Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,169 members, 7,835,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria (21024 Views)

‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ / Don’t Let Me Die, Lady Bathed With Acid By Ex-lover Cries. / Acid Rain To Fall Between 20 - 28 Of This Month---Warning! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by NINETOFIVE(m): 8:07am On Mar 22, 2010
Our climate and weather conditions has really changed. Global warming everywhere, earthquakes of great magnitudes in many places, diseases and ailments with no cure, e.t.c.

[b]Just yesterday, Sunday 21-03-2010, in the eastern region and environs (around 10a.m. in the morning) the weather was so calm, the sun was not scorching but when you look at it, it has the colour of the moon and you cannot really gaze at it.[/b]Not long afterwards, a bit of harmattan set in. Can anyone explain the brief harmattan experienced yesterday (march ending) when we should expecting the rains? I was in Owerri and P.H. yesterday.

The bottomline then is that our weather has become unpredictable. Whatever you hear, you had better take the necessary precautions before arguing and doubting.

From what you explained above, it simply means that the sunshine in some parts of the country would with time get lighter and lighter and lose the orangeness and look more like the light from florescent  lamp, in a not shell white light and would spread to other 'parts of  the country signaling a new weather pattern, this weather pattern would grow more unpredictable, it would get more cloudy, it might get very hot sometimes but at the same time it might get cooler than usual, with time the whole of west Africa and south African weather would become more temperate.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:15am On Mar 22, 2010
@ Admin/Mod

Please warn your spambot,I've posted a link three times now to show that acid rain does not cause cancer,yet admin/mod and spambot keep deleting it

What's ur agenda,hope you guys don't want to mislead the public on purpose
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by elphem(m): 8:16am On Mar 22, 2010
I'm seeing another perspective to this issue, this is time for some people to make money, so as to quell the fear and need of protection for many
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:17am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:17am On Mar 22, 2010
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:19am On Mar 22, 2010
STOP PRESS

Please read this link before Mr Spambot executes his given assignment

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by toluxa1(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2010
This is what we have done to our World- Now we have to Run away from Natural things that God has made to be a blessing. We're being told to stay away from Sunlight cos we've destroyed our ozone layer. Few days ago, a great dust wind appeared everywhere and we're told to stay as much away from it as possible. Now its Rain. We're told Run away from it. We're at the very End people. THE END IS NIGH!
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2010
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:24am On Mar 22, 2010
C'MON GUYS STOP POSTING IGNORANTLY,why not google the effect of acid rain on human health and discover that this thread is spreading falsehood
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by toluxa1(m): 8:44am On Mar 22, 2010
Which Falsehood are you talking about buddy?

Acid rain affects human health adversely.
It has the ability of harming us
via the atmosphere as well as
the soil where the food we eat
is grown. Acid rain results in
toxic metals breaking loose from
the chemical compounds they
occur in naturally. While toxic
metals may be dangerous, but as
long as they exist in
combination with other
elements, they are not harmful.
Once acid rain causes these toxic
metals to be released they can
infiltrate into the drinking
water, and the animals or crops
that humans use as sources of
food. This contaminated food
can damage the nerves in
children, or result in severe brain
damage, or even death.
Scientists suspect that
aluminum, one of the toxic
metals affected by acid rain, is
associated with Alzheimer’s
disease.
Another adverse health effect
of acid rain on humans is the
respiratory problems it causes.
The emissions of nitrogen oxide
and sulfur dioxide cause
respiratory problems like throat,
nose and eye irritation;
headache; asthma; and dry
coughs. Acid rain is particularly
harmful for those who have
difficulty in breathing or suffer
from asthma. In fact, even the
lungs of healthy people can be
damaged by the pollutants in
acid air.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 8:49am On Mar 22, 2010
Actually the rain has no more effect than does swimming pool water, because both contain small amounts of chemicals. Its best to just bathe to remove it depending on how bad it is.

Normally it wont affect your skin unless you are collecting rain water in order to drink it.

cool
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Jeezy: 8:51am On Mar 22, 2010
saintneo:

nwa gara sukulu! grin

Thanks for the clarification, was gonna go shopping for some acid-proof rain gear!
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by cruworld(m): 9:02am On Mar 22, 2010
belladee:

Actually the rain has no more effect than does swimming pool water, because both contain small amounts of chemicals. Its best to just bathe to remove it depending on how bad it is.

