Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria (20996 Views)

‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ / Don’t Let Me Die, Lady Bathed With Acid By Ex-lover Cries. / Acid Rain To Fall Between 20 - 28 Of This Month---Warning! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by wkkwl: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2010
the national space agency has given a notice to the general public both in the niger delta and other parts of the states, it said in the news, any rain dat falls from today, from sunday to till the end of dis month, mite posible, be an acid rain, it has told members of nt stay under dis rain, dnt even let it touch you, the result is skin cancer, a word is enuf for the wise,
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Cmiller(m): 3:01pm On Mar 21, 2010
So we hv grown so bold enuf 2 say dt God's rain is goin 2 b acidic,God plz forgive them n make doz acid rain fall only on dia houses Amen.*
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Woke4all(m): 5:40pm On Mar 21, 2010
Cmiller:

So we hv grown so bold enuf 2 say dt God's rain is goin 2 b acidic,God plz forgive them n make doz acid rain fall only on dia houses Amen.*

Na ignorance go kill una, This is scientifically proven. Oh! oh!! I see, May you don't know what is acid said rain. No be dat kind acid wey you dey think Ooo
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by dominique(f): 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2010
@OP
so they should carry litmus papers aroind to check if it' acid rain that is falling or not huh

Cmiller:

seems you feel asleep in your sience classes. let me see if i can explain the basics of acie rain.

if water (rain) H2O mixes with atmospheric carbon IV oxide, it forms a slightly acidic com pond called H2CO3 or what we call tri-oxo-carcbnate V acid. in situations where that happens, it's called acid rain. its not the kind of acid that burns the skin o! but it's harmful to plants and corrodes metals.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Feraz(m): 1:58am On Mar 22, 2010
dominique:

@OP
so they should carry litmus papers aroind to check if it' acid rain that is falling or not huh

seems you feel asleep in your sience classes. let me see if i can explain the basics of acie rain.

if water (rain) H2O mixes with atmospheric carbon IV oxide, it forms a slightly acidic com pond called H2CO3 or what we call tri-oxo-carcbnate V acid. in situations where that happens, it's called acid rain. its not the kind of acid that burns the skin o! but it's harmful to plants and corrodes metals.
u go fear scholar! Been hearing abt it even on facebook.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25am On Mar 22, 2010
Oooh thats no good. Pollution = human destruction. Now we have to "reap the benefits of our labour". lipsrsealed Humans are such tards at times.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Osama10(m): 3:05am On Mar 22, 2010
Just like the rest of them.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 4:23am On Mar 22, 2010
Na wa for this acid rain madness ooo. even the weather self don change. shocked
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by gidson12(m): 4:47am On Mar 22, 2010
So once weather change na 2 begin go hide
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 4:51am On Mar 22, 2010
gidson12:

So once weather change na 2 begin go hide

I no talk so, me self dey fear.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Bluhazel: 5:13am On Mar 22, 2010
When the Govt should have stopped gas flaring by oil companies, they refused, only for them to keep on extending deadline to stop gas flaring by these greedy, carefree companies. In some oil producing parts within some months of roofing your house, the roof will start rusting and change their original colour even when the manufacturers of these roofs claim that they are rust-proof and would maintain thier original colour for a period of more than 10 years. Which means that we've been having acid rain for sometimes now, it's not new, you even see the result on plants. It started in Niger Delta, now it has spread to other parts of Nigeria (although i'm not surprised, uncontained gases knows on boundaries). It's too bad that these companies are always getting away with thier crimes. Now the problem is affecting everybody even our greedy govt officials.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by cvibe: 5:38am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain has been falling for donkey years due to pollution from gas flaring, exhaust fumes etc.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by emisun(m): 6:19am On Mar 22, 2010
It seems ignorance is on the increase this day if not why would somebody say a global weather phenomenon is being caused by gas flaring in the niger delta.for your information NASA had long since jan issued this warning.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 6:20am On Mar 22, 2010
this happens every time it rains.
so its not a big deal
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Mhismole(f): 6:48am On Mar 22, 2010
sulad82i:

this happens every time it rains.
so its not a big deal

I swear, esp in lagos, with all those fumes,

abeg jare. this is ignorance at its best.

dont worry ur umbrella's will withstand the acid. iranu. kmt.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by mescapee: 6:58am On Mar 22, 2010
Our climate and weather conditions has really changed. Global warming everywhere, earthquakes of great magnitudes in many places, diseases and ailments with no cure, e.t.c.

Just yesterday, Sunday 21-03-2010, in the eastern region and environs (around 10a.m. in the morning) the weather was so calm, the sun was not scorching but when you look at it, it has the colour of the moon and you cannot really gaze at it.

Not long afterwards, a bit of harmattan set in. Can anyone explain the brief harmattan experienced yesterday (march ending) when we should expecting the rains? I was in Owerri and P.H. yesterday.

