Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED (38845 Views)

Another Peter Obi Lie Busted. Twitter User Exposes Him And His Lie. / Peter Obis Lie Busted About His ICT Involvement In Anambra. Pic / "Lai Mohammed's Big Lie Busted" - By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:07am On Jun 28, 2021
Shaolin0147:
You be mumu aswear, they weren't given any 20 pounds by the Nigerian gorvernment, rather they reduced the bank account of every Igboman that had money in the bank
Do you have any evidence for this?

Did the government pass a law to that effect?

Did any Newspaper anywhere in the World Carry it?

Did Chinua Achebe ever mention it in any of his writings?
Did Ojukwu mention it anywhere?
How were Igbo accounts identified?
Were those Igbos the MidWest e.g Anioma affected or were they spared?
Were Ijaws affected?
Were Ikwerre affected?
Were Ibibio Affected?
How were Igbo bank accounts identified

How come to this day NOT ONE Igbo man has come out to produce a bank passbook to say "Here are my bank documents , I was denied my money. NOT ONE !!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2021
How come to this day NOT ONE Igbo man has come out to produce a bank passbook to say "Here are my bank documents , I was denied my money. NOT ONE !!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:41am On Jun 28, 2021
The New York Times has something to say on the matter

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/14/world/few-traces-of-the-civil-war-linger-in-biafra.html

"Ibos were allowed to exchange...............

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by nku5: 9:51am On Jun 28, 2021
aribisala0:
The New York Times has something to say on the matter

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/14/world/few-traces-of-the-civil-war-linger-in-biafra.html

"Ibos were allowed to exchange...............

Ok grin

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:55am On Jun 28, 2021
nku5:

Ok grin
Ibos lost their fortune to Ojukwu when they exchanged their money for Biafra Notes which became worthless after the war

Additionally Ojukwu went on to rob the central Bank in Benin and the government changed currency to checkmate him after he used stolen money to purchase arms

Two years later Shagari NOT Awolowo was the Finance Minister when the Indigenization decree was promulgated

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 28, 2021
aribisala0:
Ibos lost their fortune to Ojukwu when they exchanged their money for Biafra Notes which became worthless after the war

Additionally Ojukwu went on to rob the central Bank in Benin and the government changed currency to checkmate him after he used stolen money to purchase arms

Two years later Shagari NOT Awolowo was the Finance Minister when the Indigenization decree was promulgated

In 2017 this giant lunacy began.

Since 2017 you have carried the burden of undeterred others on your feeble shoulders. To what end my guy ?

OMG, to what end ?

What would make any sane man promote a narrative for 5 Good Years for which even in victory he gains nothing.

Despite his travails he still fails to convince his target audience. May fortune have mercy on you.

I sincerely pity you. A jambite would be due for
convocation within this same timeframe.

Did you stagnant in life since initiating this post ? Talk to us, some can help you.

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 11:29am On Jun 28, 2021
Chigator:

In 2017 this giant lunacy began.

Since 2017 you have carried the burden of undeterred others on your feeble shoulders. To what end my guy ?

OMG, to what end ?

What would make any sane man promote a narrative for 5 Good Years for which even in victory he gains nothing.

Despite his travails he still fails to convince his target audience. May fortune have mercy on you.

I sincerely pity you. A jambite would be due for
convocation within this same timeframe.

Did you stagnant in life since initiating this post ? Talk to us, some can help you.

I am not your guy.

To the end of TRUTH

To unravel the lies that have been used to cement hate against Awolowo and the Yoruba people

Lies about Awolowo and the Indigenization decree of 1972.
Immediately after the war in 1970 Awolowo wrote to Gowon giving resignation notice and left the Government early in 1971 to be replaced by Alhaji Shehu Shagari. He had nothing to do with it .
Yet folk like Chimamanda Adichie have come out to say "my uncle told me...........blah blah blah
Well we cannot allow a false version of history to go unchallenged.

Rather than using abusive language and sentiments speak to the Twenty Pound issue.

The simple claim that

Money belonging to Ibos held in their bank accounts in Nigeria was at any time seized by the government

IS UNTRUE> IT IS A BLATANT LIE

This is not about "winning" just setting the record and history straight.

Just like the Fulani go around with their cattle for years and then one day wake up and start claiming grazing route in Enugu saying "my uncle told me.......

That is the issue on this thread not all that nonsense you are bringing up

Did anyone seize Ibo money? When where and how?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by nku5: 11:39am On Jun 28, 2021
aribisala0:

At least you no deny wetin I show you. I will address these your third tier claims. I dey come
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Caboceer: 10:56pm On Jun 29, 2021
aribisala0:

This is the truth. If anyone stole Ibo money it was Ojukwu himself, when he made them exchange Nigerian pounds for the worthless Biafra currency he created. Biafra currency was useless for his purposes since only a handful of countries recognised Biafran as a sovereign state (Ojukwu needed to purchase arms)

So he craftily took the Nigerian money from returnee Ibos and gave them his fake money. Unfortunately, more than half a century on the Ibos are yet to understand the trick he played, because they only thrive on propaganda and false narratives

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by laudate: 6:27pm On Jul 03, 2021
aribisala0:
I am not your guy.

