Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. (8343 Views)

Share Your Experiences As A Younger Senior Management Staff / Did You Recently Quit Your Job For Another One? Let Us Share Experiences / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 12:39pm On Mar 29, 2010
Backstabbing,Snitching, Rumor mongering and Deceit happens not only in the office but in all facets of life where survival becomes a priority.There are a handful of people who have their pride and are self disciplined to avoid such.Majority do this all the time.They believe in putting out another person's flame so that theirs can shine brighter.It happens in the family,church,community. . .even in your neighborhood. I've had this experience too many times to count for example, there was an exportation deal that i was working on and a pal of mine who was into the same line of business went behind my back to contact the customer, telling him that i wasn't a reliable business man and i wasn't capable of meeting up to expectation.He also called me some terrible things which i can't mention here.The funny thing is, after all said and done, the same customer called me and told me what my "pal" had told him and he had decided not to deal with any of us.He also told me he didn't' believe a thing my "pal" said but he wasn't comfortable dealing with me anymore.He further advised that i watch the people i bring close to me.

That's human beings for you.Funny thing is my so called "pal" is a distant relative of mine.That's life.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Meldrick(m): 12:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
v3:

It happened just last week where i work, there's this lady (in IT, a corper) i helped configure her phone to surf the net,i also helped the I.T staff to manage/administer the network (I just happen to know these Windows Server things).

I NEVER knew they'd spent about 3 mill on some sort of security/firewall stuff that'll NOT allow staffs use Facebook n Twitter while at work, I was Tweeting on my laptop and the SAME girl i helped saw me and called the I.T guys cry cry , My boss was like "Kev, you just breached a firewall we spent 3million to implement". I passed out when i heard the amount, I was like "Where do i start from?"

The thing is, since then. . I've limited the work-place chat-ups & distance myself from the I.T dept.

By reporting you, she feels she is efficient and believes she will be retained. Someone who has not gone anywhere and she has started this way.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 1:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
Meldrick:

By reporting you, she feels she is efficient and believes she will be retained. Someone who has not gone anywhere and she has started this way.

I might be wrong but from my observation, most office politics is carried out by women.I'm not saying men don't do this but women are the greatest culprits.For instance, my neighbor has been working in UBA for over 12 years.He has been there since the days of "standard trust bank".He's a HND holder and just finished his BSC programme (part time).A lady (BSC holder) with little experience was posted to his branch to be his boss.From the first day she got there, it was hell.She was creating unnecessary drama in the place just to let everyone know who is boss.She focused her attention on him coz he was the most hardworking and experienced person on the staff.Every little thing he did, she would find fault.If there was a big transaction that he usually handles himself, she would insist it goes through her first.It got to a point where she actually told him that if he didn't feel comfy working under her, he could resign.This was a slut that knew little or nothing about the inner workings of banking.Next thing, unnecessary queries started coming in.He had to resign and today, he's gotten a better job in an oil firm.

I do my best to avoid any business dealings with women.They are never straightforward and bring loads of wahala with them.

End of.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 29, 2010
^^^^^

this is the exact story we are facing where i work right now
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 29, 2010
v3:

It happened just last week where i work, there's this lady (in IT, a corper) i helped configure her phone to surf the net,i also helped the I.T staff to manage/administer the network (I just happen to know these Windows Server things).

I NEVER knew they'd spent about 3 mill on some sort of security/firewall stuff that'll NOT allow staffs use Facebook n Twitter while at work, I was Tweeting on my laptop and the SAME girl i helped saw me and called the I.T guys cry cry , My boss was like "Kev, you just breached a firewall we spent 3million to implement". I passed out when i heard the amount, I was like "Where do i start from?"

The thing is, since then. . I've limited the work-place chat-ups & distance myself from the I.T dept.

whats really funny is that you just proved their firewall is not worth shit. the stupid girl is the one who has unwittingly opened her departments yansh - that firewall is porous
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by lonelydude: 1:18pm On Mar 29, 2010
I'll be resuming soon in a multinational oil coy as a fresher. Please you guys should keep sharing your experiences coz I'm really learning a great deal from you all.

