Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,111 members, 7,860,023 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:08 AM

Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? (9245 Views)

Grammy:list Of Nigeria Musicians That Can Win The GRAMMY AWARD / D'banj About To Be The Biggest Nigeria Musician Worldwide / Which Nigeria Musician Can Win Grammy Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 21, 2010
This colonial mentality/mental slavery needs to stop.

Why should an American award be the yardstick by which we measure the excellence of Nigerian or African music?

Since when??

Disgraceful.

I say to hell with the grammys. If a Nigerian artiste wins one, good for them, and if not, no biggie at all.

Now someone will tell me Beyonce is ''better than'' Asa. Why? She won 10 Grammys!!  And Asa hasn't won any Grammys!!

An American who wins an American award must be ''better'' than a Nigerian who did not win the same American award!

It's the height of inferiority complex and rank stupidity and, and Nigerians need to shine their eyes well well, and back off.

No one can make you feel inferior if you don't let them.

Promote and invest in, and hype up YOUR own top class African awards, and YOU set up the criteria for what constitutes excellent music.

God gave YOU the same ears and brains to appreciate good music, that he gave Americans.

Americans do not accept any other nation's criteria but theirs for what constitutes good music, so why should you even CONSIDER for ONE SECOND what they think about YOUR music??

I repeat:  No one can make you feel inferior if you don't let them. It all begins and ends with YOU.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Rmc1(m): 1:01am On Mar 22, 2010
yes a nigerian can win a grammy if they start norminating artist for african conteporary music genre just like they do in like hip hop, rap, rnb. if not e go hard o
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Virgo83(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]HOPEFUL ASA & TUFACE[/font]
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by kpolli(m): 2:53pm On Mar 23, 2010
Nigerians have won grammys, sade, seal,
who else do u want againtuface or d'banj
them tell u say oyinbo dey hear - implication
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Riverman2: 1:52am On Mar 24, 2010
kpolli:

Nigerians have won grammys, sade, seal,
who else do u want againtuface or d'banj
them tell u say oyinbo dey hear - implication

lol, true talk, chei laff go kill me, wetin concern oyinbo with IMPLICATION, lol
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by chiogo(f): 1:59am On Mar 24, 2010
Ehh, no idea.

Generally, the Grammies favor Americans and maybe British folks(sometimes) so if this 'Nigerian musician' is in Nigeria, tough luck!
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Riverman2: 2:09am On Mar 24, 2010
why would u say it favors americans? isnt it an american award in the 1st place

They just opened thier criteria to allow non-american citizens enter the nomination process, provided u are a paid member of the academy

So tell Tuface to apply for membership and begin lobbying for an award, till then, he is whack

NNEKA has a shot for this years process, cos the buzz for her in LA is sick and she did a gud job at South By southwest music FEST
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by chiogo(f): 2:13am On Mar 24, 2010
Yes, I said it favors them, not in a bad way since it's their thing. But still, it favors them or how else do I put it?.

Which kain membership? undecided Wouldn't membership mean living in the states 'cause even if you're a so-called member and not in the States, your music doesn't get heard by a large amount of people - you still don't get nominated!
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Riverman2: 2:16am On Mar 24, 2010
membership doesnt require legal residence, as u can be an international member, you just need to release that record up for nomination in the US to be in the regular categories, or submit to the WORLD music category, which an international member will have a better shot at,
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by chiogo(f): 2:19am On Mar 24, 2010
Hmm interesting.

I guess 2face, Asa, Nneka, and co. have a shot. undecided
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Riverman2: 2:25am On Mar 24, 2010
i will say only NNEKA or ASA maybe, and ASA has no new material this year yet, so its gonna be NNEKA for sure, cos americans vote for the WORLD category and if u dont perform for ur peers/academy voters, then u lack visibility,

As for that Tuface world music award, i heard it was CASH n CARRY oh grin, Dokpesi and co paid for that award, grin

When TuFACe visits yankee, na to dey follow OBO/yansh up and down, or buying cars, he doesnt care for his talent getting to a world stage, hisss
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by chiogo(f): 2:28am On Mar 24, 2010
LOL you're such a joker.

But yeah, I haven't heard any new stuff from 2face but . . .

Maybe 'African queen' from the old album woulda been the ideal song for nomination.

