Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (421) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1313269 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:50am On Nov 03, 2020
Chukwuka16:

Justwise, one of the beautiful thing about life is HINDSIGHT.

Nairaland serves as a diary for me where I actually assess my thinking at different stages of my life and contrast it with the prevailing political economy. That is why I write and post on Nairaland. I started this during my PhD and it was here on this platform that I met my wife! In the future, I will compile my Nairaland posts as part of my autobiography.

I will be insincere to actually advise anyone now with Nigeria's climate to remain back there if one is YOUNG and not living the best life. If I have turnover of £1m annually from my Nigeria business, Nigeria will be my defacto home - until then, I keep working.

Don't be too quick to take my posts out of contest, read through the write up and understand where I'm coming from. The UK has given my some excellent platforms that have created opportunities for me in recent times. I am everyday discovering that new talents that I never knew I had. That is what the RIGHT environment does.

You snatched our wife....... Who is this lucky lady.......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:59am On Nov 03, 2020
Chukwuka16:

Justwise, one of the beautiful thing about life is HINDSIGHT.

Nairaland serves as a diary for me where I actually assess my thinking at different stages of my life and contrast it with the prevailing political economy. That is why I write and post on Nairaland. I started this during my PhD and it was here on this platform that I met my wife! In the future, I will compile my Nairaland posts as part of my autobiography.

I will be insincere to actually advise anyone now with Nigeria's climate to remain back there if one is YOUNG and not living the best life. If I have turnover of £1m annually from my Nigeria business, Nigeria will be my defacto home - until then, I keep working.

Don't be too quick to take my posts out of contest, read through the write up and understand where I'm coming from. The UK has given my some excellent platforms that have created opportunities for me in recent times. I am everyday discovering that new talents that I never knew I had. That is what the RIGHT environment does.

Shocking that Is coming from the same person who just did exactly that.

How many people were beheaded in France alone in the last two weeks?

In London alone how many people were killed by knife in the last one year?

In America how many blacks were shot dead by police alone?

In Vienna today how many were shot dead?

Despite all these we are still travelling to those countries in numbers.

If any of these happened in Nigeria those countries will be sending travel alarm warning to their citizens to avoid travelling to Nigeria.

Is crime a problem in Nigeria? Of course yes but let stop over exaggerating issues and put things in perceptive.

SARS did not start killing Nigerians last month or even last year, so your sudden change of tune can only be attributed to mood swings.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:48am On Nov 03, 2020
Timeout Everyone! It’s a brand new day! Good morning kiss

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:50am On Nov 03, 2020
Chukwuka16:

There is no uncertainty in the UK job market. You are talking of uncertainty - THINK NIGERIA (that's worse than uncertain). Don't be too fixated with the stats and all. There is more behind the scene than meets the eye. The hysteria is usually pushed by the media to influence stock market. Also, there will always be expendables in any crisis - that's life!

In this pandemic I've moved from Tier 2 to Tier 2 to Global Talent Visa. My wife's joined me and I've changed accommodation. The only inconvenience I have faced is travelling for biometrics on both occasions as I needed my BRP urgently. I worked in a HEI in the Humber region for 4 months in this pandemic before resigning without stepping foot there. I've resumed a new job in another HEI and won't be stepping foot there till way into Q2 next year when the dust has settled. I still run my businesses both here and in Nigeria.

The UK will be releasing another set of bailouts to SMEs and individuals in the coming days/months to keep the economy afloat. The furlough scheme has helped countless Nigerians on Tier 2 visa still remain in their jobs. Students in the UK can now work unlimited hours in NHS related jobs (care jobs) which have high vacancies. Amazon continues to open warehouses and is need of huge number of staff. IT jobs are picking up pace and people are changing career faster than a blink. What is differentiating peoples experiences during this pandemic is KNOWLEDGE. Those who know are making a killing.

It is in this same pandemic that consultants from BCG are collecting over £6K per day and SMEs are collecting government contract left, right and centre. Let the students come in here. Chaos is always the best time to exploit opportunities. The UK MUST spend its way out of this pandemic. They have just started.