How do you deal with erratic women and over-assertive people in a typical Nigeria place of work?
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 1:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
v3:

I NEVER knew they'd spent about 3 mill on some sort of security/firewall stuff that'll NOT allow staffs use Facebook n Twitter while at work, I was Tweeting  on my laptop and the SAME girl i helped saw me and called the I.T guys  cry  cry , My boss was like "Kev, you just breached a firewall we spent 3million to implement". I passed out when i heard the amount, I was like "Where do i start from?"

Same thing i've been talking about.Women and their drama.When i see things like this, i begin to see why our forefathers insisted on restricting women in the kitchen.

What happened to you really sucks! angry
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by titsqueez(m): 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2010
harakiri:

I might be wrong but from my observation, most office politics is carried out by women.I'm not saying men don't do this but women are the greatest culprits.For instance, my neighbor has been working in UBA for over 12 years.He has been there since the days of "standard trust bank".He's a HND holder and just finished his BSC programme (part time).A lady (BSC holder) with little experience was posted to his branch to be his boss.From the first day she got there, it was hell.She was creating unnecessary drama in the place just to let everyone know who is boss.She focused her attention on him coz he was the most hardworking and experienced person on the staff.Every little thing he did, she would find fault.If there was a big transaction that he usually handles himself, she would insist it goes through her first.It got to a point where she actually told him that if he didn't feel comfy working under her, he could resign.This was a slut that knew little or nothing about the inner workings of banking.Next thing, unnecessary queries started coming in.He had to resign and today, he's gotten a better job in an oil firm.
I do my best to avoid any business dealings with women.They are never straightforward and bring loads of wahala with them.

End of.

sometimes the push we need can come from whom we most detest. If she didnt make his life hell he may still be languishing.
I have this female at my work, ready to do anything to gain favour in the sight of the bosses, she is even trying her hands on professional exams even though she is a certified dunce
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2010
lonelydude:

I'll be resuming soon in a multinational oil coy as a fresher. Please you guys should keep sharing your experiences coz I'm really learning a great deal from you all.

How do you deal with erratic women and over-assertive people at a typical Nigeria place of work?

First of all, you learn to avoid any form of office gossip at ALL costs.Secondly, you mind your business and only concern yourself with being the best you can be within the office.Third, DON'T EVER MAKE FRIENDS IN THE OFFICE ESPECIALLY WITH WOMEN! Fourth, you don't have to make yourself a stranger but don't encourage any uneccessary alliances in the office.Be yourself.Fifth, get a book called "The Mafia Manager".It's sold everywhere (even street hawkers sell it).Read through it and meditate on it.It will help you a long way.

Cheers.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Kx: 1:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
If u do control/risk mgt/audit fx,be ready to be
"bambozzled" and intimidated by the coys ceo/md
especially when u stand in his way when he wants to violate rules.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by JUO(m): 1:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
busy body go crash-land one day
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by hameet: 2:10pm On Mar 29, 2010
wot i hate most is the fact that all men feel they should toast any single babe fresshly employed. well, i was able to fight them off. it wasn't easy but it worked for me.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by azeezbaba(m): 2:17pm On Mar 29, 2010
@all,

I am a public servant. As we all know, your promotion depends on who u know but I must quickly add that I have not experienced any of such things in my workplace and I have worked here for almost 4years.

Some of u may say I belong to a clique but the truth of the matter is that the staff strength of my dept is about 160 staff and we have 1 Director and 3 Deputy Directors. They are not the type of bosses that listen to hearsays. We relate as if we are families and am loving it. Mind you, I have also prepared myself for a day when some1 will try set me up or play office politics.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by lonelydude: 2:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
harakiri:

First of all, you learn to avoid any form of office gossip at ALL costs.Secondly, you mind your business and only concern yourself with being the best you can be within the office.Third, DON'T EVER MAKE FRIENDS IN THE OFFICE ESPECIALLY WITH WOMEN! Fourth, you don't have to make yourself a stranger but don't encourage any uneccessary alliances in the office.Be yourself.Fifth, get a book called "The Mafia Manager".It's sold everywhere (even street hawkers sell it).Read through it and meditate on it.It will help you a long way.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Noted.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by axeman85(m): 2:59pm On Mar 29, 2010
wow very interesting responses indeed.

