Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302567 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4675550/get-out-nigeria-want-get

According to the American man, all he has heard about Nigeria is that 'if you don't open up your pocket and pay everyone from the lowest to the highest, you don't get anything done'. He concluded his speech by stating that ' as an intelligent person, you need to get out of Nigeria if you want to get ahead, because the powers that be wants to hold everybody down; especially women and intelligent people'.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tennyalad(m): 10:46pm On Aug 15, 2018
beyondbasicsng:
Haha many thanks @lexusgs430
It's for a friend who is moving next month with her family who was hoping to get a job. Although she's just about 4 months gone and most likely not won't show until a few weeks after they arrive. Still not advisable to look for work?

Generally, you have to be in employment for at least six months before giving birth. Anything less than that means you won't be entitled to any maternity leave benefit.

In regards to looking for a job it depends on the kind of job, for most roles, hiring someone that would leave in 3 months time, won't be worth the hassle but as Lexusgs430 said she can get a zero hour contract job if they really need the extra income, but jobs like that are not usually pregnancy friendly.

Best bet is to consider it early maternity leave and enjoy her time off.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zibe(m): 7:58am On Aug 16, 2018
Hi Guys, I would be moving to the UK on a tier 2 work visa by next week. I have been given bank options by my employer but not sure about which bank would be better for a salary account? The options are below

HSBC
Natwest
Lloyds Bank
Barclays
HBOS

Please can someone help with which would be best to bank with? especially when it comes to charges and interest on savings/invetsments.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:16am On Aug 16, 2018
zibe:
Hi Guys, I would be moving to the UK on a tier 2 work visa by next week. I have been given bank options by my employer but not sure about which bank would be better for a salary account? The options are below

HSBC
Natwest
Lloyds Bank
Barclays
HBOS

Please can someone help with which would be best to bank with? especially when it comes to charges and interest on savings/invetsments.

Thank you

Congratulations, all of them are basically the same, though halifax is good because of future mortgage and all.

I will suggest HSBC because they have a current account for new start that gives you 1k overdraft and CC with 1500limit and I believe with your employers influence you should get this.

This will help you build your credit history easily and early.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:26am On Aug 16, 2018
zibe:

HSBC
Natwest
Lloyds Bank
Barclays
HBOS

Thank you

Just put all in an envelope, blindfold yourself and pick one......

They are all the same, just bearing different names......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:28am On Aug 16, 2018
fatima04:

Congratulations, all of them are basically the same, though halifax is good because of future mortgage and all.

I will suggest HSBC because they have a current account for new start that gives you 1k overdraft and CC with 1500limit and I believe with your employers influence you should get this.

Halifax for future mortgage? You remember Halifax is no longer a building society? All the banks listed offers mortgage services and over a thousand more, which could be sourced through a broker.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:29am On Aug 16, 2018
Back to my TV license bugbear...... BBC is also about to pay millions of £ to Cliff Richards (they are no longer appealing the ruling).....

All this payouts, are funded by your TV licence.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zibe(m): 2:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Just put all in an envelope, blindfold yourself and pick one......

They are all the same, just bearing different names......

LOL way to go. grin grin .thanks though
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zibe(m): 2:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
fatima04:

Thanks a lot for the info.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:29am On Aug 17, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Back to my TV license bugbear...... BBC is also about to pay millions of £ to Cliff Richards (they are no longer appealing the ruling).....

All this payouts, are funded by your TV licence.......

They wronged him so they have got to pay for it and it’s under a million. Also the NHS, police and the councils pay out millions of pounds in compensations and these are our taxes. It is what it is .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:42am On Aug 17, 2018
marylandcakes:

They wronged him so they have got to pay for it and it’s under a million. Also the NHS, police and the councils pay out millions of pounds in compensations and these are our taxes. It is what it is .

Under a million, you must be joking.......

BBC agreed to pay his legal cost of £850,000. This is only legal cost, we have not talked about all the compensation + libel damage payout..... TV licence payers owes him millions.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:51am On Aug 17, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Under a million, you must be joking.......

BBC agreed to pay his legal cost of £850,000. This is only legal cost, we have not talked about all the compensation + libel damage payout..... TV licence payers owes him millions.......

Ooh that’s true, all I remember is that he was awarded £210,000 in damages, I had forgotten the £810,000 for legal costs. At the end of the day the only winners here are the lawyers. That’s why it’s always better to settle out of court.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:55am On Aug 17, 2018
marylandcakes:

Ooh that’s true, all I remember is that he was awarded £210,000 in damages, I had forgotten the £810,000 for legal costs. At the end of the day the only winners here are the lawyers. That’s why it’s always better to settle out of court.

