Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. (27969 Views)

James Adichie Is Dead! Father Of Chimamanda Adichie Dies / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Kundagarten: 7:06am On Oct 27, 2017
What a stupid and senseless article. I am a card carrying member of PDP but it does not make me lose my sense of rationality to support the odious fascist Donald Trump and what he stands for.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by WaffenSS(m): 7:07am On Oct 27, 2017
SSBN:

Melania Trump short story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
​Nigeria's very own Chimananda Ngozi Adichie wrote a ridiculous piece for the New York Times Magazine where she reffered to America's first lady Michelle Trump as - in her own words :

" ...the reluctant wife of the president who displays an unease with her political fame. And she's a little bit racist too."

She wrote a micro-novel - Janelle Asked to the Bedroom, which is about a conversation between a forlorn Mellania Trump and her Pilates instructor Janelle. Chimananda potrayts Trump as envious of her predecessor's natural ease in the role of First Lady, She refers to America's first Lady as Mrs T all through. In her story Mrs T showed Janelle a video she's been watching on YouTube of Michelle Obama visiting classroom. She also reveals folder full of pictures of Obama in her laptop.
"Look at this. I always look at them for the inspiration", She says.

In this fictional world, Mrs T's only source of joy comes from her 11 year old autistic son, Baron. Here we have our very own Chimananda exhibiting Mellania as someone who exhibits casual racism that her husband, President Donald Trump, is often accused of sharing.

Mrs T makes a prejudicial remark when Janelle informs her that her son has been accepted to Harvard University. “He got scholarship to go?” she asks. “How automatic, this assumption of a scholarship, and Janelle knew she meant a scholarship not of smarts but of skin,” writes Adichie.

Here we have our very own Chimananda trying to depict a strained relationship between Mellania Trump and Donald Trump's children from previous marriages, particularly Ivanka Trump, whose close relationship with her husband she ensues.
Dear Chimananda Ngozi Adichie, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your trash reeks of racism, hate and insecurity. It is sad that you have chosen to drop the culture of integrity and respect that is the core of Nigerian values and join the morbid cry baby the world is against us self victimization culture of African Americans who have made the black race the cry baby of the world.

You hail from a country that still has a long way to go when it comes to social development. Rather than use your God given gift as a platform to push for reforms, to push for the old cabals to give young and capable Nigerians the chance to pilot the affairs of this country, you are out there insulting the wife and autistic child of another man simply because you do not like him.

You are not American. You did not even vote, yet you are playing propaganda for the wife of a man who spat on your own country. It is Obama who warned of grave consequences for Nigeria if the President goes ahead with his anti-same sex marriage legislation. When President Jonathan gave Obama the middle finger for trying to impose an alien culture It was Obama who for the first time in 30 years stopped the importation of Nigeria's oil. The consequence was an economic recession for Nigeria on a scale not seen in nearly three decades.

It is Obama who at the height of the Boko Haram Insurgency slammed an arm's embargo in the Nigerian Army and torpedoed several attempts by Nigeria to buy arms over allegations of " human rights violation of Boko Haram captives"

Is it not a shame that the first black president of the United States made two trips to Africa and refused to come to Nigeria, the largest black nation on earth? You are a disgrace to Nigerian women. Denegrading the wife, husband and autistic son of a public figure goes against the value of Nigerian women.

Where us your dignity Chimananda? What are your values? Liberal debauchery? Same sex marraige? Political intolerance? Freedom to do or say whatever you like without consequences ? Shame on you Chimananda. You've sold your values and morality.

A real African woman will never do such. African women are cultured and have attained a level of social cohesion African American women can only dream of.

https://defensenigeria.blog/2017/10/26/the-hypocrisy-of-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/

Make up your mind whether her name is Melania, Michelle, or Mellania.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:11am On Oct 27, 2017
seunmsg:
The barrage of attacks on Chimamanda is silly and ridiculous. Why not let Melania or Donald Trump respond if they are so pained. You guys should cool down the attacks biko.

But to ur type if they make such statement about Buhari heaven will fall on earth.

