Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,191 members, 7,839,052 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? (9231 Views)

Grammy:list Of Nigeria Musicians That Can Win The GRAMMY AWARD / D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide / Which Nigeria Musician Can Win Grammy Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by tosinaded(m): 5:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
Chuks84:

if you have something to say then say it! dont drop nonsensical one-liners. I think you're the ignorant one. mumu.

Go google Grammy winners!!!

listen to there songs, come back and tell me u dnt feel foolish with ur first post!!!

ignorance is a disease!

#itsnaija
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Wandooxx(f): 6:17pm On Mar 19, 2010
Asa is Nigeria's only hope of a Grammy.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by dezzygal(f): 6:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
no need for all dis long talk ,d ans is NO
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Princek12(m): 6:57pm On Mar 19, 2010
I believe Femi Kuti was nominated for a Grammy--the World Music nominee--but he did not win. That being said, I believe Femi Kuti is another Nigerian Artist who has a good prospect of winning a grammy.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by MsTom(f): 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2010
If Sade, seal or Femi who were nominated could not win the grammy, I doubt if any of the present musicians can.

Princek12:

I believe Femi Kuti was nominated for a Grammy--the World Music nominee--but he did not win. That being said, I believe Femi Kuti is another Nigerian Artist who has a good prospect of winning a grammy.

He was nominated twice. Can you imagine that?
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by eldee(m): 7:21pm On Mar 19, 2010
MsTom:

If Sade, seal or Femi who were nominated could not win the grammy, I doubt if any of the present musicians can.

He was nominated twice. Can you imagine that?

Sade has won three Grammy awards.
Seal has won three too . . .
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by tosinaded(m): 7:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

thank you cool

#itsnaija
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by rapjunkie(m): 7:32pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

doesn't that make this thread redundant?
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by ElRazur: 7:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
rapjunkie:

doesn't that make this thread redundant?

I think the OP was more about home-based artist. smiley
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by rapjunkie(m): 7:45pm On Mar 19, 2010
ElRazur:

I think the OP was more about home-based artist. smiley

Tuface should have won a grammy for 'african queen'. . . . .at the moment, i can't see anybody in naija winning a grammy
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by eldee(m): 8:04pm On Mar 19, 2010
Aiite . . . let's end this thread once and for all.

You will not get a Grammy for doing a hiphop/R'n'B/pop album . . . except if it gets popular in the US and prolly the UK. . . not my fault deal with it.
If you're not pushing sales of more then 200,000 on the Billboard, forget it.

Now even at that, if you're not launched properly in the US . . . I mean with the whole nine yards, forget it.
So you have to be on the David Lettermans and tour heavily in the US. The chances of them giving the them to people that are not really based in America are as slim as the chances of Sauron getting laid this year. grin grin

Now the other route, is to release and album that will be classified as World Music.
Now this has to be as distant from Pop as possible and you need to have a heavy presence of local influences.
All you instruments and sounds must be pointing towards an exotic source.

Still you need to tour the world, and attack the US heavily.
This is harder because you have to actually be critically acclaimed.

I see someone like KSA or Femi Kuti winning it . . . Asa might, but she's a lil bit pop and not big in America.
Her album failed in the aspect of production. . . they almost drowned her voice with guitar sounds.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by ElRazur: 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2010
rapjunkie:

Tuface should have won a grammy for 'african queen'. . . . .at the moment, i can't see anybody in naija winning a grammy

Possibly, but we will never know I guess.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by MsTom(f): 9:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

Ooops! MY bad! grin. Still waiting for fela or femi to win though
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 19, 2010
Sade, Seal, Chamillonaire are not Nigerians, so we have to rule those ones out,

In my opinion, The living musicians that grew up in Nigeria and can actually win it are,

Asa
Nneka Egbuna -  one of her track 'Kangpe' was featured as a soundtrack on the EA Sports FIFA 2010 video game
Femi Kuti  - 
Ayo Ogunmakin
2face
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Freiburger(m): 11:38pm On Mar 19, 2010
Why not? If they grow up.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2010
Freiburger:

Why not? If they grow up.

well, they have grown up,
Ayo Ogunmakin joyful album reached Double-Platinum status in France, Platinum in Germany and Poland, Gold status in Switzerland  and Italy  and Greece.

Lagbaja also has the potential of winning it, I believe one of them will win a grammy in the near future.Lagbaja, Femi, Asa, Nneka, and Ayo all have something in common. they have originality and are masters in at least one musical instrument. That is not common among Nigerian musicians.

A short documentary on Nneka released in january 2010,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ktGxKDp4s

The girl is on a higher level, people listen to her songs even in far away brazil smiley
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by jj2love36(m): 12:08am On Mar 20, 2010
why n0t at least fella has had a n0mination bef0re n0w.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Redman44(m): 1:22am On Mar 20, 2010
Nneka Egbuna can win a Grammy Award [ or awards for Nigeria ] if she goes on like this. She's hot and practically lived in Nigeria for many years. She even has a Nigerian accent and proudly tells people she's Nigerian smiley smiley I love her for being genuine with her thoughts. I'm listening to her songs on YOUTUBE as I type this post. KUSH made a mistake splitting up sad sad sad. Emem Ema, TY Bello, Lara George and Dapo Torimiro should have stayed together, and I believe by now, they would have released great urban gospel albums that would have been nominated in the Gospel Music section of the Grammy Awards. Their album '' The Experience'' made some impact in the United States and Britain. By now, they would have collaborated with Gospel artistes like Cece Winans, Grits, Alvin Slaughter etc. I pray they will get back together again for a sophomore album. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 20, 2010
saxywale:

Sade, Seal, Chamillonaire are not Nigerians, so we have to rule those ones out,

In my opinion, The living musicians that grew up in Nigeria and can actually win it are,

Asa
Nneka Egbuna -  one of her track 'Kangpe' was featured as a soundtrack on the EA Sports FIFA 2010 video game
Femi Kuti  - 
Ayo Ogunmakin
2face

will you people give it a rest already and stop denying people's heritage in this gongosu  manner.