To the end of TRUTH

To unravel the lies that have been used to cement hate against Awolowo and the Yoruba people

Lies about Awolowo and the Indigenization decree of 1972.
Immediately after the war in 1970 Awolowo wrote to Gowon giving resignation notice and left the Government early in 1971 to be replaced by Alhaji Shehu Shagari. He had nothing to do with it .
Yet folk like Chimamanda Adichie have come out to say "my uncle told me...........blah blah blah
Well we cannot allow a false version of history to go unchallenged.

Rather than using abusive language and sentiments speak to the Twenty Pound issue.

The simple claim that

Money belonging to Ibos held in their bank accounts in Nigeria was at any time seized by the government

IS UNTRUE> IT IS A BLATANT LIE

This is not about "winning" just setting the record and history straight.

Just like the Fulani go around with their cattle for years and then one day wake up and start claiming grazing route in Enugu saying "my uncle told me.......

That is the issue on this thread not all that nonsense you are bringing up

Did anyone seize Ibo money? When where and how?

I had even forgotten that this thread existed....wow!! shocked You should write a book about this whole thing.

People need to have hard copies of the whole story, and learn how this matter was thrashed out in this thread, in order to put an end to the propaganda that has been recycled all through the past few decades. undecided

Internet platforms can go down. Posts can even be expunged if sites are hacked. But 10,000 hardcover written books published and circulated in print will go far and can serve as back up references which can be cited anywhere. sad

The Truth will always remain the Truth.....

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 4:32pm On Aug 20, 2021
TWENTY POUND LIE DEBUNKED

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ovamboland(m): 5:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
JUSTICE4Nigeria:
when it comes to biafra issue u can denie your parents, Nigeria that killed, massacred unarmed civilians, committed genocide, and u think converting biafrans wealth to theirs is an issue? u need more cerebral than I thought,
read this from the horses mouth

And the case of the money they said was not given back to them, you know during the war, all the pounds were looted, they printed Biafran currency notes, which they circulated, at the close of the war, some people wanted their Biafran notes to be exchanged for them. Of course I couldn’t do that, if I did that, the whole country would be BANKRUPT. We didn’t know about Biafran notes and we didn’t know on what basis they printed them, so we refused the Biafran note, but I laid down the principle that all those who had savings in the banks on the eve of the declaration of the Biafran war, would get their money back if they could satisfy us that they had the money there. Unfortunately, all the banks’s books had been burnt, and many of the people who had savings there didn’t have their saving books or their last statement of account, so a panel had to be set up.

I didn’t take part in setting up the panel, it was done by the Central Bank and the pertinent officials of the Ministry of Finance, to look into the matter, and they went carefully into the matter, they took some months to do so, and then made some recommendation which I approved. Go to the archives, all I did was approve, I didn’t write anything more than that, I don’t even remember the name of any of them who took part. So I did everything in this world to assist our Igbo brothers and sisters during and after the war.

And anyone who goes back to look at my broadcast in August 1967, which dealt with post-war reconstruction would see what I said there.
MEANING, If they had change the money the country will bankrupt, hahahahahah, so igbos hold the economy of Nigeria since 1808,lol, AWOLOWO SAID IT NOT ME OOO ,

So one person will come with 1m Biafran ojukwu pounds and demand to be given 1m Nigerian pounds. What will CBN do with the Biafran pounds it will collect? Use it to pay for imports or experts working in Nigeria? Will any Ibo accept biafran pounds as a settlement from CBN?

So want to give CBN monopoly money and collect real money? You have been practcing fraud a long time ago and claim it as a right

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ovamboland(m): 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2021
aribisala0:
One day a child will realise Father Christmaa is not real.

One day you will realise the £20 story is another of the lies your elders tell you

You forget Ojukwu looted teh banks in the East and used the money to buy arms.Do you not think that some of that was YOUR MONEY?

So you were planning to come back to Nigeria after Biafra must have beeen achieved to claim your treasure.

WITH NO DOCUMENTS?

Surely even if the story were true does it not make HISTORICAL SENSE

That your parents would have preserved their bank books

Today NOT ONE person can come forward to say this is my bank book and I was denied my money

NOT ONE

THINK!!

Ojukwu collected real Nigerian pounds from them and gave them Biafran funny money in return.
He was using all the Nigerian money he could find to pay for imports including arms as nobody outside Biafra will collect biafran money from him as payment for anything.

