Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4443879 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:34pm On May 29, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:51pm On May 29, 2013

Henry120: NAIROBI  (AFP) – Aware that they have failed to get a fully-fledged peacekeeping force up and running, African leaders now plan a rapid-deployment emergency force, but analysts question whether it can deliver.

The African Union’s “African Standby Brigade”, meant to intervene swiftly in regional crises, has made little headway since preparations for a proposed force of 32,500 troops and civilians drawn from the continent’s five regions started a decade ago.

Solomon Ayele Dersso, senior researcher on conflict prevention at South Africa’s Institute for Security Studies, said the emergency force could work since the troops for it will be volunteered by member states with proven military capacity, instead of trying to include soldiers from every member state, as the full Standby Brigade proposes.

“One thing that’s different about the new force … is that it will be based on the principle of military capacity,” he told AFP.

He cited Nigeria, Ethiopia, Chad and Kenya as states that have proven their military capacity over the past 18 months or so.

“It’s nice to say all member states are equal, but we live in an Orwellian world where some states are more equal than others… and not all are in a position to make a contribution to peace and security,” he said.

The force will be tasked with “carrying out operations of limited duration and objectives or to contribute to the creation of conducive conditions for the deployment of AU and/or UN peace operations of wider scope,” AU documents said.

[size=14pt]the above is a good way to know 'who has the strongest military in Africa' in the sub-sahara region[/size]

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 29, 2013
agaugust:

why is Angola's army not helping AU and UN in African rebel wars ? Angola has about 20 years battle-field experience in anti-guerrilla warfare against UNITA.

I have no idea. Perhaps the angolans are war weary, having just ended their very own brutal civil war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 30, 2013
Nigerian navy special boat service( commandos)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EFX001: 12:11am On May 30, 2013
Henry120: Ugandan troops in somalia are packing M-4 carbine's. All of a sudden all news from the conflict in somalia just dried up. This Despite having a huge presence of security personnel from 6 different african countries.

@Henry120 those are not M-4's they are NORINCO CQ 5.56 (they are the cheap chinco m-4 knock off)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:12am On May 30, 2013
Cont'd

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:31am On May 30, 2013
Here is our very own nigerian contingent in somalia

The nigerian police force has practically phased out the AK-47, while the army is still stock with it in 2013. My prayer is that the army retires those weapons and either develop more modern rifles or buy Just like the nigerian police.

*i don't think that's going to happen though

Nigerian policemen clutching modified and up graded variants of the AK-74 in somalia

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 12:48am On May 30, 2013
Henry120:

The nigerian police force has practically phased out the AK-47, while the army is still stock with it in 2013. My prayer is that the army retires those weapons and either develop more modern rifles or buy Just like the nigerian police.

the army may not worry if battle-field demand does not require range longer than AK-47 ballistic capacity, based on infantry close-in firearm needs....maybe they rely on our DICON made general purpose machine guns for longer firing range in close infantry combat. nigerian army has so many of them, so very many...see the photos below.

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/03/ngr-troops-daily-times-photo.jpg[/img]

nigerian army may have its tactical reasons, i just guess anyway. we need a reliable rifle that can endure long periods of firing long bursts without jamming like fancy looking european rifles.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:06am On May 30, 2013
EFX001:

@Henry120 those are not M-4's they are NORINCO CQ 5.56 (they are the cheap chinco m-4 knock off)

....but that cheap rifle can k.ill person sha, abi ? grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:35am On May 30, 2013

[size=14pt]reason why every country avoids Algeria's army[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCkBvSFkfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C8kJIPU0l8

[size=14pt]...very strong....more like warriors[/size]

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 11:22am On May 30, 2013
SA Navy

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 11:44am On May 30, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:57am On May 30, 2013
Algeria the only African country with no debts and the only Arab country against terrorism..tho they are against Christianity
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 30, 2013
@saengine, is that one of your valour ships in front?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:35pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ..

i watched cameroon's independence 50th anniversary parade almost full length. your women march better than your men, why ?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:39pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Algeria the only African country with no debts and the only Arab country against terrorism..tho they are against Christianity

Algerian military is very very deadly. list of african armies i will love to AVOID in battle....