I think Asa and Nneka make the kinda music they look for.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by stkitts1(f): 11:26pm On Mar 24, 2010
this 9ice's tradition album, i have no doubt that its a great album and all that with a bag of chips, but it being in a language that is not everyone's lingua franca makes it hard for the non speakers to appreciate its depth.
so those who r insulting people cos they dont get the album, dont be angry!

if youssou n'dor, salif keita, ladysmith black mamboza(these are world wide acclaimed african artistes that make great music) havent won a grammy, i doubt our musicians with songs like shayo wud win one.
some stand more of a chance than others,
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by kaybee2ng(m): 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2010
YES, ITS POSSIBLE BUT DEFINATELY NOT THE LIKE OF ALL THESE NAIJA RAVE MAKING ARTIST THAT ARE SINGING RUBBISH AND SMILLING TO THE BANK
SOMEONE SAID ON HIS SONG, THIS IS NONSENSE, E NO MAKE SENSE, SO HOW DO U EXPECT HIM TO WIN GRAMMY, YOU THINK GRAMMY COMMITTE ARE BUNCH OF IDIOT, OF COURSE NOT.

THERE ARE TO SIDE TO A GOOD MUSIC, 1ST IS THE BEAT AND THE 2ND IS THE MESSAGE. THERE ARE 2 TYPE OF MESSAGE, POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE MESSAGE. OF COURSE
NAIJA ARTIST ARE VERY GOOD IN PASSING NEGATIVE MESSSAGE TO THE YOUTH. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THEY ARE GOOD AT. OF COURSE YOU DONT HAVE TO BE CREATIVE TO DO THAT. EVEN A FOOLS CAN DO THAT, SO WHO'S SAYING THEY ARE TALENTED

THE LIKES OF FEMI KUTI, LAGBAJA, ASA, BANKY W, 2FACE, DARE ART ALADE, PAUL PLAY E.T.C AT LEAST THOSE ONE MAKE SOME SENSES

@CHUKS, YOU ARE RIGHT, 9ICE TRADITION IS A CRAP, HIS BEST ALBULM IS STILL THE CERTIFCATE FOLLOW BY GONGO ASO, THAT IS WHAT MADE HIM, HE HAS THE BEAT PLUS SOME MESSAGE. I AGREE TRADITION VIDEOS ARE GOOD
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Ruq: 2:02am On Apr 23, 2010
ITS GOING TO BE VERY RARE. WHY?

LOOK AT ALL OTHER COUNTRIES THEY HAVE A NATIONAL CHART WHICH THEY USE IN SCORING THE MOST REQUESTED SONGS. YES WE HAVE OURS BUT IT IS NOT FUNCTIONING IT IS NOT RECOGNIZED THEY DON'T EVEN USE IT TO JUDGE AWARDS.

FOR INSTANCE SUM1 LIKE 9ICE WE EXPECT TO WIN A GRAMMY WITH GONGO ASO YES HE CAN BUT LISTEN TO THAT SONG HOW MANY COUNTRIES HAS IT BEEN PLAYED WITH? HOW MANY TRANSLATIONS HAS HE MADE? AND HE EXPECTS A GRAMMY!!!

LOOK AT THEIR OWN ARTISTS SUM1 LIKE ALICIA KEYS WILL DO A SONG IT WILL TOP CHARTS IT VARIOUS COUNTRIES!
SHE WILL TRANSLATE TO CHINESE,JAPANESE,FRENCH FOR NON SPEAKING COUNTRIES. AND STILL TOP THEIR CHARTS

WHICH CHART HAS 9ICE TOPPED NOT EVEN HIS OWN COUNTRY SINCE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT A CHART.

AND SO MANY FAULTS WON'T LET THE GRAMMY COME AND YOU HAVE TO DO A SONG WHITES WILL BE ABLE TO RELATE TO SO YOU JUST CAN'T REMAIN AFRICAN ALLTRU!
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by sinistyle(m): 8:02am On Apr 23, 2010
do they need to win a grammy?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by OmoUSH(m): 4:00pm On Jul 10, 2013
Heys, the fact is that grammys are meant for the nobles not the alimanjiris and morons that call themseves singers in African,especially in niger. Even keri hilson and global teen phenomenal teen,beiber are yet to win. Mayb any future reasonable artist here can one day but not these present imbeciles. The only person i have always admire so much is...PAUL PLAY. THE GUY IS OUT OF THIS NIGERIAN ZONE. A big bang for Asa, Lagbaja and Femi Kuti too. Also, 2baba is trying his best. That is all! Grammy ke?
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Buike8: 1:44am On Jan 08, 2016
sorry dear, your inferiority complex is very strong
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by lalaboi(m): 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2016
It is possible. nothing is impossible.
Re: Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? by Yksoul(m): 7:11pm On Jan 08, 2016
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE,WITH ALL THIS SHAKE SHAKE BODY,AND WINE AM..?GRAMMY ENTAILS SONGS THAT HAVE MEANINGS, LIKE TELLING A STORY WITH POETIC,HIGHLY POLISHED ENGLISH.NOT OPEN AM, TOUCH ME MAKE I DIE?!...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VIDEO: 'All I Want Is You' - Banky-W & Chidinma / Baby Boy - "Testimony" (Video & Audio) / Download:burna Boy – Koni Baje MP3 Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.