3 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by lastempero: 7:13am On Oct 27, 2017
My own is that adichie should channel her voice to Nigeria her own country where she obtained her first degree,a lot of ill is going on here in Nigeria n she is busy lamenting on people that are far above Nigeria.charity they say should start from home not abroad.she is nt making any sense as long as iam concern.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by goslowgoslow(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2017
SSBN:

Melania Trump short story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
​Nigeria's very own Chimananda Ngozi Adichie wrote a ridiculous piece for the New York Times Magazine where she reffered to America's first lady Michelle Trump as - in her own words :

" ...the reluctant wife of the president who displays an unease with her political fame. And she's a little bit racist too."

She wrote a micro-novel - Janelle Asked to the Bedroom, which is about a conversation between a forlorn Mellania Trump and her Pilates instructor Janelle. Chimananda potrayts Trump as envious of her predecessor's natural ease in the role of First Lady, She refers to America's first Lady as Mrs T all through. In her story Mrs T showed Janelle a video she's been watching on YouTube of Michelle Obama visiting classroom. She also reveals folder full of pictures of Obama in her laptop.
"Look at this. I always look at them for the inspiration", She says.

In this fictional world, Mrs T's only source of joy comes from her 11 year old autistic son, Baron. Here we have our very own Chimananda exhibiting Mellania as someone who exhibits casual racism that her husband, President Donald Trump, is often accused of sharing.

Mrs T makes a prejudicial remark when Janelle informs her that her son has been accepted to Harvard University. “He got scholarship to go?” she asks. “How automatic, this assumption of a scholarship, and Janelle knew she meant a scholarship not of smarts but of skin,” writes Adichie.

Here we have our very own Chimananda trying to depict a strained relationship between Mellania Trump and Donald Trump's children from previous marriages, particularly Ivanka Trump, whose close relationship with her husband she ensues.
Dear Chimananda Ngozi Adichie, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your trash reeks of racism, hate and insecurity. It is sad that you have chosen to drop the culture of integrity and respect that is the core of Nigerian values and join the morbid cry baby the world is against us self victimization culture of African Americans who have made the black race the cry baby of the world.

You hail from a country that still has a long way to go when it comes to social development. Rather than use your God given gift as a platform to push for reforms, to push for the old cabals to give young and capable Nigerians the chance to pilot the affairs of this country, you are out there insulting the wife and autistic child of another man simply because you do not like him.

You are not American. You did not even vote, yet you are playing propaganda for the wife of a man who spat on your own country. It is Obama who warned of grave consequences for Nigeria if the President goes ahead with his anti-same sex marriage legislation. When President Jonathan gave Obama the middle finger for trying to impose an alien culture It was Obama who for the first time in 30 years stopped the importation of Nigeria's oil. The consequence was an economic recession for Nigeria on a scale not seen in nearly three decades.

It is Obama who at the height of the Boko Haram Insurgency slammed an arm's embargo in the Nigerian Army and torpedoed several attempts by Nigeria to buy arms over allegations of " human rights violation of Boko Haram captives"

Is it not a shame that the first black president of the United States made two trips to Africa and refused to come to Nigeria, the largest black nation on earth? You are a disgrace to Nigerian women. Denegrading the wife, husband and autistic son of a public figure goes against the value of Nigerian women.

Where us your dignity Chimananda? What are your values? Liberal debauchery? Same sex marraige? Political intolerance? Freedom to do or say whatever you like without consequences ? Shame on you Chimananda. You've sold your values and morality.

A real African woman will never do such. African women are cultured and have attained a level of social cohesion African American women can only dream of.

https://defensenigeria.blog/2017/10/26/the-hypocrisy-of-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/
What a stupid write up! Out of point!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by talk2percy(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2017
Look at these losers calling Chimamanda names?? Just leave her the heck alone. Writing is what she does for a living. And before nko, Trump and family are racists!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by emijo(m): 7:15am On Oct 27, 2017
She lives in America and anything that happens in America is her concern.
If you like write nonsense from here to sokoto, she is already made.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Bants(m): 7:18am On Oct 27, 2017
Nigerians and their alternate facts...I love naija we are never positive we mostly negative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by safarigirl(f): 7:19am On Oct 27, 2017
DarkRebel69:
I read "Janelle Asked To The Room" some minutes ago and, well, I can't say that I understand the purpose of this bitter harangue. It's either the OP did not read the piece or that he read it and elected to give it an entirely different and exaggerated interpretation.

