Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Is Jesus God? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jesus God? (78892 Views)

They Made Jesus God For Christians! / Is Jesus God or Equal to God? / Is Jesus God?(divine Ranking) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 4:55pm On Nov 11, 2017
Asking for a 'yes' or 'no' response is not a good way to handle the word of God. One of the reasons is that people would come up with bait questions to clench the Bible's viewpoint in a gorge. Jesus as our exemplary proved a way of reasoning, reference to the written words and illustration to be very effective. You know very well, JW do not dwell on questions in that form but we always try to source the Bible's viewpoint. I have answered these questions before but you seem to be gunning for something and I know the target.

Is the "us" there "God"?
The Bible never said that the "us" was God. The Bible says that God said, "let us".

man himself is a spirit,
The Bible never said the above. Neither does James 2:26 corroborate that.

The Mighty God
Isaiah 9:6 called Jesus mighty God but didn't use the article "The" as above.
joshnes:
lovingJehovah you didn't answer me oh, you explained yourself without even giving an answer. Is the "us" there "God"? God is a spirit, man himself is a spirit, this body is a mere container of the spirit, when the spirit leaves, death occurs (James 2:26). I don't expect an atheist to understand anything about creation, except the Spirit of God helps him to. Do you agree Jesus is The Mighty God? Please answer my questions with a "yes" or with a "no".
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 5:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely. I have been saying that from the get-go. You may read it in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
The question for you now is, 1 Corinthians 8:6 "there is actually "to us" one God, the Father..." Are you part of the "us" mentioned here?

Another word you need to look out for in that verse is 'begotten'. Think about that before rejoicing.
Ferisidowu:
wow that means there are gods together with God
Re: Is Jesus God? by rhemitee: 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2017
Jacksonville:
The bible is complete, did I dispute that? ... Do you know that it was through revelations the apostles and prophets wrote them? Do you know that Paul was well learned in the Law and teachings of Christ, but why did he emphasize on revelations? We have the Holy Spirit to give us this revelations of Christ in our time. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will come to teach us all truth. If I may ask, what is this truth that we don't have yet? It's not my words but the Jesus's...

John16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth : for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

@The emboldened the Holy Spirit will speak to us... Isn't that a revelation? Or Jesus didn't mean it.. He will show us.. What is there to show us if we don't know it already?
2Corinthians 12:1 it is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

Same Paul an apostle of Christ prayed for the Church of Ephesus for God's spirit to be poured upon his people in wisdom and revelatory knowledge of him so they can serve him better.... Without this spiritual aid you will serve God like the people of the law who served because it was like a duty or custom.. But in revelation you serve because you have a personal relationship with him. He speaks and you hear him. (John10:27) " My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me"

Ephesians 1:16-17.
16.Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
[17] That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

I'm not mincing words here... It's the scripture..

Galatians 1:11-12.
11.But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

[12] For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Take note of the emboldened. He didn't say doctrine but revelations of Christ... It's scriptural..
God is not a one pattern God he works in dimensions you can't fathom. When I said one doctrine I know what I meant. There are spirits that are not of God roaming about indoctrinating the body with false teachings... The spirit of God comes to unite and not divide.

God doesn't lie. So when a denomination says "communion is not good" but another says "it is. We do it in remembrance of Christ as the Lord commands" etc .. Now tell me, who is deceiving who, is it the spirit of God? The spirit of God is one and true, it doesn't divide, confuses or segregates...

That verse john 16:13 is a prophecy about the coming of the last prophet. Muhammad( pbuh). What he hear he shall say.. And Guide u to the teaching of God..pls learn about Islam. It might do u good. FALSEHOOD IS BOUND TO PERISH.

Re: Is Jesus God? by joshnes(m): 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2017
lovingJehovah:
Asking for a 'yes' or 'no' response is not a good way to handle the word of God. One of the reasons is that people would come up with bait questions to clench the Bible's viewpoint in a gorge. Jesus as our exemplary proved a way of reasoning, reference to the written words and illustration to be very effective. You know very well, JW do not dwell on questions in that form but we always try to source the Bible's viewpoint. I have answered these questions before but you seem to be gunning for something and I know the target.

Is the "us" there "God"?
The Bible never said that the "us" was God. The Bible says that God said, "let us".

man himself is a spirit,
The Bible never said the above. Neither does James 2:26 corroborate that.

