Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience (347307 Views)

Former Erosion Site Transformed Into A Green Park In Uyo (Before & After Photos) / B1/B2 Change Of Status To F1 / B1/B2 Change Of Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (110) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 4:16am On Feb 10, 2018
The snow na die today
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by doctorseven: 12:43pm On Feb 10, 2018
sevule:

@blowjobs Sorry been very busy, I used my Naija birth certificate. There is absolutely NO problem with using your Naija birth certificate, I am not sure where Lionell got his information from. The only problem is if you are using age declaration or something similar. If you lost your original birth certificate you can get another one from the hospital where you were born.
I just did my green card interview this week and I will give a rundown of how it went later today.

please can you highlight the cons of using age declaration in ur quote, with a little emphasis on recent one.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Donaltus: 12:56pm On Feb 10, 2018
I don drink all the whole coffee finish for Chicago because cold,i think am getting use to it.snow just full everywhere
lionlee216:
The snow na die today

5 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 1:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
Donaltus:
I don drink all the whole coffee finish for Chicago because cold,i think am getting use to it.snow just full everywhere

grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by sevule(m): 4:55pm On Feb 10, 2018
lionlee216:

A friend went for green card interview and the officer told him that NPC attestation of birth is not allowed and he got RFE for birth certificate on the spot.

I Got rfe too and my birth certificate. I used NPC attestation of birth.. my friend got rfe too.

The only person that didn't get was the one that used birth certificate

@lionlee looks like we are both saying the same thing. Attestation of birth or Certificate of declaration of age is a big No No. They want to see your actual birth certificate. You can always contact the hospital you were born in and they will issue you another birth certificate. By the way what is NPC?
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by shakol91(m): 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2018
sevule:

By the way what is NPC?
National Population Commission the body is in charge of population census
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by samuel058: 6:30pm On Feb 10, 2018
Abeg bros, tell the op of that thread to come back to Nigeria. We go find 80k job for him. Lol

This was my reply on the same thread
https://www.nairaland.com/4144074/lies-nigerians-living-america/9#61873109
https://www.nairaland.com/4144074/lies-nigerians-living-america/21#61884553
https://www.nairaland.com/4144074/lies-nigerians-living-america/22#61885227

Check this thread on page 1 or 2, i posted my last 2 paychecks
I work with Guy M, like i said and we work everyday (except client canceled). in September, we worked all 30 days. He pays $80 cash every day. We work from 8am to 12pm most times. sometimes even 11am. If the job for the day is far away, driving and traffic might extend it to 1/2 pm. most jobs take 30mins-1hr:30mins to complete [/quote]
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 4:01pm On Feb 12, 2018
*Adjustment of Status*

Quick Update.

Heading for my biometrics appointment. There was snow storm last week (8 inches) so rescheduled to this morning.

I am extremely tired. Din't have much sleep. Mrs K is having this weird skin reaction. It looks like when you got bitten by those tiny fruit flies looking insects. Maybe we should be expecting. Regardless, we are not in a rush to have kids. When the time comes, i am trying to convince her to give birth in Canada. She thinks it is the stupidest idea and waste of time grin. But as Naija guy, if you grown up with limited resources and opportunities, you want all available options and opportunities for your kids.

I'll be following the "giving birth in Canada thread" to learn one or two things about it.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Afam4eva(m): 4:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:
*Adjustment of Status*

Quick Update.

Heading for my biometrics appointment. There was snow storm last week (8 inches) so rescheduled to this morning.

I am extremely tired. Din't have much sleep. Mrs K is having this weird skin reaction. It looks like when you got bitten by those tiny fruit flies looking insects. Maybe we should be expecting. Regardless, we are not in a rush to have kids. When the time comes, i am trying to convince her to give birth in Canada. She thinks it is the stupidest idea and waste of time grin. But as Naija guy, if you grown up with limited resources and opportunities, you want all available options and opportunities for your kids.