Where was the mockery of Melania's son?

This is the part where Adichie made mention of Barron (tell me what is inimical about this description):-

"Sometimes Barron came down to the gym during their sessions, sweetly shy and polite, dependent on his mother for his sense of self. There was a delicacy about him that reminded Janelle of her son."

(Even if she did mock Melania's autistic child (which she did not do), is it the business of the reader to apply himself to the moral aspects of a work of fiction? I don't think so.)

This is just Matthew effect at play here. If any unrecognized writer had written that piece, no one would care to give it a second look, but it's being hyped up beyond merit because Adichie authored it.

Frankly, the piece is barely above average. I found it rather gauche and stale, and even the occasionally piquant metaphors could not salvage the sinking ship. It is probably Mrs. Adichie's poorest work thus far.

I, for one dislike a writer making overt allusions to a public figure (just like the annoying thing Eminem does when he takes potshots at celebrities). In my eyes, such an act reeks of a poverty of creativity. Every good artist (writers, poets, etc.) knows that the subtler approaches usually have the most resounding impact.

See for instance what George Orwell did with Animal Farm. He could have just referred to Stalin and Leon Trotsky directly and the entire novel would be sure to numb the reader's senses with an unimaginative obviousness, but instead he took the long-winded albeit powerful route by choosing to give us porcine presentations of Stalin (Napoleon) and Trotsky (Snowball), and of course the ignorant and mindless proles (Boxer, Clover, the ducks, the sheep). And that is why Orwell remains my favourite writer of all time.

Like I said, I think you people are over-reacting.
exactly.

I don't care as much for Chimanda's message as I do her method of passing it and I was honestly underwhelmed by the write-up....it was too easy, lacked suspense and I dare say, it had moments of WTF

For instance, the part where Mrs. T innocently asked if Janelle's son got a scholarship, the way Janelle flared up was uncalled for, unprofessional and highly unrealistic to be honest. I've imagined that scene over and over again in my head and I don't see how or why an innocent question would lead to such a reaction if the reactor (Janelle) didn't suffer some level of inferiority complex.

It was highly underwhelming and easily her poorest work

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by goslowgoslow(m): 7:20am On Oct 27, 2017
talk2percy:
Look these losers calling Chimamanda names?? Just leave her the heck alone. Writing is what she does for a living. And before nko, Trump and family are racists!
Dont mind them. If American issues is non of her bussiness, is it their own business to insult her on behalf of America? Hypocrites!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by hucienda: 7:21am On Oct 27, 2017
That piece from Chimamanda was so repulsive.
She's keying into the lunatic, liberal backlash since 11/9 when their enthroned, entitled candidate lost.

And to think her country is mostly a sh*t hole?

About time someone put her in her place.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by GavelSlam: 7:23am On Oct 27, 2017
I just want to know who sells popcorn.

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by WaffenSS(m): 7:23am On Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought of this feminist pretentious woman as unappealing and very pushy.

Shw craves the limelight.

4 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by OMANBALA1: 7:23am On Oct 27, 2017
Chimamanda is a deranged feminist who think she can say anything she want...I cant wait for US to deport that ffucking slowpoke. This girl actually think she is important just because the liberal Americans are feeding into her shitty writing. She worships Obama that killed Murman Ghadafi but hates Trump that told black Africa the truth they hate to hear,which is go fix your rotten country. When I become the governor of Anambra i will make sure she get locked up the day she stepped foot NA ANI OMANBALA.

8 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by cr7lomo: 7:25am On Oct 27, 2017
Rosskii:

You are relentlessly dumb and ignorant. Racism against black Americans is REAL, you stupid wingbat. There have been countless studies which show the existence of deep structural racism against the US black population. From the preponderance of liquor stores in black neighbourhoods to the deliberate infusion of drugs and guns in their neighbourhoods, to police brutality, to sub-standard education compared to the majority, to racial bias in the criminal justice system. Go online and spend just TEN MINUTES to learn black American history, even though we know most of you Africans are allergic to research. Olodo.

