Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,536 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical (46657 Views)

Daddy Freeze Criticizes RCCG On Tithe Banner "Don't Be A Robber! Pay Your Tithe" / "It Pays To Pay Your Tithe" - D'banj Stands With The "Sheeple" / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by kefman(m): 4:51pm On Nov 07, 2017
LETS TALK ABOUT TITHES A LITTLE BIT - This information is for the humble ones only

The popular command to pay tithe found at Malachi 3:10 was directed to the Israelites who were not of the tribe of Levi

Remember that the Levites did not have any inheritance in terms of land allotment in Isreal. The Bible say "God is their snare"

And so tithe collected from the other tribes was used to support the Levite's as well as pure worship in the temple.

Tithe was made compulsory for the children of Isreal, hence failure to pay amounted to robbing God.

Does tithing also applies to Christians? My next post will answer that question shortly.

4 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

1Chorinthians 10 vs 19 -20 says that sacrifices are not to God but to Idols. So offering of burnt offerings have been abolished that's why neither Jesus nor his disciples offered burnt offerings but Jesus never condemned tithes instead he said give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser and give to God what belongs to God.

well since you want to contradict yourself by saying burnt offerings were abolished during Jesus time, fine. but where in the Bible did Jesus or his disciples give 10th % of their earnings to the church?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by MhizzAJ(f): 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2017
If paying your tithe as a Christian is important to you..then do so

God will take care of the church with or without our money

God doesn't force people to do what he wants

Most pastors have used the curse of not tithing to hold their members in eternal bondage...Some churches even have tithe card cheesy

Most Christians who do not tithe feel they wouldn't make heaven

Did jesus even preach about tithe

13 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by nNEOo(m): 5:03pm On Nov 07, 2017
Tamarapetty:
i pay mine tongue
congrats
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Gggg102(m): 5:11pm On Nov 07, 2017
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2017
MhizzAJ:
If paying your tithe as a Christian is important to you..then do so

God will take care of the church with or without our money

God doesn't force people to do what he wants

Most pastors have used the curse of not tithing to hold their members in eternal bondage...Some churches even have tithe card cheesy

Most Christians who do not tithe feel they wouldn't make heaven

Did jesus even preach about tithe
Gggg102:

1 I'm not kicking against tithe
I'm kicking against compulsion of tithing or haven't you heard that most churches don't allow members to get married and do other things without tithe
or how curses are attached to non payment
if you want to tithe do it but it is not compulsory

in the new testament nobody paid tithe also
you

what God wants actually is a pure heart
who do you think is closer to God.

the man that pays tithe but does not live a Christian life or a the man that lives a Christian life but does not pay tithe
our manmade money is useless to God

it is okay to give in appreciation to God that is Thanksgiving. u can use ur tithe to thank God if you want but that does not make it compulsory

again the Christians in acts were not paying tithes... they were moved to give out of free will not compelled to do so like how it is practiced today

again I'm not against tithing(I prefer to call it giving 10% now)
people even give 10% in my church but they are not forced
the only thing that is announced is that if u want to pay come forward and they pray for you.
no preaching about tithe and how u will be cursed if u don't pay
no keeping of record of who pays so u will deny those who don't pay their rights
just free will.

I agree with this partly and disagree partly. God commanded us to pay but nobody should coerce anyone to pay. The pastor is there there to tell you the word of God and pray for the grace to obey not by subjecting you to humiliation or the likes especially in things like tithe.
My late Pastor is ready to flog you, your bf/gf and your parents in the church for carrying belle without being married but I can count the number of times I heard him preach about tithing in my 20+ yrs of learning under him. But ppl paid and gave till he started rejecting gifts. He rejected a rolls royce shortly before he died. That's how it should be. You don't need to be pushed to pay and no-one should force tithing or curse non tithers

4 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 6:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
McBeal10:

well since you want to contradict yourself by saying burnt offerings were abolished during Jesus time, fine. but where in the Bible did Jesus or his disciples give 10th % of their earnings to the church?

Tithes are different from burnt offerings.
The new testament never recorded tithes nor burnt offerings. But the bible never commanded us not to pay. It's like the story of the adulterous woman in the new testament versus the ten commandments. Jesus saved her from the law. But the same Jesus said that he's not come to condemn the law but to fulfill it. The things that needed to be condemned were condemned such as the people buying and selling in the church and the offering of sacrifices.