I'll be following the "giving birth in Canada thread" to learn one or two things about it.
Wise man...we must have investments in different parts of the world.

14 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
Biometrics Done.

Back to the waiting game.

This thing don taya me. sad

5 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 5:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

Wise man...we must have investments in different parts of the world.

Na so bros. With the way Trump dey para, e no bad if my Pikin be Canadian American (and Nigerian if dem want grin)

Not only that, It gives kids a wider pool of job, travel, educational opportunities and experience unrestricted by Visa applications.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Adesquare1992: 5:36pm On Feb 12, 2018
Hello BJ

To be brutally honest with you,going through this thread wasn't only helpful,the optimism and drive to pursue my goals was rekindled. Some of the stories shared only affirms that it won't be easy but,with the right and determined mindset,they are achievable.

My name is Ade and I recently completed the National Youth Service Programme. Tentatively,Nigeria isn't the right place to develop myself and unlike most Christians,I don't have enough faith to wait for that political change we have longed desired.

I studied Philosophy and finished with a CGPA of 3.75,working with the Nigeria police force was a deciding factor when I chose to study philosophy with the aim of taking a master degree in criminology and security studies to boost my cv. My brother,as it stands,I cannot work with the Nigeria police force for some personal reasons which I only realised very recently. Maybe in the nearest future,but for now,I can't.

Relocating to the United States is perhaps the dream of virtually every Nigerians. I finally came to the conclusion that I must leave Nigeria,tentatively though. If this must be achievable,what are the "right" steps to take.

Any channel deemed pragmatic is also acceptable. Every possible means no matter how rigorous is also acceptable.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 7:49pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:
Biometrics Done.

Back to the waiting game.

This thing don taya me. sad
Lolss @BJ,...well done on your AOS steps taken so far..it will sure end in praise but you need not become too worried,anxious or impatience over this thing.it will drop at the right time no matter how you feel,you are already on the right track.
Just focus more on what you have been doing before this whole thing started and take your attention off it completely cos thinking about it would just make it look too slow to you or taking longer time than expected.
It's gonna be well my brother.Good luck
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 7:53pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:

Na so bros. With the way Trump dey para, e no bad if my Pikin be Canadian American (and Nigerian if dem want grin)

Not only that, It gives kids a wider pool of job, travel, educational opportunities and experience unrestricted by Visa applications.
Haha...Trump is not gonna be president for ever but are you in anyway saying kids born in Canada have more global opportunities than those born in US??..
I don't just understand what you are trying to say here.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by yemiosinbajo: 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:

And such a kid misses the opportunity of ever becoming the president of the United States.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Beautyaddy: 8:52pm On Feb 12, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

And such a kid misses the opportunity of ever becoming the president of the United States.

Lol! May be BJ wants his child to become the PM of Canada and not the Pres. of US cheesy
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 8:58pm On Feb 12, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

That's not true.,he can as well become the president cos one of his parents is a US citizen at birth.
Take Texas senator Ted Cruz as a typical example.he was never born in the United states but ran for the presidency last time.
Seriously don't understand why a US citizen would want to go and give birth in Canada.

10 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Dremca(m): 10:53pm On Feb 12, 2018
The office of the president and the vice president is reserved for a citizen born in usa. https://www.USA.gov/election
Nig4Greatness:
That's not true.,he can as well become the president cos one of his parents is a US citizen at birth.
Take Texas senator Ted Cruz as a typical example.he was never born in the United states but ran for the presidency last time.
Seriously don't understand why a US citizen would want to go and give birth in Canada.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by campariquad: 5:11am On Feb 13, 2018
Dremca:
The office of the president and the vice president is reserved for a citizen born in usa. https://www.USA.gov/election

Meanwhile men that werent born is USA have contested to the highest office of the land (President). Ted Cruz was born in Canada. John McCain was born in Panama. George Romney (Mitt Romey's father) was born in mexico.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by samuel058: 6:43am On Feb 13, 2018
[Yea. I had wanted to say this....white has very strong mood swing. Thank God you know.quote author=BlowJobs post=62533957]

I still will do lots of stuff. I just have to make sure i satisfy her first. She has been the realest girl in my life ever.