BBC thought they could bully their way out.... Indeed, they could have just settled out of court. And they have set a bad precedent...... But a bitter lesson to all.....

If their money was got via commercial ventures, they might have thought better... But it's easier to spend free money lavishly....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:58am On Aug 17, 2018
Lexusgs430:

BBC thought they could bully their way out.... Indeed, they could have just settled out of court. And they have set a bad precedent...... But a bitter lesson to all.....

If their money was got via commercial ventures, they might have thought better... But it's easier to spend free money lavishly....

They think they are untouchable.. I believe he received an apology from the met police but the bbc refused to apologise.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:04am On Aug 17, 2018
marylandcakes:

They think they are untouchable.. I believe he received an apology from the met police but the bbc refused to apologise.

Very true.... They wanted to have their day in court, they did and lost. They intended to appeal the decision, a decision they have back tracked from, because the bill would simply even get much bigger......

Long and Short.... Cliff Richard don hammer... Don't forget at the time of the accusation, he was about going on a world sold out tour, which he had to cancel (BBC must also pay for this too).......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2018
marylandcakes:

The BBC did apologize actually and the initial case was against South Yorkshire police and the BBC but as we know, the police settled out of court, paying him £400k.
On the lighter side, I don't quite agree with oga Lexusgs430 final submission that Sir Richard has hammered. I mean, what is a few million pounds to an OBE who is right up there after the Beatles and maybe Elvis Presley in UK music. Baba isn't liked by many and I want to believe he has more enemies than friends in the UK Music Industry.
Me thinks he initiated the case just to redeem his battered image. He could as well give out the payout in one philanthropic act grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2018
Frenchfriez:

The BBC did apologize actually and the initial case was against South Yorkshire police and the BBC but as we know, the police settled out of court, paying him £400k.
On the lighter side, I don't quite agree with oga Lexusgs430 final submission that Sir Richard has hammered. I mean, what is a few million pounds to an OBE who is right up there after the Beatles and maybe Elvis Presley in UK music. Baba isn't liked by many and I want to believe he has more enemies than friends in the UK Music Industry.
Me thinks he initiated the case just to redeem his battered image. He could as well give out the payout in one philanthropic act grin

I agree with some, not all of your position. £400K + £800K + more millions outstanding... If this is not hammering to you, pls come and adopt me....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 18, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I agree with some, not all of your position. £400K + £800K + more millions outstanding... If this is not hammering to you, pls come and adopt me....
Well, I was looking at it in context. Someone who already has millions upon millions wouldn't sh..it his pants if he wins a coupla millions grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:26pm On Aug 18, 2018
Frenchfriez:

Well, I was looking at it in context. Someone who already has millions upon millions would sh..it his pants if he wins a coupla millions grin

Ever heard of the saying, money no dey do moneybag?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:58am On Aug 21, 2018
Hi Guys,

Experienced UK drivers/car owners in the house, pls help me.

Given the choice of a Citroen C4 or a Vauxhall Corsa which would you pick and why? Fairly used version.

If neither, why and which other car brand might you recommend.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2018
Mamatukwas:
Hi Guys,

Experienced UK drivers/car owners in the house, pls help me.

Given the choice of a Citroen C4 or a Vauxhall Corsa which would you pick and why? Fairly used version.

If neither, why and which other car brand might you recommend.

Thank you.

None of the above.
For me, they are unreliable.

Toyota, Honda seem to suit your class of vehicle choice here...if you are concerned about reliability

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:

None of the above.

Toyota, Honda seem to suit your class of vehicle choice here...if you are concerned about reliability

I agree with you , I wouldn't go for any of those cars.

You can add VW to your list of reliable cars I will go for.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:07pm On Aug 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:

None of the above.

Wawu shocked Ok. Yeah I’d prefer to buy a car and not be worried about always fixing... asper 2nd hams tins. Ok will look into what’s available in the brands u mentioned given my budget. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:07pm On Aug 21, 2018
Rubyventures:

I agree with you , I wouldn't go for any of those cars.

You can add VW to your list of reliable cars I will go for.

Ok. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:

None of the above.

This is just naija mentality... If you do your due diligence before buying any car and with regular maintenance, mot et al, the car will last. Is it not to get from A to B?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

This is just naija mentality... If you do your due diligence before buying any car and with regular maintenance, mot et al, the car will last. Is it not to get from A to B?

In my case very short A to B sef. School runs mostly.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Recently while looking for a car, I saw one with low mileage and looked decent but a look at the MOT records showed that it had a particular issue over several years. It'd get fixed and have the same issue at the the next MOT. And I believe it was a Vauxuall or Skoda. Some models have reliability issues. Also, the resell value is not there.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:10pm On Aug 21, 2018
dustydee:

Recently while looking for a car, I saw one with low mileage and looked decent but a look at the MOT records showed that it had a particular issue over several years. It'd get fixed and have the same issue at the the next MOT. And I believe it was a Vauxuall or Skoda. Some models have reliability issues. Also, the resell value is not there.