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by kefman(m): 6:03pm On Nov 07, 2017
TITHE VS CHRISTIAN GIVING
Tithe: Was a compulsory requirement for the Israelites
Christians giving is not to be under compulsion "for God loves a cheerful giver" Read Ii Cor. 9:7
There is no known record in the Bible that Jesus or any of his disciples or any first century Christian paid tithe
What true Christians offer to God today is more valuable than tithe, it is called " sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of our lips" or our involvement in the preaching work.. Read Heb. 13:15.
Christ's death and resurrection caused "sacrifices and gift offering to cease" Read Dan. 9:27

SO TODAY GOD REQUIRE THAT WE GIVE TO HIM WILLINGLY NOT UNDR COMPULSION ACCORDING AS HE HAS BLESS US FINANANCIAL RESOURCES, OUR TIME AND OUR EFFORT IN HIS SERVICE. TITHE WAS A SHADOW OF REALITY...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

The new testament never recorded tithes nor burnt offerings. But the bible never commanded us not to pay. It's like the story of the adulterous woman in the new testament versus the ten commandments. Jesus saved her from the law. But the same Jesus said that he's not come to condemn the law but to fulfill it. The things that needed to be condemned were condemned such as the people buying and selling in the church and the offering of sacrifices.

so what exactly is tithes if not livestocks or yields from the land? because that was what tithes were referred to in the OT Bible?
your comment is like totally out of context

4 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by demmie1: 6:22pm On Nov 07, 2017
@Hardasan, everything you are quoting are off topic and obviously flawed, you are purposely trying to convince yourself you are saying the right thing while knowing you are wrong.

You referred to annanias and sapphira, he corrected their case is not about tithe, you jumped to "give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser, give to God what belongs to God." Was Christ talking of tithe in that context? He was talking about righteousness, kindness and love which were things of God.

Tithing was done differently( deut 14:22-27) then as it is done now,and its for levites. Are present leaders of churches levites?

There were laws for the jews and laws for the the gentiles, are you a jew?

Christ said "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former." Matt 23-23.

there are more important matters according to the Lord than tithes.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by saintmark88(m): 6:58pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

Ur argument is floored, we r not practicing Judaism so the laws of Moses doesn't apply to us. Dnt tell me the bible didn't condemn tithe so thts ur yardstick for practicing.

We follow the new testament.... Pls show me were in the new testament we were asked to tithe

6 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 07, 2017
The truth about the subject of tithe payment is one that any one who sincerely wants to know will discover from Scripture. Many tithers along with their Pastorpreneur GOs and so-called MOGs will quickly run to Malachi 3 vs 10 in defence of tithe payment in our dispensation.

In Acts 4 vs 35-36, we see how money is to be handled among them that are God's people.

There was not a needy person among them, because those who were owners of land or houses were selling them, and bringing the proceeds of the sales
35 and placing the money down at the apostles’ feet. Then it was distributed to each as anyone had need.

Wait what? You mean Apostle Peter did not use the money for a private camel and chariot or build a mansion? No, they helped poor brethren and gave to each one as they had need. In fact, we do not see anywhere in Scripture where the apostles taught the brethren to give their tithes. Absolutely nowhere. Which 'spirit' is your pastor then hearing?. undecided It's definitely not Christ's.

Every action undertaken by the believer in Christ must stem from an impression on the heart and a leading of the Spirit of Christ.

Jesus Christ is the Pattern Son and all who must follow Him must be imitators of Him.- 1 Cor. 11 vs 1: Imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.

If tithe payment was as serious as to even bring curses upon defaulters as preachers today say it is, don't you think our High Priest who is Holy, Harmless, Righteous and Forever true would have mentioned it?

How is this tithe thing considered so much of an ordinance in most churches that all you keep hearing is Mal3 vs 10, prosperity, how one brother pays his tithe and is blessed by God while the misfortune of another is attributed to not paying tithes?

So much so that people believe that God is a money doubler waiting for them to pay their tithes before He blesses them. How sad. None of the foremost apostles mentioned this tithe thing and then from the blues, one man considered to be a servant of Christ but is in reality a minister of Satan in disguise, says tithing must be practiced by God's people.

James 1:17 ►
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no ficklenss (variableness), neither shadow of turning

Every good gift comes from Him..Our Father blesses His Children materially but not with conditions attached..

These preachers are only fleecing their members and stripping them of their finances.

Col 2 vs 7-8
7. having been deeply rooted [in Him] and now being continually built up in Him and [becoming increasingly more] established [e]in your faith, just as you were taught, and overflowing in it with gratitude.

8[b]See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception [pseudo-intellectual babble], according to the tradition [and musings] of mere men, following the [f]elementary principles of this world, rather than following [the truth—the teachings of] Christ.[/b]

Little wonder these tithe-advocating churches preach nothing about the Essence of the Christ, our walk with Him, the place of the believer in the Body, spiritual growth and maturity, true repentance, dying to self, trusting wholly on Christ's finished work, but create laws, dos and don'ts, preach prosperity, prosperity, prosperity as if Christ died so that we can drive private jets.

These things only fuel our lust for worldly things and when we should be looking unto Jesus, we'll be dreaming of owning estates. Believe me, they have their reward. Christ had all it took to make serious gain from His Ministry, gifts and abilities but chose to lead a humble life, so humble that He died a criminal's death.

