Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,491 members, 7,833,648 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (291) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4450378 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:25am On May 31, 2013
agaugust:

yes they are african refugees from the western sahara war between polisario front and morooco.
most of them are indigenous from that place..so they cant b refugees. I hear they want to form their nation, but Algeria and esp Maroc are against it
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:36am On May 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: most of them are indigenous from that place..so they can b refugees. I hear they want to form their nation, but Algeria and esp Maroc are against it
Being black in Morrocco or algeria is not easy so I understand why they want their ancestral land out.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:43am On May 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: most of them are indigenous from that place..so they can b refugees.

if war pursue me from yaounde to douala, i carry stove i carry cooking pot, i reach douala no place to sleep....i be refugee grin

africa is in trouble !

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:49am On May 31, 2013
agaugust:

if war pursue me from yaounde to douala, i carry stove i carry cooking pot, i reach douala no place to sleep....i be refugee grin

africa is in trouble !

Hopefully it will never happen
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:51am On May 31, 2013
patriot4:
Being black in Morrocco or algeria is not easy so I understand why they want their ancestral land out.
true. But some are also trying to enter in Europe through those countries
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:14am On May 31, 2013
patriot4: I don't think it is Wise to sell our alpha jets, they have proven to be most usefull and dependable. I don't get your justification about having too many types of jets.
And it seems to me that we need as much jets as possible in order to be able to defend ourselves even from the USA.
Just remember that Nigeria is not a region of the USA and that the USA is oïl hungry.
So no we need as much air power as possible.
We might also have to fight countries like iran in the future. I don't think we should sell anything, we should rather upgrade and buy new ones, and also start building our own jets.
why do you think we might fight Iran? Surely, their arms shipment down here is not an enough reason, is it?

Do you think it is possible for us and Iran to fight a war? We both lack the capacities to attack each other you know.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:46am On May 31, 2013
NO COMMENT PICTURES OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE PREPARATIONS FOR DR CONGO

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:49am On May 31, 2013
SANDF PREPARING FOR DR Congo

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:50am On May 31, 2013
Preparing for DR CONGO

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 8:52am On May 31, 2013
Henry120:

NAF personnel training in AH-10 thunder bolts, hmmmm.... I just hope NAF top brass are not thinking of buying american over-priced fighters oh. It would be a major disaster, just look at our jag's. 24 Jaguars bought by the shagari regime, that haven't even clocked upto 60 hours all together in a state of decrepit.

if we are looking to get a COIN based fighter jet, NAF should look no further than the dependable SU-25 frog foot. Going for expensive, over bloated american planes isn't the way forward.

Just because he took a pic standing in front of it, doesn't mean he's training on it.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:09am On May 31, 2013
agaugust:

i get your point...but i just wanted to avoid turning nigeria to south africa which has 26 Grippen jets with only 6 qualified pilots and less than 10 of its Grippen jets in flying condition, they also put 12 Grippen jets in long term storage in a cold room deep freezer....due to lack of cash, no money. grin

You continuesly come with your bullsh*iit talk just to gain favor amongst your naija boys without even giving anything with substance. This 6 pilot sh*iit you portray have been disproved before. You also refuse to take SA sites saafairforce forum as a credible source where mostly SAAF airforce personnel/reserves and experts comment yet you want us from SA to believe and quote Beeagleblog which is the equivalent to Saaf forum you don't see as credible.

You @Aguagust are one of the most foolish people I've come across maybe this is one of the reasons why this very thread is now dying a slow death because most of us SA guys have desided to give you Naija Air Heads the freedom to shore up your EGO.

Nigeria's airforce is pretty much a 1970's style airforce with all its F-7's which by the way you had 15 and three already crashed because of incompetent untrained pilots, even one pilot lost his live because of this incompetence.

Now SA has 26 Grippens with 12 in storage leaving SA with 14 air craft active. Now can you fool explain the so called less then 10 aircraft being not even capable of flying theory.

