Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,460 members, 7,850,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:35 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (863) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4459142 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) (866) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:56pm On Nov 28, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
[size=16pt]

NAF buys new 4th generation COIN light multi-role combat warplanes with......

.....very long range of 4,800 km flying to reach south africa !

NN to sign deal to restore, upgrade and modernize anti-submarine combat air power

NAF ATR-42 Surveyor aircraft re-loaded with extra NATO standard electronic equipment[/size]

more details, weblinks and photos to be posted tonight !

4 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 5:15pm On Nov 28, 2013

[size=16pt] year 2012 modern version A-29 Super Tucano signed purchase for nigerian airforce[/size]

http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/11/28/nigeria-buy-tucano-planes-reduce-5bn-trade-deficit-brazil/

Armament

Guns:

Internal: (2x) 12.7 mm (0.50 in) 950 rounds per minute FN Herstal M3P machine guns in wings.
pod: (1x) 20 mm (0.79 in) 650 rounds per minute GIAT M20A1 cannon below the fuselage.
pod: (1x) 12.7 mm (0.50 in) FN Herstal HMP for M3P machine gun.
pod: (4x) 7.62 mm (0.30 in) 3,000 rounds per minute Dillon Aero M134 Minigun (under development).
Hardpoints: 5 (two under each wing and one under fuselage centreline) with a capacity of 1,550 kg (3,300 lb)

Rockets:

(4x) pods 70 mm (2.75 in) LM-70/19, SBAT-70
(4x) pods 70 mm (2.75 in) LAU-68A/G

Missiles:

Air-to-air:
AIM-9L Sidewinder
MAA-1A Piranha
MAA-1B Piranha (under development)
Python 3
Python 4

Air-to-ground missiles:

AGM-65 Maverick
Delilah AL

Bombs:

General-purpose bombs:

(10x) Mk 81
(5x) Mk 82
M-117

Incendiary fire bombs:

BINC-300
Cluster bombs:
BLG-252

Precision-guided bombs:

FPG-82 (under development) Friuli Aeroespacial INS/GPS guidance kit for Mk 82.
SMKB-82[151] – INS/GPS guidance kit for Mk 82.
GBU-54 (under development)
GBU-38 (under development)
GBU-39 (under development)
Paveway II

Lizard – Elbit laser guidance kit.
Griffin – IAI laser guidance kit.
Others:
Chaff & Flare (countermeasures)
FLIR AN/AAQ-22 Star SAFIRE II (Electro-Optical/Infrared Sensors)

Avionics:

MIL-STD-1553 standards.
NVG ANVIS-9 (Night Vision)
CCIP / CCRP / CCIL / DTOS / LCOS / SSLC (Computerized Attack Modes)
R&S{RT} M3AR VHF/UHF airborne transceiver (two-way encrypted[161] Data Link provision)
HUD / HOTAS
HMD with UFCP(Up Front Control Panel)
Laser INS with GPS Navigational System.
CMFD(Colored Multi-Function Display) liquid crystal active matrix

Integrated Radio Communication and Navigation
Video Camera/Recorder
Automatic Pilot with embedded mission planning capability
Stormscope WX-1000E (Airborne weather mapping system)

Laser Range Finder
WiPak Support – (Wi-Fi integration for Paveway bombs).
Training and Operation Support System (TOSS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_314_Super_Tucano

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
agaugust:
[size=16pt]

NAF signs deal to buy new 4th generation COIN combat light aircraft

NN to sign deal to restore anti-submarine combat air power

NAF ATR-42 Surveyor aircraft re-loaded with extra NATO standard electronic equipment[/size]

more details, weblinks and photos to be posted tonight !

To do what with these, exactly?

You will not be fighting anyone or going on any mission for the next decade, at least.Not until you are done with Boko Haram.

You can't impress us with weapons purchased when your most important mission sits incomplete. Each day that goes by with you incapacitated by Boko Haram, you remain useless as a military nation. Togo could invade you and you wouldn't even have the ability to defend yourself. You did abandon your other missions, didn't you?

You couldn't even march across the Sahara at this point. For, if you did, Naai-geria would burn back home. Don't waste our time. You've become a nonentity in Africa.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by fydence: 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
agaugust:

i know what is paining you, the fake Umkhonto missile range of 80km you posted here that was proved wrong and fake by nigerians cheesy

next time you too avaoid fraudulent claims on this forum...nigerians are too smart for south africans cheesy

anyway lets knock-out your envy inspired and above quoted nigerian helicopters false information again

SIPRI ORG international arms database, United Nations arms sales log, IISS military balance database, all proves you totally wrong, nigeria has both second hand Mi-24 Hinds and brand new Mi-35 hinds, as well as armed assault Mi-171s Terminator combat helicopter, and armed Augusta AW 109 LUH combat helicopters, and total numbers is about 30 units combined.

the second hand helicopters have a different colur from the brand new ones.

http://beegeagle./2012/04/29/nigerian-air-force-nigerian-army-joint-opsa-new-mi-24v/

if your village herbalist is remote controlling your brain, be sincere enough to tell us, i will give you phone numbers of nigerian pastors that can pray to liberate your caged brain cells and restore you to a normal human being without charging any money.

i love the look of the terminator combat helo the most...it looks meaner,.. I hope we get the Sukhoi Su-27 jet too.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
fydence: i love the look of the terminator combat helo the most...it looks meaner,.. I hope we get the Sukhoi Su-27 jet too.

