Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,923 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 (1667 Views)

See Why Church Are Still In Lockdown / Why Church Serves Beer As Holy Communion During Service – Pastor Agu / Why Church Universities Are Expensive - 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
Ifelola Olaleye

Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other academic workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year with hotel reservations taken care of. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international.

They are expensive because Gardners, campus cleaners, carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc must be paid as their services are constantly needed in a University environment.

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc. Covenant University molecular lab cost over 200 million naira to establish.

They are expensive because they need to maintain and repair existing facilities e.g Covenant University staff quarters gulped 380 million naira in one particular year.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics(money provided by the Church)

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professionals including Med Lab Scientist, Pharmacist etc. etc.

With this few reasons I believe I have been able to convince and not confuse you grin why church universities are expensive.

Lalasticlala
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:45pm On Nov 12, 2017
People that don't know anything about running a business will be asking silly questions

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 12, 2017
eph12:
People that don't know anything about running a business will be asking silly questions
Don't mind them jare. It is also the fact that many so called educated Nigerians don't know history at all. Some of them would come and tell you about how missionaries of old sponsored education yet not know that missionaries of old were sponsored by their governments.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
Statsocial:

Don't mind them jare. It is also the fact that many so called educated Nigerians don't know history at all. Some of them would come and tell you about how missionaries of old sponsored education yet not know that missionaries of old were sponsored by their governments.
There's nothing like free education. Somebody is definitely paying for it unless the teaching and non teaching staff are working pro bono

2 Likes

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by savagefinder: 6:55am On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:
these churches have access to almost unlimited funds.. Private jets running into 5..by the way.. Since when should we start businesses with offering money?
A hospital that subsidizes bills for people (Xtians or Muslims) should have been the best thing to do.. But our Pastors want to make profit..
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 7:30am On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:
these churches have access to almost unlimited funds.. Private jets running into 5..by the way.. Since when should we start businesses with offering money?
A hospital that subsidizes bills for people (Xtians or Muslims) should have been the best thing to do.. But our Pastors want to make profit..
RCCG have hospitals all over the country with subsidized bills, do your research
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by savagefinder: 7:37am On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

RCCG have hospitals all over the country with subsidized bills, do your research
pls.. We can see their universities but we've never seen the hospitals, especially here in kogi.. So, pls show me names or links or pictures of their hospitals

And you didn't answer the question as to why we should be using church offerings to start businesses?

And my stand still remains, these churches have unlimited resources from offerings and tithes from all over the country, school fees shouldn't be expensive
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 7:45am On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:
pls.. We can see their universities but we've never seen the hospitals, especially here in kogi.. So, pls show me names or links or pictures of their hospitals
You should see some information with a simple Google search

http://www.healingstripeshospital.com/gallery/

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/rccg-builds-11-bed-hospital-lagos/amp/

There are a lot more do your research
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by hopefulLandlord: 7:47am On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

You should see some information with a simple Google search

http://www.healingstripeshospital.com/gallery/

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/rccg-builds-11-bed-hospital-lagos/amp/

There are a lot more do your research

you seem to be intentionally dodging his main question, here it is again And you didn't answer the question as to why we should be using church offerings to start businesses?

2 Likes

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 7:51am On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:

And you didn't answer the question as to why we should be using church offerings to start businesses?

And my stand still remains, these churches have unlimited resources from offerings and tithes from all over the country, school fees shouldn't be expensive
What should be used? Loans from banks?

And please how do you know it's unlimited? Do you know what it costs to run a university? Do you know what it cost to pay lecturers yearly and sponsor researches? It is very easy to criticize from the outside but when you are involved you realize things are much tougher
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 8:02am On Nov 13, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you seem to be intentionally dodging his main question, here it is again And you didn't answer the question as to why we should be using church offerings to start businesses?
The businesses belong to who? Years back I know that RCCG full time pastors pay much lesser for their kids to attend their secondary schools and the case may be the same even in the university. Members are placed on scholarships but you don't know. Accommodation built in the camp is so cheap with guaranteed electricity and water. I know this because I tried getting one last year but I couldn't because I am not a member. Their maternity homes all over the place offer quality service at cheaper rates, they even attend to non Christians. People are employed in all of those businesses maybe you don't know
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 8:10am On Nov 13, 2017
Statsocial:
Ifelola Olaleye

Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other academic workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year with hotel reservations taken care of. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international.

They are expensive because Gardners, campus cleaners, carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc must be paid as their services are constantly needed in a University environment.

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc. Covenant University molecular lab cost over 200 million naira to establish.

They are expensive because they need to maintain and repair existing facilities e.g Covenant University staff quarters gulped 380 million naira in one particular year.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics(money provided by the Church)

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professionals including Med Lab Scientist, Pharmacist etc. etc.

