Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide (3099 Views)

Who Is Your Best And Has Been Your Best Nigeria Musician Of All Time? / Which Nigeria Musician Can Win Grammy Award? / Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 9:39am On Jun 09, 2012
I am old enough to remember Osibisa in the 1970's, Sunny Ade concert in London in 1980's and of course the perptual Fela. None of these musicians despite their worldwide fame never hit it big in mainstream music worldwide. They were always known as 'world music' an expression coined in the 1990's.

the only Nigerian musician that had a one hit wonder in the 1990's on mainsream music charts in many countires was the Sweden based 'Dr Alban'.

But D'banj is different, his music is making waves on the UK charts, played in clubs around Europe (not just the black or nigerian based clubs), Oliver Tiwst is getting a lot of radio play, even played in a very popular UK soap opera 'eastenders' when the show was showing young people having a party.

the track 'oliver twist' as most nairalanders know is actually sung in a mix of pidgin english and Nigerian slangs. this is bringing Nigerian pop culture to the world akin to reggae promoting jamaican patois or even American rap with hip hop of the 80's.

So is D'banj on the verge of becoming Nigeria's most famous and influencial musician?

I know many people will mention FELA, but the great Fela's music was never mainstream around the world and many newer Nigerian musicians are just FELA wannabes hence they are not really breaking new ground or getting really new auidences.

However D'banj's music brings a fresh look at contempoary music that fit's well in current popular music despite it's Nigerian roots.

A few more hits from D'banj, one or two colloborations with American musicians, a few more apprerances on US & UK TV and watch him explode.

Bear in mind popular music doesn't always have to be about' no light', no water', 'dem dey tief' - sometimes we just want to dance.

2 Likes

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by amosy007: 10:06am On Jun 09, 2012
Yes.. If he can release one more solid track that can make it to like top 3.. He will definately be unstoppable

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by emofine2(f): 2:38pm On Jun 09, 2012
faithin9ja: I am old enough to remember Osibisa in the 1970's, Sunny Ade concert in London in 1980's and of course the perptual Fela. None of these musicians despite their worldwide fame never hit it big in mainstream music worldwide. They were always known as 'world music' an expression coined in the 1990's.

Well I find it rather ironic that those artists of “world music” have actually influenced mainstream music even though their music was not directly inaugurated into the mainstream whilst Dbanj (or whatever he’s called depending on the geography of his fans) is heavily influenced by mainstream music.

It is indeed a possibility that Dbanj may unfortunately be the biggest Nigerian musician to hail from Nigeria at least in this current era but biggest doesn't necessarily mean better. However when Dbanj’s fame finally fades sadly he won’t be remembered in the same light as those artists of so called “world music”. Authenticity and/or originality is the difference between “legends” and mundane musicians. And that is why Dbanj can be replaced whilst someone like Fela cannot. If one wants to leave their undeniable mark (which I suppose not everyone cares to and that is completely fine) they may have to become pioneers or forge their own style instead of patterning themselves on to already existing ones.

Also I might add that some of those “world” musicians had many opportunities to break into the mainstream but transitioning into the mainstream requires one to tailor their style so compromises have to be made that not every musician is prepared or willing to submit to. I’m pretty sure Dbanj can manage the requirements however.

By the way, I believe the term “world music” to be bogus and marginalizing thus I resent that term sad.

But D'banj is different, his music is making waves on the UK charts, played in clubs around Europe (not just the black or nigerian based clubs), Oliver Tiwst is getting a lot of radio play, even played in a very popular UK soap opera 'eastenders' when the show was showing young people having a party.

Lol I once recall Fela’s music being played on that show...

the track 'oliver twist' as most nairalanders know is actually sung in a mix of pidgin english and Nigerian slangs. this is bringing Nigerian pop culture to the world akin to reggae promoting jamaican patois or even American rap with hip hop of the 80's.

Hmm not quite. Despite the relative fame that Dbanj has acquired...Pidgin English (at least in the UK) was a lingo that at the very least many Urban Londoners especially in South and East London or any region possessing a significant Nigerian/West African diaspora was very much aware of but of course pidgin has never thus far eclipsed the clout of patois in the UK and understandably so given various factors i.e. music. If anything Dbanj may be credited with peddling its popularity not causing it.

So is D'banj on the verge of becoming Nigeria's most famous and influencial musician?

Well I would argue as of now he seems to be one of if not the most influenc[b]ed[/b] Nigerian musician and he imports more than he exports currently...but he has a goal and that is to be recognized. So I don’t doubt that Dbanj may very well be one of the most famous Nigerian musician...but not every musician’s goal is to become famous...some just want to make good music, some just want a platform to be political etc...and Dbanj wants to entertain.

I know many people will mention FELA, but the great Fela's music was never mainstream around the world and many newer Nigerian musicians are just FELA wannabes hence they are not really breaking new ground or getting really new auidences.

You have a point but it’s quite ironic given Dbanj and some of his colleagues who not only jump on the Fela bandwagon when convenient but some are also American wannabees...which is actually worse embarassed.