I dont think we should buy more planes yet. We should spend time and money on developing our own 4th and 5th generation fighter. Even if it takes us 15 years to do it.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 7:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
souldust:

I dont think we should buy more planes yet. We should spend time and money on developing our own 4th and 5th generation fighter. Even if it takes us 15 years to do it.

bros me, we no get choice o ! we must buy Brazilian weapons because Brazil has bought almost $10 billion worth of crude oil from Nigeria.

they are coming to invest Brazilian money in Nigerian Amebo III drones further advancement and upgrade in joint venture project for full scale production and international marketing of Nigerian drones.

just trying to balance the equation small small, make we no come they cheat our Brazilian brothers, we even collect U-17 world cup few weeks ago and Brazil dey for that tournament , them hand no touch the cup or see its shadow cheesy

abeg sir, na startegy o! we dey buy them weapons now, make them no too dey vex for the upper hand Nigeria is having over Brazil nowadays in almost everything.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
fydence: i love the look of the terminator combat helo the most...it looks meaner,.. I hope we get the Sukhoi Su-27 jet too.

the super tucano we just bought is as expensive as a fairly used SU-27 Flanker jet also costing the same price.

money is not nigeria's problem.

many people believe nigeria will go for JF-17 Thunder jet fighter instead SU-27 Flanker, sooner or later.

reason is that we now have a defence pact with china and pakistan who are building the JF-17 Thunder, and they are willing to transfer all the sophisticated technology of manufacturing the jets to nigeria 100% by taking us as the 3rd joint-venture ownership and development partner.

they are begging nigeria seriously to drag us into the deal, but NAF is slow and steady, looking at all ways to ensure we get what we want on our own favourable terms of agreement.

lets wait and see.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by fydence: 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
agaugust:

the super tucano we just bought is as expensive an a fairly used SU-27 jet.

money is not our problem.

people believe nigeria will go for JF-17 Thunder jet fighter instead SU-27 Flanker, sooner or later.

reason is that we now have defence pact with china and pakistan who are building the JF-17 Thunder, and they are willing to transfer all the sophisticated technology of manufacturing the jets to nigeria by taking us as the 3rd joint-venture ownership and development partner.

they are begging nigeria seriously to drag us into the deal, but NAF is slow and steady, looking at all ways to ensure we get what we want on our own favourable terms of agreement.

lets wait and see.

What I saw abt the JF-17 Thunder on wikipedia was quite comforting and enticing... I seems lyk it wld certainly be a better choice. More wisdom to the NAF decision makers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 28, 2013
agaugust:

bros me, we no get choice o ! we must buy Brazilian weapons because Brazil has bought almost $10 billion worth of crude oil from Nigeria.

they are coming to invest Brazilian money in Nigerian Amebo III drones further advancement and upgrade in joint venture project for full scale production and international marketing of Nigerian drones.

just trying to balance the equation small small, make we no come they cheat our Brazilian brothers, we even collect U-17 world cup few weeks ago and Brazil dey for that tournament , them hand no touch the cup or see its shadow cheesy

abeg sir, na startegy o! we dey buy them weapons now, make them no too dey vex for the upper hand Nigeria is having over Brazil nowadays in almost everything.

you are right! Soon, they will realise it is not BRICs (notice the small 's') but BRINC (notice the big "N"wink
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
agaugust: .
[size=16pt] nigeria buys new 4th generation COIN light combat warplanes.....

enter the Super Tucano ![/size]

USAF, american air force to also buy this same expensive $14 million per unit super baby firepower master blaster

http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/11/28/nigeria-buy-tucano-planes-reduce-5bn-trade-deficit-brazil/

bros I heard the news as well. it will be a very good move as Brazil will be willing to transfer technology for us to maintain this beauty in Nigeria.

the US almost bought the jet but for some political reasons they had to back out to purchase from their own which is almost similar to the tucano. don't know if they finally bought some units sha.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 11:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
[size=15pt] Nigeria military says bombed Boko Haram camps[/size]

Maiduguri — Air strikes on Boko Haram camps in northeast Nigeria have killed "many" insurgents, the military said Thursday of latest operation aimed at crushing the four-year Islamist uprising.