BUT,

Make i tell you something. I will only say this once. I'll never mention this again, maybe i will edit this in future so i will put it in a quote

[/quote]
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by TUBLEZ(m): 3:46pm On Feb 13, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Lolss @BJ,...well done on your AOS steps taken so far..it will sure end in praise but you need not become too worried,anxious or impatience over this thing.it will drop at the right time no matter how you feel,you are already on the right track.
Just focus more on what you have been doing before this whole thing started and take your attention off it completely cos thinking about it would just make it look too slow to you or taking longer time than expected.
It's gonna be well my brother.Good luck
Wow, I need to copy this text and send to my fiancé she's over worrying her self abt the paper stuff saying it's taking too long than expected.. This should encourage her
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by sevule(m): 6:06pm On Feb 13, 2018
Green Card Interview Experience

My application for a Green Card was based on marriage and I received the i797c notice notifying me of the interview 3 weeks in advance. Obviously I was not going to wing, this so I ensured that I gathered all the necessary documents and put in a file before the interview. We got to the address where the interview was to be held 10 minutes early but as a Naija boy I was looking for cheap parking. My wife was freaking out at this point and told me to park in a garage that charged $15 but I convinced her to give me 5 minutes and I eventually found a parking spot where we paid $2.

We took an elevator to the floor that housed the USCIS office and we presented our interview notice to the security guards before they let us enter the waiting area. Security was very tight and reminded me of an airport. Our bags were scanned in an xray machine and we went through a metal detector. After registering at the front desk we got a number and we were told to wait for our number to be called. We waited for about 15 minutes before our number was called and a lady came to meet us requesting for our documents. I gave her the folder with all our documents but she said she only wanted documents that we did not send along with our original application. After collecting the documents, she ushered us into her office and told us to raise our right hands and swear to tell the truth. She then introduced herself and I cracked a joke to lighten the mood. We sat down and she proceeded to ask my wife the following questions

What is your name?
When were you born?
Where were you born?
When did you get married?
When was your spouse born?
Were was your spouse born?

After my wife answered the questions, she asked me the same questions she asked my wife and some additional questions
Where did you get married?
When did you come into the country?
When was the last time you left the USA? I could not remember the exact date but she seemed okay with it and told me to estimate the year.
When she asked me where my wife was born, for the life of me I could not remember the exact city. I laughed and told her I could not remember the city but I told her the county she was born in.
How many people are living with you?

My wife is pregnant so I joked and told we are 2+1 living in the house. You have to remember that the interviewer is a human being and if you can, try to establish some rapport with the interviewing officer. It will make the interview a lot easier.

After the intial question and answer session, she asked if we had proof of marriage. I gave her 40 pictures in a clear envelope and informed her that the pictures were arranged in chronological order. The pictures were from when we first started dating, our wedding, our honeymoon in Hawaii and some post marriage pictures. She looked at the pictures and nodded her head as she flipped through the pictures. She then informed us that she will keep 10 pictures for my file. Prior to this time I scanned the internet looking for ways to present the pictures - should it be in album etc? Tip - Don't even bother with the album, just put the pictures in an envelope and you will be fine.

I also presented copies of insurance documents in our names, a printout of texts we sent when we were dating and utility bills as evidence of our marriage. AT this junction she asked us to tell her how we met and she added that the question was for the both of us. My wife gave some background detail on how we met and I filled in the rest. I noticed that she was scribbling furiously as we talked and she filled at least a page with notes. I should add that this question is probably the Immigration equivalent of asking "Tell me why I should hire you".