But that also goes to highlight my earlier point that Fela unlike Dbanj is irreplaceable because there was a uniqueness about his music and in extension himself that cannot be imitated and surpassed by even that of his sons.

However D'banj's music brings a fresh look at contempoary music that fit's well in current popular music despite it's Nigerian roots.

I agree.

Bear in mind popular music doesn't always have to be about' no light', no water', 'dem dey tief' - sometimes we just want to dance.

Of course and popular music doesn’t always have to be about copying another’s known style but it can satisfy an already known genre. And popular music neither means that such music is good...but that’s just my opinion.

No doubt that Dbanj is getting his name out there and it is being heard but let’s not exaggerate the implications of his fame undecided.

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 3:57pm On Jun 09, 2012
It is indeed a possibility that Dbanj may unfortunately be the biggest Nigerian musician to hail from Nigeria at least in this current era but biggest doesn't necessarily mean better. However when Dbanj’s fame finally fades sadly he won’t be remembered in the same light as those artists of so called “world music”. Authenticity and/or originality is the difference between “legends” and mundane musicians. And that is why Dbanj can be replaced whilst someone like Fela cannot. If one wants to leave their undeniable mark (which I suppose not everyone cares to and that is completely fine) they may have to become pioneers or forge their own style instead of patterning themselves on to already existing ones.
[color=#006600][/color]

Your right 'biggest' doesn't mean 'better', I may have not made that distinction clear. Personally I like D'banj's music, but I wouldn't put him or many of other musicians music I listen to when jogging as amongst the 'better' musicians (FELA is very high on my list).

D'banj's music is more or less Nigerian based 'pop' music. It doesn't lend itself to critical acclaim or even longevity, but whilst it is regining it will surely pull in the crowds, give D'banj fame and fortune and give Nigerians something to be proud about.

As a nation we have too few names that make it in the everyday media in a positive light. Even our footballers are not household names around the world except to the footballing franternity. As popular as FELA is/was how many people around the world have heard of him compared to even Justin Bebier?

I want D'banj to be as famous as Justin Bebier or Justin Timberland; I know his current brand of music will not be Bob Marley or FELAesque in it's longevity but let's have some good news from Nigeria for a change.

Yes, Nigerian pidgin is becoming more widespread in certain locations in London, D'banj's music will further this and as such bring the Nigeria culture into more acceptance by Nigerian children in the diaspora and the world society as a whole (not unlike Shaba Ranks in the early 90's but hopefully not with the violence and slankneess of the Yardie lyrics and some behaviour of their followers)

In summary, D'Banj's music may not win critcal acclaim but worldwide acceptance on the 'pop' charts around the world will be great for this young man, and we who share his heritage.

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Aloodunayo: 5:22pm On Jun 09, 2012
word
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Abagworo(m): 4:22am On Jun 10, 2012
Dr Alban is out of the question because he was never a Nigerian based artist but "Its my Life" is one of the best selling songs in human history. He is my brother anyway but I'm writing this without sentiments.

I don't know if Nneka is Nigerian based or not but if considered, then "heartbeats" has already impacted the world the way "Oliver" is impacting. Remember one half of Light House Family, Seal, Sade, Lemar, Tinie Tempah, Chiddy Bang and other Nigerian borns that have impacted the world greatly.

On genre, I think we'll all agree that "Oliver" can be considered as "Afrobeat" and it is on that ground that we acknowledge what D'banj is about to do. Take our Nigerian music in its "raw form" to the world but I also think it is a movement that is going on at different places at the same time. Just as "Oliver" is hitting the UK charts with one week in top 10, Remix of P-Squares "E No Easy" has been in the French top 5 for the past 4 weeks. I won't be surprised if focus turns briefly to African music in the next 2 years as it did to South American "reggaeton" in the mid 2000's.
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by oyeakd(m): 7:35am On Jun 10, 2012
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 7:40am On Jun 10, 2012
Abagworo: Dr Alban is out of the question because he was never a Nigerian based artist but "Its my Life" is one of the best selling songs in human history. He is my brother anyway but I'm writing this without sentiments.

I don't know if Nneka is Nigerian based or not but if considered, then "heartbeats" has already impacted the world the way "Oliver" is impacting. Remember one half of Light House Family, Seal, Sade, Lemar, Tinie Tempah, Chiddy Bang and other Nigerian borns that have impacted the world greatly.

On genre, I think we'll all agree that "Oliver" can be considered as "Afrobeat" and it is on that ground that we acknowledge what D'banj is about to do. Take our Nigerian music in its "raw form" to the world but I also think it is a movement that is going on at different places at the same time. Just as "Oliver" is hitting the UK charts with one week in top 10, Remix of P-Squares "E No Easy" has been in the French top 5 for the past 4 weeks. I won't be surprised if focus turns briefly to African music in the next 2 years as it did to South American "reggaeton" in the mid 2000's.

the difference between these musicians and D'banj is that they were most probably not really recognised as 'Nigerian' Yes, those that know will know 'Seal' was born in Lagos or 'Sade' was born in Ibadan, but generally most people just recognised their music but not really the origin of their music.