The bombardment last Sunday targeted the notorious Sambisa Forest area of Borno state, which is considered an extremist fiefdom and has become a key focus of the military's ongoing offensive.

News of the assault was slow to emerge as the mobile phone network in Borno remains switched off, part of the military strategy to hamper communication between the militants.

"Our men have identified and destroyed some camps of terrorists along the Sambisa area and the operation was a huge success," area army spokesman Mohammed Dole told journalists in Borno's capital Maiduguri.

"I cannot tell you the exact number of the terrorists killed but... many of them have been killed during the airstrike which we strongly believe was precise," he added.

A military source who requested anonymity told AFP that dozens of militants were likely to have been killed in the attack.

Sambisa area resident Bintu James, who spoke to reporters in Maiduguri, said "the airstrike started at night and raged on until Monday morning".

Nigeria's military has claimed a string of recent successes against Boko Haram in the northeast, the group's historic stronghold.

The government earlier this month extended the state of emergency in the area that was first imposed in May, giving the military added powers for six additional months to flush out or kill the rebel fighters.

Boko Haram launched its uprising against the Nigerian state in 2009 and has carried out attacks across northern and central Nigeria that have killed thousands.

[size=14pt]There is evidence that the military offensive has succeeded in cornering the militants in remote parts of the northeast, leaving them only capable of attacking soft targets.[/size]
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i6DNF8zHw5HUHbIRdCbYkwSs092w?docId=8ffd6a5f-13e7-4a2d-88f8-49adf0aa77a5

i purposely highlighted the last part for that dumb parrot @craigB to see. the fool that can't see beyond his nose and ends up running around in circles aimlessly to willfully derange himself.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by delvinmaya(m): 11:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Oh man did I really hit the nerve?. Don't worry yum eating igbo boy. Let's talk facts please. NO INSULTS. Your Nigerian brothers know me as Mike..Facts!!!!

actually you didnt, reading your posts reminds me of my 4 year old nephew crying and seeking attention,also not everybody in nigeria is igbo, though we all love eating yam. you should try it, you might develop brains actually. Like i said you are sounding like a broken record, claiming stuffs that no-one can prove about your army

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by delvinmaya(m): 11:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
@chris, my broda you get time, trying to educate a race that hates peeps who share same origins (or should i say color) with them
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:19am On Nov 29, 2013
chris365:

bros I heard the news as well. it will be a very good move as Brazil will be willing to transfer technology for us to maintain this beauty in Nigeria.

the US almost bought the jet but for some political reasons they had to back out to purchase from their own which is almost similar to the tucano. don't know if they finally bought some units sha.

America has purchased 20 Super Tucano combat aircraft for the USAF, they dont have any american aircraft in that class that can match the Brazilian Super Tucano

what America did was to insist the aircraft are locally assembled here in the U.S.A at Jacksonville city assembly plant and it is being done now, all 20 Super Tucano's will be delivered to USAF in 6 months time, by June 2014.

Nigeria has made a very wise choice again as a mature and experienced nation with smart decision making in weapons purchase after we learnt our lessons in the 1990s.

http://www.builtforthemission.com/news.php

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:24am On Nov 29, 2013
chris365:

[size=15pt] Nigeria military says bombed Boko Haram camps[/size]

Maiduguri — Air strikes on Boko Haram camps in northeast Nigeria have killed "many" insurgents, the military said Thursday of latest operation aimed at crushing the four-year Islamist uprising.

The bombardment last Sunday targeted the notorious Sambisa Forest area of Borno state, which is considered an extremist fiefdom and has become a key focus of the military's ongoing offensive.

News of the assault was slow to emerge as the mobile phone network in Borno remains switched off, part of the military strategy to hamper communication between the militants.

"Our men have identified and destroyed some camps of terrorists along the Sambisa area and the operation was a huge success," area army spokesman Mohammed Dole told journalists in Borno's capital Maiduguri.

"I cannot tell you the exact number of the terrorists killed but... many of them have been killed during the airstrike which we strongly believe was precise," he added.

A military source who requested anonymity told AFP that dozens of militants were likely to have been killed in the attack.

Sambisa area resident Bintu James, who spoke to reporters in Maiduguri, said "the airstrike started at night and raged on until Monday morning".

Nigeria's military has claimed a string of recent successes against Boko Haram in the northeast, the group's historic stronghold.

The government earlier this month extended the state of emergency in the area that was first imposed in May, giving the military added powers for six additional months to flush out or kill the rebel fighters.

Boko Haram launched its uprising against the Nigerian state in 2009 and has carried out attacks across northern and central Nigeria that have killed thousands.

