Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,838 members, 7,813,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent (3618 Views)

Do You Fake Being A Christian As An Atheist In Nigeria? / Did You Become An Atheist In 2018? / Why Are Majority Of Atheist Ex Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by adepeter2027(m): 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
konjinus:
so Jesus asked his followers to love their enemies. Are u taking advantage of that weakness in Christianity
Hallelujah.

There is weakness in Christianity

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by hopefulLandlord: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2017
Stupid thread

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 12, 2017
konjinus:
I notice u hardly find an igbo man or Hausa man that's atheist . But many of our Yoruba brothers claim to be atheist even though they visit native doctor or clerics for black magic and protection. Pls Nairalanders I'm curious help me cos I don't know why
Stupidity - a behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgement.

If I say your thread is stupid, take note that it's not an insult.

Kindly answer these questions:

How did you arrive at the conclusion that MAJORITY of Nigerian atheists are of Yoruba descent? Always question your assumptions before coming to ask questions based on those dubious assumptions.

What evidence do you have to prove that Yoruba atheists visit native doctors and clerics for black magic and protection? Another assumption?
Tozara

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 12, 2017
stephleena:
[s]lol...its common amongst them...Christianity is for the igbos ,while Islam is for the Hausa's.. so wat do I want them to do??some of them are traditionalists, while some choose to sit on the fence..[/s]
Shut up.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 12, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Jonnydon22, sonofluc1fer, Plaeton, Joseph etc are you guys also Yoruba? cheesy

The funny part is that the biggest players in Christendom today like Adeboye, T B Joshua, Oyedepo, Kumuyi, Ashimolowo, Coza, Daystar etc are all Yoruba that most of your relatives enrich with your tithes but anyway, its not my business cheesy

Continue paying and tribalising it until Oyedepo doubles his jets to 8 and his universities to 6 cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 9:33pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
Shut up.

LMAO grin grin grin

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
bskyb:
Most atheists are critical thinkers, in fact their choice of atheism is typically a result of deep rumination. Also, most are learned and economically advanced. You would agree with me that it is difficult for poor men to be atheists; that is the reason why atheism thrives among people in advanced countries.
For example, they rarely have to pray for electricity, school admission etc.
Expatiating further may be misinterpreted, as some people may interpret it to promote ethnocentrism.
I am not an atheist, but I have seen the pattern atheism takes.
I think I get what you're trying to say. grin

What you have in mind is probably the wrong line of thought, though.

Are you Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by hopefulLandlord: 9:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
How did you arrive at the conclusion that MAJORITY of Nigerian atheists are of Yoruba decent? Always question your assumptions before coming to ask questions based on those dubious assumptions.
This is what makes the thread very stupid

Is there a gathering of atheists where they ask for our National ID cards and keep records of our full real names and tribe?

is he checking out Nairaland monickers and assuming their tribe? perhaps, he sees HopefulLandlord and goes "this monicker sounds *insert tribe*"; sees NPComplete and goes "This guy definitely is *insert tribe*"

is it that he noticed that overwhelming majority of the real life atheists he knows are Yorubas? "Seun is an atheist", "Bolade, that tall guy, is an atheist", "Tolani is an atheist"

does he have an all seeing eye that took the census and arrived at the conclusion?

I hope, for his sake, that the third one is the reason for creating this thread cuz that's the only one that makes a bit of sense although not enough sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Oh, so your Christianity teaches you to be stupidly tribalistic? You hypocrites show everybody how useless and totally shallow your religious acts are cheesy

Na you call me atheist which I admit is better than answering Christian. I'm not interested in labels but of course I spit on your Mideastern myths e.g Islam and Xtianity. I'm Yoruba first before any redundant label. cheesy

It gives me great pleasure to laugh at your foolishness in opening this thread cheesy
You're a HUMAN first, before any other label. grin

I think any atheist who isn't a Humanist is a fake and hypocritical atheist, because THE PROBLEM OF EVIL, the RACISM/TRIBALISM of the Jews backed and mandated by Yahweh in the Bible, and all other Biblical atrocities are always part of our arguments for rejecting God. So, if you're also gonna play the tribal game [one of the things that divide humanity and makes the world evil], you'll have no case against all the partisan Gods and your atheism can be considered illegitimate. grin
Tozara

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by hopefulLandlord: 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
OP seems to have abandoned his own thread, he should've stayed and get roasted like the suya that he is

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:

Are you Yoruba?

What is he trying to say? sad
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2017
konjinus:
OK I hope u can see their way of thinking as typically shown by the atheist insulting everyone. Well it's not remarkable to be an atheist either since babies are born curious(not atheist as claimed by some atheist in a way to justify their crude attitude towards God). Also many scientists are religious. They act like science has rendered the idea of God stupid. Science hasn't discovered yet God in space neither have they concluded the search and concluded that God doesn't exist.
Sorry to burst your bubble! Science is an ATHEISTIC ENTERPRISE, because anything that can't be proved EMPIRICALLY or made amenable to the SCIENTIFIC METHOD is thrown out of the window, and will forever remain in the domain of assumptions, speculations, and fantasies........ your God resides in the extremest bullshiit end of that domain.

