Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,047 members, 7,835,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria (21022 Views)

‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ / Don’t Let Me Die, Lady Bathed With Acid By Ex-lover Cries. / Acid Rain To Fall Between 20 - 28 Of This Month---Warning! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 22, 2010
Kx:

who is forecasting acid rain in nigeria?
does a nigerian met office have the capacity and technology to forecast
ordinary rainfall not to talk of acid rain?
if it is not NASA,cnn etc,forget it.
Although the lagos weather was foggy,neither hot nor cold yesterday,
i cant attribute that to some aboki's acid rain forecast.

You just had to go there! Meanwhile I bet 'aboki' isn't having acid rain problems!!
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by ronkeenuf(f): 11:18am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain is not necessarily water falling from the sky, it could be snow or particles, i.e., dust. Who knows, the 'harmatan-like' dusty occurrence could be  acid rain. What's of more importance is that acid rain, whatever form it may be, does not directly affect humans. It directly affects plants, lands, statues and more of aquatic beings. It is only gases inhaled that may cause asthma and lung infection.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by wondern(m): 11:19am On Mar 22, 2010
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by JUO(m): 11:21am On Mar 22, 2010
Na ignorance go kill una,  This is scientifically proven. Oh! oh!! I see,  May you don't know what is acid said rain.   No be dat kind acid wey you dey think Ooo
go sit dom. which scientific prove
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by usbcable(m): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2010
the link below tell more of the topic,

you can base your judgement on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain

but air pollution in Nigeria is far far far from what obtains in the developed countries(except in the niger delta)
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Dunddy(m): 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
I WONDER WHAT MANY PEOPLE ARGUE ABOUT. Why not do your researches on the internet and find out the truth. a simple googling would do the magic instead of debating on what is and what's not!

as far as a i know, the dust that has saturated the atmosphere is an acid precipitation.  those of you who have access to laboratories can carry out the test. gather dusts around and amd mix with water and then carry out a test for an acid.

if this rain would then fall, it has a butterfly effect which include: mortality in ponds, deaths in plants. aluminium is washed of the soil into the waters thereby increasing the level of metal in the water bodies, this in turn hampers the flouringshin of aquatic animals.  many of them die and thos that can adapt have their genetic formations changed (example is hiroshima). inevitably, food would become more scarce. healthwise, the consumption of fishes with concentrated metals in them could cause harm while a large quantity of the rain on humans MAY cause skin cancer which ultimately ends in death.

food scarcity would cause a rise in importation of food hence the prices of foodstuffs. this has a long run effect on the average and the lower class of the population. for government workers, there is agitation for increment in wages, causing labour strikes. this in turns hampers other economic sector of the country.
continuous analysis of this trend shows an imminent halt in a nation that has had no fuel to run on.

common sense should have told many people that an unusual is happening. taste your fingers. is it salty or bitter? do harmattan dusts taste like that?
precaution is always better than cure.
IT MAY NOT BE THAT SERIOUS but those who think it could happen should take precaution. those who think otherwise should go on with their business but please note that the government has no plan in place to help should the so called hypothesis holds water.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Olayinkaoj(m): 12:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
Its a lie. Dont mis-inform people, acid rain may have residual harmful substances.

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
Olayinkaoj you've got to be kidding us! who's going to read the whole volume of the text book like acid rain topic you just pasted? haba! i's too lenghty, shocked
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by maxtop(m): 12:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
World without end, grin
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Olayinkaoj(m): 12:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
@belladee

You may not necessarily real all, just scroll thru and have a brief info on the subject.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Olayinkaoj(m): 12:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
I have gone through the web page of NASA (the purported source of the acid rain warning) and I could not find any latest warning there. That is not to say we sld not take precautions but at the same time, I doubt the source of that information said to have emanated from NASA
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 12:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
looks like a chemistry text book. "talking abt not inhaling and the air penetrating homes, into lungs etc ".since you guys are now saying the water it self isnt harmfull but the very air we breathe in is, now tell me do i add gas mask to the list of my ANTI-ACID WAHALA GEDGET [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]or what?, someone had better say something cos we are going paranoid here cry
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Olayinkaoj(m): 1:06pm On Mar 22, 2010
@belladee
Last Saturday when the cloud got thick of hammattan-like dust, coincidentally, was the same day the sms spread wide.
That that, same thing happened in China, some part of America and Europe, where the atmosphere was said have have been polluted with thick dust particles. I saw it on the TV where some Chinese wore mast, so to answer your question, it depends on what happens , where and how.