I do not hold forte for Justwise, however, we must learn to be REALISTIC. Nigeria is not offering HOPE to YOUNG people and if coming here even if it is for 3 years (study + 2 years PSW) is what will give them some semblance of sanity, let them come. HOPE is what keeps us living. If Nigeria can't afford you that and you can emigrate for studies, please "Japa".

Lastly, time is very important. At a certain age in life, some opportunities become meaningless. What's the excitement of owning a new car at 60 years or having a masters at 50? Rather than wasting away in Nigeria, let those folks emigrate and "struggle" in a country that has safety nets and offers them HOPE.

I like the way your mind works. I shall be sending you a PM biko. Good morning.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Wonuola111(f): 11:32am On Nov 03, 2020
Good afternoon sir
Pls sir I av no any traveling experience before and I want to apply for my Visa I av my passport pls I need ur hlp on how I can apply for it sir is it difficult to get d Visa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by pyha: 11:40am On Nov 03, 2020
Hello and Good morning all!

I am a dual citizen (Nigeria and EU). I plan to move to the Uk in a matter of weeks (3 weeks top). I have never been to the Uk but I have applied for a few jobs, I don't know how they will turn out but I am hopeful. I need a lot of advice from you all. I have two degrees from Europe (A B.B.A. and an MSc (Service Innovation and Management). I want to settle in as quickly as possible.

Here are my questions:
1. Where can I find affordable housing? Since I don't have a job at the moment my budget is roughly 400 pounds a month.

2. What is the advice on jobs? I can work immediately since I am an EU citizen. Where do I apply for jobs (entry level at this point) or get a job that might not need qualifications but can allow me earn well in the short term.

3. What do I need to know or do to settle in to the Uk as efficiently as possible? E.g. phone contracts, NHS, etc.

These are some of the questions I have for now. Looking forward to reading your answers.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I need all the assistance I can get.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 11:45am On Nov 03, 2020
Wonuola111:
Good afternoon sir
Pls sir I av no any traveling experience before and I want to apply for my Visa I av my passport pls I need ur hlp on how I can apply for it sir is it difficult to get d Visa
What country do you intend travelling to ?
What’s your purpose for travelling?
What type of visa do you intend to applying for ?
Give more details please

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by drnoel: 12:53pm On Nov 03, 2020
pyha:

I am a dual citizen (Nigeria and EU). I plan to move to the Uk in a matter of weeks (3 weeks top). I have never been to the Uk but I have applied for a few jobs, I don't know how they will turn out but I am hopeful. I need a lot of advice from you all. I have two degrees from Europe (A B.B.A. and an MSc (Service Innovation and Management). I want to settle in as quickly as possible.

Here are my questions:
1. Where can I find affordable housing? Since I don't have a job at the moment my budget is roughly 400 pounds a month.

2. What is the advice on jobs? I can work immediately since I am an EU citizen. Where do I apply for jobs (entry level at this point) or get a job that might not need qualifications but can allow me earn well in the short term.

3. What do I need to know or do to settle in to the Uk as efficiently as possible? E.g. phone contracts, NHS, etc.

These are some of the questions I have for now. Looking forward to reading your answers.

Thanks a lot!

Am not in the UK but the question should be, why the rush to move to the UK at this time of the pandemic. I mean, since u have an EU citizenship. Why not take ur time to plan since u don't currently have a job offer in the UK, get ur research going before the movement.
Many Nigerians are fond of telling others to move to the UK.
I also have dual citizenship (EU and Naija) and my close friends have been pestering me for ages to move to the UK. I mean, am I just going to stand up one day and go there? Anyways, everyone's situation are different and I apologize for my outburst. But I think one should carefully observe ones situation before action.
On another note, I am also actually quite interested in the answers u get. So UK people pls answer this comment. Also it may be interesting to know about NHS jobs too.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Dfazz: 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2020
Please I need to exchange Naira for Pounds oooo, if you have the connect kindly assist
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2020
pyha:

Here are my questions:

Thanks a lot!