God is, by definition, "immaterial". He'll forever be hidden from science. As far as experimental science is concerned, your God does not exist.
Tozara
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 9:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
Tribalism not accepted in this section, take that foolishness to politics section.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by shukuokukobambi: 9:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
You're a HUMAN first, before any other label. grin

I think any atheist who isn't a Humanist is a fake and hypocritical atheist, because THE PROBLEM OF EVIL, the RACISM/TRIBALISM of the Jews backed and mandated by Yahweh in the Bible, and all other Biblical atrocities are always part of our arguments for rejecting God. So, if you're also gonna play the tribal game [one of the things that divide humanity and makes the world evil], you'll have no case against all the partisan Gods and your atheism can be considered illegitimate. grin

My aim on this thread was to pound that guy and his cohorts and i knew the right notes to hit to achieve maximum effect. it's all deliberate cheesy

I'm irreligious and not so interested in being labelled atheist or otherwise.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by shukuokukobambi: 9:59pm On Nov 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Is there a gathering of atheists where they ask for our National ID cards and keep records of our full real names and tribe?

is he checking out Nairaland monickers and assuming their tribe? perhaps, he sees HopefulLandlord and goes "this monicker sounds *insert tribe*"; sees NPComplete and goes "This guy definitely is *insert tribe*"

is it that he noticed that overwhelming majority of the real life atheists he knows are Yorubas? "Seun is an atheist", "Bolade, that tall guy, is an atheist", "Tolani is an atheist"

does he have an all seeing eye that took the census and arrived at the conclusion?

I hope, for his sake, that the third one is the reason for creating this thread cuz that's the only one that makes a bit of sense although not enough sense

Don't mind the dunce. He'll surely ask for Community Development union card before admitting folks into that his heaven

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daeylar:

LMAO grin grin grin
Lol. grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

grin grin grin

Don't mind him jaare. He's credulous.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daeylar:

What is he trying to say? sad
He was trying to answer the OP's question by saying societies that are more affluent and economically well-off would have a higher number of atheists than poorer ones. He was probably going to tell him that the South West is wealthier and more educated and sophisticated [I've heard this from my kinsmen countless times grin], so the reason why there are more Yoruba atheists [unprovable nonsense that makes the thread stupid].

That's what came to my mind when I read the part I emboldened. He probably refrained from elucidating further in order not to sound ethnocentric.

He might mean something else, though.
Tozara

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

My aim on this thread was to pound that guy and his cohorts and i knew the right notes to hit to achieve maximum effect. it's all deliberate cheesy

I'm irreligious and not so interested in being labelled atheist or otherwise.
Yeah, I was aware of that. I merely stated that point for the sake of it, hence the reason for the emoji.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by shukuokukobambi: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
Yeah, I was aware of that. I merely stated that point for the sake of it, hence the reason for the emoji.

No problem my friend grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 12, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

No problem my friend grin
wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 10:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:

He was trying to answer the OP's question by saying societies that are more affluent and economically well-off would have a higher number of atheists than poorer ones. He was probably going to tell him that the South West is wealthier and more educated and sophisticated [I've heard this from my kinsmen countless times grin], so the reason why there are more Yoruba atheists [unprovable nonsense that makes the thread stupid].

That's what came to my mind when I read the part I emboldened. He probably refrained from elucidating further in order not to sound ethnocentric.

He might mean something else, though.

WHAT!!! shocked angry
he tried it, so shady,, what a backhanded way of being tribalistic angry

Oh, Ethnocentric is the word we are using? We're in a diplomatic mood aren't we? smiley
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by bskyb(m): 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:

Are you Yoruba?

It might be a wrong line of thought. Thanks for reading in between the lines and responding with maturity
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daeylar:

WHAT!!! shocked angry
he tried it, so shady,, what a backhanded way of being tribalistic angry

Oh, Ethnocentric is the word we are using? We're in a diplomatic mood aren't we? smiley
Lol. This is the religion section nah. No need to flog matters like that and change the topic. grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
bskyb:

It might be a wrong line of thought. Thanks for reading in between the lines and responding with maturity
wink
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 11:08pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
Lol. This is the religion section nah. No need to flog matters like that and change the topic. grin

Izz like that abi, undecided be lol'ing there. Izz all right.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daeylar:

Izz like that abi, undecided be lol'ing there. Izz all right.
Won't you smile? grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 11:21pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
Won't you smile? grin
Did I tell you that I wasn't smiling,
You're enjoying yourself angry
Continue,
I'm watching you

AlmiqhteeAllah:
wink

Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daeylar:
Did I tell you that I wasn't smiling, You're enjoying yourself angry Continue, I'm watching you

Now, isn't that what a Goddess does. Watching over me. grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Daeylar(f): 11:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
AlmiqhteeAllah:
Now, isn't that what a Goddess does. Watching over me. grin

Shift jor angry grin
who is watching over you? I'm watching you, angry
you and this your smooth/silver tongue, you think it can save you. angry grin
lol, you eh grin grin in your mind you made me laugh. grin
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 13, 2017
Daeylar:

Shift jor angry grin who is watching over you? I'm watching you, angry you and this your smooth/silver tongue, you think it can save you. angry grin lol, you eh grin grin in your mind you made me laugh. grin

Lol. Good morning. smiley
How was your night?
Re: Why Are Majority Of Atheist In Nigeria Of Yoruba Descent by budaatum: 5:22am On Nov 13, 2017
Funny enough, the reason there is a lot of Yoruba atheists, is the same reason that most of the mega pastors are Yoruba too. (I don't know if Yorubas are most for either though as I have not counted).

I guess Yorubas read a lot.

Atheist tend to have read much wider than the mainstream religious texts in their search for god, and so have most pastors, and once you step out of the religious texts you're bound to find out a lot about gods and how they are created. The outcome is to either get a pulpit, collect tithes and buy a jet, or completely turn against the whole god shenanigans.

You'd be amazed that some vicars in the CoE and the Catholic Church are atheists, though they'll claim to be agnostic at best.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Testimony Of HEAVEN & HELL / Check Out Pastor Chris Okotie’s Exotic Cars Worth Millions Of Naira! / Miss Linda Died And Was Approaching The Gates Of Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.