Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306270 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 12:10pm On Apr 11, 2018
Good day house. I'm trying to put things in place ahead of my resumption in June. My biggest challenge now is accommodation.
My employer won't be providing accommodation. They do have staff accommodation that is managed by another related company which is cheaper and within walking distance of my place of work. However, I cannot apply for the staff accommodation until I get some papers from my employer which can only be issued after my resumption.
I have been advised to seek temporary accommodation for about a week or two till I sort my preemployment/induction issues.
I'm quite familiar with Rightmove and Zopla but they are giving conditions that I cannot meet for now from Nigeria, like 3 months statement, deposits etc.
please what are the other options I have in getting a temporary accommodation of 2weeks Max a month aside hotels, something like budget hostels.
I don't have any friends or relatives in the area (I'm talking of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire)
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 2:25pm On Apr 11, 2018
sutelk:
Good day house. I'm trying to put things in place ahead of my resumption in June. My biggest challenge now is accommodation.
My employer won't be providing accommodation. They do have staff accommodation that is managed by another related company which is cheaper and within walking distance of my place of work. However, I cannot apply for the staff accommodation until I get some papers from my employer which can only be issued after my resumption.
I have been advised to seek temporary accommodation for about a week or two till I sort my preemployment/induction issues.
I'm quite familiar with Rightmove and Zopla but they are giving conditions that I cannot meet for now from Nigeria, like 3 months statement, deposits etc.
please what are the other options I have in getting a temporary accommodation of 2weeks Max a month aside hotels, something like budget hostels.
I don't have any friends or relatives in the area (I'm talking of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire)
Thanks.

You can find temporary, flexible acommodation on spareroom.co.uk (I've used this).

You could search for and contact a nearby Nigerian church and explain, and they could connect you with someone (I've done this).

You can also find on gumtree, but I don't recommend it unless as a last resort.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2018
sutelk:
Thanks.

The solution to your problem is Airbnb
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

I support this solution. Also note that you can always bargain with your host. They might not say yes but some do. Good luck @sultek
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 4:58pm On Apr 11, 2018
spacyzuma:

You can find temporary, flexible acommodation on spareroom.co.uk (I've used this).

You could search for and contact a nearby Nigerian church and explain, and they could connect you with someone (I've done this).

You can also find on gumtree, but I don't recommend it unless as a last resort.
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 5:00pm On Apr 11, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Thanks. will check it out
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
Airbnb is a good ooption, you can also check for hotels on booking.com, I have found it to be cheaper in some locations and also u get free breakfast for some options included.

Renting a house will be easier once u start your job and have all you bank account sorted out and you cant do that from Naija. To open a bank sef is another story entirely but I believe ur employer will help u with dt.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:53pm On Apr 11, 2018
fatima04:
Airbnb is a good ooption, you can also check for hotels on booking.com, I have found it to be cheaper in some locations and also u get free breakfast for some options included.

Renting a house will be easier once u start your job and have all you bank account sorted out and you cant do that from Naija. To open a bank sef is another story entirely but I believe ur employer will help u with dt.

Life is easier now with the proliferation of the challenger banks(google it). I just opened a new bank account with a bank called Starling bank. It is one of the best things since slice bread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:25am On Apr 12, 2018
fatima04:

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:53pm On Apr 12, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Life is easier now with the proliferation of the challenger banks(google it). I just opened a new bank account with a bank called Starling bank. It is one of the best things since slice bread.

Ehn ehn, na so u love slice bread reach grin tell us d advantage of d bank na and what made u open one.

I discovered monese which is part of d challenger banks den but decided not to open again cos of d monthly charges to run it. Didn't want to add dt to bills again when I could have a current account for free.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 2:16pm On Apr 12, 2018
fatima04:

Ehn ehn, na so u love slice bread reach grin tell us d advantage of d bank na and what made u open one.

I discovered monese which is part of d challenger banks den but decided not to open again cos of d monthly charges to run it. Didn't want to add dt to bills again when I could have a current account for free.

Come on.. I'm talking about agege sliced bread that you can dunk inside hot bournvita.

Yeah I travel to Europe a lot and every time you withdraw or use your card you get charged. So, a friend told me about these new banks.
I just picked starling bank out of about 12 of them.
The opening process was too smooth... You just upload your id and and do a 10 sec. Video via the mobile app. Then they go away to do their checks within 6hrs they opened the account with 1k overdraft... While I waited 3 days to get my shiny mastercard.

The main benefit apart from free withdrawal overseas fir me is the online real time notification.
Sometimes when you use your card in multiple places , the account balance gives you headache cos it's not updated until about 24hrs. This one is different, you see everything as you are spending.

If you lose your card, you can freeze it from the app. When you find just unfreeze.

You can lock the contactless capabilities and even request for a disposable virtual cards if you buy stuff a lot from online... This means no one can use your bank details for fraud.