With this few reasons I believe I have been able to convince and not confuse you grin why church universities are expensive.

Lalasticlala

But Covenant University claim to get their fund from God and not school fees. So, why is the school still not affordable for the poor? If God is giving them fund, why are they not doing the same for the least of their brethren.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/church-owned-vasities-not-for-the-poor-as-members-cry-out/

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

But Covenant University claim to get their fund from God and not school fees. So, why is the school still not affordable for the poor? If God is giving them fund, why are they not doing the same for the least of their brethren.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/church-owned-vasities-not-for-the-poor-as-members-cry-out/
Lol I don't know about this. My argument is simply from a reason and logic standpoint. Indeed God provides the fund in that church money collected from members is also used as a complement to tuition fees.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:
No church in Nigeria has 5 jets. Rccg has 1, Living faith has 2 or at most 3. Church Universities are not businesses in that they don't generate profit for church. All revenue is returned back to strenghten the system and more money added. Living faith gave 1.7 billion this year to Covenant and must have given Landmark a lot too.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:

Many people in Ota uses the hospital in Canaanland. Many in Omuaran, Offa, Eleyin use the hospital at Landmark.
The church would soon build an hospital in Canaancity and another 700 bed teaching hospital. So yes it is a gradual process.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 13, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Many Churches like RCCG don't believe in borrowing money so what would they rather have used?

Lalasticlala
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol I don't know about this. My argument is simply from a reason and logic standpoint. Indeed God provides the fund in that church money collected from members is also used as a complement to tuition fees.

Bro, you and I know that they can make the tuition affordable if only they could be less extravagant. I heard that there were many who "sowed seeds" by laying the foundation of the University (including clearing the bush and carrying blocks free of charge). Is it only the poor that are expected to make sacrifices? What about Oyedepo making sacrifices too just to make sure the school becomes affordable? What about doing away with the luxury of jets and mansions and expensive hotels during evangelism just to "sow" his sacrifices into the university so that thousands can benefit? The amount he rakes in every Sunday from tithes and offerings and donations from wealthy friends is enough to meet the bills of that university. He himself confessed that God works miraculously in his life. I believe God works miraculously in the Church for the edification of everyone and not just one person. One person singlehandly built the Lekki church for Oyedepo. I believe there are wealthier people who attend his church at Otta every Sunday. These people alone can be encouraged to provide thousands of scholarship schemes that would encourage brilliant but poor students to get affordable and quality education. If everyone can be a little less greedy, things will work out fine. The poor will always be with us and we should take care of them, not shut them out. Many of them did not make excuses when they donated their widow's mite or their sweat in helping to clear bushes and carry blocks. Why is the Church making excuses when it claims that the donations come from God?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Bro, you and I know that they can make the tuition affordable if only they could be less extravagant. I heard that there were many who "sowed seeds" by laying the foundation of the University (including clearing the bush and carrying blocks free of charge). Is it only the poor that are expected to make sacrifices? What about Oyedepo making sacrifices too just to make sure the school becomes affordable? What about doing away with the luxury of jets and mansions and expensive hotels during evangelism just to "sow" his sacrifices into the university so that thousands can benefit? The amount he rakes in every Sunday from tithes and offerings and donations from wealthy friends is enough to meet the bills of that university. He himself confessed that God works miraculously in his life. I believe God works miraculously in the Church for the edification of everyone and not just one person. One person singlehandly built the Lekki church for Oyedepo. I believe there are wealthier people who attend his church at Otta every Sunday. These people alone can be encouraged to provide thousands of scholarship schemes that would encourage brilliant but poor students to get affordable and quality education. If everyone can be a little less greedy, things will work out fine. The poor will always be with us and we should take care of them, not shut them out. Many of them did not make excuses when they donated their widow's mite or their sweat in helping to clear bushes and carry blocks. Why is the Church making excuses when it claims that the donations come from God?

Great Oyedepo as a matter of fact has never said Living Faith can't afford paying Covenant's bills as it is but here are two challenges you've not considered before.

1) The rate at which the school is growing is extremely rapid. So can Oyedepo or the Church keep up? With the plans they have for the school the expenditure is multiplying at an alarming rate year in year out

2) If Jesus tarries Covenant University would certainly outlive Oyedepo. Would the Successor of Living Faith want or can prioritise education funding over other things?

3) Benson Idahosa was a man of great vibrancy. But when Idahosa transited to glory. It was Oyedepo who paid the salaries of Benson Idahosa University for years before the school could stand on his own. Then later Oyakhilomhe gave BIU 1 billion naira to build college of engineering - if not for them do you know d challenges Idahosa university would have faced. But even at that Idahosa University is not top 10 private university in Nigeria because the foundation and independence wasn't thoroughly laid before the visioneer died.