[size=14pt]There is evidence that the military offensive has succeeded in cornering the militants in remote parts of the northeast, leaving them only capable of attacking soft targets.[/size]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i6DNF8zHw5HUHbIRdCbYkwSs092w?docId=8ffd6a5f-13e7-4a2d-88f8-49adf0aa77a5

i purposely highlighted the last part for that dumb parrot @craigB to see. the fool that can't see beyond his nose and ends up running around in circles aimlessly to willfully derange himself

the boko haram boys better surrender before NAF Super Tucano warplanes arrive, or else they face a worse air attack from the best COIN warplane in the world, nigeria will just use the boko boys to test fire all the weapons on our new A-29 Super Tucan Counter Insurgency master blaster aircraft.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 7:49am On Nov 29, 2013

.....able to operate from cleared soil farm land with no air force base or airport available. rugged man Super Tucano of Nigeria, ruggedy baba !

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 7:57am On Nov 29, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Woolies saw it all oo in Naaigeria. Their middle class stats were exagarated in reality its small grin grin grin grin grin grin
In reality AFRICA SOUTH OF EQUATOR HAS MORE MIDDLE CLASS THAN ELSE WHERE IN SUB SAHARA AFRICA.

Botswana in "BLUE TOPS" . Theyr BATSWANAS LIKE THE BATSWANA OF NORTH WEST SOUTH AFRICA. Also rich live in PLATINUM RICH NORTH WEST (80% OF PLATINUM IS OF THE WORLD HERE). grin grin grin grin PLATINUM IS VALUE HIGHER THAN "GOLD". FACT. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin Hence in SA and Botswana "GOLD RINGS ARE OUT OF FASHION AND CHEAP, PLATINUM HAS TAKEN OVER". grin grin grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 8:02am On Nov 29, 2013

[size=16pt]nigerian navy to restore 3 anti-submarine helicopters[/size]

return of the Lynx submarine hunter and k.iller, with reactivation from storage, upgrading and modernization, the 3 Lynx helicopters of nigerian navy will likely be first posted on board the two coming brand new P18N/Type 056 Stealth Warship and NNS Aradu.

http://beegeagle./2013/11/21/nigerian-navy-capital-asset-gains-the-2012-2013-epoch/

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 8:05am On Nov 29, 2013
agaugust:

America has purchased 20 Super Tucano combat aircraft for the USAF, they dont have any american aircraft in that class that can match the Brazilian Super Tucano

what America did was to insist the aircraft are locally assembled here in the U.S.A at Jacksonville city assembly plant and it is being done now, all 20 Super Tucano's will be delivered to USAF in 6 months time, by June 2014.

Nigeria has made a very wise choice again as a mature and experienced nation with smart decision making in weapons purchase after we learnt our lessons in the 1990s.

http://www.builtforthemission.com/news.php

now I get it. but I doubt Nigeria will want to assemble the jets locally due to it's urgent need. but word has it that we will get a good deal of technology transfer for local maintenance. so that we won't make the kind of mistakes most African countries make with such purchase.

kudos to our smart generals.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2013
delvinmaya:

actually you didnt, reading your posts reminds me of my 4 year old nephew crying and seeking attention,also not everybody in nigeria is igbo, though we all love eating yam. you should try it, you might develop brains actually. Like i said you are sounding like a broken record, claiming stuffs that no-one can prove about your army

LWKMFH. true talk bros
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GeneralJ(m): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2013
AwodwaGyanOniwe: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Woolies saw it all oo in Naaigeria. Their middle class stats were exagarated in reality its small grin grin grin grin grin grin
In reality AFRICA SOUTH OF EQUATOR HAS MORE MIDDLE CLASS THAN ELSE WHERE IN SUB SAHARA AFRICA.

Botswana in "BLUE TOPS" . Theyr BATSWANAS LIKE THE BATSWANA OF NORTH WEST SOUTH AFRICA. Also rich live in PLATINUM RICH NORTH WEST (80% OF PLATINUM IS OF THE WORLD HERE). grin grin grin grin PLATINUM IS VALUE HIGHER THAN "GOLD". FACT. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin Hence in SA and Botswana "GOLD RINGS ARE OUT OF FASHION AND CHEAP, PLATINUM HAS TOOK OVER". grin grin grin
Oh my God not you again, you are very annoying, and when you type you make no sense, i usually wouldn't stoop down to your level but enough is enough, so i will go ahead and say this the way you type:
THIS IS A MILTARY THREAD NOT AN ECONOMIC THREAD..YOU ARE A CLASSIC DERAILER.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GeneralJ(m): 8:11am On Nov 29, 2013
agaugust:

the boko haram boys better surrender before NAF Super Tucano warplanes arrive, or else they face a worse air attack from the best COIN warplane in the world, nigeria will just use the boko boys to test fire all the weapons on our new A-29 Super Tucan Counter Insurgency master blaster aircraft.