The Apostle Paul, a scholar of great repute, threw all that away and chose to know Christ only.

Philippians 3vs3-8
for we [who are born-again have been reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, set apart for His purpose and] are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory and take pride and exult in Christ Jesus and place no confidence [in what we have or who we are] in the flesh—
4 though I myself might have [some grounds for] confidence in the flesh [if I were pursuing salvation by works]. If anyone else thinks that he has reason to be confident in the flesh [that is, in his own efforts to achieve salvation], I have far more:
5 circumcised when I was eight days old, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews [an exemplary Hebrew]; as to the [observance of the] Law, a Pharisee;
6 as to my zeal [for Jewish tradition], a persecutor of the church; and as to righteousness [supposed right living] which [my fellow Jews believe] is in the Law, I proved myself blameless

7 But whatever former things were gains to me [as I thought then], these things [once regarded as advancements in merit] I have come to consider as loss [absolutely worthless] for the sake of Christ [and the purpose which He has given my life].

8[b]But more than that, I count everything as loss compared to the priceless privilege and supreme advantage of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord [and of growing more deeply and thoroughly acquainted with Him—a joy unequaled].
For His sake I have lost everything, and I consider it all garbage, so that I may gain Christ,
[/b]
9 and may be found in Him [believing and relying on Him], not having any righteousness of my own derived from [my obedience to] the Law and its rituals, but [possessing] that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith.

The testimony of the accurate Christian is summed up in Gal. 2vs20
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

If Christ lives in you, then all you do will be regulated by the Spirit of Christ and not the fear of curses.
Giving for the cause of the Kingdom, for the poor brethren or to the less privileged is not a bad idea but compelling people to do so under the guise of tithing is daylight robbery.

P.S. God does not need your tithe and He won't stop blessing you if you don't pay tithes. 'Em pastors are stealing from you under the guise of religion. Don't be gullible. Seek the truth of God's Word and be free!
God bless you.

8 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 07, 2017
Lazy thieves will not go and work, looking for tithe freebies instead of getting employment

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2017
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:19pm On Nov 07, 2017
saintmark88:

Ur argument is floored, we r not practicing Judaism so the laws of Moses doesn't apply to us. Dnt tell me the bible didn't condemn tithe so thts ur yardstick for practicing.

We follow the new testament.... Pls show me were in the new testament we were asked to tithe
The 10 commandements does not apply ?
The book of psalms is irrelevant ?
The wisdom of proverbs is old school ?
The prophecies of Daniel are outdated ?
The blessings of Abraham don't apply to you ?

Since the old testament is useless according to you, why not rip. It out of ur bible or better still, buy the bible that has only the new testament.
You can't claim Abraham's blessings and say you aren't under Judaism.
Your argument is flawed.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Gggg102(m): 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

Since the old testament is useless according to you, why not rip. It out of ur bible or better still, buy the bible that has only the new testament.
Your argument is flawed.

as a Christian u don't need the ten commandments to guide your every step all you need is love. and you will live a good life

the problem with law is that as time goes on it will keep increasing to cover every possible scenario and it becomes harder or impossible to keep as you can't keep tabs on all

the book of psalms is not law its mostly praise and worship

proverbs are not law they are words of wisdom

Daniel is mostly prophecy

not all the old testament is law
e.g the above and songs of Solomon

8 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:30pm On Nov 07, 2017
demmie1:
@Hardasan, everything you are quoting are off topic and obviously flawed, you are purposely trying to convince yourself you are saying the right thing while knowing you are wrong.

You referred to annanias and sapphira, he corrected their case is not about tithe, you jumped to "give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser, give to God what belongs to God." Was Christ talking of tithe in that context? He was talking about righteousness, kindness and love which were things of God.

Tithing was done differently( deut 14:22-27) then as it is done now,and its for levites. Are present leaders of churches levites?

There were laws for the jews and laws for the the gentiles, are you a jew?

Christ said "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former." Matt 23-23.

there are more important matters according to the Lord than tithes.

Ananias and Sapphira wasn't the only verse I quoted.
Those of you who attack tithers are the ones shifting the goal post. First it was show where the bible said we should tithe, or where the apostles collected tithes and offerings, I did. Then it became show where Jesus paid tithe. I pointed out that while the NT doesn't expressly state that we should pay tithe, it didn't condemn tithe. Tithing was demanded under the law, and Jesus said : "I didn't come to abolish the law but to fulfill it". Jesus condemned the hypocritical pharisees for their hypocrisy and not for paying tithe.

