Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 (1704 Views)

See Why Church Are Still In Lockdown / Why Church Serves Beer As Holy Communion During Service – Pastor Agu / Why Church Universities Are Expensive - 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 9:29pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

No you don't want to know, you just need things to hate on

Hate on cheesy

Why should I hate on the devil or the false teachers? When the Church that should distance itself from the love of money begins to dabble into businesses, how do you think it would cope without scandals and uproars? There was one distinct reason why Paul would not want payment. So that it would not stand between him and the gospel.

I would sincerely like to know why the Church, whose sole responsibility is to spread the Good News, suddenly dabbles into businesses. Supposing the tuition is even affordable, we would conclude that it is to win over as much people to the faith. But the tuition seems to target only the wealthy and middle class.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Hate on cheesy

Why should I hate on the devil or the false teachers? When the Church that should distance itself from the love of money begins to dabble into businesses, how do you think it would cope without scandals and uproars? There was one distinct reason why Paul would not want payment. So that it would not stand between him and the gospel.

I would sincerely like to know why the Church, whose sole responsibility is to spread the Good News, suddenly dabbles into businesses. Supposing the tuition is even affordable, we would conclude that it is to win over as much people to the faith. But the tuition seems to target only the wealthy and middle class.
And the wealthy and middle class are not worthy to be won over to the faith right?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 10:34pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

And the wealthy and middle class are not worthy to be won over to the faith right?

Read my post again. I said "as much people"

We have more poor people.

In all, the Church should either establish an affordable institution or stay away from dragging business with the people of the world. Money can be a great divider and it is evident in the Church-- a gap between the Rich and the Poor. The same gap that the Apostles strived to close is the same that your pastors are widening everyday. The sole responsibility of the Church on earth is to spread the Good News, not to build mighty churches buildings and universities that cannot cater to the needs of the poor.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 11:05pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Read my post again. I said "as much people"

We have more poor people.

In all, the Church should either establish an affordable institution or stay away from dragging business with the people of the world. Money can be a great divider and it is evident in the Church-- a gap between the Rich and the Poor. The same gap that the Apostles strived to close is the same that your pastors are widening everyday. The sole responsibility of the Church on earth is to spread the Good News, not to build mighty churches buildings and universities that cannot cater to the needs of the poor.
Affordable is relative. If we check very well we may even see that they have more applicants than they can admit. In the quest for excellence big money must be spent this is fact. Our federal universities lack infrastructures and maintenance to be seen as world class, covenant wants to be a difference. Huge money is needed for that. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to process.

Is the church spreading the good news yes or no? Do you know you can spread the good news too? How many people have you led to Christ? How many poor have you catered for?

Who do you refer to as the people of the world? The federal government? Because they are the ones competing with Covenant
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by Desyner: 11:19pm On Nov 13, 2017
savagefinder:
these churches have access to almost unlimited funds.. Private jets running into 5..by the way.. Since when should we start businesses with offering money?
A hospital that subsidizes bills for people (Xtians or Muslims) should have been the best thing to do.. But our Pastors want to make profit..
Church Uni aren't built with offering and are not suppose to for the few one who may be doing it.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
eph12:

Affordable is relative. If we check very well we may even see that they have more applicants than they can admit. In the quest for excellence big money must be spent this is fact. Our federal universities lack infrastructures and maintenance to be seen as world class, covenant wants to be a difference. Huge money is needed for that. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to process.

Is the church spreading the good news yes or no? Do you know you can spread the good news too? How many people have you led to Christ? How many poor have you catered for?

Who do you refer to as the people of the world? The federal government? Because they are the ones competing with Covenant

The sole responsibility of a Church is to spread the Good News and take care of the needy among them. God instituted tithes as a food program for the Levites, the widows, the orphans, etc. Paul also asked people not to forget those who ministered among them. He was also in the habit of soliciting donations on behalf of God's people who needed help. I cannot understand why something that straightforward is hard for you to process

Well, I am not surprised. The false teacher is only interested in advancing his own kingdom and not the Kingdom of God. The joy of a true teacher of the word is to fulfil his ministry (equip the saints and prepare them for the Antichrist and the Great Commission). The joy of a false teacher like Oyedepo is to build a business empire while many of his Christian followers do not even know anything substantial about the Word.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 7:42am On Nov 14, 2017
eph12:

Bluntboy
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2017
eph12:

Bluntboy

The Church has failed because it is focused on irrelevant corporate matters, central to all these is the excess love for money. The Church has failed. It is only concerned about crowd. A church of just 5 people who are strongly equipped in the Word is far better than a church of a million people where most are just pastor's zombies.

