Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,254 members, 7,953,954 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:40 AM

Google Is God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Google Is God (1156 Views)

Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Where In The Bible Did Jesus Mentioned He Is God / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Is God by trinigirl1(f): 7:09pm On Feb 22, 2007
Yes folks! I too thought it was a joke, but apparantly these guys are serious. Being a techie myself, I found it funny, but it's sad at the same time.

"We at the Church of Google believe a convincing argument can be made stating that the search engine Google is the closest mankind has ever come to directly experiencing an actual God (as typically defined). Supernatural gods are rejected on the notion they are inherently unprovable. Thus, Googlists believe Google should rightfully be given the title of "God", as She exhibits a great many of the characteristics traditionally associated with such Deities."

The Church of Google says that Google is God and states the following proofs:-

PROOF #1

Google is the closest to an Omniscient (all-knowing) entity in existence. She indexes over 9.5 billion Web Pages, which is more than any other search engine on the web today. Not only is Google the closest to all-knowing, but She also sorts through this vast amount of data using Her patented PageRank method, making said data accessible for us mere mortals.

PROOF #2

Google is everywhere at once (Omnipresent). Google's search engine is virtually everywhere on earth at the same time. Billions of indexed WebPages hosted from every corner of the earth. With the proliferation of Wi-Fi networks, you will eventually be able to access Google from anywhere on earth, truly making Her an omnipresent entity.

PROOF #3

Google answers prayers. One can pray to Google by doing a search for whatever question or problem is plaguing them. As an example, you can quickly find information on alternative cancer treatments, ways to improve your health, new and innovative medical discoveries and generally anything that resembles a typical prayer. Ask Google and She will show you the way, but showing you is all She can do, for you must help yourself from that point on.

PROOF #4

Google is potentially immortal. She cannot be considered a physical being such as ourselves. Her Algorithms are spread out across many servers; if any of which were taken down or damaged, another would undoubtedly take its place. Google can theoretically last forever.

PROOF #5

Google is infinite. The Internet can theoretically grow forever, and Google will forever index its infinite growth.

PROOF #6

Google remembers all. Google caches WebPages regularly and stores them on its massive servers. In fact, by uploading your thoughts and opinions to the internet, you will forever live on in Google's cache, even after you die.

PROOF #7

Google can "do no evil" (Omnibenevolent). Part of Google's corporate philosophy is the belief that a company can make money without being evil.

PROOF #8

Evidence of Google's existence is abundant. There is more evidence for the existence of Google than any other God worshiped today. Extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary proof. If seeing is believing, then surf over to www.google.com and experience for yourself Google's awesome power.

source:  http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/Scripture/Proof_Google_Is_God.html

They also tell you how to become ordained in the Church of Google

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/
Re: Google Is God by hotangel2(f): 7:14pm On Feb 22, 2007
Interesting. I mean really Interesting. It would pass as a very funny joke, but if they are serious, i think they are insane.

Google is not God. It could however be god.

I prefer Yahoo search engine anyways.

1 Like

Re: Google Is God by syrup(f): 9:57pm On Feb 22, 2007
@trini_girl,

Lol, they took all the trouble to propose that joke, and it sure makes one laugh. If we are to subject the 'Google religion' to some test of sorts, then the Google-god is as insufficient as the creators of Google. Let's see:

PROOF #1

Google is the closest to an Omniscient (all-knowing) entity in existence. She indexes over 9.5 billion Web Pages, which is more than any other search engine on the web today. Not only is Google the closest to all-knowing, but She also sorts through this vast amount of data using Her patented PageRank method, making said data accessible for us mere mortals.

Debunked. The fact is that Google is not Omniscient (all-knowing). With such a vast index of webpages, perhaps only webbloggers will be attracted as her worshippers. Besides, the human brain is debatably more indexed and complex than Google's boasted hold. Infact, someone has said he could beat Google's speed to a calculation test by spending less time solving (0.897567)4 x (2.5)3! How?? Just pull the PC plug and do the maths while Google waits forever! cheesy

PROOF #2

Google is everywhere at once (Omnipresent). Google's search engine is virtually everywhere on earth at the same time. Billions of indexed WebPages hosted from every corner of the earth. With the proliferation of Wi-Fi networks, you will eventually be able to access Google from anywhere on earth, truly making Her an omnipresent entity.

Debunked. Google has restricted access in a few places, such as in China (where the mainland government has blocked Google's Website on several occasions; and google.tk [or "Google Tokelau"] is completely inaccessible from within China). Besides, it has not been verified that Google can be accessed from outside the earth's atmosphere, before its claim to being "Omnipresent."