Here is a report from a news site where 4 SA Grippens were stationed after coming from Uganda airforce base.
http://m.news24.com/beeld/Suid-Africa/Nuus/SA-was-reg-vir/nog-20130409

[b]Now South Africa is the PIONEER in the Designing of the HMD systems since 1970 and was also the first country to use such optical track and fire system way before even any Air Force even got hold of such African pioneered systems.

The first operational jet fighter with HMD(Mirage F1AZ) were fielded by the South African Air Force, after the South African system had been provenm in combat, playing a role in downing several Soviet aircraft over Angola, the Soviets embarked on a crash program to counter the technology.
http://en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Helmet-mounted_display

South Africa today exports this system to alll Swedish Grippens and arguably the best fighter jet currently in service in the world the Eurofighter Typhoon which also uses the SA made HMD.
http://www.defencetalk.com/denel-optronics-head-tracker-system_for-eurofighter-typhoon-12206/

Now for a country like Nigeria who don't even export a single piece of hardware that's been battle tested in war zones, it really makes me sad to see how you can come and boast about a NAN force that uses 1970's aircraft tech and claim to be the best in Africa.

Please don't tell me about you planing to get J-17 or Su-30's because you don't fly them anywhere in Nigeria. By the way the SU-30's are no longer in active production line only upgrades and service parts are now available for that fighter jet, because Russia is gunning for the SU-35's now, so Nigeria is yet again going to buy second hand 3rd generation aircraft like they usually do the giants of hand me down second hand hardware.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:53am On May 31, 2013
agaugust:

nigeria does not need more than 12 L-15 Falcons trainer/light attack jets with either 6 SU-30 MKI or 12 JF-17 Thunder as multi-role/air superiority fighter/bomber.

i think we should just sell NAF Alpha jets, L-39 Albatross jets, and MB 339 jets to south sudan for $50m and offer to train/build an air force for them since they have none. the 18 Jaguar jets should be sold at $50m to india since they still upgrade and use the jets today.

too many aircraft types in any air force is a big money sucker. nigerian air force has too many types of aircraft in service, we should reduce the types and save cost of maintenance and training.

You've raised very good points. However, I still think we should keep the alpha jets. They've been modified and up graded for maritime patrol, an area we need as much air-frames as we can get for.

The JAG's have all been put on sale. The L-39's should be sold of like you suggested to smaller nations trying to build their airforce.

I think we should do, 12 L-15 falcons(confirmed), 12 JF-17 thunders and 6 SU-30mkk.

So at the end of the day we should have an airforce that looks like this

6 SU-30MKK
12 JF-17 thunder
12 L-15
13 F-7ni
9 maritime patrol alpha jets
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 31, 2013
saengine:

Just because he took a pic standing in front of it, doesn't mean he's training on it.

You cannot say what airframe he is training in? We can only make assumptions at this stage, since none of us were present when he took the photo.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 10:30am On May 31, 2013
Henry120:

You cannot say what airframe he is training in? We can only make assumptions at this stage, since none of us were present when he took the photo.

That's like say that same Nigerian pilot could also be training on F-22's, but I can't disprove it. Why would Nigeria train a pilot on an aircraft it will never ever buy?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:26am On May 31, 2013
saengine:

That's like say that same Nigerian pilot could also be training on F-22's, but I can't disprove it. Why would Nigeria train a pilot on an aircraft it will never ever buy?

Look, I'm by no means saying you are wrong, neither do I agree with your assertion.

Pages back, a poster pasted photos of a nigerian pilot training in an F-5 and another in an F-16. Are we going to get an F-5 or a 16, highly unlikely in my book. However I cannot say definitivly whether we are or we aren't, as I do not make the decisions for my country's military.

I was only passing on a suggestion, if indeed the americans are willing to sell the AH-10 to nigeria, it would be a bad idea for NAF top brass to go for the thunder bolt, when the SU-25 frog foot provides a better and less expensive alternative, with little to no bureaucratic bottle necks.