Finally she proceeded to ask me questions from the i485 form I filled when I applied. Questions like are you a terrorist, war criminal, rapist, murderer etc. As I answered she referred to a form in front of her and checked some boxes. One thing I did notice during the interview, was that she compared our responses with different forms. Basically they are looking for inconsistencies in your response and in what you filled out in your application. It is okay if you and your wife don't fully agree on an answer because the interviewing officers know that husbands and wives don't always agree on everything. However you don't want to disagree on important questions like where were you married. That is a clear sign of an "arrangee" wedding.

When she finished asking her questions, she informed me that my i693 (Medical Examination and Vaccination record) was expired as it was more than a year old. Due to this, she could not immediately approve my green card but as soon as I submit a new i693, my Green Card application will be approved. So another tip for folks going for a green card interview is to check the expiry date of their i693. If it is expired, get a new one(sealed) and take it with you to the interview as this can delay your green card.

In conclusion, as long as you are genuinely married and living together, the chances of you failing the interview is very slim. I will write another post on tips for the interview but I need to go and do what I am paid to do which is work

53 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by PromixTuhh(m): 6:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
[quote author=sevule post=65037623]Green Card Interview Experience

Congratulations
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by warriboy21(m): 7:05pm On Feb 13, 2018
sevule:

My application for a Green Card was based on marriage and I received the i797c notice notifying me of the interview 3 weeks in advance. Obviously I was not going to wing, this so I ensured that I gathered all the necessary documents and put in a file before the interview. We got to the address where the interview was to be held 10 minutes early but as a Naija boy I was looking for cheap parking. My wife was freaking out at this point and told me to park in a garage that charged $15 but I convinced her to give me 5 minutes and I eventually found a parking spot where we paid $2.

We took an elevator to the floor that housed the USCIS office and we presented our interview notice to the security guards before they let us enter the waiting area. Security was very tight and reminded me of an airport. Our bags were scanned in an xray machine and we went through a metal detector. After registering at the front desk we got a number and we were told to wait for our number to be called. We waited for about 15 minutes before our number was called and a lady came to meet us requesting for our documents. I gave her the folder with all our documents but she said she only wanted documents that we did not send along with our original application. After collecting the documents, she ushered us into her office and told us to raise our right hands and swear to tell the truth. She then introduced herself and I cracked a joke to lighten the mood. We sat down and she proceeded to ask my wife the following questions

What is your name?
When were you born?
Where were you born?

After my wife answered the questions, she asked me the same questions she asked my wife and some additional questions
When was the last time you left the USA? I could not remember the exact date but she seemed okay with it and told me to estimate the year.
When she asked me where my wife was born, for the life of me I could not remember the exact city. I laughed and told her I could not remember the city but I told her the county she was born in.

My wife is pregnant so I joked and told we are 2+1 living in the house. You have to remember that the interviewer is a human being and if you can, try to establish some rapport with the interviewing officer. It will make the interview a lot easier.

After the intial question and answer session, she asked if we had proof of marriage. I gave her 40 pictures in a clear envelope and informed her that the pictures were arranged in chronological order. The pictures were from when we first started dating, our wedding, our honeymoon in Hawaii and some post marriage pictures. She looked at the pictures and nodded her head as she flipped through the pictures. She then informed us that she will keep 10 pictures for my file. Prior to this time I scanned the internet looking for ways to present the pictures - should it be in album etc? Tip - Don't even bother with the album, just put the pictures in an envelope and you will be fine.

I also presented copies of insurance documents in our names, a printout of texts we sent when we were dating and utility bills as evidence of our marriage. AT this junction she asked us to tell her how we met and she added that the question was for the both of us. My wife gave some background detail on how we met and I filled in the rest. I noticed that she was scribbling furiously as we talked and she filled at least a page with notes. I should add that this question is probably the Immigration equivalent of asking "Tell me why I should hire you".

Finally she proceeded to ask me questions from the i485 form I filled when I applied. Questions like are you a terrorist, war criminal, rapist, murderer etc. As I answered she referred to a form in front of her and checked some boxes. One thing I did notice during the interview, was that she compared our responses with different forms. Basically they are looking for inconsistencies in your response and in what you filled out in your application. It is okay if you and your wife don't fully agree on an answer because the interviewing officers know that husbands and wives don't always agree on everything. However you don't want to disagree on important questions like where were you married. That is a clear sign of an "arrangee" wedding.

