Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children (1359 Views)

Why Are Godly Parents Not Raising Godly Seeds? / 6 Useful Tips For Raising Godly And Confident Children / Raising Up Godly Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by sunky97: 4:54am On Nov 05, 2017
When I minister in churches, couples often ask, “How can I raise Godly children”? I sense these parents are longing for me to give them a formula in which to input their offspring so that children who love and respect the Lord will pop out. However, as most seasoned parents understand, this cannot be reduced to a formula, but requires a great amount of wisdom gleaned from biblical principles. Therefore, please understand these ten keys are not meant to be an all inclusive parenting manual, but rather major biblical points of consideration that God has shown Debbie and me over the last thirty years as we raised our four sons. We readily admit that we made mistakes along the way, but our God was gracious to confirm what we did right and to gently teach us through our mistakes. Hopefully you can benefit from all He has shown us.
1) Develop a Passionate Relationship with God
In Deuteronomy 6:5-6, God instructs parents:
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
How enlightening that before God commands parents to diligently teach their children (v. 7), He first instructs them to passionately love Him (vv. 5-6)! God wants parents to understand that they cannot transfer to their children what they do not possess themselves. The foundation for both a great marriage and successful parenting is to love the Lord supremely above every other love.

2) Strong Marriages Add Stability to a Child’s Life
Many times a pastor will ask me the question, “Which conference should I schedule first– a marriage or parenting conference?” Without hesitation I reply, “A marriage conference. If your couples’ marriages are not sound, their parenting will be hindered.” It is not easy to raise children when you have a strong marriage, but nearly impossible when you have a shaky marriage! Solidify your marriage. Apply the principles from these suggested resources; What Did You Expect? (book), Celebration of Marriage Conference, What is Marriage? and Leading with Love (messages on mp3). Only when each spouse passionately loves God (key 1), will they correctly love each other and have the strong marital foundation needed for successful parenting.
If you are a single parent, pray for strength and wisdom to show respect and avoid negative put downs of the parent that is no longer in the home. Also, if the ex-spouse is pursuing an ungodly lifestyle and he or she has visitation rights, you must prepare your children to respond respectfully and righteously in the undesirable environment.
3) Make the Word of God Your Standard
We are living in a day that offers as many views on parenting as there are parents. It has been my experience tharadition (how they were reared by parents or grandparents), books written by a children’s psychologist, or advice from pediatricians such as Dr. Benjamin Spock who wrote the book, Baby and Childcare. Unfortunately, many fail to consult the book authored by the One who created the family unit. God’s Word is full of instruction about training children. It is the standard that we are to use to raise children that are God fearing. He has also gifted some Christians with the wisdom to write effective biblically based books on parenting. I highly recommend Shepherding a Child’s Heart(parents with young children) and Age of Opportunity (parents with teenage children).
4) Parents Must Be on the Same Page
One common source of marital strife is disagreements concerning child rearing. To successfully parent their children a mom and dad must be on the same page. As previously stated, that page needs to be the Word of God. In Amos 3:3, God asks, “Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?” The obvious answer is – No! Parents must make a commitment to search the Scriptures and read biblically based books that direct them to be in harmony. If parents are not in agreement, their children will skillfully manipulate to get their way.
5) Protect Your Children
In a culture that is infiltrated with humanistic thought, sexual immorality, ungodly media, pedophiles, and false teachers, to name but a few, it is absolutely essential that parents take responsibility for their children’s wellbeing. A major part of protection is to teach children truth so they will recognize lies that are seeking to take root in their hearts. Parents must have a fresh realization that it is not primarily the church’s responsibility to protect the mind or to train their child. It is their God ordained duty! J.I. Packer writes of the Puritan family:
It was the husband’s responsibility to channel the family into religion; to take them to church on the Lord’s day, and the oversee the sanctifying of that entire day in the home; to catechize the children, to teach them the faith; to examine the whole family after each sermon, to see how much had been retained and understood, and to fill in any gaps in understanding that might remain; To lead the family in worship daily, ideally twice a day, and to set a Godly example at all times and in all matters. To this end he must take time to learn the faith that he is charged to teach.
Can you imagine what a difference it would make if fathers re-instituted this spiritual discipline in their homes? Dads, I challenge you to make family devotions a priority.
Parents must shield their children by monitoring television, installing filters on internet, regulating and olters on internet, regulating and overseeing the use of cell phones, and reviewing books and materials that are used at school. Also, they must safeguard their children from a society filled with pedophiles by not allowing them to be alone with anyone (even friend or relative) they do not completely know or trust. Protection also includes training children to resist and report any improper touch.
6) Bless Your Children
The necessity of bestowing blessings is frequently overlooked. There are many children today who are desperately pleading like Esau, “Bless me, even me also, O my father” (Genesis 27:34).
When mothers and fathers brought children to Jesus the disciples reprimanded these parents. But, Jesus immediately rebuked the disciples and encouraged the children to come to Him (Mark 10:13-16). In a message I preach titled Bestowing a Blessing, I remind parents that Jesus blessed these children in three important ways that they should also emulate:
Jesus took time for the children.
Jesus tenderly touched the children and offered loving affirmation.
Jesus used a tempered tongue with the children.
To bless your child is to speak a message that attaches high value and pictures a special future for them with an active commitment as a parent to help them fulfill it. Bestowing a Blessingelaborates on how to effectively incorporate these principles into family life. Make sure you take time to regularly bless each of your children.

Continue here....http://tellmystory.com.ng/ten-keys-to-raising-godly-children/

Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by hopefulLandlord: 5:12am On Nov 05, 2017
Interesting view
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Seun(m): 5:42am On Nov 05, 2017
From experience, I know that all of the above may not work if you are unable to provide your children with sufficient objective evidence for the existence of God and the divine inspiration of the Bible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Evablizin(f): 6:11am On Nov 05, 2017
Nice writeup.
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by DanseMacabre(m): 6:17am On Nov 05, 2017
Pikin wey go spoil go spoil.

I'm a perfect example of this: my mom 'trained me in the way of the Lord', but I started looking for answers myself and the devil found me. Plus the 'world' was too alluring to ignore. How I go come this world I no go booze, smoke igbo or fork toto God forbid bad thing.
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Queenlovely(f): 6:22am On Nov 05, 2017
A
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by DanseMacabre(m): 6:24am On Nov 05, 2017
Seun:
From experience, I know that all of the above may not work if you are unable to provide your children with objective evidence for the existence of God and the divine inspiration of the Bible.

You might not know how right you are. From experience too.
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Samsimple(m): 6:42am On Nov 05, 2017
Pikin wey won rotten go rotten... The best is to teach the child proper home training and leave the rest to God

1 Like

Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Spylord48: 8:47am On Nov 05, 2017
That was then o. Most of these things doesn't work now. Pikin wey go spoil must spoil even if you lock am for house 247
Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Seun(m): 10:52am On Nov 05, 2017
Samsimple:
Pikin wey won rotten go rotten... The best is to teach the child proper home training and leave the rest to God
I wouldn't equate 'ungodliness' with being "rotten". Many godly people are "rotten" and many 'ungodly' people are honest, disciplined, and kind.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Keys To Raising Godly Children by Missionaire: 8:44am On Feb 23, 2022
Seun:
From experience, I know that all of the above may not work if you are unable to provide your children with sufficient objective evidence for the existence of God and the divine inspiration of the Bible.

Damn right!

(1) (Reply)

SA Based Nigerian Prophet Sam Akinbodunse 2018 Prophecies  fulfilled In 24-hours / Zamani App - Nigeria's Premier Matrimonial Service On Andriod / RCCG Begins 49-day Fast January 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.