[b]The [/b]Mighty God
Isaiah 9:6 called Jesus mighty God but didn't use the article "The" as above.
Ok.
Re: Is Jesus God? by SAVIOURJESUS: 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2017
SAVIOURJESUS:
@ op
you said Jesus is a God and not God.what is the difference?
how many Gods do we now have?
Is Jesus a true God or a false God?
give straight answers.
Loving God attend to this question.
Re: Is Jesus God? by achorladey: 10:23pm On Nov 11, 2017
SAVIOURJESUS:
Loving God attend to this question.
I am tempted to say this, how I wish you can forward this same question to Jesus who said this in John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
When Jesus made this statement, did he see himself as a liar or speaking the truth?
And...... Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Jesus must be in the best possible place to answer this question. What a question Looooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Jesus God? by achorladey: 10:39pm On Nov 11, 2017
Ferisidowu:
OK but you didn't answer my question. (the one I asked at the end of the post you mentioned)

Sorry for not attending to your post earlier, but I am happy lovingjehovah had given you insight into some of the things you seek clarification for. I found it interesting that the Op's last response to some of your questions centred on the word "begotten". That word is contained in the my response to your post initially(John 3:16). Bible verses and pages needed not to be abused. Making very good use of one or two can give us a better understanding of what we seek. The new question now is Jesus a begotten god or not? If we are to take into consideration Isaiah 9:6 as well don't the word a "for unto us a child is born" that sense of begotten is highlighted here as well.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 2:50am On Nov 12, 2017
Thank you for the honor to answer these questions from your perspicacious mind.
The Bible made it clear that anything can be a god. Whatever you give your mind and devotion to becomes your god Philippians 3:19.

Jesus was a far superior spirit creature before stooping to the low class by becoming a man. If Jesus wanted to be worshipped as a God, he would have had it all. But, no! Jesus said in Matthew 4:10 It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is 'to him alone' you must render sacred service'.

you said Jesus is a God and not God.what is the difference?
I did not say but the Bible clearly says in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 "there are 'gods'...yet 'to us' there is one God the Father..."

Are you a part of the 'us' mentioned above?

Jesus was called mighty God but there is one called "The" ALmighty God. There is always a God placed above Jesus. Colossians 1:15 says that Jesus was created by Jehovah. Jehovah was never created by anyone but he is the sovereign of the universe. 1 Corinthians 11:3 says that God is the head of Jesus. Jesus himself said that Jehovah is greater than him John 14:28

In furtherance, Jesus himself called Jehovah the only true God in John 17:3. It is not my word. You may say Jesus said in the Bible...

Moreover, 1 Timothy 2:5 says For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus

To muffle the controversy and heresy that abound today, Jesus said the words in John 20:17 ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.
The above was Jesus speaking the words from his own mouth.

Will you accept his word above heretics and philosophers? Does he deserve the doubt and questioning for telling us who truly our God is?

It does not matter what you have been told for years, what matters is the truth. The truth can only be found in the Bible. Anyone giving you a straight answer without referencing the Bible might be leading you astray with empty words of mouth.

A child's heart becomes edgy as soon as he hears that there is another man who is his biological father even though he had been lied to all his life and he goes out in search of him to have a closure.

Do you feel edgy to know the true God, Jehovah?
SAVIOURJESUS:
Loving God attend to this question. you said Jesus is a God and not God. what is the difference?
how many Gods do we now have?
Is Jesus a true God or a false God?
give straight answers.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 12, 2017
achorladey:

Sorry for not attending to your post earlier, but I am happy lovingjehovah had given you insight into some of the things you seek clarification for. I found it interesting that the Op's last response to some of your questions centred on the word "begotten". That word is contained in the my response to your post initially(John 3:16). Bible verses and pages needed not to be abused. Making very good use of one or two can give us a better understanding of what we seek. The new question now is Jesus a begotten god or not? If we are to take into consideration Isaiah 9:6 as well don't the word a "for unto us a child is born" that sense of begotten is highlighted here as well.

oh!!! but then, no such as A" begotten god ".... it's "the"begotten God or how many begotten SONS did God have?