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:37pm On Nov 07, 2017
McBeal10:

so what exactly is tithes if not livestocks or yields from the land? because that was what tithes were referred to in the OT Bible?
your comment is like totally out of context
The tenth part of your increase which means a tenth part of your profits . The biblical isrealites were shepherds, traders and farmers so it's normal that examples of livestock and farm produce were mentioned. It is not set in stone that you must tithe in livestock, currencies or commodities. Eg, a fish farmer after avery month takes stock of the seedlings, the tenth part of the seedlings is his tithe cus the seedlings are the increase. He can simply give the tenth part of the fishes as tithe to God but then, who has time to carry fish to church ? It's then logical to take the value of that tenth part to church and pay as tithe. Now the pastor can do stuffs with the money that he couldn't do with the fishes. But if the fish farmer insists on paying in fishes, he is still 100% correct

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:42pm On Nov 07, 2017
saintmark88:

The entire old testament is Judaism, Christ was born into Judaism, Christ practiced Judaism. Christ never condemned Judaism but lessened the burden of the law by bringing grace.
If you don't believe the OT, you aren't a christian and I shouldn't be debating with you on this.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:53pm On Nov 07, 2017
Clinolit:
The truth about the subject of tithe payment is one that any one who sincerely wants to know will discover from Scripture. Many tithers along with their Pastorpreneur GOs and so-called MOGs will quickly run to Malachi 3 vs 10 in defence of tithe payment in our dispensation.

In Acts 4 vs 35-36, we see how money is to be handled among them that are God's people.

There was not a needy person among them, because those who were owners of land or houses were selling them, and bringing the proceeds of the sales
35 and placing the money down at the apostles’ feet. Then it was distributed to each as anyone had need.

Wait what? You mean Apostle Peter did not use the money for a private camel and chariot or build a mansion? No, they helped poor brethren and gave to each one as they had need. In fact, we do not see anywhere in Scripture where the apostles taught the brethren to give their tithes. Absolutely nowhere. Which 'spirit' is your pastor then hearing?. undecided It's definitely not Christ's.

Every action undertaken by the believer in Christ must stem from an impression on the heart and a leading of the Spirit of Christ.

Jesus Christ is the Pattern Son and all who must follow Him must be imitators of Him.- 1 Cor. 11 vs 1: Imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.

If tithe payment was as serious as to even bring curses upon defaulters as preachers today say it is, don't you think our High Priest who is Holy, Harmless, Righteous and Forever true would have mentioned it?

How is this tithe thing considered so much of an ordinance in most churches that all you keep hearing is Mal3 vs 10, prosperity, how one brother pays his tithe and is blessed by God while the misfortune of another is attributed to not paying tithes?

So much so that people believe that God is a money doubler waiting for them to pay their tithes before He blesses them. How sad. None of the foremost apostles mentioned this tithe thing and then from the blues, one man considered to be a servant of Christ but is in reality a minister of Satan in disguise, says tithing must be practiced by God's people.

James 1:17 ►
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no ficklenss (variableness), neither shadow of turning

Every good gift comes from Him..Our Father blesses His Children materially but not with conditions attached..

These preachers are only fleecing their members and stripping them of their finances.

Col 2 vs 7-8
7. having been deeply rooted [in Him] and now being continually built up in Him and [becoming increasingly more] established [e]in your faith, just as you were taught, and overflowing in it with gratitude.

8[b]See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception [pseudo-intellectual babble], according to the tradition [and musings] of mere men, following the [f]elementary principles of this world, rather than following [the truth—the teachings of] Christ.[/b]

Little wonder these tithe-advocating churches preach nothing about the Essence of the Christ, our walk with Him, the place of the believer in the Body, spiritual growth and maturity, true repentance, dying to self, trusting wholly on Christ's finished work, but create laws, dos and don'ts, preach prosperity, prosperity, prosperity as if Christ died so that we can drive private jets.

These things only fuel our lust for worldly things and when we should be looking unto Jesus, we'll be dreaming of owning estates. Believe me, they have their reward. Christ had all it took to make serious gain from His Ministry, gifts and abilities but chose to lead a humble life, so humble that He died a criminal's death.

The Apostle Paul, a scholar of great repute, threw all that away and chose to know Christ only.

Philippians 3vs3-8
for we [who are born-again have been reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, set apart for His purpose and] are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory and take pride and exult in Christ Jesus and place no confidence [in what we have or who we are] in the flesh—
4 though I myself might have [some grounds for] confidence in the flesh [if I were pursuing salvation by works]. If anyone else thinks that he has reason to be confident in the flesh [that is, in his own efforts to achieve salvation], I have far more:
5 circumcised when I was eight days old, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews [an exemplary Hebrew]; as to the [observance of the] Law, a Pharisee;
6 as to my zeal [for Jewish tradition], a persecutor of the church; and as to righteousness [supposed right living] which [my fellow Jews believe] is in the Law, I proved myself blameless

7 But whatever former things were gains to me [as I thought then], these things [once regarded as advancements in merit] I have come to consider as loss [absolutely worthless] for the sake of Christ [and the purpose which He has given my life].