4) Oyedepo currently wants Covenant and other universities of his to be thoroughly independent in his life time - especially financially. So Covenant for instance is now making money from the research centre. Landmark now pays a fraction of her wage bill via farm sales.

* The church does run scholarships. In fact at most given times there are about 200 people on scholarships in Landmark and Covenant. However Oyedepo pays the University per head for each students. E.g he would pay 870,000 x 5 yrs for a student studying Mech Engineering and he is also calling more people to join him. So there would be plenty scholarships even more in d future but no blanket free education.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

LOL! What this simply means is that the revenue derived from school fees is not even enough to run the school.

What do you understand from that statement when they say the money comes from God? Like God comes down to drop the money or what?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

LOL! What this simply means is that the revenue derived from school fees is not even enough to run the school.

What do you understand from that statement when they say the money comes from God? Like God comes down to drop the money or what?

If the bulk of the money comes from huge donations from many of Oyedepo's wealthy followers (like that one that singlehandly built a church recently), why justify high tuition. If the school is run majorly on donations, then the school fees should be affordable. Simple!
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 8:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

If the bulk of the money comes from huge donations from many of Oyedepo's wealthy followers (like that one that singlehandly built a church recently), why justify high tuition. If the school is run majorly on donations, then the school fees should be affordable. Simple!
Do you have a figure of what it cost to run the university or you're assuming money gotten from donations should be enough? Do you even have an idea of how much is generated through donation? If you have facts on this figures then you can make your claims but in the absence of none we should exercise caution
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 8:12pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

Do you have a figure of what it cost to run the university or you're assuming money gotten from donations should be enough? Do you even have an idea of how much is generated through donation? If you have facts on this figures then you can make your claims but in the absence of none we should exercise caution

For heaven's sake, an insider admitted that the bulk of the money comes from donations (God) and here you are still arguing. Was I the one that made the statement?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 8:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

For heaven's sake, an insider admitted that the bulk of the money comes from donations (God) and here you are still arguing. Was I the one that made the statement?
You need to understand what the statement means before using it. That bulk of the money comes from donations does not mean money from donations is sufficient or revenue from school fees is irrelevant.

Let's say 5 billion is needed to run the school and the bulk of it 3 billion is gotten from donations while the remaining 2 billion is from the fees. Does this make revenue from school fees unnecessary or irrelevant?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 8:47pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

You need to understand what the statement means before using it. That bulk of the money comes from donations does not mean money from donations is sufficient or revenue from school fees is irrelevant.

Let's say 5 billion is needed to run the school and the bulk of it 3 billion is gotten from donations while the remaining 2 billion is from the fees. Does this make revenue from school fees unnecessary or irrelevant?

Bulk is relative. The bulk of 5 billion can be anything from 3 billion to 4.9 billion. When he said they don't depend on school fees, that should tell you how large the donations are.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 8:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Bulk is relative. The bulk of 5 billion can be anything from 3 billion to 4.9 billion. When he said they don't depend on school fees, that should tell you how large the donations are.
That person said developmental projects. Please read the person's comment with an open and not biased mind
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 8:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

That person said developmental projects. Please read the person's comment with an open and not biased mind

Of course, I read it. But that is always the argument and OP mentioned projects too. If you were a little bit more open-minded, you would see my reply to the OP where I gave out factors that could be employed to make tuition affordable.

Greed is the reason why the tuition is high.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Of course, I read it. But that is always the argument and OP mentioned projects too. If you were a little bit more open-minded, you would see my reply to the OP where I gave out factors that could be employed to make tuition affordable.

Greed is the reason why the tuition is high.
Says you. Until you come up with facts and figures and not hate before you should be taken seriously
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

Says you. Until you come up with facts and figures and not hate before you should be taken seriously

Let me ask you a question? Why did the Church establish a university?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by mujahid777(m): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
Of course,running a university is expensive-everybody knows that.Until you provide us with their financial account(which is most likely to be embedded with falsehoods) outlining the University's expenditures: it all remains a scam.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Let me ask you a question? Why did the Church establish a university?
I will have to ask Living Faith church. I'm assuming you're referring to the universities built by winners right?

Why do you think they established a university?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 9:17pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

I will have to ask Living Faith church. I'm assuming you're referring to the universities built by winners right?

Why do you think they established a university?

I just want to know cheesy
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:22pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

I just want to know cheesy
No you don't want to know, you just need things to hate on

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Can't Christians Worship One True God Solemnly Like The Moslems Do? / The Mother Of All Fears - Joseph Prince / The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.