Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. (1159 Views)

Message And Mails Shared Between Sugarbelly And Mustapha 2008 / How Will Nigeria Dept Be Shared If Disintegration Occurs? / How 3.566 Trillion Naira Of Fuel Subsidy Fund Was Shared Between 2006 And 2011. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 12:36pm On Feb 22, 2007
I recently had a very interesting conversation with an elder in my family. He said as Nigeria stands it was important that all tribes got a chance to lead the country. I asked him why are we not all Nigerians? Does it matter which tribe our ruler is from? and he said yes it was important to show that everyone was important and until we lose the suspicion's we have about it each thats the way it should be till Nigeria is more united.

I thought about what he said for a long time and I think he has a point.

What do you others think? We've have enough Hausa leaders a Yoruba is currently there is it not time for the Igbos to take the reins?
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by ugodaniel(m): 12:40pm On Feb 22, 2007
You're right but the problem is, well i'll get back to you, let me go and take care of a very important assignment! i have a feeling you know which grin
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 1:20pm On Feb 22, 2007
ANd then theres the south south issuses which need to be addressed before there is civil war!
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by ugodaniel(m): 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2007
@LadyT

The problems with us Ibo's is that we can't trust ourselves let alone, trust others, we are always dancing to da tune of da highest bidder in terms of who can offer the most money.

And until we're able to trust ourselves and be able to produce ONLY ONE Presidential candidate for future elections, i'm afraid the status quo will remain

As an aside, LadyT, where in London are you! My Aunt stays in Thamesmead but i am in Manchester. Wouldnt mind apologising for all my deeds to you in person smiley wink cheesy grin kiss
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 1:37pm On Feb 22, 2007
Dont be silly. Just because we insulted each other doesnt mean I hate you. I fight with my family but that doesnt mean I hate them! People fight today and agree tomorrow that is life.

The problems you stated are not exclusive to Ibos alone. Its a Nigeria problem we are just too greedy!
I think if for now power is not shared between tribes we will see another Biafra. I dont think we should split we are stronger together.

We have been thrown together but in a way it was to our advantage I mean we are stupidly rich as a country. Nigeria has the potential to be a leading African nation we just need to sort it out.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by shutmouth(m): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2007
Wouldnt mind apologising for all my deeds to you in person

ugodaniel  and Afam

Do I call you prodigal sons?
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by ugodaniel(m): 7:31pm On Feb 22, 2007
shutmouth:

ugodaniel and Afam

Do I call you prodigal sons?

whatever! lipsrsealed
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by McKren(m): 10:51am On Feb 23, 2007
ugodaniel:

@LadyT

The problems with us Ibo's is that we can't trust ourselves let alone, trust others, we are always dancing to da tune of da highest bidder in terms of who can offer the most money.

And until we're able to trust ourselves and be able to produce ONLY ONE Presidential candidate for future elections, i'm afraid the status quo will remain

As an aside, LadyT, where in London are you! My Aunt stays in Thamesmead but i am in Manchester. Wouldnt mind apologising for all my deeds to you in person smiley wink cheesy grin kiss

Sorry man, there is nothing wrong with us the Igbos. I think you got it all wrong.
The Igbos are democratic by nature and don't do blind loyalty, we follow what we believe in and what we think is right no matter who is at the recieving end of our actions. This is not necessarily because of money but generally to pursue interests some of which are informed by protecting national interest. e.g in 1million years Orji Kalu does not get my vote merely because he is Igbo.

If every other Nigerian tribes men thought that way our country would have been a better place. We have situation where an hausa will prefer to vote the biggest fool merely because he is his tribesman against a southern candidate and that has not helped us as a country.

Though there is hope, these days we have a Ribadu openly attacking a fellow Notherner in the pursuit of what he believes in. Same goes for El-Rufai. So somehow we are getting there.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 9:28pm On Feb 23, 2007
McKren you are talking because you have morals Igbo or no Igbo Yoruba or not Yoruba etc money talks. Currently money is the only thing that talks.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by abdkabir(m): 10:55pm On Feb 24, 2007
My LadyT,

Nice thoughts but then it would probably take us (300-1)*4 =1194 years to get united. It's estimated that there are about2 50 tribes in naija. I used 300 to allow 4 error
.Abi u go say the ibibio, ijaws, itsekiri,fulani,benin,, are not peoples to.

All the crap about nigeria is made up of Hause,Igbo and Yoruba should be eliminated. I liked ur attempt at bringing such an idea to the nairaland floor but thats not d way.

The way is the path of mutual respect and democracy.

Devolution of powers from d center
True federalism.
Nationalism and not the bull shit of tribalism we are still engaged in.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by lewa(m): 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2007
devolution of power at the center, regional control of resources,true federalism in evey sense,-Alhaji abd, you cannot be more correct!This would lessen the penchant corruption at the center since the presidential system makes for absolutism which OBJ and others after him may want to misuse!With true federalism, rotation of power would not be necessary because hopefully all peoples would be caterd for!However the powers that be would not agree!
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by abdkabir(m): 12:14am On Feb 25, 2007
I dey with u pa.

Infact u should be VP candidate to Pat UTOMI.

Hope u have not problems with Baba Agba or else u EFCC might be seeing u.Anyway if that happens , we'II change u candidature an dgive it to Seun.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 12:27am On Feb 25, 2007
I understand what you are saying abdkabir but majority carries the vote and I think those three tribes in particular are ones most interested in power and are always fighting over it.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by abdkabir(m): 12:33am On Feb 25, 2007
Allow me disagree with u on that issue.

All being quest for power. Put the the Minority people there and u will see how well they will grasp it.

D Solution.: True Federalism.HOw many time will i repeat this.

Infact, I should contest for Presidency grin grin grin grin grin.

I will be counting on your vote.

Vote me 4 president.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 12:35am On Feb 25, 2007
I feel tho the south south tribes you mentioned dont seem to be power hunger like us Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa's they just want the abuse regarding oil that goes on in their land to stop!

I just feel this monoploy tribes are having over the control of the country needs to stop.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by abdkabir(m): 12:42am On Feb 25, 2007
Not power wetin.Do u really think they down want to control their destiny? And if possible control d destiny of other Nigerians.That what power is about.

Its just that we need the one who would control us to the right path and not to destruction.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 12:54am On Feb 25, 2007
We dont trust each other. If we are not careful War part two is coming.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by abdkabir(m): 1:01am On Feb 25, 2007
Abi o.
Hopefully sha, things will get better by God's grace.
Re: Should Leadership Be Shared Between Tribes. by LadyT(f): 1:03am On Feb 25, 2007
Amen to that.

Can I just say I love Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie she is a gifted writer! Im reading her book on the War very balanced view from a proud Igbo woman!

(1) (Reply)

Obj Questioned By London Police / Abacha's Son Found Guilty In Geneva / Who Is The Next Nigeria President, Goodluck Jonathan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.