8[b]But more than that, I count everything as loss compared to the priceless privilege and supreme advantage of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord [and of growing more deeply and thoroughly acquainted with Him—a joy unequaled].
For His sake I have lost everything, and I consider it all garbage, so that I may gain Christ,
[/b]
9 and may be found in Him [believing and relying on Him], not having any righteousness of my own derived from [my obedience to] the Law and its rituals, but [possessing] that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith.

The testimony of the accurate Christian is summed up in Gal. 2vs20
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

If Christ lives in you, then all you do will be regulated by the Spirit of Christ and not the fear of curses.
Giving for the cause of the Kingdom, for the poor brethren or to the less privileged is not a bad idea but compelling people to do so under the guise of tithing is daylight robbery.

P.S. God does not need your tithe and He won't stop blessing you if you don't pay tithes. 'Em pastors are stealing from you under the guise of religion. Don't be gullible. Seek the truth of God's Word and be free!
God bless you.

If your pastor mishandled church funds, you're free to change your church and not coming out to condemn tithing. The early church paid 100% to the church and you're here arguing over 10%.
Now, from my understanding, some pastors have their private businesses while some don't. Those who have their own business have the right to buy what they deem with their money after paying their tithes. They're human too. Anyone complaining is jealous. The pastors who don't have businesses and depend 100% on the church should not live a flamboyant life. In all, there is hardly any rich pastor who doesn't have at least 100 students under their scholarship Annd countless widows under their care.
No matter how we try, there will always be poor in the church because of the size of the Christiandom. If you share 1M today for everyone, tomorrow 200 poorer ppl will come. If you give those ones, next tomorrow, 500 beggars will come so you can't make everyone financially okay.

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:56pm On Nov 07, 2017
Gggg102:

as a Christian u don't need the ten commandments to guide your every step all you need is love. and you will live a good life

the problem with law is that as time goes on it will keep increasing to cover every possible scenario and it becomes harder or impossible to keep as you can't keep tabs on all

the book of psalms is not law its mostly praise and worship

proverbs are not law they are words of wisdom

Daniel is mostly prophecy

not all the old testament is law
e.g the above and songs of Solomon

They all fall under the old testament. You can't pick out some and accept some. The law isn't the only component of Judaism, all the books of the OT blend together to give Judaism it's identity.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Gggg102(m): 11:02pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

They all fall under the old testament. You can't pick out some and accept some. The law isn't the only component of Judaism, all the books of the OT blend together to give Judaism it's identity.

they are part of the OT but they are not law.
can you call songs of Solomon or psalm law

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2017
hardasan:

If your pastor mishandled church funds, you're free to change your church and not coming out to condemn tithing. The early church paid 100% to the church and you're here arguing over 10%.
Now, from my understanding, some pastors have their private businesses while some don't. Those who have their own business have the right to buy what they deem with their money after paying their tithes. They're human too. Anyone complaining is jealous. The pastors who don't have businesses and depend 100% on the church should not live a flamboyant life. In all, there is hardly any rich pastor who doesn't have at least 100 students under their scholarship Annd countless widows under their care.
No matter how we try, there will always be poor in the church because of the size of the Christiandom. If you share 1M today for everyone, tomorrow 200 poorer ppl will come. If you give those ones, next tomorrow, 500 beggars will come so you can't make everyone financially okay.

What I'm trying to draw your attention to is the fact that tithing has no backing new testament wise. It wasn't talked about explicitly by the Lord or by His disciples turned apostles. The Lord Jesus would not have left out such an important information. That's totally unlike what obtains today where a non-tither is considered more of a sinner than an adulterer(I'm speaking from what I have seen myself).

Would it hurt if these pastors talked more on spiritual walk and the Person of Christ, how that He is all we need for life and godliness? People even revere their pastors more than the Lord. What personal businesses would the pastors have that no one would know about and would generate such large income. It costs about 4 million dollars per year to run a private jet and a standard University costs a couple of billion dollars to build (Google is your friend).

Do the math. Your personal business idea will not agree in any way with the figures above. This leaves us with the truth that they use members' tithes and offerings. Believe it or not, this is true. I wonder why people are afraid to say the truth.

SMH

Our works are nothing. All we need is fully lean on the finished works of Jesus, accept His Righteousness as ours and let Him live His Life in us.

Tithing has no place in our dispensation. The sooner you accept, the better for you. Stop majoring on minors.

God bless.

9 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 5:38am On Nov 08, 2017
Gggg102:

they are part of the OT but they are not law.
can you call songs of Solomon or psalm law

The law is part of Judaism just as the book of psalms. Every book in the OT was written by a Jewish prophet. You can't remove the law from Judaism neither can u remove psalms, proverbs, Jeremiah, Isiah etc. They have jews and Judaism written all over.
Christianity in itself is an ofshoot of Judaism. In other words, Christianity is pure Judaism with grace instead of the law. Grace covered many do's and donts. Does it mean the law is no more important, no. The 10 commandements is the law, under the 10 commandements, it's said : Thou shalt not fornicate and thou shalt not commit adultery. Under the grace, Christ said if you even look at a woman and lust after her in your heart, you have sinned. So did christ condemn the law, no. He even put more rules but we don't feel it cus he crowned it all with grace. Okay you talked about love being all we need.