Did I tell you it's very easy to set up a new payee unlike the old banks.

The interface is so user friendly, you can budget with it.

I can also open a business account without stepping into a bank.... And it's totally free to operate. What's not to like.

BTW I don't work for them oooo

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Come on.. I'm talking about agege sliced bread that you can dunk inside hot bournvita.

Yeah I travel to Europe a lot and every time you withdraw or use your card you get charged. So, a friend told me about these new banks.
The opening process was too smooth... You just upload your id and and do a 10 sec. Video via the mobile app. Then they go away to do their checks within 6hrs they opened the account with 1k overdraft... While I waited 3 days to get my shiny mastercard.

The main benefit apart from free withdrawal overseas fir me is the online real time notification.
Sometimes when you use your card in multiple places , the account balance gives you headache cos it's not updated until about 24hrs. This one is different, you see everything as you are spending.

If you lose your card, you can freeze it from the app. When you find just unfreeze.

You can lock the contactless capabilities and even request for a disposable virtual cards if you buy stuff a lot from online... This means no one can use your bank details for fraud.

I can also open a business account without stepping into a bank.... And it's totally free to operate. What's not to like.

You see why I love this thread grin New, relevant info always. Was just thinking about how to solve the bank account matter.... Thanks a lot for this.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

U should be butty now and sip tea with bread but meanwhile I feel d slicing spoils d agege effect sha.

Nice points u have made dre, they are really easy to set up and sometimes using all dis traditional bank apps can be so complicated dt I miss using my naija gt acct

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2018
Yay, I finally got my Provisional license after constant tracking on DVLA website chai.

Application was online took 3weeks in total,.immediately I applied online I was sent a form within 3 days to return with my BRP and signed by someone who has full driving license for 3yrs and can confirm my identity.

I sent back the form with first class mail cos of my BRP can't come and listen to stories dt touch, it got there barely 24hrs after and was signed for but my tracking page kept on showing "In progress : awaiting applicants return form"

Tried checking online why dis is so and discovered we plenty for the boat, DVLA Dont update until d license was issued so I just resigned to fate and waited and approximately 2weeks after d form got there it showed application complete and license issued.

Shikena grin
I can now start driving **dancing azonto

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:17pm On Apr 13, 2018
Forgot to add, had to take a new passport and decided to use dose self booth at tesco and some shops after discovering dt it's like 3 pounds cheaper grin and I was eager to test it being the bush geh dt I am.

So I sat down and followed all d on-screen instructions and voila my passport photographs in 6 places came out all for 6pounds

Pros: very easy to use once u follow the instructions
You can take up to 3 and select d best to print

Con: none really but I think not being able to cut it into 6 individual pcs. Didn't see any cutter around and no one was near me to ask. I just resorted to using my perfect scissors and blade

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:22am On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:

Drive safely dear. Congratulations!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 9:40am On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:
Forgot to add, had to take a new passport and decided to use dose self booth at tesco and some shops after discovering dt it's like 3 pounds cheaper grin and I was eager to test it being the bush geh dt I am.

So I sat down and followed all d on-screen instructions and voila my passport photographs in 6 places came out all for 6pounds

Pros: very easy to use once u follow the instructions
You can take up to 3 and select d best to print

Con: none really but I think not being able to cut it into 6 individual pcs. Didn't see any cutter around and no one was near me to ask. I just resorted to using my perfect scissors and blade

Who told you that you're allowed to drive with a provisional license?
My friend got caught twice he had 6 points before getting the full one.

The rule is that you have to put a big L in front and back of the car and be accompanied by full licence holder who has been driving for 2 years.

Now get ready for the very expensive journey of learning how to drive.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:04am On Apr 14, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Who told you that you're allowed to drive with a provisional license?
My friend got caught twice he had 6 points before getting the full one.

The rule is that you have to put a big L in front and back of the car and be accompanied by full licence holder who has been driving for 2 years.

Now get ready for the very expensive journey of learning how to drive.

Ofcourse I know now as long I have someone with a valid license of 3yrs and not less Dan 21yrs old with me (theory mode activated grin ). It's better Dan not being restricted oo.
My brother to go anywhere major is not less Dan 2hrs by bus and I don't enjoy it especially with me and my constant buggy.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:15am On Apr 14, 2018
I discovered dt having a driving license is quite impt even if u r not ready to drive yet d processes of getting one from the provisional, to theory and practise den d practiCal test can be time consuming so best to start early and by the time one is ready dre wont be any delay.

Then for someone in a construction field like mine, some recruiters are not willing to help secure a job because I don't have full UK license, thereby putting me on a wait list with consultant (office ) jobs.

Currently practising with an app I discovered " theory 4 in 1 ", it's quite good has highway code, signs, plenty hazard perception test videis and all at 4.99 quid.