I DID NOT SAY EMPHATICALLY THAT NIGERIA IS GOING TO GET THE AH-10 THUNDERBOLT.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:53am On May 31, 2013
DictatorZAR:

Go and eat your dog food and live augugust alone

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 12:04pm On May 31, 2013
saengine:

What if i tell u he has trained on the A10 thunderbolt, will you believe me?. I posted the picture remember!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 12:17pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: Go and eat your dog food and live augugust alone

To be more exact, not every driver is an advanced driver. Drivers have to go for further training in order to qualify as advanced drivers. In the aviation industry the same applies, not every combat pilot is a qualified advanced fighter pilot. SA used to boast 91 of this finest before 80 of them resigned due to what they called Affirmative Action policies of the ruling party (ANC). Currently there are about 90 cadet fighter pilots on training in Langebaan (WC) majority of whom are blacks, Indians and coloureds and few whites. Their training began as at 2011 and this group are being groomed to the level of advanced fighter pilots.

Do you know that Nigeria does not have even a single new generation qualified advanced fighter pilot? in that case they will be forced to utilise the services of mercenary pilots. I am sorry to reveal that information. It is only Egypt, Ethiopia and SA who boast about such pilots.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

To be more exact, not every driver is an advanced driver. Drivers have to go for further training in order to qualify as advanced drivers. In the aviation industry the same applies, not every combat pilot is a qualified advanced fighter pilot. SA used to boast 91 of this finest before 80 of them resigned due to what they called Affirmative Action policies of the ruling party (ANC). Currently there are about 90 cadet fighter pilots on training in Langebaan (WC) majority of whom are blacks, Indians and coloureds and few whites. Their training began as at 2011 and this group are being groomed to the level of advanced fighter pilots.

Do you know that Nigeria does not have even a single new generation qualified advanced fighter pilot? in that case they will be forced to utilise the services of mercenary pilots. I am sorry to reveal that information. It is only Egypt, Ethiopia and SA who boast about such pilots.
Look, we have caught you telling a lot of lies on this forum and yet you want us to believe you without any doubt !
No I am sorry. First of all there is no way you would know about the training of Nigerian pilots.
And you have absolutely no source to prove what you are saying.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 12:55pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: Look, we have caught you telling a lot of lies on this forum and yet you want us to believe you without any doubt !
No I am sorry. First of all there is no way you would know about the training of Nigerian pilots.
And you have absolutely no source to prove what you are saying.

Trust me, this is the truth and there is no secret about it. Prove me wrong if you can and I can even further this assertion before your Airforce Commanders and surely there is no even a single one of them who will have information at disposal to prove me wrong.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Trust me, this is the truth and there is no secret about it. Prove me wrong if you can and I can even further this assertion before your Airforce Commanders and surely there is no even a single one of them who will have information in disposal to prove me wrong.
That is the problem, I do not trust you, because we caught you lying here quite a few times.
And you provide absolutely no proof of what you are saying.
Instead of providing proof, you are asking me to provide proof of the opposit.
You are nothing but a filthy liar. If you don't have proof then politely keep your big mouth shot.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:07pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

i revealed that same information many pages backward on this forum when @andrewza argued with me about nigeria's defence pact with ukraine but he was convinced when i proved the nigeria-ukraine defence pact with a document published here come months ago.

i said it them, nigeria did it in biafra war, sudden tranformation from zero combat jet to 54 combat jets all purchased with mercenary pilots during the biafra civil war.

nigeria is in the market shopping for a 4.5 generation jet fighter for air superiority and the new JF-17 Thunder block II is equal to Grippen jet in all areas approximately. we may but it of buy the great SU-27/SU-30 Flanker jets.

