Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4444363 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GeneralJ(m): 12:19am On Apr 10, 2013
andrewza:

Our maindat was to train the ar of CAR and intergrastion of the rebel forcese.

We trained them but you can lead a donky to water but not make it drink. Though those we did train jumped ship and joinded the rebels

Intergrasion never started since there was never enough peace.

The seconded force that was sent in jan this year had the mandate for the protecstion of SANDF asserts and this they completed. And no point did rebels breach the base and they suferd heavy losses. One rebel captian siad he alone lost half of his 500 strong group.

Lowest estermits put rebel losses at 400 highest at 600 most say 500. Sa lost 13 dead and there is phiscaly no way to hide a death in the SANDF it could not even be done in the SADF could get it right. And 27 wounded of those less than 10 are still in hospital. Many where discharged with in a day.

There where misstakes in the CAR disater but they where not at a milltary level but a politcal level.

If they completed it then how come seleka boiz are riding around town like a boss in your trucks lol, they can't even protect ordinary pickup trucks haha

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 10, 2013
@ Sitwell
Now, colour is "just pigment" to you? I thought the reason why we are talking about this was your/other posters' attempt to discredit South Africa's products because of the "white connection". Anyway, every other country in Africa has what Nigeria has. Only difference being that Nigeria has the biggest population in Africa. The diversity we are talking about here is the sort of diversity that allows you to attract and retain global talent. Nigeria's "diversity" is not good enough to do that, primarily because of the insistence on blackness; and therefore, the exclusion of people from other parts of the world

When has diversity become skin color thing? I am a little bit disturbed about how you view diversity, which from an explanatory definition vantage it is the cultural differences that exist in any society. And, Nigeria is by far one of the most culturally diverse nations of the world. They are seen in the dressing codes, languages,people, traditions,etc of Nigeria on daily basis. If we are to compare Nigeria to SA in this regard there are much to be demanding on the side of the later. Indeed, your very idea of saying Nigeria is not diverse enough is unacceptable and completely absurd.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 2:30am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: @ Sitwell

When has diversity become skin color thing? I am a little bit disturbed about how you view diversity, which from an explanatory definition vantage it is the cultural differences that exist in any society. And, Nigeria is by far one of the most culturally diverse nations of the world. They are seen in the dressing codes, languages,people, traditions,etc of Nigeria on daily basis. If we are to compare Nigeria to SA in this regard there are much to be demanding on the side of the later. Indeed, your very idea of saying Nigeria is not diverse enough is unacceptable and completely absurd.

You have not read all of my posts. To avoid having to repeat myself, I suggest that you go read my posts; understand my argument; and then come come and tell me where I am wrong.

You currently do not get even half my argument. And remember, everything that you say about diversity should ultimately lead to technological advancement - not just pretty and colourful clothes by people largely originating in the same corner of the continent - West Africa.

So, please have another look and then we can chat. You aren't quite ready at the moment, judging by your arguing a point that has already been addressed.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 2:50am On Apr 10, 2013
To emphasise my point and as a response to the "Nigeria is diverse argument", take this link, for example

----> http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/02/daily-chart-9

The link represents linguistic diversity based on how likely it is that people meeting will speak different indigenous languages in a country. South Africa lists 24 languages. Nigeria lists 500+ languages. Yet, South Africa is still ranked as being more linguistically diverse than Nigeria.

Why? Well because South Africa's different language speakers venture more outside of their culture and indigenous languages. They are more likely to meet and interact with people from other cultures.

Nigerians do not do that as much as South Africans do. Therefore, even though South Africa has less languages than Nigeria does, we score higher on linguistic diversity. We are far more cosmopolitan and integrated into each other's worlds.

For a country with only 24 languages to beat a country with 500+ languages shows you how fragmented the different people in the 500+ country are. In fact South Africa is the only top 5 country with less than 100 languages.

Now, this is only linguistic diversity. Add onto that other factors, and we would score even higher. Nigeria would score even lower.

Numbers don't lie. Read it. It's there in black and white.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:56am On Apr 10, 2013
sithwell:

You have not read all of my posts. To avoid having to repeat myself, I suggest that you go read my posts; understand my argument; and then come come and tell me where I am wrong.

You currently do not get even half my argument. And remember, everything that you say about diversity should ultimately lead to technological advancement - not just pretty and colourful clothes by people largely originating in the same corner of the continent - West Africa.