BESIDES young man who created all things??
Re: Is Jesus God? by olamkas: 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2017
lovingJehovah:
The Bible does not cause any confusion. The confusion stems from the Devil. There are many heretics teaching falsehood about God and they have spread the falsehood around the world for centuries.
John 17:3 Jesus himself referred to his father as the ONLY TRUE GOD.
Let me put it this way. if I meet you in person and you tell me about your family. In your words, you confess to me that your father is the man of the house. Then, I go about telling people that you are also the man of the house because you are a male child. That would be disrespectful to your father if he gets to hear such stories spread about in the city because he birthed and provides for you. He gave you authority over his property and business. That does not equal you to your father. You remain a son and not a coequal.
The truth is, Jesus in John 20:17 told everyone who has access to read or hear the Bible's message that Jehovah is his father and God. He proceeded by saying that the same God (that he called God to anyone who reads and hears the words that he spoke) is his(Jesus') God in turn. Fast-forward about 2000 years after, people are spreading falsehood that Jesus lied to us. That he(Jesus) is the man that he(Jesus) called his God while he was with them. that is it the same person and also a coequal. Is it logical for someone to be your God and at the same time be your father and your coequal? It would have been an expensive prank to play.
God is not a God of confusion. The idea is they are trying too hard to co-equalise God and Jesus. I guarantee you that it doesn't end there. If you fall for that, remember that another entity is on the line to be co-equaled. We are only talking about God and Jesus here and you can imagine the controversy and outright rejection of Jesus' words by people who claim that Jesus is their God. There is a dogma of the godhead and as soon as they whoosh you by co-equaling God and Jesus, the holy spirit becomes another God that must be added to complete that doctrine.
This is very unbiblical. The Bible clearly states in 1 Corinthians 8:6 that there are other gods but "to us" there is only one God, Jehovah, and one Lord, Jesus. You may wonder, when the Bible says "to us", do these people arguing to deify Jesus fall under "to us" or not?
Jehovah is THE ONLY TRUE GOD - Jesus words in John 17:3
Jesus is our Lord and mediator - 1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Timothy 2:5

I want to digress a little from the main topic on purpose, my question to you or anybody now is,in which hour was Jesus crucified?
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
It is very odd and disrespectful for a Muslim to jump on a thread opened for Christians to cause a digression. You may open a thread and get Muslim scholars to debate with you on your religious subjects. You simply want to cause a confusion here and that is an Ishmaelite attitude.
olamkas:

I want to digress a little from the main topic on purpose, my question to you or anybody now is,in which hour was Jesus crucified?
Re: Is Jesus God? by SAVIOURJESUS: 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2017
achorladey:

I am tempted to say this, how I wish you can forward this same question to Jesus who said this in John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
When Jesus made this statement, did he see himself as a liar or speaking the truth?
And...... Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Jesus must be in the best possible place to answer this question. What a question Looooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u quoted me without answering my questions.I should forward it to Jesus, is that the best you can do? If you can't answer the question why did you quote me? Of cause you can't answer the question because it exposes you. By God's grace I am ready for you jws
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 2:43pm On Nov 12, 2017
I answered all your questions, didn't I? I am still expecting a response from you. Stop feeling pumped or cantankerous toward @achorladey for this is not a competition between you and the JW.
SAVIOURJESUS:
u quoted me without answering my questions.I should forward it to Jesus, is that the best you can do? If you can't answer the question why did you quote me? Of cause you can't answer the question because it exposes you. By God's grace I am ready for you jws
Re: Is Jesus God? by Peacefullove: 2:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
saintmark88:

“To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:

These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 9 I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Give ur life to Jesus, u children of Satan.... U worship in d synagogue of satan. You are the ones Jesus is referring to here. You have denied the name of Jesus and reduced his power by comparing him to mere mortal men.....shame on you!!!!!!!......

grin , All you can now do is threaten and call names grin

Is King James Bible a Satanic translation , Don't forget I quoted Revelation 3:9 from it ?

is the King James now reducing Jesus to mere mortals ?

grin grin I just can't laugh oooo
Re: Is Jesus God? by SAVIOURJESUS: 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2017
author=lovingJehovah post=62296943]Thank you for the honor to answer these questions from your perspicacious mind.
The Bible made it clear that anything can be a god. Whatever you give your mind and devotion to becomes your god Philippians 3:19.
out of point.
Is Jesus a true God or a false god.

Jesus was a far superior spirit creature before stooping to the low class by becoming a man. If Jesus wanted to be worshipped as a God, he would have had it all. But, no! Jesus said in Matthew 4:10 It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone' you must render sacred service']
@ bold were did you get that from.
Simple question and you are dribbling yourself. Is Jesus a false God yes or no

[
i]you said Jesus is a God and not God.what is the difference?[/i]
I did not say but the Bible clearly says in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 "there are 'gods'...yet 'to us' there is one God the Father..
." Why did you quote the bible half way here is the full verse
1 Corinthians 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Are you a part of the 'us' mentioned above?
Those are Christians I am a Christian but you are not.

