Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture (12471 Views)

Man Plunges Into Lagos River Over Allegations Of Theft / Agim Cyprian Chukwudi Shot By Policema In Cross River Over N15000 Debt (Graphic) / Corpses Of Couple Abandoned In Cross River Over Land Dispute (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by kabakaauu: 9:26pm On Oct 30, 2017
The Federal High Court sitting in Calabar has ordered the Nigerian Navy to pay the sum of N75m to a 39-year-old, Mr Etim Asuquo Akpan, as damages after illegally shooting, torturing and holding him hostage.

watch the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxjOZvIa9g

The court also ordered the Navy to tender an apology to Akpan in a national daily.

Delivering judgment in Calabar, the Cross River State Capital, in the case with number FHC/CA/M35/2013, Justice Inyang Ekwo, said men who are armed by law to protect the citizenry should not turn around and brutalise or take the lives, outside the law, of those they are supposed to protect.

He further disclosed that Akpan, a bricklayer and indigene of Akwa Ibom State, had taken the Nigerian Navy and others to court in 2013 for shooting him in both legs for no reason, torturing him and holding him hostage and also keeping him in chains while he was in the hospital receiving treatment.

The appellant said the incident happened in 2012 in Calabar when he was on his way to work and ran into men of the Navy attached to the then Quick Intervention Squad of the Cross River State Government.

He told the court that without provocation, he was just shot in both legs by the men of the Navy and left in a pool of his own blood.

Members of a nearby church came to his aid and took him to the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital for treatment.

According to him, when the naval personnel realised he was in the hospital, they trailed him there and chained him to his bed and even tortured him.
Delivering his judgment, Justice Ekwo said, if such trend is encouraged every citizen would be a potential victim of such brutality.

He quashed the arguments that the Naval personnel was attached to the Quick Intervention Squad, which consisted of other security agencies, and therefore the Nigerian Navy should not be liable for their action.

The judge said such an act could not go without remedy, as Asuquo has a family and other people to support all his life.

Noting that Asuquo has been permanently incapacitated by the treatment meted to him by the Navy, the judge regretted that getting justice was slow in the case.
Counsel to the Navy, Mr Tanbe Mark, in an interview, said the court had given judgment and they would have to comply with it.

According to Akpan’s lawyer, Mr Albert Ben, it is the right of every citizen to be protected, no matter their status.

Although he was saddened by the delay in the matter, he is glad that justice has been finally served.

Akpan who was left deformed expressed gratitude for the judgment.

source:https://www.channelstv.com/2017/10/30/court-orders-navy-to-pay-man-illegally-tortured-shot-n75m/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by greatmarshall(m): 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2017
Hmm This guy don hammer

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by michlins(m): 9:37pm On Oct 30, 2017
I hope this trend will continue. This wickedness has got to stop

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by evanso6226(f): 7:00am On Oct 31, 2017
thats good

IPOB DID THIS TODAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q1hd1hEj2s

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by FarahAideed: 8:26am On Oct 31, 2017
I hope they pay because in the past govt agencies jave always refused to pay such compensations..

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by justi4jesu(f): 9:18am On Oct 31, 2017
cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Qsscruz(m): 9:18am On Oct 31, 2017
I just hope the order was not given to Nigeria Navy because if it is, the man should not rejoice beacuse not even a kobo would be coming to him.. This country is scam..Nothing works here. Truth be told this is really a zoo.. Even the animals would be laughing at us.. cheesy

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by SojiCash(m): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
cool shocked
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Talk2Bella(f): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
grin iffa hear say dem pay
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by ElPadrino33: 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
If I hear say them pay
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by TheArchangel(f): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
Seems Nigerian court is now out for the blood of Nigerian military.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by agarawu23(m): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
They will start learning
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 31, 2017
As long as Nigeria is concerned. he won't get a penny.

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by thunderbabs: 9:21am On Oct 31, 2017
Only if Baba Suwe got his from the NDLEA ....yeye country.shioooorrr

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by BakireBulmaker: 9:21am On Oct 31, 2017
Damn!

The bastards who carried out the dastardly act on the innocent citizen deserve open execution.

This judgment is not good enough!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by DICKtator: 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
Navy must pay!

If they like, they can appeal

They must pay!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Donald3d(m): 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Thank You Jesus !!!
There is a Naval Base near my house
Dont ask me what I am going to do wink wink wink
Alert loading ....
Na joke i dey o before dem wele me

Who need website ooo ,contact me .
Clean ,responsive and affordable

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
Good,injustice must be cautioned if we are to progress as a nation
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by aku626(m): 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
Very good. The animals in the military hoping they can read should be weary

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by DLuciano: 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
This is one of the best news in recent times in this tyranny of a country.
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by grandstar(m): 9:23am On Oct 31, 2017
Can they also shoot 2 of my legs?

5 years too long though. I'll settle for 30m if they can wrap up within a year.

The man should build a block of 6 flats or even 10 flats in Lagos. He could reap as much as 8m if he builds in a place like Awoyaya, Lekki where the land is dry, firm and cheap.
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by ObamaOsama: 9:24am On Oct 31, 2017
then the court will take him share
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Blue3k(m): 9:25am On Oct 31, 2017
ObamaOsama:
then the court will take him share

Lol you mean his lawyer if that's their agreement.
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Daboomb: 9:25am On Oct 31, 2017
greatmarshall:
Hmm This guy don hammer

You think so?
Do you know that this guy could have made even ten times that amount, if the Navy has not truncated his destiny?

Do you think Dangotte or even the M.D of any bank or NNPC would exchange their two legs (to be shot by bullets, in exchange for #75M)?
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by bigfather(m): 9:26am On Oct 31, 2017
i hope they pay sha.....
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Daboomb: 9:27am On Oct 31, 2017
grandstar:
Can they also shoot 2 of my legs?

That is not a problem, all you need to do is go infront of a military Br=arracks and carry a placard reading "I am Boko Haram and l am armed".

I think say na #75M you dey find, abi?
undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by kay29000(m): 9:27am On Oct 31, 2017
Wow! The man don hammer.
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by Blue3k(m): 9:27am On Oct 31, 2017
I'm hope navy reprimanded the soldiers that committed this action.
Re: Court Orders Navy To Pay N75M To Man In Cross River Over Illegal Torture by eddyslim(m): 9:28am On Oct 31, 2017
Nice one.. 75m, is that not too small!!
Is high time they teach these people some lesson

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reverend Fathers Regain Freedom After 4 Days In Kidnappers Den / One Dies As Explosion Rocks Dangote Cement Plant / It's A Traffic Violation To Break Into Siren Blaring Security Convoy– Police ACP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.