If you love God, you wont worship other God's,
If you love your gf, you wont defile her before marriage, if you love your parents, you wont hop from bed to bed, you'll keep yourself.
If you love your neighbor, you wont sleep with his wife.
If you love your neighbor, you wont kill him, you wont covet his belongings neither will you steal from him.
If you love your neighbor, when he's hungry you'll feed him, when he's naked, you'll clothe him etc.
That's what Christ meant by love being the greatest and most important.
The same psalms talks about praising god with your whole heart, with your dance, with your hands and with your substance.

Tithing was mentioned outside the books of law (Gen - Deut( in Malachi 3 vs 7 -12.
Jesús condemned pharisees who were hypocrites but felt that their tithes make them righteous. He didn't condemn tithing.
What use is tithing without righteousness, what use is faith without works ?
At the end, we aren't being judged by how much tithe we paid but about how sincere we were in keeping God's word. God's word contains the law, the law contains tithing, God's word contains righteousness, God's word contains love. You can't be sincere with God and pick one and drop one.
Jesús spoke to some people in parables and revealed the meaning of the parables to some.
One day my pastor gave an example. He said during counseling, a woman came and asked if was okay for her to take a job which mandates her to dress "sexy". Before he could say no, the holy spirit told him to tell her yes. And he did. She smiled and she left. That same day, another woman came and asked iif she could take that same type of job, the Holy Spirit said : tell her no and he did. Later he asked God why he misled one and saved one. God replied : the heart of the first woman was already made up so your no won't have changed her mind instead she'll go about slandering your name. While the second one sincerely needed direction.

Be a good christian, ask for the holy spirit and sincerely ask the holy spirit for directions. You'll get it, and when you do, 10% will be too small to give to God in your eyes.

5 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 5:53am On Nov 08, 2017
Clinolit:

What I'm trying to draw your attention to is the fact that tithing has no backing new testament wise. It wasn't talked about explicitly by the Lord or by His disciples turned apostles. The Lord Jesus would not have left out such an important information. That's totally unlike what obtains today where a non-tither is considered more of a sinner than an adulterer(I'm speaking from what I have seen myself).

Would it hurt if these pastors talked more on spiritual walk and the Person of Christ, how that He is all we need for life and godliness? People even revere their pastors more than the Lord. What personal businesses would the pastors have that no one would know about and would generate such large income. It costs about 4 million dollars per year to run a private jet and a standard University costs a couple of billions of dollars to build (Google is your friend).

Do the math. Your personal business idea will not agree in any way with the figures above. This leaves us with the truth that they use members' tithes and offerings. Believe it or not, this is true. I wonder why people are afraid to say the truth.

SMH

Our works are nothing. All we need is fully lean on the finished works of Jesus, accept His Righteousness as ours and let Him live His Life in us.

Tithing has no place in our dispensation. The sooner you accept, the better for you. Stop majoring on minors.
God bless.

Matthew 23vs23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Here, Jesus condemned the hypocritical pharisees for their hypocrisy and not for paying tithe. If tithing was wrong, won't this place be a perfect place to point out that it is wrong ? He said: they pay tithe but have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

He didn't say don't pay tithe, just be holy, instead he said : and not to leave the other undone.

He didn't say do this instead. Faith without works is dead, neither can any man by works alone see God. The two go hand in hand that's why Jesus said : these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

In fact Jesus said that if your righteousness doesn't exceed that of the Pharisees, you can't see God.

The two go hand in hand. Faith goes with works.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by saintmark88(m): 6:11am On Nov 08, 2017
hardasan:

The entire old testament is Judaism, Christ was born into Judaism, Christ practiced Judaism. Christ never condemned Judaism but lessened the burden of the law by bringing grace.
If you don't believe the OT, you aren't a christian and I shouldn't be debating with you on this.

Why ur argument is floored,.if u so believe in the law, den why are u singling out just one and practicing it.....y not also practice all the laws of moses ,miss old testament

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by saintmark88(m): 6:16am On Nov 08, 2017
hardasan:

Your argument is flawed.

The old testament isn't useless, the old testament was included in the bible for reference sake not to be practiced. The ten commandments was summed into two by Jesus in the new. The old testament, d book of isiah, Daniel and all others point to the new testament. These books are included in the Torah, used by the Jews.

They are needed for christains to read to have a better understanding of things, not practice the laws, if ur going to practice d laws, den y not practice all.of.them, y choose the ones ull practice and leave the rest...hope u can c ur hypocrisy

6 Likes

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 8:36am On Nov 08, 2017
saintmark88:

The old testament isn't useless, the old testament was included in the bible for reference sake not to be practiced. The ten commandments was summed into two by Jesus in the new. The old testament, d book of isiah, Daniel and all others point to the new testament. These books are included in the Torah, used by the Jews.