So, please have another look and then we can chat. You aren't quite ready at the moment, judging by your arguing a point that has already been addressed.
But, I quoted the part I responded to. That is what I am all about in your argument. I wish we should understand ourselves better here. At least, it doesn't require reading through all your argument to comprehend the way you view Nigerian society as not diverse enough. I am going to say everything shouldn't otherwise leads to technological advancement but to creates a heterogeneous society that represents different background of those who wholeheartedly accept that nation as theirs. We are begging the question by intentionally aiming at technological advancement through diversity. Yes, technological advancement is arguably a recipe of a modern society, in the contemporary dispensation so called "The New Generation".

Mind you, that particular area I quoted is not actually about technology but about people. So, I am going to say the whole argument is likely not what I am talking about but to quickly express something about the generality of diversity!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 3:02am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: But, I quoted the part I responded to. That is what I am all about in your argument. I wish we should understand ourselves better here. At least, it doesn't require reading through all your argument to comprehend the way you view Nigerian society as not diverse enough. I am going to say everything shouldn't otherwise leads to technological advancement but to creates a heterogeneous society that represents different background of those who wholeheartedly accept that nation as theirs. We are begging the question by intentionally aiming at technological advancement through diversity. Yes, technological advancement is arguably a recipe of a modern society, in the contemporary dispensation so called "The New Generation".

Mind you, that particular area I quoted is not actually about technology but about people. So, I am going to say the whole argument is likely not what I am talking about but to quickly express something about the generality of diversity!

If you're going to argue something so obvious, argue against the link I just posted. Numbers don't lie.

I will have to do some work now, but I will catch you tomorrow.

Gnight.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:17am On Apr 10, 2013
sithwell: To emphasise my point and as a response to the "Nigeria is diverse argument", take this link, for example

----> http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/02/daily-chart-9

The link represents linguistic diversity based on how likely it is that people meeting will speak different indigenous languages in a country. South Africa lists 24 languages. Nigeria lists 500+ languages. Yet, South Africa is still ranked as being more linguistically diverse than Nigeria.

Why? Well because South Africa's different language speakers venture more outside of their culture and indigenous languages. They are more likely to meet and interact with people from other cultures.

Nigerians do not do that as much as South Africans do. Therefore, even though South Africa has less languages than Nigeria does, we score higher on linguistic diversity. We are far more cosmopolitan and integrated into each other's worlds.

For a country with only 24 languages to beat a country with 500+ languages shows you how fragmented the different people in the 500+ country are.

Now, this is only linguistic diversity. Add onto that other factors, and we would score even higher. Nigeria would score even lower.

Numbers don't lie. Read it. It's there in black and white.
Seriously, you failed to see what diversity was all about from this your response. Using language diversity to explain this very idea as to the link you posted nullifies what I would have accepted to be self-explanatory post, because, the chart only explains why SA is more higher than Nigeria on that chart for the simple reason of Greenberg's diversity index(which is disputable because it is based on location). The correct information is that Nigeria is more linguistically diverse than SA any day through collated date - link 1 HERE and link 2 HERE. However, I don't quite agree in the real sense one would accept the Greenberg's diversity index(as posted in The Economist) to based language diversity on location that is a clear indication of what you are trying to insinuate with Nigeria is not diverse enough rhetoric.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:18am On Apr 10, 2013
sithwell:

If you're going to argue something so obvious, argue against the link I just posted. Numbers don't lie.

I will have to do some work now, but I will catch you tomorrow.

Gnight.
Okay, pal! Have a good evening.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 3:29am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: Seriously, you failed to see what diversity was all about from this your response. Using language diversity to explain this very idea as to the link you posted nullifies what I would have accepted to be self-explanatory post, because, the chart only explains why SA is more higher than Nigeria on that chart for the simple reason of Greenberg's diversity index(which is disputable because it is based on location). The correct information is that Nigeria is more linguistically diverse than SA any day through collated date - link 1 HERE and link 2 HERE. However, I don't quite agree in the real sense one would accept the Greenberg's diversity index(as posted in The Economist) to based language diversity on location that is a clear indication of what you are trying to insinuate with Nigeria is not diverse enough rhetoric.

1. Very quickly, you can't dispute a study by using a wiki link, so - fail! I won't read that. We don't do wiki on this forum.

2. The study I linked you to is not based on location. It's based on behaviour. Fail!

3. The second link you posted lists the NUMBER of languages spoken. It doesn't speak to my point, which is integration and being cosmopolitan - in deed and in thought. Once again - fail !

You don't get my argument; and you don't get your own argument, All4Naija.

I should go. Perhaps tomorrow, you would have slept over it.