Yeah, according to a source somewhere, these were actually tested as light air support for Marines stationed in Afghanistan and what not, and they also purchased some for the Afghanis, but i don't recall much about that article, i will see if i can dig it up again.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 8:18am On Nov 29, 2013

[size=16pt]NAF ATR-42 Surveyor Maritime Patrol aircraft back from Europe.....

....fully re-loaded with new ELINT electronic warfare upgrade to NATO current standards[/size]

System Highlights

Very high Probability of Intercept (100% nominal)

Capability to operate in a very high density scenario without performance degradation

Full azimuth coverage (very accurate monopulse DF)

Very wide RF coverage, from UHF to K (C to J) band, optionally extendable to mmW

Detection of emitters with Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) characteristics

Detection and measurement of emitter side-lobes

High-quality real time signal analysis - including Modulation on Pulse - and automatic warning of high priority emitters

Fast and unambiguous emitter detection and radar identification

Capability to operate also with raw data libraries (mission data)

Accurate inter-pulse and intra-pulse ELINT analysis function, suitable for detection and measurement of complex emitter's agility (both in time
and frequency domain)

When activated, ELINT-type analysis is simultaneous with ESM surveillance and the two functions are non mutually interfering

http://beegeagle./2013/11/21/nigerian-navy-capital-asset-gains-the-2012-2013-epoch/

http://www.elettronica-elt-roma.com/index.php/en/avionic-eng/alr-7334

nigerian air force ATR-42 Surveyor aircraft....still ruling the African oceans from the air
[img]http://www.aleniaaermacchi.it/en-US/Media/Lists/PhotogalleryHomePageStructureList/ATR-03.jpg[/img]

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 8:42am On Nov 29, 2013
agaugust:

[size=16pt]NAF ATR-42 Surveyor Maritime Patrol aircraft back from Europe.....

....fully re-loaded with new ELINT electronic warfare upgrade to NATO current standards[/size]

System Highlights

Very high Probability of Intercept (100% nominal)

Capability to operate in a very high density scenario without performance degradation

Full azimuth coverage (very accurate monopulse DF)

Very wide RF coverage, from UHF to K (C to J) band, optionally extendable to mmW

Detection of emitters with Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) characteristics

Detection and measurement of emitter side-lobes

High-quality real time signal analysis - including Modulation on Pulse - and automatic warning of high priority emitters

Fast and unambiguous emitter detection and radar identification

Capability to operate also with raw data libraries (mission data)

Accurate inter-pulse and intra-pulse ELINT analysis function, suitable for detection and measurement of complex emitter's agility (both in time
and frequency domain)

When activated, ELINT-type analysis is simultaneous with ESM surveillance and the two functions are non mutually interfering

http://www.elettronica-elt-roma.com/index.php/en/avionic-eng/alr-7334

nigerian air force ATR-42 Surveyor aircraft....still ruling the African oceans from the air
[img]http://www.aleniaaermacchi.it/en-US/Media/Lists/PhotogalleryHomePageStructureList/ATR-03.jpg[/img]

as beeg suggests;
(EDITED.)

I have seen photos dated 3 November 2013 of NAF 931, an Alenia ATR 42-500 MPA Surveyor plane.

Well the gist is that the airframe has been put through upgradation and is now fully ELINT-compliant.

The said photo shows the ATR 42-500 MPA surveillance plane before and after the ELINT upgrade. It shows a dome on the fuselage just behind the wings, post-upgradation.

That my friends is an AWACS for you

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 10:21am On Nov 29, 2013
drag_on: http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/williamsaundersonmeyer/2013/10/19/saaf-from-fighting-force-to-flying-farce/

Not only is the UN giving the Rooivalk its first battleground test, but crucially for the South African Air Force (SAAF), it is also paying to do so. All deployment costs, including fuel and ammunition, are borne by the UN.

That’s an unexpected bonanza because the SAAF can’t afford much actual flying and fighting. A dozen of those Gripens are now mothballed because the SAAF has neither the money to fuel them, nor the aircrew to fly them.
The SAAF’s budgets are so strained that its pilots struggle to clock the flying hours needed to keep their ratings current. There are only six pilots qualified to fly the Gripens and they clock barely a tenth of the 250 annual hours each, which European militaries consider the minimum necessary cheesy cheesy grin shocked shocked
Most of the SAAF’s 30-strong light helicopter fleet is grounded because of the “almost total lack of flying-hour allocation”, according to the authoritative Defenceweb site. Defenceweb writes that this “precarious financial and personnel situation” also led to the humiliation of the SAAF managing to keep its specialist maritime helicopters aloft for fewer than a dozen hours, during last month’s joint peacekeeping exercise with United States in the Eastern Cape. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SA-troops-in-DRC-well-equipped-SANDF-20130830

"You then have to tell the UN how much it is going to cost them because you don’t want to fly it [the helicopters] on the taxpayer’s account. shocked shocked shocked We are not sending any pieces of artillery but we will send the Rooivalk if the UN agrees."