"In early 2010 it was reported that China had been in talks with around 5 to 6 countries on the JF-17, some of whom had sent air force pilots to test-fly the fighter.[123] Bangladesh, Myanmar, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Algeria showed interest in the fighter plane."

weblink source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC/PAC_JF-17_Thunder

also, nigeria still has the most powerful air-force in west africa sub-region, and the most powerful air defence systems in the whole of africa, Bofus AAA, Roland SAM, very modern Type 90 AAA, and very modern AKASH SAM coming too.

sorry to repeat this photo posted already some months ago in this forum.

modern and powerful Akash air defense systems coming to nigeria from india.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:12pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: That is the problem, I do not trust you, because we caught you lying here quite a few times.
And you provide absolutely no proof of what you are saying.
Instead of providing proof, you are asking me to provide proof of the opposit.
You are nothing but a filthy liar. If you don't have proof then politely keep your big mouth shot.

Can you show me one post where I lied. Beside, there is no argument about it, your combat pilots cannot be classified as advanced trained fighter pilot, not even one of them can be classified as one.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Can you show me one post where I lied. Beside, there is no argument about it, your combat pilots cannot be classified as advanced trained fighter pilot, not even one of them can be classified as one.
So you think that by saying it the more, still without any proof it will become true like that! Nigerian airforce is bigger than South african airforce and Nigerian pilots are more talented than South african pilots. For any training you people have, we have a much more difficult one. we even send our pilots to many pilot schools abroad. And for the lies you told, I don't have the tile to go through your posts right now, but many other people here can remember them. And hopefully someone will expose you again.
And I can claim things just like you with no proof:
South african air force is a disgrace, you guys don't have enough pilots for your aircrasfts and not enough to even consider your airforce airworhty. The situation is so bad that you couldn't even deploy pilots to help your guys in CAR. And that is a fact!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:35pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: So you think that by saying it the more, still without any proof it will become true like that! Nigerian airforce is bigger than South african airforce and Nigerian pilots are more talented than South african pilots. Any trining you people have, we have a much more difficult one. we even send our pilots to many pilot schools abroad. And for the lies you told, I don't have the tile to go through your posts right now, but many other people here can remember them. And hopefully someone will expose you again.
And I can claim things just like you with no proof:
South african air force is a disgrace, you guys don't have enough pilots for your aircrasfts and not enough to even consider you airforce airworhty. The situation is so bad that you couldn't even deploy pilots to help your guys in CAR. And that is a fact!

Why is it that when you guyz start to lose argument, then you will start to take refuge on CAR saga? Pilots do not just fly as they please, the skies above countries can never be intruded whichever way you like. You write like a journalist who knows nothing about military and yet tries to prove a point.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Why is it that when you guyz start to lose argument, then you will start to take refuge on CAR saga? Pilots do not just fly as they please, the skies above countries can never be intruded whichever way you like. You write like a journalist who knows nothing about military and yet tries to prove a point.
losing an argument ? hum, I brought you evidence your air force was a disgrace.
You on the other hand were asking me to trust you ! Why the hell should I do such a thing ?
And that is supposed to be your argument. You didn't present any proof and yet we should just be giving your our trust.
It is pretty clear you want to convince people that your amred forces are better, but nobody is asking you to just start claiming things, you are supposed to come ,with proof and not to use rhetoric as your only way to convince and then say "trust me".
Anybody who ever tryed to defeat your army succeded and yet you are here boasting; let us see what your photoshop army will do in DRC and the excuses you will soon bring forward.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 2:03pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: losing an argument ? hum, I brought you evidence your air force was a disgrace.
You on the other hand were asking me to trust you ! Why the hell should I do such a thing ?
And that is supposed to be your argument. You didn't present any proof and yet we should just be giving your our trust.
It is pretty clear you want to convince people that your amred forces are better, but nobody is asking you to just start claiming things, you are supposed to come ,with proof and not to use rhetoric as your only way to convince and then say "trust me".
Anybody who ever tryed to defeat your army succeded and yet you are here boasting; let us see what your photoshop army will do in DRC and the excuses you will soon bring forward.