Since you are EU, you do realise the Uk just pulled out of teh EU
meaning all those free movement vanished
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 1:00pm On Nov 03, 2020
drnoel:

Am not in the UK but the question should be, why the rush to move to the UK at this time of the pandemic. I mean, since u have an EU citizenship. Why not take ur time to plan since u don't currently have a job offer in the UK, get ur research going before the movement.
I also have dual citizenship (EU and Naija) and my close friends have been pestering me for ages to move to the UK. I mean, am I just going to stand up one day and go there? Anyways, everyone's situation are different and I apologize for my outburst. But I think one should carefully observe ones situation before action.
On another note, I am also actually quite interested in the answers u get. So UK people pls answer this comment. Also it may be interesting to know about NHS jobs too.
regards the NHS, i think if you already have a Nursing Qulaification or even a care qualification you are good to go, you can apply direct from the Eu via an agency or a nursing home.However I know its a hard task for speakers of other language to get academic qualifications in paper cos of language barrier,
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:38pm On Nov 03, 2020
drnoel:

The deadline is fast approaching might be a reason why him or her is in a rush .... although yes you need proper planning to relocate to a country especially if you dont have a support system there

These deadline were set before pandemic. With pandemic now the rush to move anywhere be as e get .who knows maybe they will extend some of these deadlines

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2020
Chukwuka16:
Dear All,
. Days ago, my wife and I felt we should experiment pounded yam (we can't come and go and "keel" ourselves) - time was 10pm. All she needed to do was microwave soup, put the yam in the pot to boil, dump it in the blender and by 10.50pm we were eating pounded yam with egusi soup.

Some people are so creative ... this caught my eyes yesterday and went to check it out on Google. Interesting to note a blender can be used .

With some of the yam flour / poundo you see here it not actually yam but a mixture of many things.... potatoes, rice etc. Only God knows what you are actually eating . I think it's only Ola ola that actually yam on the packet label . Good to know person fit use yam and blender

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2020
Good to make the switch from the student thread to this one.
In this UK ehn... we die there!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2020
shocked
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:50pm On Nov 03, 2020
Na Wa Oh! Warrisgoing on here really?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 5:04pm On Nov 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Some people are so creative ... this caught my eyes yesterday and went to check it out on Google. Interesting to note a blender can be used .

With some of the yam flour / poundo you see here it not actually yam but a mixture of many things.... potatoes, rice etc. Only God knows what you are actually eating . I think it's only Ola ola that actually yam on the packet label . Good to know person fit use yam and blender

If you want to try this, use your food processor, dough tool and thank me later wink

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 5:20pm On Nov 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

It is even better than original pounded yam

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 5:32pm On Nov 03, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

It is even better than original pounded yam

Howwww Be calming down please smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:35pm On Nov 03, 2020
Mamatukwas:

Howwww Be calming down please smiley
Have u got small Naira ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by toyclicks: 5:59pm On Nov 03, 2020
Pls I am trying to apply for part time job in the Uk as a tier 4 student

Does it make sense to fill in my Nigerian work experience? abi it doesn't count here.

Biko I need answers ooo. I dey job search site now

Also, I am yet to get my NI though the process has been started. filled the form and sent it back
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2020
toyclicks:

Does it make sense to fill in my Nigerian work experience? abi it doesn't count here.

You can add it but be sure you can get reference because recent jobs they can ask for reference and if the naija contact or company doesnt respond that will delay your resumption or they wont allow u to start working.

Since this is student jobs which is 20 hours such as care, warehouse security customer service etc , if it relevant work experience to what you are applying , for sure it good to include .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:16pm On Nov 03, 2020
toyclicks:

Why wouldn't you fill in your [presumably relevant] Nigerian work experience?
They use all that "British"/"Canadian" experience thing to filter out people they don't want, not that any experience not acquired here is useless. State what you can do. Sell yourself properly.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2020
wallg123:

Have u got small Naira ?

I have.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2020
Mamatukwas:

I have.
Good stuff. I’ve sent you an email request please respond.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 6:47pm On Nov 03, 2020
The price of yam won’t let me attempt this. 1 small tuber of yam for £3. Omo I pick race

LagosismyHome:

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.