Practising for this has made me to be more conscious of d road signs and markings, something I wasn't necessary aware of in naija just to enter car,watch out for danfo nd be safe.

N.b:toptest.com is also a good place to start has like 500 - 750 questions for free.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:19am On Apr 14, 2018
Adverts like dis really annoys me deceiving pple on what is not. SMH, pity pple dt can't do research nd just believe all dis mumbo- jumbo .

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:36am On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:

Ofcourse I know now as long I have someone with a valid license of 3yrs and not less Dan 21yrs old with me (theory mode activated grin ). It's better Dan not being restricted oo.
My brother to go anywhere major is not less Dan 2hrs by bus and I don't enjoy it especially with me and my constant buggy.

Ahhh I see. I thought you are not aware of the process that's why you were dancing azonto.

Anyway I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:45pm On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:
Yay, I finally got my Provisional license after constant tracking on DVLA website chai.

Application was online took 3weeks in total,.immediately I applied online I was sent a form within 3 days to return with my BRP and signed by someone who has full driving license for 3yrs and can confirm my identity.

I sent back the form with first class mail cos of my BRP can't come and listen to stories dt touch, it got there barely 24hrs after and was signed for but my tracking page kept on showing "In progress : awaiting applicants return form"

Tried checking online why dis is so and discovered we plenty for the boat, DVLA Dont update until d license was issued so I just resigned to fate and waited and approximately 2weeks after d form got there it showed application complete and license issued.

Shikena grin

Congrats Sis smiley Pls share how you were able to open a bank account. The few I've checked require utility bills etc in my name which I do not have as a current SAHM. It's as if to open current account you need to be working or have accommodation docs in your name.

How and which bank did you use pls? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sharpboyus(m): 2:53pm On Apr 14, 2018
Try NatWest. Give then your ID and NI letter. They do accept NI letter. Tell them you are new in the country

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:02pm On Apr 14, 2018
sharpboyus:
Try NatWest. Give then your ID and NI letter. They do accept NI letter. Tell them you are new in the country

Ok. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:46pm On Apr 14, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Congrats Sis smiley Pls share how you were able to open a bank account. The few I've checked require utility bills etc in my name which I do not have as a current SAHM. It's as if to open current account you need to be working or have accommodation docs in your name.

How and which bank did you use pls? Thanks.

Open an account online with Severn trent for ur water bills and in 24hrs u will get a bill for a duration. Download and print. You are good to go.

Call d bank u want and book an appt. I chose halifax initially but dey were being too slow so went with lloyds and I am quite okay with them.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:16pm On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:

Shikena grin

Oh congrats. I’m still waiting for mine but nobody signed for me, I think it’s optional or so, I can’t remember again.

I think My own is taking forever because of my name change, which is so annoying. My name on my brp is different from the name I want. I think I will just stick to my maiden name, this name change stuff is too stressful biko (especially as I changed my middle and surname- I have to keep proving both with documents! So annoying!).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 6:18pm On Apr 14, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Oh congrats. I’m still waiting for mine but nobody signed for me, I think it’s optional or so, I can’t remember again.

I think My own is taking forever because of my name change, which is so annoying. My name on my brp is different from the name I want. I think I will just stick to my maiden name, this name change stuff is too stressful biko (especially as I changed my middle and surname- I have to keep proving both with documents! So annoying!).

Good day ma, I'm sorry for derailing, I sent you a pm. Can you please reply?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:03pm On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:

Open an account online with Severn trent for ur water bills and in 24hrs u will get a bill for a duration. Download and print. You are good to go.

Call d bank u want and book an appt. I chose halifax initially but dey were being too slow so went with lloyds and I am quite okay with them.

Hmmm! A bottle of cold yummy smoothie for you plix. With Gas meat. Thanks a lot Hun.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2018
fatima04:

But wait oh! Is it Severn Trent that serves the entire UK&Scotland or I should find for my side?
Thank you.

Edited to say that the company covers only a certain area. Our water bill I think is included in our council tax bill so il have to wait. sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:27pm On Apr 14, 2018
Aphrodite007:

I feel you oo, Dt name change is stressful abeg additional verification all.d way. Don't worry it will be here soon

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:29pm On Apr 14, 2018
Mamatukwas:

But wait oh! Is it Severn Trent that serves the entire UK&Scotland or I should find for my side?
Thank you.

Edited to say that the company covers only a certain area. Our water bill I think is included in our council tax bill so il have to wait. sad

I think so, fortunately water sector has not been deregulated but u can find out urself, chat dem up via live chat dey r very efficient.
Meanwhile I doubt water will be part of council tax sha but anyway it's scotland it could be different
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by skylane: 11:48am On Apr 15, 2018
house please am currently a veterinary medicine student in a nija uni am just
planninG my future . please how can i practice the proffession there.in uk after graduation possibly through migration

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.