U are a confirmed foo.l... Bitch.es like u are the type that get shot by law enforcement in the USA for being Stu.pid...tell me how blacks hv helped themselves in Africa...if u dont know, let me tell you that blacks are more racist that whites ...the black man is selfish greedy and vindictive and will sellout their loyalty for money...that foo.lish adichie woman has never been opinionated in her country with the high level of injustice and prejudice and tribalism and nepotism...but she's busy crying more than the bereaved in an adopted country

12 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 27, 2017
Op, you are not a Nigerian woman. I might be wrong here, but judging by the (m) next to your moniker, I am concluding that you are a man. So, if you feel shamed by Adichie's latest flurry of words that have been deemed worthy of being published in The New York Times, you can do so as a Nigerian man. Don't say that she is a disgrace to Nigerian women. Speaking for myself (which is all anyone can do without being endorsed by a larger group to speak for a collection of people) I don't feel disgraced in the slightest.

Of course, I know what this is about, your constant need to silence women who are vocal on matters you don't agree with. Chimamanda Adichie has become less popular, especially amongst men, for unapologetically identifying herself as a feminist.

You talk about core Nigerian values - the 'culture of respect and integrity' Really? Where in our society is that culture evident? In our malicious treatment of our fellow men, hacking human bodies into tiny portions because they don't speak our language or call God by the same name? In the blatant embezzlement of public funds by public office holders and the blind eye of the judiciary? If you are a Nigerian, I don't have to tell you of the ills bedeviling our society; but I will say that it isn't a culture of respect and integrity that has made them thrive.

Nigeria is far from being a saintly country. And not every Nigerian identifies with the image the country upholds publicly. It's like that in every country. That's why we have the occasional heated conversations, demonstration on the streets, or merely, disgruntled individuals. It is impossible to have a homogeneity of opinions amongst 170m people. Personally, I have my own ideas about liberalism; and just because they are different from yours, doesn't make them evil. And yours are not going to be superior in my eyes; in fact, I consider your views to be unenlightened and giant steps behind in time. But that's my opinion. A difference in opinions and personal values is a legitimate thing.

And lastly, how dare you define for someone else the battles that they should fight? Chimamanda should leave the racism in a country where she spends a significant part of her time to fight our own issues here in this country? Who are you tell her what cause ought to affect her life more? Did you recruit her to do anything for you?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by oruma19: 7:25am On Oct 27, 2017
Chimamanda Adichie knows how to blow plenty grammar but her works are always devoid of morality. In her book, "Americanah" , Ifemelu the lead character slept with 5 men and ended up destroying another person's marriage. Sometimes I still wonder why I wasted my precious time on that book. Well, I learnt some new english words. The book should have been 2 different books..1, about racism in America and 2, about the flirtatious woman who returned to Nigeria to destroy the marriage of her first love. Nonsense

6 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by megareal: 7:26am On Oct 27, 2017
I'm neither here nor there, I only agree with her assertions that Melanie seems like a reluctant first lady.

I've always remarked that she is too careful, too poised and controlled. She calculates even how she walks and waves and darnit, smile. Probably out of fear of making a simple mistake and being eaten by the merciless press.

Heck! She should loosen up and enjoy her reign.

6 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by OMANBALA1: 7:27am On Oct 27, 2017
goslowgoslow:

Dont mind them. If American issues is non of her bussiness, is it their own business to insult her on behalf of America? Hypocrites!!!

Its ok to write but you must apply caution and decorum when you write ,especially when you are writing about the wife of a President in which country you reside as a LEGAL RESIDENT not even a danm CITIZEN. She craves publicity.

8 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by PDPGuy: 7:28am On Oct 27, 2017
Rosskii:
What a load of garbage. This ignorant, semi-literate attack on Adichie is only something one can see from a white worshipping, brainwashed, Nigerian goat. That is why many black Americans cannot stand Africans. Look at them kissing Trump's assss. Trump that refused to rent his apartments to blacks, that routinely attacks prominent blacks and non-whites. That supports neo-nazi white supremacists! You support him and his dumb wife despite all this, while claiming Obama did not visit Nigeria. What is worse, a president who is a racist hater of blacks or a black president who omitted Nigeria on his Africa trips? Stupid slave.s. And let me tell you this. Black Americans whom you insulted out of your ignorance and stupidity, are the reason you can visit or settle in America today as a black person. Their century long civil rights movement, which saw many of them killed and jailed in protests and agitation for black rights, are the reason YOU can prosper in the USA today, visit and take selfies there without getting lynched by white mobs. Even get high paying jobs there. Dr Martin Luther King Jr. Malcolm X. and many other black Americans GAVE THEIR LIVES for that to happen. Unlike you dumb, colonised African slaves who specialise in skin bleaching and kissing white ass, the black Americans are fighters, who do not tolerate racial injustice, and know they are the equal of any race on earth. So STFU and learn to show respect for their achievements.