When she finished asking her questions, she informed me that my i693 (Medical Examination and Vaccination record) was expired as it was more than a year old. Due to this, she could not immediately approve my green card but as soon as I submit a new i693, my Green Card application will be approved. So another tip for folks going for a green card interview is to check the expiry date of their i693. If it is expired, get a new one(sealed) and take it with you to the interview as this can delay your green card.

In conclusion, as long as you are genuinely married and living together, the chances of you failing the interview is very slim. I will write another post on tips for the interview but I need to go and do what I am paid to do which is work

Wow congratulations

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Dremca(m): 7:50pm On Feb 13, 2018
Oga boss, we dey wait for your own green card interview via marriage or H1B as you don bag first class. Naija no dey carry last. You're an inspiration to many who think they can't do better, from 2.2 to 2.. Bravo
warriboy21:

Wow congratulations

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2018
Dremca:
The website quoted is not run by US govt.but what the "natural born" laws clearly states is that any child born abroad to a US citizen is considered a natural born.
Simply put,irrespective of where a child is born,is a US citizen at birth and can vie for the presidency of the United States.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Dremca(m): 8:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
Please note that no private entity can use the domain extension .gov, which is exclusively reserved for government bodies anywhere in the world.
Nig4Greatness:
The website quoted is not run by US govt.but what the "natural born" laws clearly states is that any child born abroad to a US citizen is considered a natural born.
Simply put,irrespective of where a child is born,is a US citizen at birth and can vie for the presidency of the United States.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
sevule:

WOW brother, Thank you for your input. I am nervous. i really am. i can't stop thinking about the interview. My wife isn't taking it serious like i am. She has no worries she has never applied for any visa in her entire life so she really don't understand what a green card interview can be like. she just kept saying don't worry. i'll copy and save this your experience somewhere with other people's experiences too, print them out and make a folder for my wife to read.

Maybe i am just overthinking but i am taking this too serious, 150% serious.

once again, thanks

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Fish123(m): 12:01am On Feb 14, 2018
Congratulations bro,more success to you [quote author=sevule post=65037623]Green Card Interview Experience

My application for a Green Card was based on marriage and I received the i797c notice notifying me of the interview 3 weeks in advance. Obviously I was not going to wing, this so I ensured that I gathered all the necessary documents and put in a file before the interview. We got to the address where the interview was to be held 10 minutes early. My wife was freaking out at this point and told me to park in a garage that charged $15 but I convinced her to give me 5 minutes and I eventually found a parking spot where we paid $2.

What is your name?
When were you born?
Where were you born?

When she finished asking her questions, she informed me that my i693 (Medical Examination and Vaccination record) was expired as it was more than a year old. Due to this, she could not immediately approve my green card but as soon as I submit a new i693, my Green Card application will be approved. So another tip for folks going for a green card interview is to check the expiry date of their i693. If i[......]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by warriboy21(m): 1:38am On Feb 14, 2018
Dremca:
Oga boss, we dey wait for your own green card interview via marriage or H1B as you don bag first class. Naija no dey carry last. You're an inspiration to many who think they can't do better, from 2.2 to 2.. Bravo

Haha make bj and all find wife for me na grin
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by sahm4u2nv(m): 3:02am On Feb 14, 2018
Laughing hysterically, proudly Naija just that Lady K won't understand.
Join you soon for either my PhD or another MSC

.cheers
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by sahm4u2nv(m): 3:05am On Feb 14, 2018
BlowJobs:
*Adjustment of Status*

Quick Update.

Laughing hysterically, proudly Naija just that Lady K won't understand.
Join you soon for either my PhD or another MSC

.cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (110) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Brazil / Somali Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Africa! / At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.