Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,770 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. (8346 Views)

Share Your Experiences As A Younger Senior Management Staff / Did You Recently Quit Your Job For Another One? Let Us Share Experiences / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by axeman85(m): 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2010
@richtronix

noo this one we are on the same page and level. so i trust say him no go open him mouth anyhow and even if him do sef, i gat just 5months left in the company and uk anyway, make i go joint the race for naija. lol
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by AjanleKoko: 10:42pm On Mar 29, 2010
harakiri:

I might be wrong but from my observation, most office politics is carried out by women.I'm not saying men don't do this but women are the greatest culprits.

Actually this is true.
Men play the politics with caution, but women raise the roof. Don't know why it is so, but women are always 'leveraging' when it comes to work. Should there arise situations where they have a little 'something' going on with the ogas. They usually go berserk with power, and end up destroying themselves.

I've had two career episodes where female colleagues were 'getting it on' with the Big Oga. Those ladies went haywire! Stepping on people, left right and center. Destroyed a few careers along the way. Surprisingly, as the ogas bowed out, the ladies didn't last 6 months before they were booted out for one past indiscretion or the other. It always seems to play out that way.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by nazzyon(m): 11:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
Customer: Hello

Me: Hi

Me: How may I help you Madam?

Customer: ,

Customer: May I know your name?

Me: I am Abdulrahman

Customer: Wow! That's something. So, you are an Abdul Mutallab

---

I was infuriated that I had to walk her out of my office.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by denzel2009: 11:57pm On Mar 29, 2010
nazzyon:

Customer: Hello

Me: Hi

Me: How may I help you Madam?

Customer: ,

Customer: May I know your name?

Me: I am Abdulrahman

Customer: Wow! That's something. So, you are an Abdul Mutallab

---

I was infuriated that I had to walk her out of my office.

Thats bang out of order!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by mallorca(m): 12:43am On Mar 30, 2010
that is the price most of you need to pay for having a job,i encounter not such experience.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Redman44(m): 1:20am On Mar 30, 2010
Lovely thread cheesy cheesy God Bless the initiator of this thread. Office politics can be taken to abnormal levels, mates. I'm still wondering why some people like to snitch on fellow workers. I'm going through a phase of bad experiences in the place I work right now. Naturally, I'm a quiet fella [ That does not mean I'm dull ] and I like to keep to myself. It is not that I do not like to make friends but I choose my friends carefully. Like someone said earlier on, friends can sometimes stab you in the back so that they will progress at a faster rate than you. I know a lot of things are being said about me by some of my co-workers but I just focus on my job. I observed that when a new guy joins the company I work for, a group of established ladies there will attempt to sleep with you sad sad They have this process of pulling you in and having their way with you. However, they do not intend to marry you or have a long relationship with you. I know this because they've been there for a long time and seem to be favoured by the Managers. When you refuse to yield to their advances, they start a campaign against you which could get you sacked sad sad

I'm not narrating a fairy tale here, mates. One of these ladies boldly walked to me and asked me '' Don't you want to f***k? '' I have survived their attacks by turning to God smiley smiley smiley The truth is many of those who engage in office politics are insecure people. They are stuck in their jobs and are not really happy. They have a crowd mentality and are surprised when you do not join their group. I'm not gay and I know the kind of women I relate with. I don't like office romance because it burns people up in the end. The peeps in my workplace are somewhat scared of me now but some of them respect me and seem to agree with my stand. They've gone to ascertain my status and came back defeated tongue tongue I come across a lot of people in the places I've worked who have multiple personalities. Watch out for these kind of people. They're dangerous and they can get you sacked by reporting you to the Managers of the company. God help us all. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 30, 2010
if you understand office politics well,you will be a better employee and a nice,why?. you will know how to use your enemies.that's an asset everybody needs
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Meldrick(m): 8:40am On Mar 30, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Actually this is true.
Men play the politics with caution, but women raise the roof. Don't know why it is so, but women are always 'leveraging' when it comes to work. Should there arise situations where they have a little 'something' going on with the ogas. They usually go berserk with power, and end up destroying themselves.

I've had two career episodes where female colleagues were 'getting it on' with the Big Oga. Those ladies went haywire! Stepping on people, left right and center. Destroyed a few careers along the way. Surprisingly, as the ogas bowed out, the ladies didn't last 6 months before they were booted out for one past indiscretion or the other. It always seems to play out that way.