Night, night.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 3:32am On Apr 10, 2013
GeneralJ:

If they completed it then how come seleka boiz are riding around town like a boss in your trucks lol, they can't even protect ordinary pickup trucks haha

I have anserwed that qustion before. SA gave the CAR armt 1 billion rand worth of milltary aide. Including donated vechikes
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:04am On Apr 10, 2013
sithwell:

1. Very quickly, you can't dispute a study by using a wiki link, so - fail! I won't read that. We don't do wiki on this forum.

2. The study I linked you to is not based on location. It's based on behaviour. Fail!

3. The second link you posted lists the NUMBER of languages spoken. It doesn't speak to my point, which is integration and being cosmopolitan - in deed and in thought. Once again - fail !

You don't get my argument; and you don't get your own argument, All4Naija.

I should go. Perhaps tomorrow, you would have slept over it.

Night, night.
1. Yet you can dispute an argument based on a link from 'The Economist'. That nullifies your first point.Failure!

2. It is based on location not behavior - "which scores countries on the probability that two citizens will share a mother tongue". You failed!

3.The second link is not about language NUMBER(size)alone but about STATUS,FAMILY of a country. I never said it speaks about your point either but to clarify you about the generality of diversity. So you failed that!

I hope to get your argument besides what I quoted earlier and responded to, sithwell.

Take good care of yourself. Morrow!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:06am On Apr 10, 2013
andrewza:

I have anserwed that qustion before. SA gave the CAR armt 1 billion rand worth of milltary aide. Including donated vechikes
South Africa did that to protect their interest in that country. To get the right to CAR economy and possibly their natural resources!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MajorJ(m): 4:18am On Apr 10, 2013
andrewza:

Donated vehicles with South African flags on them??
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 4:38am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija:
1. Yet you can dispute an argument based on a link from 'The Economist'. That nullifies your first point.Failure!

2. It is based on location not behavior - "which scores countries on the probability that two citizens will share a mother tongue". You failed!

3.The second link is not about language NUMBER(size)alone but about STATUS,FAMILY of a country. I never said it speaks about your point either but to clarify you about the generality of diversity. So you failed that!

I hope to get your argument besides what I quoted earlier and responded to, sithwell.

Take good care of yourself. Morrow!

I'm still here tongue cause I know you!

Listen wena - here's a short lesson, seeing as you're struggling as usual tongue

A representative sample is taken. Ok? Understand that bit? And THEN based on the sample, behaviour is assessed. Speaking a mother tongue is a behaviour. It's not a location issue. This is then adjusted against the size of the population in the country. Do you get that? It's a behavioral enquiry. "Meet", "Speak" = behavior, adjusted against population size. It's got nothing to do with location. It's purely a numbers game assessing behaviour and interaction between cultures.

Ok - lesson over. Oh, by the way - FAIL !!!!

Secondly, even if you were correct that Nigeria is more linguistically diverse than SA, there is only a .2 point difference between the countries. Now, given that Nigeria has 500+ languages and SA, 24; SA is far more culturally integrated. We should be bottom of the pile, given that we have less that 50 languages. Yet, we are right up there with big-population countries. No amount of denial can blind you to that. We are unmatched in Africa. We are cosmopolitan with a capital letter "C".

And this is the point that you will find throughout my posts. Which point you still don't get.

Even if this point were also to prove wrong, SA still has far more of the sort of diversity that attracts global talent. Afterall, you and I are only talking about linguistic diversity. Only a fraction of the available indicators. Ultimately, my point is about the sort of diversity that means that the intensity of culture shock is less in SA than it is in Nigeria. And that sort of diversity incorporates race, history, origin and culture. Speaking a thousand tribal languages means nothing really.

Regarding being worldly, you might as well speak one language. You don't have useful diversity.

Having a bed of differently coloured roses is unlike having a bed of roses, tulips and ferns. Nigeria is the former. SA is the latter. And THAT is the absolute point.

Now, I'm really going.

This is really goodnight. :-)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:19am On Apr 10, 2013
MajorJ:

Donated vehicles with South African flags on them??

There was no SA flag captured. I have not seen any picture of that.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:20am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: South Africa did that to protect their interest in that country. To get the right to CAR economy and possibly their natural resources!

And your point is what?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 10, 2013
sithwell:

I'm still here tongue cause I know you!

Listen wena - here's a short lesson, seeing as you're struggling as usual tongue

A representative sample is taken. Ok? Understand that bit? And THEN based on the sample, behaviour is assessed. Speaking a mother tongue is a behaviour. It's not a location issue. This is then adjusted against the size of the population in the country. Do you get that? It's a behavioral enquiry. "Meet", "Speak" = behavior, adjusted against population size. It's got nothing to do with location. It's purely a numbers game assessing behaviour and interaction between cultures.