Mgwebi said the world body had yet to pay for the further deployments it requested.

"They have requested a battalion from us and we have given them [the soldiers]. We [also] have three Oryx helicopters already on the ground," he said.

"When you give them, it speaks to the issues of reimbursement. We said 'we give you and you reimburse the country'."

He said the UN was required to sign documentation before additional weaponry was sent to the DRC.

"We have said to them we are ready and this is what it is going to mean to you [financially] as the UN, the rates. The ball is in their court, not in South Africa's," said Mgwebi.

I even wonder how is the Nigerian military faring with only half the SANDF budget, if it is facing such challenges. You want to rule Africa with such a small budget, smaller than that of ordinary municipalities in SA. All Nigerian military equipments are either second hand or low cost made specially to suit their small budget. Your country can never run SANDF, it will run dry before it could even think of it. Our national budget is four times larger than West Africa combined together. Shame on you!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 10:57am On Nov 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

I even wonder how is the Nigerian military faring with only half the SANDF budget, if it is facing such challenges. You want to rule Africa with such a small budget, smaller than that of ordinary municipalities in SA. All Nigerian military equipments are either second hand or low cost made specially to suit their small budget. Your country can never run SANDF, it will run dry before it could even think of it. Our national budget is four times larger than West Africa combined together. Shame on you!!

That says a lot more about S.A. and the SANDF than it does about Nigeria And Our Armed Forces,it is you who should be ashamed. tongue. your Budget is 4 times ours as you say(i have not confirmed) but your GDP growth rate is 1/6 ours.Your Military budget is more but your Forces less capable than ours. grin grin

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-11-26-south-africas-economic-growth-slows-to-four-year-low-of-07

compare this http://www.tradingeconomics.com/south-africa/gdp-growth with this http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-growth

Now back to military topics cool

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 11:14am On Nov 29, 2013
drag_on:

That says a lot more about S.A. and the SANDF than it does about Nigeria And Our Armed Forces,it is you who should be ashamed. tongue. your Budget is 4 times ours as you say(i have not confirmed) but your GDP growth rate is 1/6 ours.Your Military budget is more but your Forces less capable than ours. grin grin

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-11-26-south-africas-economic-growth-slows-to-four-year-low-of-07

compare this http://www.tradingeconomics.com/south-africa/gdp-growth with this http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-growth

There is nothing to be ashamed of, it shows that the kind of military we have is not some kind of yam you can plant in Nigerian farms. It has expensive machines that no any country in Africa can run.

About the GDP, our own is good for the population of 50 mil, which is just below the one-third of Nigeria's population. So, for Nigeria to be on par with SA it has to grow 3 x the GDP of SA. Shame on you that a country with such a small population like SA is still gripping you by the horn in all respects.

We are the true giants of Africa, who do not beat up their chest and pronounce themselves as such.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 11:22am On Nov 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

There is nothing to be ashamed of, it shows that the kind of military we have is not some kind of yam you can plant in Nigerian farms. It has expensive machines that no any country in Africa can run.

About the GDP, our own is good for the population of 50 mil, which is just below the one-third of Nigeria's population. So, for Nigeria to be on par with SA it has to grow 3 x the GDP of SA. Shame on you that a country with such a small population like SA is still gripping you by the horn in all respects.

We are the true giants of Africa, who do not beat up their chest and pronounce themselves as such.

There is nothing to be ashamed of, it shows that the kind of military we have is not some kind of yam you can plant in Nigerian farms. It has expensive machines that no any country in Africa can run. Including SANDF making it an incompetent Force.

About the GDP, our own is good for the population of 50 mil, which is just below the one-third of Nigeria's population. So, for Nigeria to be on par with SA it has to grow 3 x the GDP of SA. Shame on you that a country with such a small population like SA is still gripping you by the horn in all respects. You talked about budget performance not population numbers.Your large budget for a small country yields 1% growth.Nigeria's small budget for a large Population yields 6% growth, go figure.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:25am On Nov 29, 2013
@AUGUSTUS WHILE NIGERIA BUYS SOUTH AFRICA IS EXPORTING AND RAKING IN BILLIONS IN REVENUES AND MAYBE SOUTH AFRICA WOULD BE ARMING THE VERY SAME AIRCRAFT SINCE NIGERIA BOUGHT IT FROM BRASIL

the annual Dubai Air Show it was announced that the UAE Armed Forces has placed an order for the production of an undisclosed number of Tawazun Dynamics' Al Tariq precision-guided weapon systems at a total value of AED 1.8 billion (US$500 million). Manufactured by Tawazun Dynamics, a member of the Tawazun Group, Al Tariq is a family of strap-on bomb kit systems. Utilizing GPS/INS guidance, Al-Tariq provides users with an all-weather, day/night operational capability and has a range of up to 100km and is used against tactical and strategic targets.