Jesus is called mighty God but there is one called "The" ALmighty God. There is always a God placed above Jesus. Colossians 1:15 says that Jesus was created by Jehovah. Jehovah was never created by anyone but he is the sovereign of the universe. 1 Corinthians 11:3 says that God is the head of Jesus. Jesus himself said that Jehovah is greater than him John 14:28

Here are verses that call Jehovah mighty God.
Deuteronomy 7:21 Thou shalt not be affrighted at them: for the LORD thy God is among you, a mighty God and terrible.

Psalms 132:2 How he sware unto the LORD, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob;
Isaiah 10:21 The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.
Habakkuk 1:12 Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One? we shall not die. O LORD, thou hast ordained them for judgment; and[b], O mighty God[/b], thou hast established them for correction.

In furtherance, Jesus himself called Jehovah the only true God in John 17:3. It is not my word. You may say Jesus said in the Bible...
And Jesus said I and my father are one.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

Moreover, 1 Timothy 2:5 says For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus

To muffle the controversy and heresy that abound today, Jesus said the words in John 20:17 ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.
The above was Jesus speaking the words from his own mouth.

Will you accept his word above heretics and philosophers? Does he deserve the doubt and questioning for telling us who truly our God is?

It does not matter what you have been told for years, what matters is the truth. The truth can only be found in the Bible. Anyone giving you a straight answer without referencing you to the Bible might be leading you astray with empty words of mouth.
you are a liar and an Antichrist. I will never accept anything from Antichrist and heretics.
Jesus is Almighty God!

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

in all you couldn't respond to issues raised. My questions were short and clear enough, you could have answer them straight but a heretic like you prefers to jump around. SHM
A child's heart becomes edgy as soon as he hears that there is another man who is his biological father even though he had been lied to all his life and he goes out in search of him to have a closure.

Do you feel edgy to know the true God, Jehovah?
Repent now before its too late
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2017
Well, this brings our conversation to a conclusion. It is baseless talking with someone who denigrates people and their beliefs. You just sounded irrational and immature so I am tapping out. This is a forum where you come to share your thought and make room for others to do the same without spitting hate slurs and being judgmental. You cannot reel me in that dirt.
Take the win and have a great day.

SAVIOURJESUS:
out of point.

[." Why did you quote the bible half way here is the full verse
1 Corinthians 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Deuteronomy 7:21 Thou shalt not be affrighted at them: for the LORD thy God is among you, a mighty God and terrible.

Psalms 132:2 How he sware unto the LORD, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob;
Isaiah 10:21 The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.
Habakkuk 1:12 Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One? we shall not die. O LORD, thou hast ordained them for judgment; and[b], O mighty God[/b], thou hast established them for correction.

you are a liar and an Antichrist. I will never accept anything from Antichrist and heretics.
Jesus is Almighty God!

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

in all you couldn't respond to issues raised. My questions were short and clear enough, you could have answer them straight but a heretic like you prefers to jump around. SHM

3 Likes

Re: Is Jesus God? by achorladey: 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2017
SAVIOURJESUS:
out of point.

[." Why did you quote the bible half way here is the full verse

Jesus is Almighty God!

Who is the antichrist here? 1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
That is all you need Mr SAVIOURJESUS. Once you raise Jesus to status Almighty God. You render your beloveth Jesus a liar. Your John 10:30 becomes...... I(Jesus the Almighty God) and my father(Father of the Almighty God) are one. Question for you SAVIOURJESUS do you serve an Almighty God that has a father? Looooool.
The thread is not meant for medal seeking Christians by mouth like you as signified by the post am responding to. I repeat ask Jesus what he meant when he said in John 17:3 that there is only one true God.
You didn't bother to look up on what others have had to say on this thread. All the scriptures you highlighted so far has been extensively covered on this same thread. Do well to read the thread from page 1-8 to seek the answers you crave for. Through inspiration John said we only need to see and confess Jesus as the Son of God for God to dwell with us and you want the JWs to raise the Jesus to status Almighty God. Think deeply about that. Don't create unnecessary discussions into what the demons themselves believe in an shudder that JESUS IS THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF JEHOVAH.
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 6:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
They know what they are doing. The Bible does not change everyone. They simply desire an altercation with the JW. The other one was bragging how he challenged the JW who took their time to visit him yet his knowledge of the scriptures is very misty. He cannot respond to a single question he was asked yet he sent an avalanche of questions that were answered from the scriptures. What he wants is a social conversation and not a spiritual one that is back with verses from the Bible.
How can a real Christian ask someone to give a straight answer without quoting the Bible? It is shocking. I thought spiritual conversations were backed by the Bible. They went too low to insulting and becoming contentious over nothing.