Do you see Senegal denying Akon the way you people constantly display your jealousy of Nigerian artists who have made a name for themselves abroad? You're not the one who will define who is or isnt Nigerian.

If na dna "naija" now nobody will hear a peep from you. Yet people whose fathers and mothers are bonafide Nigerians, are now at the receiving end of your rants?

jeez.

I'm still waiting for the day some drunk fool will tell me I'm not what I say I am.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by bjmighty(m): 3:00am On Mar 20, 2010
9ice for grammy! Dude is sick with word play. Tradition is lyrically crazy!
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by skyone(m): 8:03am On Mar 20, 2010
Shade Adu, Nas, and Seal all have their root in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by skyone(m): 8:04am On Mar 20, 2010
And Tupac

The son of Afeni Shakur
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by MzBabs(f): 8:35am On Mar 20, 2010
As an American, I think it's safe to say that Asa is at the top of the list as far as any Nigerian that's likely to win a grammy. I wish her well.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by mystikal(m): 11:04am On Mar 20, 2010
I need a crash course in Yoruba soon, to really see what's this big deal with 9ice's Tradition. Maybe then I would stop thinking the Album was too uniform,

A Nigerian can win the grammy, just look at some of the songs that have won it already.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by 1forall: 11:10am On Mar 20, 2010
Not sure we know what the Grammys are about

Topic: Not in the far future, except Femi Kuti.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by chelseabmw(m): 12:40pm On Mar 20, 2010
i know say e go better for us one day
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:42pm On Mar 20, 2010
Hmmm. . .I think Asa, 2face & Nneka* (not feeling her but she's doing the right thing by touring US, appearing on David Letterman show etc) can bring home the Grammy but I'm kinda dissapointed no-one mentioned Jeremiah Gyang. . .Dude is multi-talented, has a great voice, is a multi-instrumentalist and can actually SING. He's also as ethnic as the word goes. His debut album 'Na baka' was a classic IMO and I still jam it till today. He just needs to be pushed out there like the Nneka's & Asa's IMO.

Y'all should take a listen to THIS
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 20, 2010
tpia.:

will you people give it a rest already and stop denying people's heritage in this gongosu  manner.

Do you see Senegal denying Akon the way you people constantly display your jealousy of Nigerian artists who have made a name for themselves abroad? You're not the one who will define who is or isnt Nigerian.

If na dna "naija" now nobody will hear a peep from you. Yet people whose fathers and mothers are bonafide Nigerians, are now at the receiving end of your rants?

jeez.

I'm still waiting for the day some drunk fool will tell me I'm not what I say I am.

No1 is jealous or defining who is Nigeria or not. Anybody has the right to claim any country he or she wants to be labeled with as long he/she is a part citizen of that country, Some grime rappers of Nigerian Descent in the UK like Jme,Skepta Tinie tempah, dizzee Rascal or R n B singer Lemar or Shirley Bassey e.t.c don't call themselves or refer to themselves as Nigerian.

And American musicians of Jamaican parents or descent like Kelis, Busta ryhmes, Notorious big, Mya, Canibus, Grace Jones, Heavy D, Krs one, Slick rick, Will.i.am, e.t.c never refer to themselves as Jamaicans but Americans.

If Seal wins a Grammy Award today, the British or American press will report it has a British winning a Grammy not a Nigerian.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by ayowiki(m): 4:10pm On Mar 20, 2010
Ayo. also appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman on 10 January 2008.
She toured the States extensively during summer 2008 and even lives (part time) in New York.
Although she grew up in Germany her father is from Nigeria and she has strong ties to her family there.
She definitely would deserve it although her American label was unfortunately not very helpful in promoting her in the US.

Gu
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:30pm On Mar 20, 2010
ayowiki:

Ayo. also appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman on 10 January 2008.
She toured the States extensively during summer 2008 and even lives (part time) in New York.
Although she grew up in Germany her father is from Nigeria and she has strong ties to her family there.
She definitely would deserve it although her American label was unfortunately not very helpful in promoting her in the US.

Gu
Your 1st post on Nairaland with ayowiki as a username and it's to promote Ayo?. . .Sorry, are you Ayò?
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by shotster50(m): 2:16am On Mar 21, 2010
If Nigerian artistes have been nominated before, what stops them from being nominated again!!!! The whole Grammy thing is now over rated anyway.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by idifu(m): 10:15pm On Mar 21, 2010
yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shallipopi - ASAP (Official Music Video) / Download:burna Boy – Koni Baje MP3 Download / Download Album: Fireboy DML – Laughter, Tears & Goosebumps Zip File

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.