They now want the Nigerian govt to pick the cost and consequences of their stupidity and bad business with Ojukwu who ran away when everything burst

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ovamboland(m): 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2021
Chuks0485:

Why not you the historian go to the banks and dig up the facts. Historian do not seat at home and wallow in their imaginative thought. If you doubt people's assertion, you take the pain to find out if what they said is true or not.

Have you gone to those banks to verify the story of lost money or you just swallowed it hook line and sinker?

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by bolaji73(m): 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
Knowledge is power.. Thanks so much op.

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:56am On Dec 08, 2021
Twenty pound lie discombobulated

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by oyatz(m): 9:01pm On Jan 09, 2022
prodigy24:
It shall never be well with Nigeria and all their supports against the people of Biafra. My parents, their relatives nuclear and extended, gathered all their money and gave one man, who owns a bank account came back with only 20 pounds. And you're here saying rubbish.
Fg did not give everyone money. They gathered money and put them into an account, and 20 pounds would be given to the account owner.
All these people do everyday is twist history to paint a favourable picture.
Amadioha ga egbu unu ncha!

People were affected In different layers.
The case you were referring to was a case of the Biafran family bringing in 'Biafran pounds' to get Nigerian pounds.

Now, the problem was that by 1970, Biafran pound was NOT a legal tender anywhere in the world and no country was prepared to accept it. Technically speaking that Biafran currency was actually a worthless piles of papers.

The Nigerian Government was just being magnanimous by collecting the Biafran papers, burned it and gave the holder 20 pounds.

The Gowon Regime could have just played along ,pretended to be unaware of the existence of Biafran currency and allow the Biafrans to discover on their own that they had worthless pieces of paper which they couldn't spend outside Igboland by 1970.
Few months later, Igbos themselves would start rejecting the currency because they wouldn't be able to use it to buy anything from other Nigerians.
By 15-20months later, the currency will fizzle out as Personal collections reminiscent of the civil war.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Idiko1: 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2022
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

Let us assume their were one million of them =£20million Nigerian

We know that the Nigerian pound exchanged for £2 pounds sterling in 1970 so
that would be £40 million . What would that be worth today

according to this inflation calculator

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
it would be
£432612859. Sterling
Not sure what sterling is doing these days but @ 475

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way.The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist. There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

The bolded is an idiotic conjecture only formed as a figment of silly imagination. Nigeria did not give £20 to every surviving male in Biafra. The £20 were given to anybody who had a proof of owing bank account before the Nigeria/Biafra war started.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2022
Idiko1:

The bolded is an idiotic conjecture only formed as a figment of silly imagination. Nigeria did not give £20 to every surviving male in Biafra. The £20 were given to anybody who had a proof of owing bank account before the Nigeria/Biafra war started.

Idiotic?

OK

If that is how your mind works
I can read you already
Your first problem reading and comprehending simple English
1. Kindly show a quote where i mentioned "surviving male"> If you cannot do that then please apologize and take it back if not just crawl away and don't quote me anymore
All the facts about who was paid twenty pounds and how have already been presented on this thread . It was a rigorous debate with not much foaming at the mouth
Keep your emotions in check and engage whatever functionality you can muster from the four corners of your head
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Aidejay(m): 1:35am On Jan 30, 2022
omo Wow!!!

Just last week I saw one person on twitter making that rubbish assertion that govt removed all the monies in the bank accounts of igbo people and gave each person "a paltry sum of" 20 pounds.

It's a bold lie, and little has been done to counter it. @aribisala0 you've made history oooh!

Very deep history lesson here. Probably learnt like 15 new things just browsing through this thread.

It's's sad Awolowo has been demonised so much by these people, but it's not too late to realize that man although not perfect isn't the devil they want us to believe he is.

So to me the topic of the thread is valid, the myth is Indeed busted. Another blow to the victim mentality.

Finally just for peace and self reflection let me be the first and only person on this thread to express my sympathies to those who suffered during the war on both sides. And to those who still suffer till today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Invictuse: 5:54am On Jan 30, 2022
In essence Igbos were richer than the federal allocation you received for 3 solid years because same Awo paid that and the economy did not go bankrupt.

JUSTICE4Nigeria:

And anyone who goes back to look at my broadcast in August 1967, which dealt with post-war reconstruction would see what I said there.
MEANING, If they had change the money the country will bankrupt, hahahahahah, so igbos hold the economy of Nigeria since 1808,lol, AWOLOWO SAID IT NOT ME OOO ,
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ekealterego: 8:57am On Jan 30, 2022
Aidejay:
omo Wow!!!

Just last week I saw one person on twitter making that rubbish assertion that govt removed all the monies in the bank accounts of igbo people and gave each person "a paltry sum of" 20 pounds.