olayinka2k2k@yahoo.com is the messenger ID if u care to talk more on it.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Witi(m): 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2010
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 1:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
I guessy son 's right , the cancer is spreading! lipsrsealed
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Beaf: 1:27pm On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain is not new in the Niger Delta. It is just one of the many and unfortunate form of polution that the govt has allowed to flourish in the area, while they drill oil and flare gas without a care in the World.
It causes cotton to rot and tear easily after a long period and corrodes metals rapidly (so zinc roofs dont last etc).
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Witi(m): 1:32pm On Mar 22, 2010
Effects of Acid Rain - Human Health
Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

Based on health concerns, SO2 and NOx have historically been regulated under the Clean Air Act, including the Acid Rain Program. In the eastern U.S., sulfate aerosols make up about 25 percent of fine particles. By lowering SO2 and NOx emissions from power generation, the Acid Rain Program will reduce the levels of fine sulfate and nitrate particles and so reduce the incidence and the severity of these health problems. When fully implemented by the year 2010, the public health benefits of the Acid Rain Program are estimated to be valued at $50 billion annually, due to decreased mortality, hospital admissions, and emergency room visits.

Decreases in NOx emissions are also expected to have a beneficial impact on human health by reducing the nitrogen oxides available to react with volatile organic compounds and form ozone. Ozone impacts on human health include a number of morbidity and mortality risks associated with lung inflammation, including asthma and emphysema.
http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 1:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
thanx but really right now im afraid to breathe the air outside , suddenly it doesnt feel safe anymore it .the atmosphere has this wierd look,the air feels strange in my nostrils, too late i've gone PARANOID , thanks to all ur scientific arguement and all the knw all bohaha, shhhsh already im outta here angry
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by deejaid(m): 2:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
whether u believe it's real or not, in either way u are correct, because u are what u say. let's be watchful and prayerful (psalm 91)

cheers
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by blinx4real(m): 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2010
[size=36pt]NASA did not issue any Acid rain warning!!! it is a lie[/size]
NASA did send out a notice on the haze and sand storm blowing across africa.
[size=20pt]Pls lets be responsible and sensible, review all information you recieve before acting on it![/size]
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by onyezebros(m): 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2010
if water (rain) H2O mixes with atmospheric carbon IV oxide, it forms a slightly acidic com pond called H2CO3 or what we call tri-oxo-carcbnate V acid. in situations where that happens, it's called acid rain. its not the kind of acid that burns the skin o! but it's harmful to plants and corrodes metals.pls acid rain does not cause CANCER.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by ikeduru: 3:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
If acid rain is not as dangerous as it is being pronounced;why,then, giving it such a trembling and fearful appelative nomenclature ? BULL SHIT !
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by zenus(m): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
Let's see.
but the situation here is unbearable
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by akwaowoudo(m): 3:09pm On Mar 22, 2010

embarassed I'm not scared.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by alldone(m): 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
it call for preparedness
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Wrex(m): 4:51pm On Mar 22, 2010
I am not sure of the authenticity of this information but i have one advise for nairalanders,Be Prepared.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Virgo83(m): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2010
What is Acid Rain?

"Acid rain" is a broad term referring to a mixture of wet and dry deposition (deposited material) from the atmosphere containing higher than normal amounts of nitric and sulfuric acids. The precursors, or chemical forerunners, of acid rain formation result from both natural sources, such as volcanoes and decaying vegetation, and man-made sources, primarily emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) resulting from fossil fuel combustion. In the United States, roughly 2/3 of all SO2 and 1/4 of all NOx come from electric power generation that relies on burning fossil fuels, like coal. Acid rain occurs when these gases react in the atmosphere with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form various acidic compounds. The result is a mild solution of sulfuric acid and nitric acid. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released from power plants and other sources, prevailing winds blow these compounds across state and national borders, sometimes over hundreds of miles.