That's always the point. When ladies start having affairs with their bosses, it is always at the detriment of the other colleagues and they go any length to deal with their fellow colleagues they have slight issues with but the truth is that they don't last because if those superiors leave for any reason they start shaking cos they are next. Most of them have nothing to offer(very dull) and depend on what they have to get what they want.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by meerkat(m): 9:10am On Mar 30, 2010
It is especially bad when you work with women and they are your superiors. I am one of the thousands of "banking reform"-December Tsunami victims. I was actually laid off and coerced to resign like many others. I didn't know some peoples' hand where in it until recently a former colleague told me how the superiors quarelled in the office and each revealed the part the other played in my supposed demise from the institution, but I thank God for in as much as I've gotten another job with higher pay, I've learnt my lessons as well.

When I joined the bank, we had only one lady in operations, the rest were guys. Banking was fun for us, we were our brothers' keepers, joking, working together, helping out, hanging out together, it was one big family in that branch until transfers and resignations hit us. With each guy leaving, comes in a replacement in skirt and eventually, hell was let loose. It became a beehive for gossips, nagging, bickering, idle yarns, prejudice, back stabbing and even tribal bigotery. All these while, I kept to myself. (A mistake I suppose?) grin Women! undecided I mean, "some women" grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by hayo(m): 9:30am On Mar 30, 2010
Human nature and undue competition.
U would realize that most of those office politicians also have bad relationships, bad marriages, etc. They can never be good friends. The end is always bad for them. I guess it has something to do with background and undue family competitions cos it happens in families too.
My advice if you are in such environments - know your job well, watch your back always, play by the rules. Never commit to anything by word of mouth, if possible confirm everything by email and avoid too closeness at work.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 30, 2010
When I joined the bank, we had only one lady in operations, the rest were guys. Banking was fun for us, we were our brothers' keepers, joking, working together, helping out, hanging out together, it was one big family [/b]in that branch until transfers and resignations hit us. With each guy leaving, comes in a replacement in skirt and eventually, [b]hell was let loose. It became a beehive for gossips, nagging, bickering, idle yarns, prejudice, back stabbing and even tribal bigotery. All these while, I kept to myself. (A mistake I suppose?)  Women!  I mean, "some women"    

story of my unit

ditto
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by bosebabbs: 10:11am On Mar 30, 2010
I have a boss who acts on the first reports he gets. He doesn't wait for any explanation and he never forgets wrongs that have been done to him. Iam learning how to avoid him and my colleagues but painfully these are the people you spend all the day with.

When my friend was telling me of his own ordeal in the office, I got more scared of the office environment but I wonder what any one gains when his/her colleague is sacked and thrown to the streets. Some people really have stony hearts, No conscience.
I have just learnt to mind my business in my office and make less comments because according to my friend'' The same people you laugh with in the office are the same people who testify falsely against you''.

dis is exactly the way my boss acts. its so funny.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by rapstar: 10:23am On Mar 30, 2010
in the office, everybody is trying to use his or her fellow co- worker to rise , we all know that , but snitchs  dont forget the law of karma
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by hayo(m): 10:26am On Mar 30, 2010
And I must add that smaller and low-paying organizations i.e one man businesses are the worst for this nonsense. Almost certain that the big boss is sleeping with some of your colleagues and they in turn feed him with all sorts of nonsense when they are in bed.
Best thing again is to say less and less even when the ladies come to you finger your brain!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by parislomo(f): 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
shakes head in disbelief at the allegations thrown at women!
Anyway, my two kobo input on this topic is: be the best you can be on your job. Be yourself. Wisdom is the principal thing cos it's profitable to direct. . . 
I've had my share of bad experiences too. No thanks to office politics! Kai 
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by AjanleKoko: 1:43pm On Mar 30, 2010
parislomo:

shakes head in disbelief at the allegations thrown at women!