I know there are odd cases like that...but you can't just be buying Honda and Toyota as if they are the only reliable cars. My BMW was recalled because they realised there was a factory defect and they sorted it.
If you're buying a small car like that the resell value should be zilch.

Mamatukwas:

Buy any car you like just make sure everything is fine before buying and get a AA roadside subscription like 50 quid per year. If you break down by the roadside they will come and pick you. No car is 100% reliable

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 3:30pm On Aug 21, 2018
my driving instructor had an 08 Astra Vauxhaul, he was always taking it to the shop for one thing or the other...if you don't mind not having a 100% reliable car, Toyotas are undeniably reliable, i hate them, but that's a fact

Honda civics are also reliable, but a bit expensive, you can get a cheap bmw or mercedes, but do so at your own risk

Volvos are also reliable, but bland.

Audis....like german cars have a high maintenance when they break down...but i guess that's where your warranty subscription comes in, but might disrupt your daily runs when you can't use the car.

i don't really gbadun the other mushroom car brands, or not experienced enough.
wonlasewonimi:

lol....Vauxhaul and Citroen....why don't you just google it yourself. Besides...look at how many of the old ones, ie...the 2000 model ones are still on the roads, then compare with the ones i mentioned.

I watch a lot of car programs to know what and what, its not about 9ja mentality...its just about knowing, and i didnt mention any luxury brands either, because obviously, the poster can't yet afford that! or not yet interested in premium brands
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:33pm On Aug 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:
I know there are odd cases like that...but you can't just be buying Honda and Toyota as if they are the only reliable cars. My BMW was recalled because they realised there was a factory defect and they sorted it.
If you're buying a small car like that the resell value should be zilch.
True, I wanted a Honda but didn't find one and they are not the most popular brand here. I got a Renault instead. Peugeots are good too and uite popular.

Mamatukwas:

In that case, buy any suitable car. Ford focus is another rugged car you can check out. Be mindful of the road tax. There is no need paying over the top road tax.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Wawu shocked Ok. Yeah I’d prefer to buy a car and not be worried about always fixing... asper 2nd hams tins. Ok will look into what’s available in the brands u mentioned given my budget. Thanks.

you can add lexus to that list...Lexus IS200 has good deals on autotrader and has a bit of luxury rep too. I didnt mention volkswagen because they are priced expensive and prone to dodgy minor electrical faults....I don't even pay any 50 quid for my IS200 daily driver like bmw boss, after all its to get me from A to B, my bank account comes with free car recovery and my old 2004 lexus hasn't had a bad day yet
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:
my driving instructor had an 08 Astra Vauxhaul, he was always taking it to the shop for one thing or the other...if you don't mind not having a 100% reliable car, Toyotas are undeniably reliable, i hate them, but that's a fact

Honda civics are also reliable, but a bit expensive, you can get a cheap bmw or mercedes, but do so at your own risk

Volvos are also reliable, but bland.

Audis....like german cars have a high maintenance when they break down...but i guess that's where your warranty subscription comes in, but might disrupt your daily runs when you can't use the car.

i don't really gbadun the other mushroom car brands, or not experienced enough.

lol....Vauxhaul and Citroen....why don't you just google it yourself. Besides...look at how many of the old ones, ie...the 2000 model ones are still on the roads, then compare with the ones i mentioned.

I watch a lot of car programs to know what and what, its not about 9ja mentality...its just about knowing, and i didnt mention any luxury brands either, because obviously, the poster can't yet afford that! or not yet interested in premium brands

Abeg, if you like watch car shows from today till eternity and read reviews if a car is going to give you problems, you won't miss it.

Who is talking about luxury brand? The BMW that they recalled was 3 series 2003...bought for 1300pounds.

I won't even advice anyone to touch a car registered before 2006.

DaveChapelle:

you can add lexus to that list...Lexus IS200 has good deals on autotrader and has a bit of luxury rep too. I didnt mention volkswagen because they are priced expensive and prone to dodgy minor electrical faults....I don't even pay any 50 quid for my IS200 daily driver like bmw boss, after all its to get me from A to B, my bank account comes with free car recovery and my old 2004 lexus hasn't had a bad day yet

The road tax on lexus that is not hybrid is too high and it drinks fuel like a drunkard.
How much is 50 per year to get you out of shitty situation? Not everyone live the Jet-set lifestyle of having a bank account come with perks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.