John 8:50 Jesus said, "I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it..."
They give no heed to the truth, but as 2 Timothy 4:3 rightly puts it, 'For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
achorladey:

Who is the antichrist here? 1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
That is all you need Mr SAVIOURJESUS. Once you raise Jesus to status Almighty God. You render your beloveth Jesus a liar. Your John 10:30 becomes...... I(Jesus the Almighty God) and my father(Father of the Almighty God) are one. Question for you SAVIOURJESUS do you serve an Almighty God that has a father? Looooool.
The thread is not meant for medal seeking Christians by mouth like you as signified by the post am responding to. I repeat ask Jesus what he meant when he said in John 17:3 that there is only one true God.
You didn't bother to look up on what others have had to say on this thread. All the scriptures you highlighted so far has been extensively covered on this same thread. Do well to read the thread from page 1-8 to seek the answers you crave for. Through inspiration John said we only need to see and confess Jesus as the Son of God for God to dwell with us and you want the JWs to raise the Jesus to status Almighty God. Think deeply about that. Don't create unnecessary discussions into what the demons themselves believe in an shudder that JESUS IS THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF JEHOVAH.
Re: Is Jesus God? by SAVIOURJESUS: 7:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
lovingJehovah:
our conversation to a conclusion. It is baseless talking with someone who denigrates people and their beliefs. You just sounded irrational and immature so I am tapping out. This is a forum where you come to share your thought and make room for others to do the same without spitting hate slurs and being judgmental. You cannot reel me in that dirt.
Take the win and have a great day.

you didn't answer my question and here you are running around.
I know you are an Antichrist trying to lead people astray.
My questions are still pending
Re: Is Jesus God? by SAVIOURJESUS: 7:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
achorladey:

you people are liars!
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
Although am disappointed at my Christian folks calling the JW's all sort of names ... It's not right ......
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
WHEN THE BIBLE SAYS COLOSSIANS 1:15 ~ JESUS, THE FIRSTBORN
Why don’t you turn over there with us. Notice what Paul writes about Jesus...

Colossians 1:15
“He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.”

The firstborn! Ahh, so the Jehovah’s Witness will typically say something like:

Jehovah Witness: “Look at that. Paul says Jesus is the “[b]firstborn” of all “creation.” Paul is saying that Jesus was the very first of all of God’s creations. He was brought into being some-time in eternity past (before the creation of the world). So, because that is the case, obviously Jesus can’t be the eternal, Almighty God.”[/b]

Well, that might sound pretty persuasive to people who haven’t studied this. So, how might we respond to that? Is that what this verse is teaching? (That Jesus was the first being God created?) No.

That word “firstborn,” there in Colossians 1:15, is the Greek word “prototokos.” It does not mean "first created" as people assumed even Christians. There’s another Greek word for ‘first created’ (protoktistos) and Paul did not use that word.

Greek scholars agree that the word Paul uses here in Colossians 1:15 (prototokos) means:

1. Superior
2. Preeminent in rank
3. Above

That’s what Paul was saying about Jesus (that He is superior to creation, preeminent in rank when compared to creation, that He is above all creation).

Why is Jesus superior over all creation? Well, the very next verse explains. Notice the flow. Paul says:

Colossians 1:16-17
16 “For by Him [Jesus] all things [How many things? ALL THINGS] were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist
We’re to form our theology (our beliefs) around what the Bible says! And this passage (Col. 1:16-17) clearly portrays Jesus as the Creator of all things. It even tells us in v. 17 that He existed before all things came into existence.

Brothers and sisters, He is the eternal God!

So, if a Jehovah’s Witness or someone else tries to tell you the term “firstborn” means Jesus was the first being God created, gently tell them that they’re mistaken and that the passage is actually teaching that Jesus is superior or above creation.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2017
Though am not the op but I suggest that the op place the Bible verses he use for his argument write a detailed commentary or post on it then the Christians too explain that same verse and bring his own topic and also write a full post on it .... Just a suggestion

I'd like Us all to calm down ....
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 12, 2017
JOHN 5:25 ~ JESUS, THE SON OF GOD

Jehovah Witness: “All right but what about all the verses in the Bible, where Jesus is called the “Son” of God? If you’re the Son of God, surely you can’t be the eternal Almighty God.”

This is another common objection the jws bring up. They believe Jesus' title (“Son of God”) somehow means Jesus is inferior to God. Well, they’re mistaken. Let’s turn over to John 5:25.