*Wet Deposition

Wet deposition refers to acidic rain, fog, and snow. If the acid chemicals in the air are blown into areas where the weather is wet, the acids can fall to the ground in the form of rain, snow, fog, or mist. As this acidic water flows over and through the ground, it affects a variety of plants and animals. The strength of the effects depends on several factors, including how acidic the water is; the chemistry and buffering capacity of the soils involved; and the types of fish, trees, and other living things that rely on the water.

*Dry Deposition

In areas where the weather is dry, the acid chemicals may become incorporated into dust or smoke and fall to the ground through dry deposition, sticking to the ground, buildings, homes, cars, and trees. Dry deposited gases and particles can be washed from these surfaces by rainstorms, leading to increased runoff. This runoff water makes the resulting mixture more acidic. About half of the acidity in the atmosphere falls back to earth through dry deposition.

Effects of Acid Rain - Human Health

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

Based on health concerns, SO2 and NOx have historically been regulated under the Clean Air Act, including the Acid Rain Program. In the eastern U.S., sulfate aerosols make up about 25 percent of fine particles. By lowering SO2 and NOx emissions from power generation, the Acid Rain Program will reduce the levels of fine sulfate and nitrate particles and so reduce the incidence and the severity of these health problems. When fully implemented by the year 2010, the public health benefits of the Acid Rain Program are estimated to be valued at $50 billion annually, due to decreased mortality, hospital admissions, and emergency room visits.

Decreases in NOx emissions are also expected to have a beneficial impact on human health by reducing the nitrogen oxides available to react with volatile organic compounds and form ozone. Ozone impacts on human health include a number of morbidity and mortality risks associated with lung inflammation, including asthma and emphysema.

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/index.html, http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Virgo83(m): 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
What is Acid Rain?

"Acid rain" is a broad term referring to a mixture of wet and dry deposition (deposited material) from the atmosphere containing higher than normal amounts of nitric and sulfuric acids. The precursors, or chemical forerunners, of acid rain formation result from both natural sources, such as volcanoes and decaying vegetation, and man-made sources, primarily emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) resulting from fossil fuel combustion. In the United States, roughly 2/3 of all SO2 and 1/4 of all NOx come from electric power generation that relies on burning fossil fuels, like coal. Acid rain occurs when these gases react in the atmosphere with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form various acidic compounds. The result is a mild solution of sulfuric acid and nitric acid. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released from power plants and other sources, prevailing winds blow these compounds across state and national borders, sometimes over hundreds of miles.

Wet Deposition

Wet deposition refers to acidic rain, fog, and snow. If the acid chemicals in the air are blown into areas where the weather is wet, the acids can fall to the ground in the form of rain, snow, fog, or mist. As this acidic water flows over and through the ground, it affects a variety of plants and animals. The strength of the effects depends on several factors, including how acidic the water is; the chemistry and buffering capacity of the soils involved; and the types of fish, trees, and other living things that rely on the water.

Dry Deposition
In areas where the weather is dry, the acid chemicals may become incorporated into dust or smoke and fall to the ground through dry deposition, sticking to the ground, buildings, homes, cars, and trees. Dry deposited gases and particles can be washed from these surfaces by rainstorms, leading to increased runoff. This runoff water makes the resulting mixture more acidic. About half of the acidity in the atmosphere falls back to earth through dry deposition.

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by meeco: 5:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
for the much i know, d info is not a silly rumour, it was talked about in the Punch Newspapers, Fri, March 19. but it doesnt diretly cause cancer as it is rumoured to do. its not such a new thing and happens every and then in Highly polluted atmosheres in the first rains. we were taught in school that they cuase the green effect on the walls of houses and it shouldnt be drunk.[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nneomaj(f): 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2010
Jesus is coming very soon,i'd like 2 c NLanders in heaven,REPENT my lovly ppl.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by sley4life(m): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Meteorologist here should be able to answer
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by sley4life(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
Maybe its time 2 confess ur sins. Those that dont have a WILL should try and do so asap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Brown And Crusty Toe Nails / Lagos Discharges 10 Coronavirus Patients / 298 New COVID-19 Cases, 207 Discharged And 1 Death On August 16 - (2,036 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.