Ok - lesson over. Oh, by the way - FAIL !!!!

Secondly, even if you were correct that Nigeria is more linguistically diverse than SA, there is only a .2 point difference between the countries. Now, given that Nigeria has 500+ languages and SA, 24; SA is far more culturally integrated. We should be bottom of the pile, given that we have less that 50 languages. Yet, we are right up there with big-population countries. No amount of denial can blind you to that. We are unmatched in Africa. We are cosmopolitan with a capital letter "C".

And this is the point that you will find throughout my posts. Which point you still don't get.

Even if this point were also to prove wrong, SA still has far more of the sort of diversity that attracts global talent. Afterall, you and I are only talking about linguistic diversity. Only a fraction of the available indicators. Ultimately, my point is about the sort of diversity that means that the incidence of cultural shock is less in SA than it is in Nigeria. And that sort of diversity incorporates race, history, origin and culture. Speaking a thousand tribal languages means nothing really.

Regarding being worldly, you might as well speak one language. You don't have useful diversity.

Having a bed of differently coloured roses is unlike having a bed of roses, tulips and ferns. Nigeria is the former. SA is the latter. And THAT is the absolute point.

Now, I'm really going.

This is really goodnight. :-)
cheesy I know you will come with another excuses to support your claim.

Firstly, the probability of two people sharing a mother tongue is based on their location than their behavior(mother tongue, which is not the object but the subject of this matter). That the two people are likely to have the mother tongue has to do with the region they are located (in the case of SA you made mentioned of)than the way they conduct themselves.

Okay. Lesson accessed. You failed and keep pointing to the wrong thing in the matter of that Greenberg's diversity index.

Secondly,it is correct Nigeria in absolute capacity is more linguistically diverse than SA. Even Pauper New Guinea is at the very top though with little population with over 850 languages yet less integrated. That alone nullifies your point using less-language and well- integrated options to support your biased claims. I can only relate with the fact that what put SA on top(cannot top Nigeria on a factual ground) is racial shades of color in that society and that doesn't point out all there is about diversity as against location(which scores countries on the probability that two citizens will share a mother tongue - Greenberg's diversity index).

What attracts global talents in SA than the other African countries is not actually about diversity but about its development, mainly infrastructural development. The idea there is cultural diversity in SA than Nigeria in this your claim, as I am surprised to learn here, is not a yard stick to measure cultural diversity, which if Nigeria and SA are given the privileges to showcase their cultural diversity Nigeria will obviously be on the lead. You don't have to think there are no Europeans, Indians, Chinese,colored,etc people in Nigeria but in a very small numbers. The cultural nuances of Nigeria are as many as the numbers of ethnic languages. You are being mislead by that The Economist link to think the other way round.

The truth is that Nigeria have identity that is diverse enough to put it in the situation it find itself today. That diversity you can spot any where they are in the world. So, it is clear South Africa is really worldly in a sense, where you might be speaking a single language and we all know that to be far from being diversity as you laid claim to with less-language assertion.

That is where you missed it, bed of roses, tulips and ferns are still flowers which is reflected in the racial color of your society yet you leave out the diversity that comes with the plethora of cultural background of colorful roses, tulips, ferns, the perfume of lavenders, the broad leave of plantains, palms,etc as in the case of Nigeria. In other words, Nigeria can as well testify to all the different diversities(in small population - the reason why they are not so pronounced) in your society with many more from the indigenous people as well. That is, Nigeria have SA diversity as well as much more indigenous people's differences.

Okay. See you soon.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:53am On Apr 10, 2013
andrewza:

And your point is what?
My point is that it is based on selfish aim to do that why claiming to be helping to find solutions to the problems in that region. In the real sense, SA is not a saint as it is trying to claim.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 6:08am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: My point is that it is based on selfish aim to do that why claiming to be helping to find solutions to the problems in that region. In the real sense, SA is not a saint as it is trying to claim.

Lol. Every one dose somthing for personal gain.

Nigeria is in malili because it becam a BH save haven
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 10, 2013
andrewza:

Lol. Every one dose somthing for personal gain.

Nigeria is in malili because it becam a BH save haven
In the real sense Nigerian military being in Mali is not for selfish interest, unlike SA foraging for resources and staging economic imperialism for unknown reasons yet covered them up as though finding solutions to the problems in the region.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 6:30am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: In the real sense Nigerian military being in Mali is not for selfish interest, unlike SA foraging for resources and staging economic imperialism for unknown reasons yet covered them up as though finding solutions to the problems in the region.

