheist tyrants who killed people for questioning atheism and acknowledging God's existence ,will you accept that atheism rejects skepticism ?

The catholic church is not christianity but please, consider these facts.

1. In the early centuries, the catholic church was christianity. It had the power and the authority before the protestants came

2. The catholic church has over a billion members. It is the largest and most influential christian denomination...not to mention the oldest.

It should be acceptable to use them as the representative of christianity.. Or should I use your mushroom church? grin
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 9:28pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

First , there is a problem we have to identify and that's the presupposition from the OP that there is indoctrination(to accept something uncritically ) in Christianity . There is not , if there were we won't have different biblical interpretations , sects in Christianity , and schools of thought in Christian theology . And why is this so ? Because Christianity allows for skepticism believe .

Example :
Being skeptical about believe in the literal interpretation of the bible , we have St Augustine's allegorical exegesis
Being skeptical about Believe in the divinity of Christ led to Arianism
Critical examinationBelieve in God's providence and freewill led to Molinism
Critical examination aboutBelieve in the book of revelation led to preterism
Critical look at howBelieve on how God establishes His presence with man led to Sandemanianism

The list is endless ...

Christian theology in fact allows for rationality while studying the tenants of Christianity and the bible .

As a child I wasn't told to take whatever being taught to me as facts . Look at me moving from creationism , progressive creationism and now to special creationism .

If Christianity allowed indoctrination as the OP claims, there wouldn't be Christian theology , St Thomas Aquinas wouldn't have made arguments for God's existence to defend his belief . Irish priest George Berkeley's profound argument for idealism - Esse est percipi - wouldn't have been made . George Lemaitre , the Belgian priest wouldn't have developed the Big Bang Theory , Christian archaeologists wouldn't bother to verify the stories in the bible etc . The list again is endless ...
FIXED!!!
Everyone knows there is no skepticism in Christianity simply because Christianity appeals to an unquestionable authority which is god. Hence anything said is believed without given a second thought so long as it comes from the bible which is believed by Christians to be the true word of god.

Being skeptical means challenging the bible, which implies challenging god's authority.

So use the right words next time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:29pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

The catholic church is not christianity but please, consider these facts.

1. In the early centuries, the catholic church was christianity. It had the power and the authority before the protestants came

2. The catholic church has over a billion members. It is the largest and most influential christian denomination...not to mention the oldest.

It should be acceptable to use them as the representative of christianity.. Or should I use your mushroom church? grin

Irrelevant

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:29pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You do realise that religious skepticism is not the sole proprietorship of atheists and agnostics.

A religious fellow can be skeptical of a particular teaching by a religion but not the whole religion.

So skepticism does not imply denial.

You are right.

But if one is truly skeptical of religion, one wouldnt be part of that religion.

The skepticism you talk about is not deep. That is why i called it theological differences.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
chemystery:
FIXED!!!
Everyone knows there is no skepticism in Christianity simply because Christianity appeals to an unquestionable authority which is god. Hence anything said is believed without given a second thought so long as it comes from the bible which is believed by Christians to be the true word of god.

Being skeptical means challenging the bible, which implies challenging god's authority.

So use the right words next time

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:34pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Irrelevant

It was their animus! Just kidding, just kidding!

Atheism does not accept or reject anything except the existence of God. Atheism does not accept the existence of God.

By default an atheist is skeptical about the existence of God. The same atheist could believe in magical tea leaves or lucky stars.

Atheism's only deal with skepticism is with the existence of god which is quite a logical one.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

You are right.

But if one is truly skeptical of religion, one wouldnt be part of that religion.

I can see you are really struggling to understand these simple terms . You can be skeptical while holding a position or stance on a particular issue and you can be skeptical without holding any position or stance .

That's why it is called religious skepticism . And this includes being skeptical while being religious and being skeptical without being religious .

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

It was their animus! Just kidding, just kidding!

Atheism does not accept or reject anything except the existence of God. Atheism does not accept the existence of God.

By default an atheist is skeptical about the existence of God. The same atheist could believe in magical tea leaves or lucky stars.

Atheism's only deal with skepticism is with the existence of god which is quite a logical one.

Irrelevant

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:38pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

Theism's only deal with skepticism is questioning anything that questions the existence of God which is quite a logical one.

Atheism : I'm rational because I question God's existence

Theism : I'm rational because I question anything that questions God's existence

All na skepticism shey ? grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by budaatum: 9:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

Of course. But it does prove that it was not an omniscient or all mighty being from the bible that orchestrated it.
Not pertaining to this thread's topic, but:
Excuse me? Where does anything said on this thread so far prove "omniscient or all mighty being from the bible" did not orchestrate evolution?

In another thread perhaps, so as not to derail this one!
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I can see you are really struggling to understand these simple terms . You can be skeptical while holding a position or stance on a particular issue and you can be skeptical without holding any position or stance .

That's why it is called religious skepticism . And this includes being skeptical while being religious and being skeptical without being religious .

Thus enters the issue of "weak" and "strong" skepticism.

At this point, sleep dey catch me. I wan sleep.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Theism's only deal with skepticism is questioning anything that questions the existence of God which is quite a logical one.

Atheism : I'm rational because I question God's existence

Theism : I'm rational because I question anything that questions God's existence

All na skepticism shey ? grin

The statement under theism is not only illogical but dogmatic and daft.

Questioning anything that questions God's existence is a biased absolutism.

Good nite
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
chemystery:

This is just ignorance . There are Christians that don't agree to bible inerrancy . Challenging the bible does not mean challenging God's authority .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_inerrancy#Criticism

3 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
budaatum:

Excuse me? Where does anything said on this thread so far prove "omniscient or all mighty being from the bible" did not orchestrate evolution?

The point was that the teaching of religious evolution is indoctrination. Evolution and God (of the bible) are incompatible.

Kindly Swerve.

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by budaatum: 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

His own topic says Christianity and he is talking of Catholic Church . Such confusion grin

The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church, with more than 1.29 billion members worldwide. Wiki
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
budaatum:

Woah ! This is new . Another atheist spotting the shallow reasoning from another atheist ? Good things to come ? grin

3 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

The statement under theism is not only illogical but dogmatic and daft.

Questioning anything that questions God's existence is a biased absolutism.

Good nite

The statement under atheism is not only illogical but dogmatic and daft.

Questioning God's existence is a biased absolutism.

Good nite

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by budaatum: 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:

The point was that the teaching of religious evolution is indoctrination. Evolution and God (of the bible) are incompatible.

Kindly Swerve.
Don't swerve me! The title of the thread is

(Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination?)

No where is evolution mentioned in the title or the body of the opening thread. You prove your point or swerve yourself!

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2017
budaatum:

The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church, with more than 1.29 billion members worldwide. Wiki

Catholic Church is not Christianity and Christianity is not Catholic Church .

You are subtly making an appeal to the majority (argumentum ad populum ) and that is fallacious

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Create Your Thoughts, Don't Let Your Thoughts Create You... / Get The Last Two Digit Of Your Date Of Birth Using The Bible / Redeemed Church Scandal - Adeboye's Deputy Impregnates Secretary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.