I've been waiting for the first female to protest cool

This is not an indictment of women o. It is simply what people have observed, myself included.
Even where my wife works, there are all sorts of issues, 90% caused by women. My wife says it is because women are emotional.
It may be that many women feel they can eke an advantage by using their feminity. It's an increasing problem.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by parislomo(f): 2:23pm On Mar 30, 2010
sadly, I couldn't agree less (or more), with all the stories been told here.
I'm not even taking sides with women cos I'v got my bitter (or bad) experience, championed by co-females!
The *disbelief* up there is connotative.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by lekside44(m): 2:49pm On Mar 30, 2010
3 million on firewall?
well, we nigerians are good in breaking all these proxyls. see how boys are using cheats code on their phones etc
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Wumami: 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2010
@Poster
Saw this yesterday but just have the time to respond,

I always believed there was nothing like politics going on in my office until I asked a colleague who mentioned that he had heard about it before. Why didn't I hear or notice it? I believe in the following:
1. Your work will always speak for you.
2. We’ll all reap as we have sown (note that reaping has a multiplier effect of what is sown).
3. Promotion only comes from God.

I didn't because I was so much engrossed in striving to be the best I can be and meeting all work expectations (colleagues, subordinates, direct reports, superiors, contemporaries and customers). First I would emphasise the importance of putting God first in everything you do (including handling challenges, prioritising, interpretation of tasks and their deliveries within stipulated deadlines). While I understand some bosses can be unbearable (maybe I can), it is all about delivery. I tell my friends all the time that it is not about the activity but all about results.

If we all learn to forget about averages, i.e don’t strive to be an average performer but be the best thing that has happened to your team/ company (while at it, please be very humble and be open to corrections).

Ask yourself the following questions:
Is it possible to score 85% and your lecturer marks it down to 39%?
Is it possible to be results oriented and every other person except your boss is blind to this fact?
Would your boss who hates you mark you down when it is very obvious you are the best to everyone?

Fact: Oppressors are only able to victimise boarder line/ average performers,

If your answer to any of the above is yes, my recommendation is to keep up the good work, you will be found out soonest. This is just a way to distract you from your goal and I can assure you it is only temporary.

My conclusion:
While I understand that some offices can be terrible, whatever form of victimisation faced is caused by contributory factors from both the victim and the oppressor. While the oppressors’ is not controllable, the victims’ is controllable by the individual. As they say, there is no smoke without fire. Do your best and leave the rest to God.

Disclaimer: Please note that the views expressed are my personal opinion.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Meldrick(m): 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2010
@ wumami
Good one

hayo:

And I must add that smaller and low-paying organizations i.e one man businesses are the worst for this nonsense. Almost certain that the big boss is sleeping with some of your colleagues and they in turn feed him with all sorts of nonsense when they are in bed.
Best thing again is to say less and less even when the ladies come to you finger your brain!
True talk
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by bims87(f): 9:25pm On Mar 30, 2010
@Toppiano
Office politics is everywhere, be it private of public office. The rule is this.
Listen but never comment
Assume everyday is your last in that office.
Prepare for rainy days
Be good in what you do.
Be brave
And finally, take a big loan as soon as u are eligible. Even if u don't need it, keep it.
They will be afraid to sack you because they don't want to lose their money.

WTF gave u dat impression above? Dat was definitely in d past!!!
if u take a loan n u get sacked,the management ll deduct dre money from ur entitlement n give u d balance.!!!Shewwwwwwww
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by ssemire(f): 8:34am On Mar 31, 2010
office politics is about the worst thing you have to experience in naija. especially in the banking sector and especially in a bank that starts with "S". i did my service year there and was then made a staff. there were 3 of us that they took. they wanted to make just one of us a permanent staff and the other 2 contract staff. on wat basis? no one could tell. we did the exams and interview and i got atleast 15marks more than the others in each and yet they still wanted to make me contract staff. so why then did we have to do the same exams and interview?

then came the next thing, i was told i should go to abuja that that was where they had a vacancy for me. i said ok i will go. i wen there and next thing, the woman i was to work with there said she didnt want a permanent staff that i will be eating into her profit. as if that wasnt enough, she went about telling others in the office that i was a spy sent from the headoffice to come and reports their misbehaviour.

working with her was a horrifying experience. she kept calling the headoffice to report me to them and told them not to confirm despite signing my form for confirmation (i had 78% which qualified). they confirmed the other 2 and even gave one a promotion, but me i got nada. and then abck to my boss, she felt i was a threat to her and was always talking negative about me to her friends. one will think i am her age mate or summin ( i am 25, she is 46).

mehn the gist long and i don tire to dey type. experience bad o. my life is in God's hands. she was shocked when i gave her my resignation letter. i am no longer there and all my clients have closed their acounts. not one of them is left there and me, i am in UK now
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by candylips(m): 11:38am On Mar 31, 2010
^^^ sorrry o sad
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by gReenmAn(m): 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2010
mallorca:

that is the price most of you need to pay for having a job, for me am jobless so i encounter not such experience.

Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by autosales: 3:57pm On Mar 31, 2010
My boss is the best man in the world, Is an excellent boss is invariably, is competent and capable, positive and constructive, and under whom I am learning and growing at a rapid rate. I am successful, that is why, I can tell you of my boss that he had some certain points, character or qualities that distinguish him, that make him the best I have seen in the world.

You can verify the above confession, if you come to our office.

Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Theblessed(f): 7:50pm On Apr 01, 2010
[b]Hmmm, satan and his agents still operating! 

Please remember this, every employee in a place of work is a potential office gossip but there are some demonic individuals among us who, out of petty jealousies likes to stir up discord, troubles and divisions between people in any peaceful environment and such people you should avoid and with a manager that obviously enjoy gossips, I'm sorry! Office gossips/jealousies can stem from anything e.g the way you carry and assert yourself, your confidence, intelligence, education, attractiveness etc and for women, even the lipstick on your lips can create havoc for you in an office environment.  Don't ask me how? Gossip and jealousy are human traits, remember?

The fact that you are in spoken terms in your office does not mean she likes and cares about you.  After all, you're all there for the same reasons i.e. work, pay and promotion. Offices or places of work can be a nasty environment sometimes so always watch your back.  Don't trust anyone because, a-se lickers such as this don't usually have much going for them, they are sadists who enjoy creating disharmony in a tranquil environment so, don't make it easy for her as this is her trade mark - a habit that might not have started in your office and, only now you'd just found out.

So, put it in prayer as this might not be the end of her evil challenges against you in that office.  Remember, she has friends too and, they are yet to knock on your door. grin grin grin grin.  Therefore, keep your eyes wide open for more gossips, traps setting, ambushing, conspiracy, taunts, coercion and other forms of bullying because offices are breeding ground for these evils and you only have to experience it in full gear to understand what I'm talking about, trust me! The experience can be awful when all collude against you. Pray!!!
[/b]
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by mylove4him(f): 3:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
My experiences are numerous ranging from illiterate n uneducated colleagues to a new boss that does not know anything about the job.

My boss runs an autocratic government his word is law n I know he does not like me one bit. Why? I am bold, confident and intelligient. So he sees me as arrogant and disrespectful person. I don't give a damn about him, if he abuses me I talk back at him. He is so arrogant that I am prepard for the worst, highest is "U R FIRED". I told him one day that respect is reciprocal that he has to earn my respect. He goes out of his way to find fault in my work in which I tell him if he is not OK he should do it himself. He does not listen to anybody not even the suggestion of my immediate boss that has spent 25yrs n he had only spent 6 months. he sees his skin colour as superior to us. He knows me that I don't give a damn about him.

To my uneducated colleagues just because I am educated they don't want me to grow in the job. they would tell u that ur "pali" does not matter but experience. These ones m talking abt r men n am the only female in the dept. Do u know what keeps me going I don't give a damn, I can't date anybody n if u mistakenly make silly comment abt me i warn u to desist. If u don't, I blacklist u. This is the only way u can survive in our male dominated environment. I tell u men are the real gossips here.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by kumbibrown: 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2010
I had a supervisor who would always try and rubbish my work to my face but i found out through the grapevine that he would always recommend my work to people who were seeking assistance. He would always try and get involved in what i was doing making input that was clearly wrong but wanting me to take responsiblity for it. It got to a point where i would call his number and he would not pick it. The only time he would pick my call is when he needed help with something.

Can ne1 explain this to me?
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by stupor(m): 12:53pm On Apr 04, 2010
!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by stupor(m): 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2010
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2010
Female bosses are horrible, they always have a chip on their shoulder, always have something stupid to prove. My current boss is a b.i.tch from the lowest rung of hell. angry
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by senijolla: 11:04am On Apr 14, 2010
May God be with the initiator and the contributors.You all have been wonderful, @ ziddy, my brother,its not thier fault,it is the fault of the person deceiving them with the saying that ( whatever a man can do a woman can do better), just try and keep it cool as much as you can and have a good time @ work.God bless us all,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Needs Guide On How To Lodge A Formal Complaint / How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss / Is Animal Production A Good Course To Study In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.