Keep telling your self that.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: My point is that it is based on selfish aim to do that why claiming to be helping to find solutions to the problems in that region. In the real sense, SA is not a saint as it is trying to claim.

So other countries who has troops in CAR is, why don't anyone say anything about the French and Chad support for rebels. France was even the headquarters of these rebels. People keep quite when others do things to protect national and neocolonial interests, but hey the French media has already brainwashed allot of you fools here.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:51am On Apr 10, 2013
Even cameroon had just under 200 solders in CAR. But they ran away instead of doing there job that was mandated to them.

There are 3 resones for that

Cameroon sent cowards not solders
Cameroon supported the rebels and thus the use of child solders
Cameroon was told by either chad or france so there leader ship has no spine.

I don't see nigerians(I under stand cameroonpride) mentioning this.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:54am On Apr 10, 2013
DictatorZAR:

So other countries who has troops in CAR is, why don't anyone say anything about the French and Chad support for rebels. France was even the headquarters of these rebels. People keep quite when others do things to protect national and neocolonial interests, but hey the French media has already brainwashed allot of you fools here.

I have siad it before and I will say it again. Every one out of SADC is a sell out. Even botswana tried that but was informend it would not be a good idea.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 10, 2013
all4naija: In the real sense Nigerian military being in Mali is not for selfish interest, unlike SA foraging for resources and staging economic imperialism for unknown reasons yet covered them up as though finding solutions to the problems in the region.

Stop talking nonsense till to date no one has shown proof of that. SA soldiers are deployed all over the continent and even went into Burundi without a UN or AU mandate and look at where that country is today we trained there soldiers and today Burundi has deployed there soldiers to Somalia under a AU mandate.

By the way your soldiers have not even covered themselves in glory and has been accused of numerous rap*e and indiscriminate killings from Sierra Leone to even Liberia. Military deployments the world over has a agenda no one can dispute that fact.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 10, 2013
DictatorZAR: Now when it comes to US-military ambitions on the continent South Africa and its Southern African counterparts are the main reason USAFRRICOM has failed to reach every corner of Africa.

Here's an overview on SANDF's stance on AFRICOM which also led to SA goverment officials threatening Botswana for there cozy US-military relations.grin

General Carter Ham head of US-AFRICOM command recently told Mail&Guardian on there relations with Africa and especially SA. I quote

"We don't to go where we are not wanted. We recognize sovereignty. We've got no intention of pushing ourselves into a place where we not wanted."

Last year former ANC deputy secretary general Thandi Modise, was quoted having told Botswana National Front that there are some leaders within SADC who "want to host people who want to hurt us. They. Think as long as they can get funding from these Western People they are fine. But I can tell you that we not happy at all."

AFRICOM appears to have a good relationship with West African countries, with its largest force around 2000 troops in Djibouti, where Ham said they are helping to strengthen East African Forces.

The relationship with SADC is however yet to blossom into what AFRICOM wishes to have.

As for AFRICOM's relationship with South Africa, Ham believes there is an opportunity to an improvement.

"We are not always going to agree, we are two bog countries, but that's okay," he said.
http://m.mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2013-03-21-africom-struggling-to-win-south-africas-blessing

Now SA has refused to allow imperialist nations access to within 1000km to its borders Nigeria has allowed Niger to do as they please. No if only the so called Giants can live up to there socalled military states as west africa's big brother.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:43am On Apr 10, 2013
This article was written by a Nigerian Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai

In February 2010, a Nigerian military patrol of a company strength was intercepted by a rebel group and disarmed completely with their Armour Personnel Carriers (APCs) seized without any resistance. In January 2012, another Nigerian patrol was waylaid by a small rebel group and disarmed. Apart from taking their weapons, the commander was killed. From these failures, the humanitarian community in Darfur and International NGOs prefer being by other national troops; the Sierra Leonean forces that were trained in 1990s by the Nigerian Army are now more valued than our troops!

The February 2012 visit of the American Envoy to Sudan, Ambassador Smith to our Minister of Defence was principally to do with the poor performance of Nigerian troops in Darfur. What are the reasons for the decay of our peacekeeping capacity? Poor equipment, corruption, poor personnel selection and training, inadequate feeding and welfare of officers and men seem to be the reasons - symptomatic of the general malaise in governance in Nigeria under Jonathan.

Our equipment holdings are disgraceful and totally unacceptable; every country earns money from its Contingent Own Equipment (COE) - from uniforms, boots, face masks, compass, rifle, mortar, RPGs, APCs, power generating sets, kitchen equipment and even furniture. They are inspected every month and payments made, but our military and police contingents cannot meet up to 20 per cent of the COE required by the UN. Out of over 45 APCs for four battalions of 800 troops, less than seven are serviceable.