PROOF #3

Google answers prayers. One can pray to Google by doing a search for whatever question or problem is plaguing them. As an example, you can quickly find information on alternative cancer treatments, ways to improve your health, new and innovative medical discoveries and generally anything that resembles a typical prayer. Ask Google and She will show you the way, but showing you is all She can do, for you must help yourself from that point on.

Debunked. There are loads of materials that present authentically sourced answers in the listed concerns of alternative cancer treatments, health, new and innovative medical discoveries. . . but not "anything that resembles a typical prayer". Besides the risks of inadvertently downloading virus from some recommended links from Google, the "answers" on any topic at all that the search engine returns is typically a cacophony of dilated views.

PROOF #4

Google is potentially immortal. She cannot be considered a physical being such as ourselves. Her Algorithms are spread out across many servers; if any of which were taken down or damaged, another would undoubtedly take its place. Google can theoretically last forever.

Debunked. Google only remains running as long its servers are regularly maintained. Improved servers are all over the market; and it is these servers that should be considered "potentially immortal" as long as they keep Google running. So, without these servers, Google would not be 'alive' as it does not run on its own.

PROOF #5

Google is infinite. The Internet can theoretically grow forever, and Google will forever index its infinite growth.

Debunked. There will always be a measurable index for search engines; and where it is infinite/immeasurable/unreadable, then it will return an "error" page.

PROOF #6

Google remembers all. Google caches WebPages regularly and stores them on its massive servers. In fact, by uploading your thoughts and opinions to the internet, you will forever live on in Google's cache, even after you die.

Debubked. Google doesn't remember anything apart from what is stored on its servers. As long as these servers are efficiently updated and maintained, the stored info will be accessible. Should a very smart hacker succeed in throwing a 'spanner' (virus such as "sas"wink into Google's servers, it will potentially lose some of its vast store of info - some of them very critical.

PROOF #7

Google can "do no evil" (Omnibenevolent). Part of Google's corporate philosophy is the belief that a company can make money without being evil.

Debunked. While Google can do some info-good, it has also been used to source "evil". Doubt me?? Simple: just google the word "evil" and see for yourself! The last count was 192,000,000 results it offered - and still counting! grin

PROOF #8

Evidence of Google's existence is abundant. There is more evidence for the existence of Google than any other God worshiped today. Extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary proof. If seeing is believing, then surf over to www.google.com and experience for yourself Google's awesome power.

Debunked. Everybody is asking for "evidence" of sorts; and those who do not believe in the existence of any "god" (including the 'Google-god') have their own type of "evidence". At best, many other search engines offer as much a 'surfing proof' as does Google: would they also pass for the Google-religion??

1 Like

Re: Google Is God by cuteass1(f): 10:50pm On Feb 22, 2007
@ syrup
i'm right behind you on that, that's some fantastic aguements you got there

If i knew the composer of the silly joke, i'ld have personally sent them to jail for double life imprisonment. How dare they compare the powers of our one and only to a man-found "search" page. Now just like hot-angel said if they use the word god that's alot different than God, they should better start giving honour to whom honour is due.
The earlier they knew that ignorance is a disease, the better for themooo

*prays* please our heavenly father forgive them for they know not what they're doing
Re: Google Is God by trinigirl1(f): 10:57pm On Feb 22, 2007
cute-ass:

@ syrup
i'm right behind you on that, that's some fantastic aguements you got there

If i knew the composer of the silly joke, i'ld have personally sent them to jail for double life imprisonment. How dare they compare the powers of our one and only to a man-found "search" page. Now just like hot-angel said if they use the word god that's alot different than God, they should better start giving honour to whom honour is due.
The earlier they knew that ignorance is a disease, the better for themooo

*prays* please our heavenly father forgive them for they know not what they're doing

it's not a joke, it's a new religion. they have Google Ministers and Google Worshipers. It's just that no one is taking them seriously. Wikipedia refuses to add them because they consider it "patent nonsense"
Re: Google Is God by cuteass1(f): 11:58pm On Feb 22, 2007
That's the right word to classify them "patent nonsense". Yeye people (means, good-for-nothing-people) *sighs*
Re: Google Is God by Pain(m): 6:16am On Feb 24, 2007
Wait Until Their is a Parallel Crash Of Their Servers from a Parallel DOS Attack Then We'd Know Who IS God!!!

My God is Not Prone to Crashes. HIS Servers are Beyond the Reach of Man. LoL grin
Re: Google Is God by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2007
Men trini-gal u fi di high? u na take weed b4 na comin ya? seriously coz man na nid weeder's joint ina nairaland. hope na d gud style.
But to ur talk ha, d mattter nor make sense coz dem fi di rude and joke wanka!
me na pass the torch lite and get out!

(1) (Reply)

When And Where Was The Bible Written?; And By Whom? / I Don't Understand These Atheists! / Does God Lie? Would You Worship a Liar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.