The order is part of the General Headquarters (GHQ) of the UAE Armed Forces drive to support home-grown defence manufacturing capabilities, to provide job and career development opportunities for the UAE nationals and to benefit from Tawazun's experience in the industrial and manufacturing fields.

Tawazun Dynamics was set up in September 2012 as a joint venture between Tawazun Holding and the Denel Dynamics division of Denel. Tawazun Dynamics is operating its Abu Dhabi-based facility for the development, manufacture, assembly and integration of precision-guided systems for conventional air munitions exclusively for the UAE Air Force. Its flagship project, the Al Tariq, is currently entering high volume production. The company is 51% owned by Tawazun and 49% by Denel.

The announcement comes amid the US policy trend of not selling precision weapons to Arabian Gulf states.

The R5bn contract will see the precision-guided bomb systems being integrated onto Mirage 2000-9 fighter jets flown by the air force of the UAE. The Group Chief Executive Officer of Denel, Riaz Saloojee, says the decision to equip the Mirage fighters with the Al Tariq bombs demonstrate Denel's global competence in designing world-class precision-guided munitions and missile systems.

The Al Tariq recently successfully completed a range of tests designed to measure its efficiency against static and moving targets. The targets were hit with an accuracy of more than 1.5 metres. Weapon navigation was by means of the advanced GPS-aided inertial navigation system which gives the weapon all-weather and day and night capabilities. Defence Industry Daily reported that Tawazun Dynamics’ Al-Tariq (originally: Umbani) glide bomb kit for Mk80 family bombs, with pop-out wings and propulsion bolt-ons that can boost its range to 100 km/ 60 miles, is the first example of the weapons the partnership will offer. Tawazun Dynamics is also offering dual-guidance GPS/IIR options, making Al-Tariq a direct competitor to Sagem’s AASM, Boeing’s JDAM-ER, and Raytheon’s AGM-154 JSOW. It could even be seen as an alternative to products like Lockheed Martin’s JASSM. The exact suite of weapons that will be offered through the partnership will be made clear at a later date. The Umbani-derived “Al-Tariq” bomb kits to convert 500 – 2,000 pound bombs into extended range precision glide weapons is the only near-certainty, and the only weapon listed so far by Tawazun Dynamics.

The integration of the Al Tariq with the Mirage, manufactured by Dassault Aviation is an important milestone for both Denel and Tawazun, and expectations are that the bomb systems will in future also be fitted onto other fighter jets.

By creating a joint firm near Abu Dhabi to manufacture and develop guided weapons, the new Tawazun Dynamics partnership will be able to offer GPS-guided glide bombs and more to customers throughout the Middle East, and around the world. Defence Industry Daily pointed out that it is another significant crack in a set of barriers that have given western countries a great deal of leverage with countries who buy their fighters. New entrants like Brazil, Turkey, South Korea, and South Africa are introducing advanced systems for the global market. As alternatives proliferate, the environment that allowed America and European countries to use the continued supply of advanced weapons as a political bargaining chip is eroding quickly.

The remaining barrier to Tawazun’s partnership is that the weapons it creates have to be integrated with specific fighters. In the UAE’s case, that means its French Mirage 2000-9s, and its US-manufactured F-16E/F Block 60s. If they were facing a different customer, France and the USA might choose to deny permission for integration with their fighters, using weapon export laws and other obstacles in order to stifle incipient competition for their domestic firms, and preserve that aspect of their national influence. However, the UAE is not that customer.

France is in negotiations with the UAE for a major buy of its Rafale fighters, which could provide the platform’s desperately-needed export endorsement. The USA has a significant strategic relationship with the UAE, and does a multi-billion dollar weapons business of its own that includes the possibility of F/A-18 Super Hornet family sales and more F-16E/Fs. Neither country can afford to jeopardize those investments and partnerships, even if the request diminishes their global influence in the defence trade.

The ability to sell to other Mirage 2000 customers opens up markets in Brazil, Qatar, and India, among others, as these are countries that all operate the aircraft. If the UAE chooses the Rafale, one would expect integration on that platform as well. South Africa flies JAS-39C/D Gripens, but has been slow to integrate new weapons like the Umbani GPS glide bomb kit due to lack of funds. Instead, South Africa integrated Umbani onto its Hawk Mk.120 advanced trainer and light attack jets, which could become a viable export platform depending on the partnership’s terms. The F-16E/F is unique enough that the UAE may have to work to include earlier F-16C/D Block 40+ planes, but if they did, it would open up a huge opportunity around the world.