Some of the problems of the APCs are as basic as batteries and tires. The equipment available to our troops is enough to demoralise them when compared to other countries. The Nigerian government is supposed to earn $6,000 monthly for each APC. By contrast, each Rwandese battalion can boast of over 50 vehicles. Rocket Propel Grenades (RPGs) is today the weapon of deterrence to wade off ambushes, but it is rare to find any with Nigerian troops.

The process of selecting troops to peace missions is also flawed. Some battalions are loaded with clerks, cooks, batmen and orderlies who can barely handle a weapon, but are well-connected! It is not unusual for legislators, retired military officers and traditional rulers to influence the selection process, so competence and capacity get compromised. Some of these ill trained soldiers simple take to their heels when under attack. The end result is the high casualty rates of our officers and men. Similarly, poor feeding also affects the performance of our troops.

The UN pays for the feeding of the troops but in our case, the money is provided to the home government to ensure the inclusion of local content. What is ultimately provided by the MOD/Presidency contractors never meets the expected international standards. The Rwandese government allows the UN to directly feed their troops and so four Rwandese soldiers share one whole chicken during a meal. A Nigerian soldier is not likely to see a piece of chicken throughout his or her six months tour of duty in Darfur.

How is the money paid upfront by the UN for our participation in peacekeeping spent? Other countries use the funds to sustain their military and add value to their national economies; in Nigeria, such funds and even the income tax deductions from the earnings of military officers are not remitted to the treasury but supposedly re-channelled into the armed forces - with no accountability! The monies earned from peacekeeping are not recognised as revenues, the procurements not subject to rigorous 'due process' scrutiny on spurious security grounds and therefore often looted by the Ministry of Defence and the Presidency.

Many observers opined that the policy changes introduced by two former Chiefs of Staff, Agwai and Azazi to transform the army into an American-type institution destroyed the British military tradition of valour, honour and integrity. These two army chiefs between 2003-2006 introduced the policy of achieving C+ at the staff college as the main criterion to earn promotion and command appointments. This was abused and mediocre officers were able to buy their way and move up to command positions.

The poor performance of our troops today is a direct consequence of deficits in command capability. Currently, over 90 per cent of those who placed Nigeria on the world map with their extraordinary feats in Liberia and Sierra Leone are out of service due mainly to the C+ policy. It is time to correct these errors, equip our armed forces better and restore our nation's reputation in international peacekeeping. It is not too much to ask of a real commander-in-chief.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:45am On Apr 10, 2013
Another article from Nigeria

Up to 60 heavily armed men ambushed a patrol of U.N./African Union peacekeepers in Darfur, in a new attack on international forces in Sudan's strife-torn west, the U.N. said on Friday.

The raiders, wearing uniforms and armed with AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns, managed to take weapons from the Nigerian troops from the joint U.N./African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), an official added.

It was at least the fifth serious confrontation between armed groups and UNAMID troops since they took over from a beleaguered African Union force at the beginning of the year.

The attack happened close to the capital of West Darfur El Geneina on Wednesday -- the same day another 45 Nigerian peacekeepers were killed in a road accident in northern Nigeria, after returning from a tour of duty in Darfur.

UNAMID spokesman Noureddine Mezni said the force had decided not to release details immediately after the assault as they were still trying to identify the attackers.

"We have bandits and we have armed groups and we have the (rebel) factions. With our very limited number of troops, it is not an easy job," Mezni told Reuters.

"We are a peacekeeping organisation but there is no peace on the ground to keep. We are appealing for the cooperation of all sides in this conflict. We are here to help."

Mezni said it was unclear how the attackers had taken the UNAMID light weapons. "But the peacekeepers were outnumbered ... No shots were fired and no one was injured."

The U.N. has warned the peacekeeping force remains seriously undermanned -- with only 9,000 out of a promised 26,000-strong force on the ground -- and poorly equipped. The force was sent to keep the peace in a remote region about the size of France.

Law and order has collapsed in Darfur where international experts say five years of conflict has killed 200,000 and driven 2.5 million from their homes. Khartoum puts the death count at 10,000 and accuses the western media of exaggerating the conflict.

Nigeria, the country that has contributed the most soldiers to the current force, has borne the brunt of some of the worst violence against peacekeepers in the region.

At least 12 soldiers were killed after armed raiders, thought to belong to a splinter rebel faction, attacked a Nigerian-manned base in the eastern Darfur town of Haskanita in September.