Jesus is speaking here to some of His critics. He says:

John 5:25
“Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.”

Here in this verse, as you can see, Jesus referred to Himself as the Son of God. This is one of many places in the Gospels where Jesus is referred to with this title.

What did Jesus mean when He said He was “the Son of God”?

Was this a way of saying that He was less than God, as Jehovah’s Witnesses contend? Not at all. In fact it was actually a claim to deity (equality with God the Father).

Let’s examine the context by backing up a few verses and looking at verse 18. We’ll see that Jesus’ original listeners knew exactly what Jesus was saying. In John 5:18, John writes:

John 5:18
“Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, [Why?] because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father [implying that He was the Son of God], making Himself [What?] equal with God.”

Referring to God as His Father and Himself as the Son of God, as He did here in John 5:25 and elsewhere [e.g., John 3:16], was the equivalent of making Himself what? “Equal with God” the apostle John says.

Referring to God as His Father, referring to Himself as the Son of God, was the equivalent of making Himself “equal with God.”

Those listening to Him understood that a son is of the same nature, the same species, the same essence, as his father. And so they immediately understood what Jesus meant by referring to Himself as the Son of God. 'He's claiming to be equal with God!'

So this title “Son of God” actually helps to verify Jesus’ deity rather than undermine it.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
JOHN 14:28 ~ JESUS SAYS THE FATHER IS "GREATER"

Jesus here is speaking to His disciples on the eve of His crucifixion…

John 14:28
“You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.”

Jehovah Witness: “Look at that ! Jesus says right here that his Father is “greater” than him (Jn. 14:28). You keep saying Jesus is equal in nature with the Father; but that contradicts what Jesus himself said!”

Well, once again we need to look a bit more closely at the word in question in the original Greek. The Greek word for “greater” in John 14:28 is the word meizon. This word is a quantitative term, not a qualitative term. Let me explain.

– A quantitative term describes quantities, levels, positions, etc.
– A qualitative term describes qualities, character, nature.

When I say, “The amount of water in this glass is greater than the water in that glass,” I’m speaking quantitatively. I’m not saying that the water in this glass is better than the water in that glass.

When Jesus spoke of His Father being “greater” than Him (John 14:28), He was speaking quantitatively (as the word meizon implies). Jesus was referring to His Father’s position, not His nature. He was not saying His Father was better than Him or more worthy of worship. That would contradict what the Bible says elsewhere.

For instance, notice what Hebrews 1:3 says. Speaking of Jesus, it says:

Hebrews 1:3
“He [Jesus] is the radiance of His glory [God the Father’s] and the exact representation of His nature."

Jesus is absolutely equal in nature to God the Father. But in John 14:28, while Jesus was here on the Earth having “emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant” (Phil. 2:7), having been made for “a little while lower than the angels” (Heb. 2:9), it was completely appropriate to speak of His Father being greater than Him (positionally). He was not saying that the Father was better than Him in character or in nature.

Here’s an analogy that might help. The President is greater than us in position of authority. But in nature he is absolutely equal with us, isn’t he? We are all 100% homosapien.

Here’s another analogy. Children are absolutely equal in nature with their parents (we’re all humans). But children can rightly speak of their parents holding a higher office. The fact that the parents are greater in their position of authority does nothing to negate the fact that their children are perfectly equal to them in nature.

And the same is true with Jesus’ statement there in John 14:28. When it comes to Jesus and the Father’s nature, Jesus said...

John 10:30
“I and the Father are one."

They are so identical in nature, Jesus told Philip in John 14:9...

John 14:9
“He who has seen Me has seen the Father.”
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2017
2) REVELATION 3:14 ~ JESUS, THE "BEGINNING" OF CREATION?

Here in Revelation 3:14, Jesus refers to Himself with a few different titles, but there’s one in particular the JW focus on. Let’s read what Jesus said...

Revelation 3:14
“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, “These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God…”

Jehovah Witness: “Well, here we have another reference to the fact that Jesus had a beginning. Jesus calls himself the “Beginning of the creation of God.” Notice that! He says very plainly here that he is part of the creation of God. If Jesus had a beginning or if he is any part of the creation of God, he surely cannot be Almighty God.”

Well, how might we respond to this interpretation? Was Jesus saying He had a beginning, confirming He was a created creature? No.

The Greek word here for “Beginning” (Rev. 3:14) is the word “arche.” It’s the word from which we get our English word architect. It doesn’t imply in the slightest that Jesus had a beginning (as the JWs say).