They are needed for christains to read to have a better understanding of things, not practice the laws, if ur going to practice d laws, den y not practice all.of.them, y choose the ones ull practice and leave the rest...hope u can c ur hypocrisy
saintmark88:

Why ur argument is floored,.if u so believe in the law, den why are u singling out just one and practicing it.....y not also practice all the laws of moses ,miss old testament

The OT is not there to tell us cock and bull stories or to make the bible more voluminous. The OT is not just the law. The OT is an important part of Christianity.
Christianity is Judaism plus Grace. Does grace nullify the law? No.
The bible said: "Shall we now continue in sin that grace may abound ? God forbid "
Grace came to help us to be holy, grace didn't wipe away the law. What is sin / iniquity ? Disobedience to the law. Jesus said: Go and sin no more. Not go and live as you wish, my grace is there for you.

Jesus and the apostles quoted the OT when preaching. Jesus would say: that it may be fulfilled which was written

Since the OT didn't matter, why did he care about the prophecies in it.
Moses law says an eye for an eye and promotes self righteousness. Jesus says go and sin no more, forgive and the righteousness of God because self righteousness alone can't enter heaven.
The early Christians were Jews who first believed that Jesus is the son of God and began to live according to his teachings of love, holy spirit, singleness of mind, modesty, humility etc. People said: these people are Christ-like and so the word Christian was born.

Some laws can't be practiced and I'll tell u why;
1. Slavery doesn't exist anymore
2. Nobody keeps cows and the like at home anymore
3. Fashion has changed from what it used to be.
4. The structure of the church has changed.
5. The mode of worship has changed in ways like using the blood/name of Jesus for forgiveness of sins, healing, casting out demons, praying to God, etc
6. Ability to pray from anywhere not just from the temple.
7. Freedom to eat what was once forbidden.
8. Ability to stand in the presence of God 24/7. Before, menstruation defiled women and anyone who touches her, sex defiled, dirty clothes defiled, not being full blooded jew from your 3rd or 5th ancestral line (from your parents upwards) defiled, sicknesses defiled, deformity defiled, miscarriage defiled, wrong hairstyle defiled etc but grace and the blood of Jesus has changed all that.
9. Blood sacrifice is now forbidden so we don't keep the feast of the passover, but we keep the Lord's supper.
10. Compulsory observation of holy days has been stopped.

Why? As a woman in her menstrual period, as you stand now, the blood of Jesus is covering you 24/7. When you touch an unclean person, immediately, the blood of Jesus washes you so at every point, you're being covered or washed by the blood. Does it mean those things don't defile again? No they still do but there's now grace standing in 24/7 so it doesn't matter anymore.

If I remember any more, I'll add. All these laws were stopped by Jesus and (or) the apostles in the new testament.

So we don't practice them. Anything else that they didn't condemn is lawful and biblical.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by BERNIMOORE: 9:14am On Nov 08, 2017
hardasan:
God commanded tithing and offerings. If you want to pay yours when you get to heaven, that's your business, but don't go about stumbling people Christ died for cus it will be better for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for you.

Cc: lalasticlala Seun
God commanded Tithe for sons of jacob(isreal) and not you....you need to establish how you are connected with the isrealites.no pastor or G.O Today has the legitimate right to receive tithe unto the lord
Levites are sons of jacob

Malachi 3:6
“For I am the Lord, I do not change;
Therefore you are not consumed, [b]O sons of Jacob
Yet from the days of your fathers
You have gone away from My ordinances
And have not kept them.

levites sons of jacob have 'a commandment a written order' to legitimately receive tithe. pls read the same verse of the hebrew you quoted;

Hebrews 7
5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham
Now i have faced a redeem church resident pastor with this he said that 'pastors today are representing the tribe of Levites' then i show him this verse below and ask a qustion, pls read before i ask;

14[i] For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood [/i]
the question is ''if God wants to validate tithe arrangement and todays pastors are representing 'levites' WHY IS THE CHIEF PRIEST 'JESUS OUR LORD AROSE 'NOT FROM TRIBE OF LEVI' BUT FROM JUDAH....tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood? remember that Aron the chief priest is a levite (go and read about bible priesthood arrangement)

But before you answer me let me point this out
Hebrew 7: 12
12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.

so todays pastors have [b]no legitimate right to receive tithe unto the lord if they do it 'NA OVERSABI'

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Gggg102(m): 9:36am On Nov 08, 2017
hardasan:

The law is part of Judaism just as the book of psalms. Every book in the OT was written by a Jewish prophet. You can't remove the law from Judaism neither can u remove psalms, proverbs, Jeremiah, Isiah etc. They have jews and Judaism written all over.
Christianity in itself is an ofshoot of Judaism. In other words, Christianity is pure Judaism with grace instead of the law. Grace covered many do's and donts. Does it mean the law is no more important, no. The 10 commandements is the law, under the 10 commandements, it's said : Thou shalt not fornicate and thou shalt not commit adultery. Under the grace, Christ said if you even look at a woman and lust after her in your heart, you have sinned. So did christ condemn the law, no. He even put more rules but we don't feel it cus he crowned it all with grace. Okay you talked about love being all we need.