It's not possible to hear D'Banj or P-Square and not realise that they are Nigerian and singing 'Nigerian' music. Just like like Shaba Ranks, Bob Marley are instantly recognised as Jamaican, unlike Heavy D and Grace Jones who are also Jamaican but their music is not described as Jamaican.

This is why I say D'Banj if he continues at this rate (which I believe he capable of) will bring fame to Nigeria's music even bigger than FELA.

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Aloodunayo: 11:35am On Jun 11, 2012
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Murphy7h4: 6:32am On Jun 12, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]nice work grin
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by omar22(m): 10:20am On Jun 12, 2012
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by idifu(m): 12:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
d banj can neva be bigger than Fela,Femi,sunny Ade,Nneka...... most of d things u have bin reading abt dbanj on papers are hype.
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2012
idifu: d banj can neva be bigger than Fela,Femi,sunny Ade,Nneka...... most of d things u have bin reading abt dbanj on papers are hype.

None of the people you mentioned ever made it into in international music charts. Fela and Sunny Ade are biggest of your list but they were never mainstream musicians in the rest of the world. They were well known by a sizable minority (especially Fela) in what is known as the 'world music' scene.

Dbanj on the other hand is breaking ground with Nigerian music in clubs around the world. Previous Nigerians who did this such a Lighthouse family, Sade, Dr Alban or even Seal - biggest here being Seal and Sade never really played 'Nigerian inspired music'. I don't if D'banj will ever be as big as Seal or Sade, but he's going bigger than other Nigerian based musicians, watch this space.

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 3:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
idifu: d banj can neva be bigger than Fela,Femi,sunny Ade,Nneka...... most of d things u have bin reading abt dbanj on papers are hype.

We listen to his music on the radio everyday in the UK, how times did they ever pay Sunny Ade on the main radio stations in the UK even at the height of his fame?

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Abagworo(m): 1:10am On Jun 16, 2012
faithin9ja:

We listen to his music on the radio everyday in the UK, how times did they ever pay Sunny Ade on the main radio stations in the UK even at the height of his fame?

It is a fallacy to mention D'banj alongside Fela or Sunny Ade. I'll bet in your world Sean Paul is more successful than Bob Marley.

Below is the link to top 100 most played song in the world and you got 2 Nigerian based acts in there. With productions coming from Don Jazzy and J. Martins at Nos 45 and 73 respectively.

http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=36
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by faithin9ja: 11:28am On Jun 17, 2012
Abagworo:

It is a fallacy to mention D'banj alongside Fela or Sunny Ade. I'll bet in your world Sean Paul is more successful than Bob Marley.

Below is the link to top 100 most played song in the world and you got 2 Nigerian based acts in there. With productions coming from Don Jazzy and J. Martins at Nos 45 and 73 respectively.

http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=36

You are obviously not reading my posts, I it made very clear, that D'banj may not win critical acclaim (I trust you know what that means) but in terms of sales and worldwide mainstream appreciation, if he continues he will definitely surpass FELA and Sunny Ade. This does not mean D'banj music is better than FELA or Sunny Ade - it's just means more people know his music.

the FELA's and Sunny Ade's of this world never made it on mainstream radio stations around the world.

and no you can never compare Bob Marley to Sean Paul - either in music quality, critical acclaim or even record sales and global recognition, there's no contest. (Bob Marley's music was often in TOP 10 charts around the world, unlike FELA)

1 Like

Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by queensmith: 11:46pm On Jun 17, 2012
I think his success is moderate considering the exposure that he's had. Fine he entered the british charts but who doesnt? We brits listen to all sorts. Artists like p square, flavor, bracket and the likes are still more popular than he is minus the exposure.

You've based this 'success' on the fact he sold records in britain? What of the records psquare are selling in south africa? Does that not count. What about Asa who is very mainstream in France? Nneka who is rocking emo and pop culture worldwide (something no Nigerian has done). 9ice (who is even a pure yoruba artist) gaining recognition performing at historic events.

Why do people make noise about this Dbanj? I'm yet to get it I swear.
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by dudubynature: 7:45pm On Jun 19, 2012
u say wat? Biggest Naija musician shocked lwkmd indeed,

gudluck with him but I still believe that was a bad move.
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by Murphy7h4: 8:10am On Jun 20, 2012
Nice work!
Re: D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide by OmoUSH(m): 4:11pm On Jul 10, 2013
Abagworo: Dr Alban is out of the question because he was never a Nigerian based artist but "Its my Life" is one of the best selling songs in human history. He is my brother anyway but I'm writing this without sentiments.

nigerians are always poor in knowledge. Hmm! Little wonder africans have been enslaved for centuries. W

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

D’banj To Sign Olamide To His Music Label With Pix / Download Mp3: DJ Ace – Electro House Mix / DOWNLOAD: Vector - The Truth (mode Nine Diss)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.