UNAMID is in the process of erecting a memorial stone to around 60 international peacekeepers killed since they first arrived in Darfur on 2004. UNAMID troops held a minute's silence this week in memory of the 45 Nigerians killed in the road crash.

Aid workers running the world's largest humanitarian operation in Darfur have warned that deteriorating security is having a serious impact on their work.

The U.N.'s World Food Programme said it was cutting humanitarian deliveries by half and forced a sharp cut in rations for aid-dependent Darfuris from May after a surge of bandit attacks on its convoys.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:50am On Apr 10, 2013
THE PROFESSIONAL NIGERIAN FORCE:

Nigerian soldiers serving in the United Nations African Union Hybrid Missions in Dafur, Sudan have threatened to go on rampage if they are not paid their allowances and airlifted back to Nigeria on or before July 3, 2012.

Radio France International Hausa Service report monitored last night in Abuja said the soldiers handed the Federal Government an eight-day ultimatum to meet their demands or they “create a scenario in Sudan which will deter the ongoing peace process in Darfur.” The soldiers, whose duty tour expired on May 26 after the mandatory six months, are from battalions NIBATTS 30, 31, 32 and 33 deployed in November 26, 2011 and January 12, 2012.

Director Army Public Relations Brig. Gen. Mobolaji Koleoso who spoke to Radio France on the matter yesterday,however, said he did not believe that any soldier in his right senses would contemplate such action. “I do not believe that any of my soldiers in his right senses will say that he will disrupt the peace in Darfur. If they are not airlifted, they know why, and if their airlifting is delayed, they know why, but airlifting operations will resume soon. I know they will soon be returned home,” he said.

A senior officer at the army headquarters who would not want to be named told Daily Trust reporter last night that the airlifting of the soldiers were affected by the recent Dana plane crash. “The troop’s transportation exercise begun three weeks ago through special arrangement but it was stalled by the recent Dana plane crash. The airlift exercise is continuous and the military authorities are making arrangement to see that all the soldiers in Darfur are transported back home and others replace them,” he said. He doubted reports indicating that the soldiers will mutiny pointing out that “they know the implication of such action.” “They can be court martialed just like what happened to some soldiers in Akure few years ago, when they return to Nigeria. That action is illegal.”

Our reporter sighted a UN plane, a McDonnell aircraft, at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Saturday, 23rd June, and on inquiry, a source at the airport said it made a technical landing to refuel. The source, however, said the UN plane with capacity to carry 143 people had landed in Abuja on Friday, 22nd June, with troops and also took some to Sudan.

A petition posted sent to Pointblanknews.com by ‘Concerned Soldiers in Darfur’, accessed by Daily Trust yesterday accused military hierarchy of corruption and negligence. They noted with anger that after the completion of the stipulated six months duty tour, the military hierarchy extended their duty tour with no explanation and provision for their families back home.

The petition reads in part: “Nigeria which was an active participant in the UN peace keeping operations, widely commended for our previous performance of restoring peace in Sierra Leone and Liberia, but presently we lost our respect especially in United Nations African Union Hybrid Missions in Darfur due to ill-equipment and corruption existing among top Nigerian who is who in peace support operation. “The situation of our peacekeepers is pitiable as if we don’t belong to any country. Nobody seems to listen to us or the plight of our family back home. Even though it is against the ethics of military to go to press, we are pushed to the wall, because nobody to listens our cry apart from the media.

“As am writing now Nigerian troops are stranded in Nyala, sector south headquarters of the mission in Darfur, Sudan, after the expiration of their 6 months Tour of Duty – we have four Nigerian Battalions (NIBATTS 30, 31, 32 and 33) on duty in Darfur, Sudan, deployed from 26 November, 2011 – 2 January, 2012.

“After successful completion of their mission, they are now stranded with no specific date for rotation. Our expected period of rotation to Nigeria is 26 May – 3 July, 2012 for the four battalions; up till the time of this report, we have not been rotated. This situation is very depressing and is dangerously affecting us and our loved ones back home. “NIBATT 31 was supposed to be rotated back to Nigeria between 31 May – 7 June, 2012. Out of the 800 troops that made up the battalion, only 115 were airlifted to Nigeria on 31 May; the remaining troops are still stranded in Sudan. They have added extra weeks to their official date of departure as well as NIBATT 30 which was supposed to be rotated back home on 26 May.

“This situation is due to either negligence on the part of the Nigerian government or the Army in taking up their responsibilities abroad with respect to their men and women on tour of duty. And the worse nobody explain to us what is happening as if we are not humans, as if we dont have anyone that cares for us, as if we dont have the right to know what affects us. Our family
are left helpless because we gave them only six months cheques, now we are more than six months here, our houses are crying for money to buy food, fuel generators, pay our children school fees. Last month,two soldiers fainted and gave up the ghost due to negligence, depression and uncertainty about our condition.