Greek scholars say that this word (“arche”) can also be properly interpreted as:

• Origin
• Source
• Designer
• Supervisor
• First Cause
• Ruler

This is why God the Father can also refer to Himself with the very same word in Revelation 21:6! In fact, Revelation 21:6 is a great cross-reference to write in the margin of your Bible at Revelation 3:14. Notice what Revelation 21:6 says. I’ll start in v. 5 for context:

Revelation 21:5-6
5 “Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.” 6 And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning [arche] and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.”

So, notice that, God the Father refers to Himself with the very same title, the arche, the Beginning.

So, back to the verse in question (Rev. 3:14); Jesus is not saying that He had a beginning or that He is the first thing that God made. He is saying that He is the One who began all of creation, that He is the designer, origin, the first cause, or ruler of all creation!

And this is exactly what other passages in the Bible teach about Jesus. For example, John writes in...

John 1:3
“All things came into being [How?] through Him.”

Through Jesus. He’s the designer. He’s the architect.

Speaking of all things coming into being through Jesus, a good question to ask Jehovah’s Witnesses is this: Is Jesus the creator?

Jehovah Witness: “Well, we believe Jesus is a creator in a sense. After God created Jesus, Jesus helped God create the other things.

When a Jehovah’s Witness tells you this, you might them to Isaiah 44:24. Notice what it says:

Isaiah 44:24
“Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, “I, the LORD [YHWH], am the maker of all things, stretching out the heavens [How? With someone else’s help? No.] by Myself, and spreading out the earth [with help? No.] all alone."

If God created everything “all alone” as this passage (Isaiah 44:24) says and Jesus created “all things” (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-17) you have to conclude that Jesus must be that God, the God of the Old Testament—Yahweh
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 12, 2017
MATTHEW 19:16-17 ~ JESUS IS NOT GOOD?

Matthew 19:16–17
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Jehovah Witness: “So look at that Charlie. Jesus says, no one is good but God! Jesus was saying, in effect: ‘Whoa! Watch who you call good. Don’t call me good!’ Jesus was clearly denying equality with God.

Well, hold on a second here. Was that what Jesus was saying to this man? Not at all. I like to ask people two questions when they bring up this verse thinking it disproves the deity of Christ.

Two Key Questions:

1. Is it true, according to the Scriptures, that God alone truly is good?

Now, brothers and sisters, what do you think the answer is to that question? Is it true, according to the Scriptures, that God alone truly is good? The answer is Yes.

The Bible makes it clear that the hearts of men are desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9), all of mankind like sheep have gone astray (Isaiah 53:6), and that there is “none righteous; no not one” (Romans 3:10).

And Jesus Himself just said, “No one is good but One, that is, God,” here in the verse we’re examining (Matt. 19:17). So, ask the person who cites Matthew 19:17 this question: Is it true that God alone is good?

They should have no qualms about answering YES. Then ask the second question…

2. Was Jesus good?

What’s the answer to this one? YES. Uh-oh. The person who thinks Matthew 19:17 disproves the deity of Christ is trapped! Why?

If God alone is good (as Jesus Himself said in Matthew 19:17) and Jesus is good, that means: JESUS IS GOD.

But, rather than concede that their beliefs about Jesus don’t correspond with the Bible, some people say something like…

Jehovah Witness: “Well then, maybe Jesus wasn’t good!!”

If they say something like this, you’ll want to have two verse references handy. I encourage you to write these down in the margin of your Bible sometime right there at Matthew 19:17…

• Hebrews 7:26
• John 10:11

Notice Hebrews 7:26, speaking of Jesus, it says:

Hebrews 7:26
“For it was fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens.”

Jesus was holy? Innocent? Undefiled? That’s pretty good! That’s better than good. Jesus was perfect! And next, notice this in John 10:11, Jesus even calls Himself good:

John 10:11
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.”

So again, if God alone is good and Jesus is good, that means: Jesus is God. See how that works?

So then, why would Jesus challenge this man (in Matthew 19:17) with the question: “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.”

Bible commentators, believe it was because Jesus wanted the man to examine the implications of what he said when he called Jesus “good.”

Jesus was, in effect, asking him, “Do you realize who you are saying I am when you call Me good? Are you saying I’m God?” So, Matthew 19:17 in no way diminishes the goodness or the deity of Christ. In fact, it actually helps to affirm those attributes
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
We are not on a campaign to force the Bible's message down anyone's throat. I do not think Nairaland is a ground for no-brainers either. Your definition or translation of the Bible is laughable. You will end up making a jest of yourself when you meet religious scholars from your own religion, not JW.
As you know, this is the message that we have from the Bible. It has been delivered and ears have heard.
Ferisidowu:
WHEN THE BIBLE SAYS COLOSSIANS 1:15 ~ JESUS, THE FIRSTBORN
Why don’t you turn over there with us. Notice what Paul writes about Jesus...