Just as followers started getting out of the legalistic churches, legalism was replaced with a focus on church growth. With this, secularism crept into the sanctuaries. What started as an ideological focus of growth has turned the church into a cash cow . What blinders are we wearing? Where did we miss it? George Barna, the founder of the Barna Research Group, unearthed that success is one of the reasons for the mess the church is in. There are 5 categories that summed it up when pastors where asked: “How do they know that their church is successful?” The answer was “Attendance, giving, number of programs, number of staff, and square footage.” If the goals are not met, just like in the corporate world, it begins to fail. Let’s rewind here a minute. If we don’t make these quotas the church is a failure? Do we need to go to the Book? Yes, the Book we preach from and read from called the Bible. There is the 5-fold ministry that is to prepare God’s people for works of service so the Body of Christ may be built up until we have unity with Christ. In Ephesians 4:11 the 5-fold-ministry called for some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists and some to be pastors and teachers. This certainly wasn’t listed in the answers pastors provided Barna, nor does it say for the church to be wealthy. Jesus did not even have a home and ran a ministry. Paul was a poor minister as well. He was not a failure. If they were here today the definition would be different. (Gatti, n.d.)
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:17am On Nov 14, 2017
BluntBoy:

The Church has failed because it is focused on irrelevant corporate matters, central to all these is the excess love for money. The Church has failed. It is only concerned about crowd. A church of just 5 people who are strongly equipped in the Word is far better than a church of a million people where most are just pastor's zombies.

Just as followers started getting out of the legalistic churches, legalism was replaced with a focus on church growth. With this, secularism crept into the sanctuaries. What started as an ideological focus of growth has turned the church into a cash cow . What blinders are we wearing? Where did we miss it? George Barna, the founder of the Barna Research Group, unearthed that success is one of the reasons for the mess the church is in. There are 5 categories that summed it up when pastors where asked: “How do they know that their church is successful?” The answer was “Attendance, giving, number of programs, number of staff, and square footage.” If the goals are not met, just like in the corporate world, it begins to fail. Let’s rewind here a minute. If we don’t make these quotas the church is a failure? Do we need to go to the Book? Yes, the Book we preach from and read from called the Bible. There is the 5-fold ministry that is to prepare God’s people for works of service so the Body of Christ may be built up until we have unity with Christ. In Ephesians 4:11 the 5-fold-ministry called for some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists and some to be pastors and teachers. This certainly wasn’t listed in the answers pastors provided Barna, nor does it say for the church to be wealthy. Jesus did not even have a home and ran a ministry. Paul was a poor minister as well. He was not a failure. If they were here today the definition would be different. (Gatti, n.d.)
cheesy cheesy

How many people have you led to Christ?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 9:22am On Nov 14, 2017
eph12:

cheesy cheesy

How many people have you led to Christ?

Check my diary. I am yet to complete it though.

But why is it that when we should make a debate open-minded, you all are always desperate to muddy it up by becoming sentimental?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:46am On Nov 14, 2017
BluntBoy:

But why is it that when we should make a debate open-minded, you all are always desperate to muddy it up by becoming sentimental?
Your debate is without facts. I always try my possible best to avoid gossips
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by eph12(m): 9:55am On Nov 14, 2017
BluntBoy:

Your diary proves nothing. In fact your other posts on NL aside your diary has nothing to do with sharing the gospel or encouraging people in Christ. If I'm to assume like you have been doing I'll say you're an hypocrite but I won't assume.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by BluntBoy(m): 10:02am On Nov 14, 2017
eph12:

Your diary proves nothing. In fact your other posts on NL aside your diary has nothing to do with sharing the gospel or encouraging people in Christ. If I'm to assume like you have been doing I'll say you're an hypocrite but I won't assume.

You are free to assume cheesy It proves nothing. Abi no be so?

Now, get behind me, you incorrigible devil. I have work to do.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by TheVictorious(m): 9:37pm On Nov 14, 2017
Statsocial:
Ifelola Olaleye

Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other academic workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year with hotel reservations taken care of. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international.

They are expensive because Gardners, campus cleaners, carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc must be paid as their services are constantly needed in a University environment.

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc. Covenant University molecular lab cost over 200 million naira to establish.

They are expensive because they need to maintain and repair existing facilities e.g Covenant University staff quarters gulped 380 million naira in one particular year.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics(money provided by the Church)

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professionals including Med Lab Scientist, Pharmacist etc. etc.

With this few reasons I believe I have been able to convince and not confuse you grin why church universities are expensive.

Lalasticlala

I simply believe that CU ranking will justify the educational value for money in time to come. It won't be very long
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive Part 2 by blvckbillionair: 11:10am On Nov 15, 2017
hakeem4
Statsocial:
Ifelola Olaleye

Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other academic workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year with hotel reservations taken care of. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international.

They are expensive because Gardners, campus cleaners, carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc must be paid as their services are constantly needed in a University environment.

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc. Covenant University molecular lab cost over 200 million naira to establish.

They are expensive because they need to maintain and repair existing facilities e.g Covenant University staff quarters gulped 380 million naira in one particular year.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics(money provided by the Church)

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professionals including Med Lab Scientist, Pharmacist etc. etc.

With this few reasons I believe I have been able to convince and not confuse you grin why church universities are expensive.

Lalasticlala

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo Reveals The Day Nigeria Will Divide / It's A Pity, We Are All Going To Hell In Another Man's Religion / If TB Joshua Knew He Was Gonna Die, Why Didn't He Name A Successor? (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.