Normally it wont affect your skin unless you are collecting rain water in order to drink it.

cool

rasputinn:

C'MON GUYS STOP POSTING IGNORANTLY,why not google the effect of acid rain on human health and discover that this thread is spreading falsehood

Human health
Scientists have suggested direct links to human health.[31] Fine particles, a large fraction of which are formed from the same gases as acid rain (sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide), have been shown to cause illness and premature deaths such as cancer and other diseases.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2010
hahaha i know that feeling,my mum called me close to midnight yesternite, called my name three times and asked me "how many times did i call you?". then she broke the acid rain news to me like i was hearing it for the first time.she then proceeded to give me a lecture on how to dress to prevent exposure!let me not bore you guys wit da details here's the summ.1)thick knee lenght rain boot ( 2)ankle lenth raincoat ,(3) a pair of garden gloves and (4)giant size umbrella lipsrsealed shocked
I had to google acid rain first thing this morn!!! grin
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Niggydip(m): 9:26am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain? No biggie! Lemmi even see what garri and acid rain tastes like sef, he he he,
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by jasmine21(f): 9:30am On Mar 22, 2010
All this talk of acid rain, maybe that's why we're experiencing the sudden change in weather. Harmattan in march is something i haven't experienced b4.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by ud4u: 9:33am On Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the info
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Suntemi(m): 9:53am On Mar 22, 2010
mescapee:

Just yesterday, Sunday 21-03-2010, in the eastern region and environs (around 10a.m. in the morning) the weather was so calm, the sun was not scorching but when you look at it, it has the colour of the moon and you cannot really gaze at it.

Not long afterwards, a bit of harmattan set in. Can anyone explain the brief harmattan experienced yesterday (march ending) when we should expecting the rains? I was in Owerri and P.H. yesterday.

I also noticed that here in Lagos yesterday.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by belladee(f): 9:59am On Mar 22, 2010
did too yesterday, my son raced in yesterday and screamed! muuummmmmmmmmmmy the cancer has started spreading every where's dusty!it looked like a haze
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by kehindebad(m): 10:02am On Mar 22, 2010
Eeeya  LMAO  grin
People funny small o,
Acid rain::: melting skin, lol,

anyways, what kinda rain do you think has been falling since then, basic rain, lol

while, you're it, no take your bath o, you didn't know the pipe's are probably corroded

You wanna really do something about this? then try in ur little way to reduce Global Warming, o Tan
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Dunddy(m): 10:04am On Mar 22, 2010
Niggydip:

Acid rain? No biggie! Lemmi even see what garri and acid rain tastes like sef, he he he,
nor kill person with laff jooo grin

fola4asset:

Is tym 4 us 2 talk my broda,how wil go tak survive 4 ds dat den dey tak abt.
was that gibberish? effect of acid rain on vocabuary!
lmao grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Kx: 10:10am On Mar 22, 2010
who is forecasting acid rain in nigeria?
does a nigerian met office have the capacity and technology to forecast
ordinary rainfall not to talk of acid rain?
if it is not NASA,cnn etc,forget it.
Although the lagos weather was foggy,neither hot nor cold yesterday,
i cant attribute that to some aboki's acid rain forecast.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by splashbaby(m): 10:16am On Mar 22, 2010
yorke:

Hw are they going to tell those villages who depend on rain water as their only sources?
Tell them to stop drinking and using rain water!
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by otokx(m): 10:17am On Mar 22, 2010
This is thrash; arrant nonsense.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by biozy(m): 10:21am On Mar 22, 2010
"Acid rain" is a popular term referring to the deposition of wet (rain, snow, sleet, fog and cloudwater, dew) and dry (acidifying particles and gases) acidic components. A more accurate term is “acid deposition”. Distilled water, once carbon dioxide is removed, has a neutral pH of 7. Liquids with a pH less than 7 are acidic, and those with a pH greater than 7 are bases. “Clean” or unpolluted rain has a slightly acidic pH of about 5.2, because carbon dioxide and water in the air react together to form carbonic acid, a weak acid (pH 5.6 in distilled water), but unpolluted rain also contains other chemicals.[1]
H2O (l) + CO2 (g) → H2CO3 (aq)
Carbonic acid then can ionize in water forming low concentrations of hydronium and carbonate ions:
2 H2O (l) + H2CO3 (aq) CO32− (aq) + 2 H3O+ (aq)
Acid deposition as an environmental issue would include additional acids to H2CO3.