If you love God, you wont worship other God's,
If you love your gf, you wont defile her before marriage, if you love your parents, you wont hop from bed to bed, you'll keep yourself.
If you love your neighbor, you wont sleep with his wife.
If you love your neighbor, you wont kill him, you wont covet his belongings neither will you steal from him.
If you love your neighbor, when he's hungry you'll feed him, when he's naked, you'll clothe him etc.
That's what Christ meant by love being the greatest and most important.
The same psalms talks about praising god with your whole heart, with your dance, with your hands and with your substance.

Tithing was mentioned outside the books of law (Gen - Deut( in Malachi 3 vs 7 -12.
Jesús condemned pharisees who were hypocrites but felt that their tithes make them righteous. He didn't condemn tithing.
What use is tithing without righteousness, what use is faith without works ?
At the end, we aren't being judged by how much tithe we paid but about how sincere we were in keeping God's word. God's word contains the law, the law contains tithing, God's word contains righteousness, God's word contains love. You can't be sincere with God and pick one and drop one.
Jesús spoke to some people in parables and revealed the meaning of the parables to some.
One day my pastor gave an example. He said during counseling, a woman came and asked if was okay for her to take a job which mandates her to dress "sexy". Before he could say no, the holy spirit told him to tell her yes. And he did. She smiled and she left. That same day, another woman came and asked iif she could take that same type of job, the Holy Spirit said : tell her no and he did. Later he asked God why he misled one and saved one. God replied : the heart of the first woman was already made up so your no won't have changed her mind instead she'll go about slandering your name. While the second one sincerely needed direction.

Be a good christian, ask for the holy spiand sincerely ask the holy spirit for directions. You'll get it, and when you do, 10% will be too small to give to God in your eyes.

you are not getting my point.
you asked if we should discard the old covenant because we are not under the law and I said that not everything in the old testament is law.
your other paragraph
that is why I said Jesus came to summarize the old testament to make it easier.
Jesus is more concerned with our inner self
if our inner self is pure it will manifest in our outward self but if we just paint our outward self to look good it won't work.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:01am On Nov 08, 2017
Gggg102:

you asked if we should discard the old covenant because we are not under the law and I said that not everything in the old testament is law.
your other paragraph
if our inner self is pure it will manifest in our outward self but if we just paint our outward self to look good it won't work.

Faith without works is dead. No man can see God by works alone.
The law still stands but grace covers it so much that we almost don't feel it again.

Some laws can't be practiced and I'll tell u why;
1. Slavery doesn't exist anymore
2. Nobody keeps cows and the like at home anymore
3. Fashion has changed from what it used to be.
4. The structure of the church has changed.
5. The mode of worship has changed in ways like using the blood/name of Jesus for forgiveness of sins, healing, casting out demons, praying to God, etc
6. Ability to pray from anywhere not just from the temple.
7. Freedom to eat what was once forbidden.
8. Ability to stand in the presence of God 24/7. Before, menstruation defiled women and anyone who touches her, sex defiled, dirty clothes defiled, not being full blooded jew from your 3rd or 5th ancestral line (from your parents upwards) defiled, sicknesses defiled, deformity defiled, miscarriage defiled, wrong hairstyle defiled etc but grace and the blood of Jesus has changed all that.
9. Blood sacrifice is now forbidden so we don't keep the feast of the passover, but we keep the Lord's supper.
10. Compulsory observation of holy days and celibacy has been stopped.

If I remember any more, I'll add. All these laws were stopped by Jesus and (or) the apostles in the new testament.

So we don't practice them. Anything else that they didn't condemn is lawful and biblical.

The bible says : Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound ? God forbid.
What is sin ? Sin is disobedience to the word of God. The law is part of the word of God.

If Jesus and the blood of Jesus has covered us from 80% of the law, do we sweep away the remaining 20% to meet their brothers that are covered ? The bible says God forbid.
Any law not condemned still stands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by hardasan(f): 10:03am On Nov 08, 2017
Gggg102:

your other paragraph

And yes, Jesus placed priority on inner purity. But he didn't condemn tithe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

My Annoying Experience At SCOAN As A First-Timer By Ivan-Whyte Eagle Lawson / Fulani Women In Hijab Join Lord's Chosen Members For Crusade In Kwara. Photos / Over 20 Killed At Night-Vigil In Uke, Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.