Colossians 1:15
“He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.”

The firstborn! Ahh, so the Jehovah’s Witness will typically say something like:

Jehovah Witness: “Look at that. Paul says Jesus is the “[b]firstborn” of all “creation.” Paul is saying that Jesus was the very first of all of God’s creations. He was brought into being some-time in eternity past (before the creation of the world). So, because that is the case, obviously Jesus can’t be the eternal, Almighty God.”[/b]

Well, that might sound pretty persuasive to people who haven’t studied this. So, how might we respond to that? Is that what this verse is teaching? (That Jesus was the first being God created?) No.

That word “firstborn,” there in Colossians 1:15, is the Greek word “prototokos.” It does not mean "first created" as people assumed even Christians. There’s another Greek word for ‘first created’ (protoktistos) and Paul did not use that word.

Greek scholars agree that the word Paul uses here in Colossians 1:15 (prototokos) means:

1. Superior
2. Preeminent in rank
3. Above

That’s what Paul was saying about Jesus (that He is superior to creation, preeminent in rank when compared to creation, that He is above all creation).

Why is Jesus superior over all creation? Well, the very next verse explains. Notice the flow. Paul says:

Colossians 1:16-17
16 “For by Him [Jesus] all things [How many things? ALL THINGS] were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist
We’re to form our theology (our beliefs) around what the Bible says! And this passage (Col. 1:16-17) clearly portrays Jesus as the Creator of all things. It even tells us in v. 17 that He existed before all things came into existence.

Brothers and sisters, He is the eternal God!

So, if a Jehovah’s Witness or someone else tries to tell you the term “firstborn” means Jesus was the first being God created, gently tell them that they’re mistaken and that the passage is actually teaching that Jesus is superior or above creation.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
lovingJehovah:
We are not on a campaign to force the Bible's message down anyone's throat. I do not think Nairaland is a ground for no-brainers either. Your definition or translation of the Bible is laughable. You will end up making a jest of yourself when you meet religious scholars from your own religion, not JW.
As you know, this is the message that we have from the Bible. It has been delivered and ears have heard.
Yes I know yet ALL I POSTED HERE IS ACCEPTED BY ALL. endowed SCHOLARS I'm surprised at your response

Anyways God bless

You can bring a passage or two lets check together
Re: Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
lovingJehovah:
We are not on a campaign to force the Bible's message down anyone's throat. I do not think Nairaland is a ground for no-brainers either. Your definition or translation of the Bible is laughable[b]. You will end up making a jest of yourself when you meet religious scholars from your own religion, not JW.[/b]

Lest I forget the translation may be LAUGHABLE ......

YET certainly not to the LEARNED IM VERY SURE IT'S THE language NOT EVEN logic

It may be laughable but IT NO FALSE YOU MAY DO A RESEARCH ON THE WORDS

ALSO ONE THING I HAVE AN OPEN MIND
IF YOU CONVINCE ME ID GLADLY TAKE TO CORRECTION
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 8:21pm On Nov 12, 2017
We are not Charlatans in spiritual things. We are not here to win a prize or impress anyone. The message of the Bible is clear and luster. BTW, what religion are you?

Ferisidowu:
Though am not the op but I suggest that the op place the Bible verses he use for his argument write a detailed commentary or post on it then the Christians too explain that same verse and bring his own topic and also write a full post on it .... Just a suggestion

I'd like Us all to calm down ....
Re: Is Jesus God? by lovingJehovah: 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2017
If you are still hoping to be convinced, then you are not sure of your faith yet?
where did you get that translation from?
Ferisidowu:

Lest I forget the translation may be LAUGHABLE ......

YET certainly not to the LEARNED IM VERY SURE IT'S THE language NOT EVEN logic

It may be laughable but IT NO FALSE YOU MAY DO A RESEARCH ON THE WORDS

ALSO ONE THING I HAVE AN OPEN MIND
IF YOU CONVINCE ME ID GLADLY TAKE TO CORRECTION

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (70) (Reply)

Shocking Predictions For 2016 By Joshua Iginla / Benny Hinn 'Faints' As A Nigerian Sows $1 Million Into His Ministry (Video) / Pastor Obafemi Banigbe Resigns As A COZA Board Of Trustees Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.