personally, i keep my head down and do my job and what is expected of me, when they are gossiping i just listen an smile and dont join them in talking at all. currently its on myself and one ghana guy in my whole dpt that talk regularly but never the less my days are nuumberd there as i will soon be checking out from there.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ gettolove r u an 'agbero' (no pun intended) nywayz bak 2 topic. U may end up realising she has a crush on u while u were liking sumone else.@ poster i realy hope u r not involved in office romance cos if u r u r lukin 4 trouble
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 3:09pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kx:

If u do control/risk mgt/audit fx,be ready to be
"bambozzled" and intimidated by the coys ceo/md
especially when u stand in his way when he wants to violate rules.

So true.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Richtronix(m): 3:09pm On Mar 29, 2010
Axeman,

Beware of Ghanaian eye service, they are always sucking up to oyinbos at the expense of their fellow Africans.

In my general experience, I would say its all about managing expectations, know what your boss expects from you and act likewise, know what your colleagues expect from you and treat them likewise and finally know what you want from the job and act likewise.

You cant go wrong as youve covered all the bases in which any haters can attempt to use to attack you.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by kemisuga(f): 3:18pm On Mar 29, 2010
beware of people that appear to be friends but they are really your enemies!!!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by harakiri(m): 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
Richtronix:

Axeman,

Beware of Ghanaian eye service, they are always sucking up to oyinbos at the expense of their fellow Africans.

In my general experience, I would say its all about managing expectations, know what your boss expects from you and act likewise, know what your colleagues expect from you and treat them likewise and finally know what you want from the job and act likewise.

You cant go wrong as youve covered all the bases in which any haters can attempt to use to attack you.

It's not only Ghanians.You need to see how various Nigerian tribes run down themselves overseas just to look good.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by candylips(m): 3:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
why are people so difficult in Nigeria.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by v3: 4:01pm On Mar 29, 2010
kemisuga:

beware of people that appear to be friends but they are really your enemies!!!
How do u tell?, EVEN THE darn POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND! angry angry

The corper chick realised her mistake but it was too late, my name's on the blacklist for their stupidity/selfishness (To think i hooked her up on how to Tweet her man in the UK, at the expense of my job) angry angry
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
I know this does not have anything to do with the post,a colleague just lost heq job,just because she gave birth,which is against the bank ethic for an employee to give birth during the first two yrs of employment.is that lawful?
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by v3: 4:33pm On Mar 29, 2010
What on earth? shocked shocked

She got laid-off cuz she gave birth? Let her sue their hind! angry angry
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 29, 2010
FL,I am papa o.I will be like a sugar daddy to you
Ohhhhhhhh!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by sley4life(m): 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2010
coming late due to Traff
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by manny4life(m): 5:01pm On Mar 29, 2010
@OP, get used to it, At least now that you know, you know what to do. In my workplace, I have someone like that, big snitch and gossip at that, and when I work with her, I never share personal experiences and work stuff is only on rare cases but that doesn't mean when I see her, I don't say good morning.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by tytylayor: 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2010
hmmmmmmmm mewa nsele
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
We all must learn never to put too much trust in friends especially at work , learn to use enemies. most times the friends at work tend to be the worst enemies.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by anusule(m): 9:42pm On Mar 29, 2010
office politics is in every office even in this uk, they talk behind your back and still address you as 'love'
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by fender(m): 9:49pm On Mar 29, 2010
Office politics & gossip, i don't sbscribe to such bullshit. cos we have haters posing to be friends. somtimes in order not to be part of the whole crap, i don't in the midst of their discussions.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by kizi: 10:14pm On Mar 29, 2010
* Ziggi - Backbiters & Informers *

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Army Career / Needs Guide On How To Lodge A Formal Complaint / How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.