Is our country that poor that it cannot charter a commercial flight to bring us back home or are we not needed back home? “As I write, Nigerian Army Peace Keeping Center (NAPKC) in Jaji is full of troops of the four Battalions that underwent training to rotate the stranded 4 Battalions here in Sudan.Also the FOB in Abuja where troops normally spend the night before they are airlifted to Sudan is filled up with troops awaiting airlift to Sudan.

Sudan as we all know is a very hostile and a desert country with hash weather that makes living very unbearable. It is unwise for Nigeria to leave us to stay extra days, weeks or months in Sudan after the expiration of our tour of duty.

“Other contingents like Thailand, Sierra Leone, Bangladesh, Nepal, Egypt and South Africa have all rotated their troops with chartered planes with passenger seats of about 220. Nigerian Army is waiting for United Nations to organize their rotation for them with a plane carrying only 115 passengers, making us to rotate a battalion seven (7) times x 4.

“I appeal to Nigerians to use their good offices in telling Mr. President, Senate President, Minister of Defence, Chief of Defence Staff and Chief of Army Staff as a matter of urgency to bring planes (bigger ones) to rotate the four Battalions in Sudan not later than 3 July or else we will create a scenario in Sudan which will deter the ongoing peace process in Darfur.”
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:54am On Apr 10, 2013
THE COST OF NIGERIAN PEACE KEEPING OPERATIONS

In London, Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo told the BBC his country was ready to send peacekeepers to Liberia, but that Nigeria lacked the means to finance a peacekeeping operation alone. "It is our problem, but it is not our problem alone," he said. "It is in fact Africa's problem and it is a world problem...(the troops) are not there because we haven't got the capacity to do all that is necessary, and we made that clear." Obasanjo said twelve years of peacekeeping efforts in Liberia and Sierra Leone had cost his country $12 billion and more than 1,000 Nigerian lives. A peacekeeping force in Liberia is expected to cost over $100 million, and the Obasanjo said that so far no country had stepped forward with the necessary funds. "What we are saying is give us adequate material and logistic support and we will do the job," he said. "We have two battalions of over 1,500 ready to go in. We cannot do that alone."
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 10:04am On Apr 10, 2013
South African troops should feel good about their performance which was no disgrace at all....atleast they gave a good account of themselves than be disarmed.

Tragedy has affected all of the best militaries of the world but however is not how many times one falls but how many times you stand up and be counted.

United States suffered humiliating defeat in Vietnam
Soviet Union (Russian) experianced the same fate in Afghanistan.
Guatemala Special Forces suffered 12 against LRA IN DR Congo.
Indian forces disarmed and held hostage by rebels in Sierra Leone.
Nigerian forces humiliated in Darfur.
British Commandos captured by rebels in Sierra Leone.
19 US Rangers killed in Mogadishu.
More than 500 Russians special forces killed by Chenchen rebels in Grozny.

Countless countries have experianced such set backs and SANDF IS NOT THE FIRST AND NOT THE LAST.....BUT SHOULD BE PROUD TO FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT WHICH NIGERIANS ENVY

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 10:14am On Apr 10, 2013
Thiza: South African troops should feel good about their performance which was no disgrace at all....atleast they gave a good account of themselves than be disarmed.

Tragedy has affected all of the best militaries of the world but however is not how many times one falls but how many times you stand up and be counted.

United States suffered humiliating defeat in Vietnam
Soviet Union (Russian) experianced the same fate in Afghanistan.
Guatemala Special Forces suffered 12 against LRA IN DR Congo.
Indian forces disarmed and held hostage by rebels in Sierra Leone.
Nigerian forces humiliated in Darfur.
British Commandos captured by rebels in Sierra Leone.
19 US Rangers killed in Mogadishu.
More than 500 Russians special forces killed by Chenchen rebels in Grozny.

Countless countries have experianced such set backs and SANDF IS NOT THE FIRST AND NOT THE LAST.....BUT SHOULD BE PROUD TO FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT WHICH NIGERIANS ENVY

Some of the finest display of milltay skill has come from defeats or great losses. Delive wood in WW1 france was such a battel where under 10% of the SA forces suvervid but still held there ground. There was even a last radio messeg from one company that basicaly siad.(We out of ammo enemy preparing for a attack, will hold to the last.)

The SA forcese in CAR proofed that SA forces will not go down with out a fight.

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.