Although the partnership is still in its early stages, Denel says it can offer much more to the market through this partnership:

The Mokopa short-range, semi-active laser guided strike missile, with a tandem warhead for better armour penetration. It can be carried on helicopters, and has been tested from land and ships. Denel Dynamics’ catalogue includes fixed-wing aircraft as a possibility, but is mum on tests or integration. The -600C temperatures at high altitudes are a formidable problem for conventional anti-tank missiles, so it remains to be seen how broad that “fixed wing” capability really is. If the UAE funded testing and improvements, it could create a competitor to MBDA’s Brimstone missile, which proved very effective in Libya.

The 1,200 kg Raptor-II rocket-boosted glide weapon, which can be guided by TV & GPS (with an IIR option) over its 130 km range. Integrated aircraft include older Mirage models, and the Russian SU-24 long-range strike aircraft.

The A-Darter advanced short-range air to air missile, in development as a partnership with Brazil. The UAE is already working to field the US’AIM-9X missiles for its F-16s, and fields MICA missiles on its Mirages, so it may not be interested.

The Ingwe beam-riding laser-guided anti-tank missile, which can be used by soldiers or fired from helicopters or vehicle mounts; Iraq is already a customer, equipping its EC635 scout helicopters.

The Umkhonto IR-guided short range naval anti-aircraft missile, which can also be deployed as a ground Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:26am On Nov 29, 2013
@AUGUSTUS BOTSWANA IS MAKING INROADS IN AVIATION HISTORY:

Botswana is actively looking to purchase South Korea's T-50 supersonic advanced trainer and its FA-50 light combat aircraft, the South Korean Defense Ministry said on 18 November 2013.

The Botswana Air Force’s current compliment of aircraft consists of 14, F-5A fighter jets and F-5D trainers it bought from Canada in 1996. However it is now looking to replace them with more suitable modern aircraft.

Botswana’s Minister of Defence, Dikgakgamatso Seretse, met with his Korean counterpart Kim Kwan-jin in Seoul on 30 October 2013 during his visit to attend the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition 2013.

As a result of the deal, a senior South Korean military delegation will visit Botswana between 23 and 28 November 2013, to expand defense ties and seek opportunities to export home-made trainer jets to Botswana, Seoul's defense ministry said on 18 November 2013. The delegation will consist of a team of eight military, acquisition and Air Force officials, led by a two-star general.

The Korean delegation plans to meet Botswana officials and hold a business presentation on the T-50 supersonic trainer, built jointly by Korea Aerospace Industries (KIA) and US aerospace giant Lockheed Martin, as well as the FA-50, a light attack variant of the T-50.

"The visit is aimed at providing government support to facilitate the export of the T-50 or the FA-50," a senior South Korean Defence Ministry official said on customary anonymity. "We hope the upcoming visit could help pave the way for South Korea to tap into Africa, expanding its overseas market focused in Southeast Asia, Latin America and Europe."

It is presently known that the Botswana government is seeking to acquire about 16 jets, with plans to receive a first batch of eight aircraft with no specific date yet to be decided, according to military officials.

The latest move comes as KAI, South Korea's sole aircraft maker, is stepping up its overseas marketing efforts to make inroads into emerging nations with growing defense needs. Thailand is currently negotiating with KAI to buy T-50s and FA-50s, with plans to buy the first batch of nine jets out of the proposed purchase estimated at 16 aircraft, according to industry sources and military officials. In addition, Seoul is set to export 12 FA-50s worth some US$ 450 million to the Philippines, expecting to sign a deal by the end of 2013.

Botswana proves an attractive market for low volume defence sales, in that it currently requires an upgrade to its fighter and trainer fleet, and because it ranks second after South Africa in terms of GDP, with a per capita GDP of US$ 8,550.

Although an unusual source of military equipment, South Korea does indeed offer a competitive package. This is largely due to the participation in the design programme of the US defence giant, Lockheed Martin, as well as the fact that prices are expected to be competitive due to the fact that South Korea is still looking to establish itself as a defence equipment exporter in the military aircraft arena.

As such, South Korea may prove to be an interesting new entrant into African defence markets, in that it remains typically unknown and politically neutral, when compared to the offerings provided by typical African defence equipment suppliers, such as the US, France, China, Russia and the South Africa. This could give Korean exports a significant advantage, particularly if they are built to the high specifications which their US allies typically select, and that of South Korean industrial giants such as Hyundai are world renowned for in their ship building offerings. As such, being a new player in African defence markets will not be without their challenges, but should the South Koreans maintain a competitive position in terms of price and equipment performance, they could very well make significant inroads in the future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) (866) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.