You have spoken well. Most of these Trump supporters exhibit unbelievable ignorance. They accuse Obama of “imposing” gay marriage upon the United States, when it was a decision of the US Supreme Court that did so.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Egein(m): 7:29am On Oct 27, 2017
dodelight:

Don't mind her. Some don't know that the fact that they're successful in a field of life does not necessarily give them a say in others. Not everyone is cut out for the political sphere.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Kundagarten: 7:29am On Oct 27, 2017
Sensitivity1254:

Do you know about the group called 'ANTIFA'?? Are you aware that Obama supported them?? Are you aware that they are more deadly than The White Supremacists??
Your post is the first I'd seen of a black person supporting an organization hell bent on black destruction.
ANTIFA deadlier than white supremacists? Wow bro are you sure you live in America? I live in Nigeria yet know ANTIFA stands against fascism and all it stands for. Bro abeg return home.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by OMANBALA1: 7:29am On Oct 27, 2017
emijo:
She lives in America and anything that happens in America is her concern.
If you like write nonsense from here to sokoto, she is already made.

She is not a ffucking citizen and must respect the leadership of the nation whether she agrees with their policy or not.

5 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by goslowgoslow(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Its ok to write but you must apply caution and decorum when you write ,especially when you are writing about the wife of a President in which country you reside as a LEGAL RESIDENT not even a danm CITIZEN. She craves publicity.
Look at you! Do you know the number of people that criticise Trump everyday? This is America- FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by robotix: 7:31am On Oct 27, 2017
Dedetwo:

Only semi-literate jackass refers human being as either "White or Black". The liberal wings of any society are most ignorant stock yet parade themselves as knowledgeable stiffs. There is only one race on earth and it is called human.
Your point is not cogent enough. When making a point, there is need for clarity and categorising your statement. You are human but of what breed?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by lekbel09(m): 7:31am On Oct 27, 2017
i have never for once liked chimamanda as a person here is a woman that supports homosexuality,feminism so am nt surprised at her stooping to another all time low to depict racism and also insult an autistic child,very stupid girl indeed

5 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by chineduemmao: 7:33am On Oct 27, 2017
SSBN is talking out of unnecessary hate and sentiment. Do you really think adichie has not done more for nigeria? Think again, Amanda's half-of-a-yellow-sun is among the creations targeted at exposing the hidden history of nigeria directly rather than otherwise. Take a look around, Amanda has done a feet do yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Sammiejokes(m): 7:36am On Oct 27, 2017
zoombies everywhere, how can you just call someone racist without proof. I rather mingle or marry a white lady than all this fools. Majority of Nigerian professionals (straights) with US passport vote trump while fools on 2years visit visa running from pillar to post start are shouting he is racist. For your ignorant minds 42% of blacks voted President Trump. Only a zoombie will be shouting racist while unemployment, slow economy that does not respect race pounce on you.

10 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by kingthreat(m): 7:40am On Oct 27, 2017
Adichie ia a worthless feminist and atheist. I pity women who choose her as their role models,in they will never keep a home. While she keeps hers.

3 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Gkemz: 7:43am On Oct 27, 2017
She's a hypocrite, a feminist demon who had planted into the minds of our young ladies feminism and because of their strong believe, they have remained single dragging for equal right amongst men. Obviously no man will like to bring in another "man" in woman's appearance in his territory to compete power and authority with him.
Funny enough, she's happily married.

The mofo now has resorted to criticising Donald Trump whose govt has zero tolerance for gay community because she supports gays while she's sexually straight. Is she not a hypocrite. She preaches something but does another thing

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Thousand Free Occult Books For Study / A Day I Will Never Forget / 10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.