Potential problem areas in the future
Places like much of Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand), Western South Africa (the country), Southern India and Sri Lanka and even West Africa (countries like Ghana, Togo and Nigeria) could all be prone to acidic rainfall in the future.

FOR MORE INFO CHECK wikipedia.org.
my 2kobo!
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by toluxa1(m): 10:25am On Mar 22, 2010
Acid rain affects human health adversely. It has the ability of harming us via the atmosphere as well as the soil where the food we eat is grown. Acid rain results in toxic metals breaking loose from the chemical compounds they occur in naturally. While toxic metals may be dangerous, but as long as they exist in combination with other elements, they are not harmful. Once acid rain causes these toxic metals to be released they can infiltrate into the drinking water, and the animals or crops that humans use as sources of food. This contaminated food can damage the nerves in children, or result in severe brain damage, or even death.
Another adverse health effect of acid rain on humans is the respiratory problems it causes. The emissions of nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide cause respiratory problems like throat, nose and eye irritation; headache; asthma; and dry coughs. Acid rain is particularly harmful for those who have difficulty in breathing or suffer from asthma. In fact, even the lungs of healthy people can be damaged by the pollutants in acid air.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by koolme: 10:34am On Mar 22, 2010
Small time now we go hear say make we no chop fish(wey don liv for acid wata) and vegetable(wey don absorb acid wata)
as if d wata wey wan come from heaven diff from d ones wey don dey com b4.
Abeg, make una al go sidon somwher.acid rain ko, basic rain ni. Ok. Mak una tel me d tin wey dey dirty the air al around. No b d acid, wey d rain go join com fal 4 una bodi?
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by debosky(m): 10:37am On Mar 22, 2010
Ignorance is a terrible thing.

Acid rain is simply the usual rain coupled with some dilute acid formed due to the dissolution of  acid gases e.g. SO2 and NO2 and CO2 (not only CO2).

It doesn't cause cancer, but can cause damage to plant life and materials and possibly the skin (depending on the concentration) due to the acidic content of the rain.

Acid rain has been falling in the delta for over 20 years now due to gas flaring - why would there suddenly be an issue now?

Ignorance leads to alarmist information being passed around and taken as truth.  undecided

You sometimes wonder if we have left the dark ages in Nigeria - people are just too lazy to THINK for themselves most of the time and accept whatever information they are given, whether it is pure garbage or actually useful.
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 22, 2010
rasputinn:

@[size=28pt] Mod/admin

How on earth did a very misleading post on a very sensitive topic that does not have an authentic link make it to the homepage[/size]
 undecided angry

[size=32pt] They wont lock this one, that has no link of proof. But they find it so easy to lock any other thread that doesnt go well with their personal opinnion.[/size]
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by fili24: 11:03am On Mar 22, 2010
Actually the rain has no effect than does swimming pool water, because both contain small amounts of chemicals. Its best to just bathe to remove it depending on how bad it is.
Normally it wont affect your skin unless you are collecting rain water in order to drink it
Re: Acid Rain Forecast In Parts Of Nigeria by seeme2(f): 11:10am On Mar 22, 2010
For all the ifnorant ones who think its rable rousing,,  angry i say you are the type of people i pray God to punish every day! stupid people who doesnt want to learn, ehm grin sorry, its a lie oh!, there is no acid rain, in fact it is a rain of blessing, next time it rains, expose your body to it!
Idiots!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Brown And Crusty Toe Nails / Lagos Discharges 10 Coronavirus Patients / 298 New COVID-19 Cases, 207 Discharged And 1 Death On August 16 - (2,036 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.