It's a bold lie, and little has been done to counter it. @aribisala0 you've made history oooh!

Very deep history lesson here. Probably learnt like 15 new things just browsing through this thread.

It's's sad Awolowo has been demonised so much by these people, but it's not too late to realize that man although not perfect isn't the devil they want us to believe he is.

So to me the topic of the thread is valid, the myth is Indeed busted. Another blow to the victim mentality.

Finally just for peace and self reflection let me be the first and only person on this thread to express my sympathies to those who suffered during the war on both sides. And to those who still suffer till today.

Most of you are so dumb. Your sense cannot even see all the holes in his assertions which were long debunked.

Again, you depend on this OP whose reputation for mischief, ethnic bias and distortions of history precedes him. I mean that is his trade mark. Yeah, really dumb.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 11:22am On Jan 30, 2022
Debunked where how?

Chapter and verse we covered here .No stone left unturned and that is why you all ran away like rabbits
Abusive language is no argument .Address the issues

Twenty pound lie busted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:07am On Feb 10, 2022
See how they have all been silenced and the twenty pound lie dismantled
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:22am On Feb 10, 2022
aribisala0:
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:46pm On Mar 23, 2022
Sanctions did not start today .Ask Ojukwu and Awolowo

NATO is a learner
IPOB is a Jambite
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 10:12am On Aug 03, 2022
Aidejay:
omo Wow!!!

Well said

You are a patriot
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by tishbite42: 10:18am On Aug 03, 2022
nigeriancritic1:

Igbos are still paying reparation in kind for starting that war
Which war did they start??
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by tishbite42: 10:23am On Aug 03, 2022
Ovamboland:

So one person will come with 1m Biafran ojukwu pounds and demand to be given 1m Nigerian pounds. What will CBN do with the Biafran pounds it will collect? Use it to pay for imports or experts working in Nigeria? Will any Ibo accept biafran pounds as a settlement from CBN?

So want to give CBN monopoly money and collect real money? You have been practcing fraud a long time ago and claim it as a right
Stop being clever by a half
Igbos had money in banks before the war started. Hope you are not denying that? That money was never Biafran Pounds.
I understand your pain.
After seizing Igbo money, the same Igbos are buying you up from Lagos, Ibadan to any place in Afonjaland.
It is really sad.
As for Awo, what Portable did is an apt summary of his 'legacy'
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 10:30am On Aug 03, 2022
tishbite42:

Stop being clever by a half
Igbos had money in banks before the war started. Hope you are not denying that? That money was never Biafran Pounds.
I understand your pain.
After seizing Igbo money, the same Igbos are buying you up from Lagos, Ibadan to any place in Afonjaland.
It is really sad.
As for Awo, what Portable did is an apt summary of his 'legacy'
What happened to Eboe money in the Banks.

I can tell you are young

How many banks were in Nigeria in 1966
Do you Know their names.
Do you have an Idea how many bank branches there were in the whole of Nigeria in 1966?

The simple question is this
Is there ONE

Repeat
Is there one Eboe man that you have ever met in your life that has shown you a bank passbook , photograph or photocopy to say
This is my bank document I was not allowed to get my money

JUST ONE >
Have you ever seen any newspaper article with that claim

JUST ONE

The reality is on this thread we have dismantled all those lies
Yes people might have lost their banks books but surely NOT EVERYONE

Now did Ojukwu ever make any statement that his money in the bank was seized
Chinua Achebe was the official propagandist of Biafra did he ever write anything like that

So tell us the name of ONE PERSON , ONE EBOE PERSON who was denied access to his savings and how much was seized

This is not about ranting but evidence

I expect you, like those before you to run away and avoid this thread because the truth is IT DID NOT HAPPEN
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 10:37am On Aug 03, 2022
The next logical question is this the territory of Biafra included Ikwerre , Ijaw Efik , Ibibio etc

How come it is only Eboes claiming their money in the banks were seized

I have never heard this from any Ijaw person or Ibibio person

This means the government must have worked with the banks to identify Eboe accounts
How.? Did they make any laws directing the banks to do this?

There were TWO major banks in Nigeria
Barclays which became Union Bank it was a British Bank till the mid 1970s and
Standard Bank which became First Bank

They were not government owned .So what instruction did the government give them about Eboe accounts and HOW?
Were they given an App to help identify Eboe accounts
How come there is No single Newspaper article from then ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

The truth is Twenty pounds given in Exchange for CASH ie. Biafran Pounds as a reconciliation gesture of generosity from Nigeria. It was budgeted for and paid for by Nigerians

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

157 Soldiers Massacred Same Day Service Chiefs Were At APC Rally - Reno / Atiku Defeats Buhari In 13 Out Of 16 Lgas In IMO, So Far / Ben Kalu Visits Bola Tinubu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.