Eritrea
Nigeria
Algeria
Ethiopia
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 30, 2013
agaugust:

i watched cameroon's independence 50th anniversary parade almost full length. your women march better than your men, why ?
soldiers or civilians? Anyway I don't know I guess women are used to walk/March a certain way , so performing is probably easier for them
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 3:09pm On May 30, 2013
Random pic-NA

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 3:12pm On May 30, 2013
[i][/i]Random pics-NA cont'd

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 4:24pm On May 30, 2013
NAF pilots on training in the US

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 30, 2013
Fynline: NAF pilots on training in the US

NAF personnel training in AH-10 thunder bolts, hmmmm.... I just hope NAF top brass are not thinking of buying american over-priced fighters oh. It would be a major disaster, just look at our jag's. 24 Jaguars bought by the shagari regime, that haven't even clocked upto 60 hours all together in a state of decrepit.

if we are looking to get a COIN based fighter jet, NAF should look no further than the dependable SU-25 frog foot. Going for expensive, over bloated american planes isn't the way forward.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:43am On May 31, 2013
Fynline: NAF pilots on training in the US

nigerian military has the best mix of training in africa, a naval guy close to me, has trained in britain, india, italy, pakistan, USA, and he was just a junior rank at that time, not even an officer at all. nigeria invests so much on its military men training overseas, a multi-million dollar cost every year. no wonder we are always in demand by UN, AU, ECOWAS for commanding positions in red zones.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:50am On May 31, 2013
Henry120:

NAF personnel training in AH-10 thunder bolts, hmmmm.... I just hope NAF top brass are not thinking of buying american over-priced fighters oh. It would be a major disaster, just look at our jag's. 24 Jaguars bought by the shagari regime, that haven't even clocked upto 60 hours all together in a state of decrepit.

if we are looking to get a COIN based fighter jet, NAF should look no further than the dependable SU-25 frog foot. Going for expensive, over bloated american planes isn't the way forward.

nigeria does not need more than 12 L-15 Falcons trainer/light attack jets with either 6 SU-30 MKI or 12 JF-17 Thunder as multi-role/air superiority fighter/bomber.

i think we should just sell NAF Alpha jets, L-39 Albatross jets, and MB 339 jets to south sudan for $50m and offer to train/build an air force for them since they have none. the 18 Jaguar jets should be sold at $50m to india since they still upgrade and use the jets today.

too many aircraft types in any air force is a big money sucker. nigerian air force has too many types of aircraft in service, we should reduce the types and save cost of maintenance and training.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:53am On May 31, 2013
interesting to note :

egypt and ethiopia fought a war in 1874, and ethiopia won.

egypt and libya fought a war in 1977, and egypt won.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:57am On May 31, 2013
the forgotten army of africa....soldiers of Madagascar

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:57am On May 31, 2013
agaugust:

nigeria does not need more than 12 L-15 Falcons trainer/light attack jets with either 6 SU-30 MKI or 12 JF-17 Thunder as multi-role/air superiority fighter/bomber.

i think we should just sell NAF Alpha jets, L-39 Albatross jets, and MB 339 jets to south sudan for $50m and offer to train/build an air force for them since they have none. the 18 Jaguar jets should be sold at $50m to india since they still upgrade and use the jets today.

too many aircraft types in any air force is a big money sucker. nigerian air force has too many types of aircraft in service, we should reduce the types and save cost of maintenance and training.
I don't think it is Wise to sell our alpha jets, they have proven to be most usefull and dependable. I don't get your justification about having too many types of jets.
And it seems to me that we need as much jets as possible in order to be able to defend ourselves even from the USA.
Just remember that Nigeria is not a region of the USA and that the USA is oïl hungry.
So no we need as much air power as possible.
We might also have to fight countries like iran in the future. I don't think we should sell anything, we should rather upgrade and buy new ones, and also start building our own jets.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:02am On May 31, 2013
[size=16pt]women soldiers of western sahara....a forgotten army of africa[/size]

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:07am On May 31, 2013
patriot4: I don't think it is Wise to sell our alpha jets, they have proven to be most usefull and dependable. I don't get your justification about having too many types of jets.
And it seems to me that we need as much jets as possible in order to be able to defend ourselves even from the USA.
Just remember that Nigeria is not a region of the USA and that the USA is oïl hungry.
So no we need as much air power as possible.
We might also have to fight countries like iran in the future. I don't think we should sell anything, we should rather upgrade and buy new ones, and also start building our own jets.

i get your point...but i just wanted to avoid turning nigeria to south africa which has 26 Grippen jets with only 6 qualified pilots and less than 10 of its Grippen jets in flying condition, they also put 12 Grippen jets in long term storage in a cold room deep freezer....due to lack of cash, no money. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:13am On May 31, 2013
african refugees in western sahara war can somebody please talk to AU to wake up ? UN should help africa with money.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:16am On May 31, 2013

i sabi soja work pass my father !

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:16am On May 31, 2013
Who told you they are refugees? If they are where are they from? Also you can stop illegal immigration look at the USA
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:18am On May 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Who told you they are refugees? If they are where are they from?

yes they are african refugees from the western sahara war between polisario front and morooco.

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.