Do not believe everything that the media is saying. By doing that you will only be chasing after shadows, because there are many people who oppose the ANC and would do anything to paint our government in black across various international media forums. They are disgruntled and feel like have been neglected by the ANC-led government through their policies of redistribution of wealth. Any negative media coverage about our Air Force does not shake my stomach, because am employed by SAAF and have first hand information, other than their half cooked reports.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 2:48pm On May 31, 2013
patriot4: losing an argument ? hum, I brought you evidence your air force was a disgrace.

Name one country that defeated us, if you want to resort to CAR saga, then you are lost because soldiers are ambushed everytime even Nigerian soldiers were ambushed recently escorting police and several of them were killed. Should we however conclude that Nigerian Army was defeated, if that is the case then I shame your education.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 31, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Do not believe everything that the media is saying. By doing that you will only be chasing after shadows, because there are many people who oppose the ANC and would do anything to paint our government in black across various international media forums. They are disgruntled and feel like have been neglected by the ANC-led government through their policies of redistribution of wealth. Any negative media coverage about our Air Force does not shake my stomach, because am employed by SAAF and have first hand information, other than their half cooked reports.

You don't want to compare the negative local media coverage we have right here in nigeria to that of south africa. The media is nigeria is worse than what you have in RSA. Our president is the world's "most criticised leader", if the president acts he is dammed, if he doesn't act he is dammed. This is just to show how both free and negative the media is in nigeria.

So your constant ramblings about the negative media coverage the ANC gets in your country is stale and out-dated.

Your country has better fighter jets than nigeria, no doubt. However it is preposterous for you or any other south african on this thread to claim that your entire air-force (fighter jets,transport planes and helos) is larger or better than that of nigeria. NO, that's a big fat lie.

Some of Our commercial pilots train in south africa, but fighter pilots, I beg to differ.

*on the issue of advanced fighter pilots, I'd agree with you since we do not have a 4 gen. Fighter jets

However that's about to change, we have already signed contracts for the delivery of 12 hongdu L-15 falcon light attack/trainer jets

our NAF is seriously considering going for the JF-17 thunder block II jets. The nigerian airforce chief visited pakistan in december of 2012, the pakistani air chief was also in nigeria 2 weeks back for a 5 day official visit.

Like my compatriot augugust said earlier the block II is on the same par as the SAAB gripen which south africa flies.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by HezronLorraine(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2013
Best thread ever on NL.most informative.well detailed arguements.good opinion delivery.intellectual tactics employed.keep it up.I just can't help not being addicted to this thread.fun and educative all the way.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 31, 2013
Nigerian navy frog men/commandos conduct beach landing, inflitration search and rescue of a HVT

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 3:30pm On May 31, 2013
Henry120:

You don't want to compare the negative local media coverage we have right here in nigeria to that of south africa. The media is nigeria is worse than what you have in RSA. Our president is the world's "most criticised leader", if the president acts he is dammed, if he doesn't act he is dammed. This is just to show how both free and negative the media is in nigeria.

So your constant ramblings about the negative media coverage the ANC gets in your country is stale and out-dated.

Your country has better fighter jets than nigeria, no doubt. However it is preposterous for you or any other south african on this thread to claim that your entire air-force (fighter jets,transport planes and helos) is larger or better than that of nigeria. NO, that's a big fat lie.

Some of Our commercial pilots train in south africa, but fighter pilots, I beg to differ.

*on the issue of advanced fighter pilots, I'd agree with you since we do not have a 4 gen. Fighter jets

However that's about to change, we have already signed contracts for the delivery of 12 hongdu L-15 falcon light attack/trainer jets

our NAF is seriously considering going for the JF-17 thunder block II jets. The nigerian airforce chief visited pakistan in december of 2012, the pakistani air chief was also in nigeria 2 weeks back for a 5 day official visit.

Like my compatriot augugust said earlier the block II is on the same par as the SAAB gripen which south africa flies.

Sorry, sir that had nothing to do with comparison of negative media coverage in both countries. I was unaware that Nigeria also suffers at the hands of the media, same as SA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.