The bottomline then is that our weather has become unpredictable. Whatever you hear, you had better take the necessary precautions before arguing and doubting.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by saintneo(m): 6:58am On Mar 22, 2010
dominique:

if water (rain) H2O mixes with atmospheric carbon IV oxide, it forms a slightly acidic com pond called H2CO3 or what we call tri-oxo-carcbnate V acid. in situations where that happens, it's called acid rain. its not the kind of acid  that burns the skin o! but  it's harmful to plants and corrodes metals.
nwa gara sukulu! grin
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 22, 2010
dominique:

if water (rain) H2O mixes with atmospheric carbon IV oxide, it forms a slightly acidic com pond called H2CO3 or what we call tri-oxo-carcbnate V acid. in situations where that happens, it's called acid rain. its not the kind of acid  that burns the skin o! but  it's harmful to plants and corrodes metals.
LOL I can bet you that 95% of the Nigerians reading this thread felt relief when they read this lol
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by fola4asset(m): 7:08am On Mar 22, 2010
Is tym 4 us 2 talk my broda,how wil go tak survive 4 ds dat den dey tak abt.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 22, 2010
I wonder what d gov are doing in order to spread this imformation around, those in d rural area hw are goin to get this imformation for neccesary precaution.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by sayso: 7:14am On Mar 22, 2010
I do not  know if the sudden dry weather has anything to do with this acid rain,but there is actually something happening in our horizone,Niger Delta.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by SwtzMinx(f): 7:18am On Mar 22, 2010
.hmmm. . .at least we know now.
.no running nd playin' ar0und in d rain til april *sigh* :-(
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:22am On Mar 22, 2010
I wonder who's spreading this balderdash,walking or even swimming in acid rain is no more dangerous than swimming in clean rain water.

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 22, 2010
Hw are they going to tell those villages who depend on rain water as their only sources?
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:25am On Mar 22, 2010
@[size=28pt] Mod/admin

How on earth did a very misleading post on a very sensitive topic that does not have an authentic link make it to the homepage[/size]
 undecided angry
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:27am On Mar 22, 2010
Who is spreading this balderdash

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:30am On Mar 22, 2010
[size=16pt]ACID RAIN DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER PLEASE[/size]

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by lanrei(m): 7:32am On Mar 22, 2010
But i fit Bleep inside am, But rain coat
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by mayor007(m): 7:41am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain has been falling for ages now. Wonder why itz just getting frontpage attention in Nigeria. It is a form of rain that is unusually acidic and has harmful effects on plants and aquatic animals. Caused by emissions of compounds of ammonium, carbon, nitrogen and sulphur. Caused naturally by the splitting of nitrogen compounds by the energy produced by the lightening strikes or the release of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions. WE ARE IN THE END TIME.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Mhismole(f): 7:52am On Mar 22, 2010
mayor007:

Acid rain has been falling for ages now. Wonder why itz just getting frontpage attention in Nigeria. It is a form of rain that is unusually acidic and has harmful effects on plants and aquatic animals. Caused by emissions of compounds of ammonium, carbon, nitrogen and sulphur. Caused naturally by the splitting of nitrogen compounds by the energy produced by the lightening strikes or the release of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions. WE ARE IN THE END TIME.

lool this just contradicted your whole epistle
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by next1(m): 7:54am On Mar 22, 2010
mayor007:

Acid rain has been falling for ages now. Wonder why itz just getting frontpage attention in Nigeria. It is a form of rain that is unusually acidic and has harmful effects[b] on plants and aquatic animals[/b]. Caused by emissions of compounds of ammonium, carbon, nitrogen and sulphur. Caused naturally by the splitting of nitrogen compounds by the energy produced by the lightening strikes or the release of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions. WE ARE IN THE END TIME.

correct analysis.

Acid rain is rain or any other form of precipitation that is unusually acidic, i.e. elevated levels of hydrogen ions (low pH). It can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals, and infrastructure [/b]through the process of wet deposition. Acid rain is caused by emissions of compounds of ammonium, carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur  which react with the water molecules in the atmosphere to produce acids. Governments have made efforts[b] since the 1970s to reduce the production of sulfuric oxides into the Earth's atmosphere with positive results. However, it can also be caused naturally by the splitting of nitrogen compounds by the energy produced by lightning  strikes, or the release of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere by volcano eruptions.

HOWEVER,

Scientists have suggested direct links to human health.  Fine particles, a large fraction of which are formed from the same gases as acid rain (sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide), have been shown to cause illness and premature deaths such as cancer and other diseases. Meanwhile this doesn't mean the rain will burn like raw acid but continuous long term exposure can cause some health challenges.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by samuelk(m): 7:55am On Mar 22, 2010
rasputinn:

@[size=28pt] Mod/admin

How on earth did a very misleading post on a very sensitive topic that does not have an authentic link make it to the homepage[/size]
 undecided angry
just what i thought.i searched around NASA's site for that yesterday and saw nada.Wonder if i'm gonna take this news people carry around serious anymore,

radiation from mobile phone-poisoned apple from the north-acid rain to cause skin cancer shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Delta COVID-19 Team Members Have Died / Naira Scarcity: Death Figures Spike In Hospitals / 298 New COVID-19 Cases, 207 Discharged And 1 Death On August 16 - (2,036 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.