Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,432 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Can Pastors Do Business? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Pastors Do Business? (7003 Views)

Poll: Should They?

Yes: 78% (25 votes)
No: 21% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Reasons Why Pastors Do Not Need Private Jets / Five things Nigerian Pastors do / 5 Funny Things Pastors Do On The Pulpit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Pastors Do Business? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
Paul was a tentmaker,Peter was a fisherman and Jesus was a carpenter.so why the beef if adeboye n co do biz with church?
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by seyenko(m): 3:39pm On Mar 23, 2010
of course he should do business, how does he want to survive except he is running one man business called a church
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On Mar 23, 2010
Whilst there is no teaching against pastors doing business orearning alternativeincome, they should be careful not to merchandize the gospel or make material profit out of the gospel [2 peter 2:1-3] However it is now very rampant and common practise for pastors to merchandize the gospel and make profit out of it. Examples are daily devotionals, annointing oil, stickers, posters e.t.c. Whilst there is nothing wrong on the surface of selling these items, the profit motive behind it makes it unethical and antiethical to the purpose of spreading the gospel. Jesus clearly instructed that the gospel should be preached free.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Mudley313: 6:12am On Mar 24, 2010
babaearly:

Paul was a tentmaker,Peter was a fisherman and Jesus was a carpenter.so why the beef if adeboye n co do biz with church?

dem tell u say na church money (tithe n offering from poorer people) dem take finance their business
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Nobody: 7:05am On Mar 24, 2010
but Paul took collections from Christians to aid his missionary journeys?but Jesus had a treasurer how did he get money?
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Mudley313: 8:00am On Mar 24, 2010
but Paul took collections from Christians to aid his missionary journeys?but Jesus had a treasurer how did he get money?

did u read d thread title at all?
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by ogajim(m): 12:24pm On Mar 24, 2010
babaearly (tempted to call you another name but I won't cheesy)

You deserve to be slapped a thousand times for bringing Jesus into this mess called Nigerian Churches, how many times after feeding thousands did Jesus ask folks to buy his works? Paul took collections that he mostly gave to the needy during his Missions, his own upkeep was from his tent making side gig.

One would think the Educational system in Nigeria despite the constant strikes is good enough to give babaearly some rational thinking.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by KunleOshob(m): 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2010
babaearly:

There is no record of Jesus ever collecting offerings, the fact that they had a treasurer should not be twisted to mean he was collecting offerings after all social clubs today have treasurers and they don't collect offerings from people but raise levy themselves to raise funds. On the issue of collections Paul collected, i believe ogajim has already answered you adequately.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by tlfacts: 1:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
Yes Churches can own businesses but a Church is not a business.
Instead of letting collection money stay in the bank, Churches should utilize the money to create employment oppurtunities for people.

Thank You O Holy Spirit for all You have done for me, Thank You for the inspiration.
Spirit of the Living God fall afresh on me, Amen.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2010
if pastors run biznez then they are creatin job opportunities for people.then Kunle why the beef?what is money used for?
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by KunleOshob(m): 7:10am On Mar 25, 2010
@babaearly
I never said pastors should not run businesses all I said is that it is wrong to commercialize the gospel as it is now rampantly done this days.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
Most pastors are already doing business.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by kcreal(f): 1:31pm On Mar 25, 2010
Quote: from tlfacts.
Thank You O Holy Spirit for all You have done for me, Thank You for the inspiration.
Spirit of the Living God fall afresh on me, Amen.

Aahh! are you in spirit?
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by akwaowoudo(m): 1:35pm On Mar 25, 2010
All pastors are buisness people. They don't just sleep for money to come. Not even one.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by whiteroses(f): 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2010
jesus was a carpenter i hope he was trying to tell a parable like see, even as influential and important as i am i'm a carpenter. does that means if jesus was here today he'd know rihanna and wear jeans too??
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by victorazy(m): 2:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
KunleOshob:

There is no record of Jesus ever collecting offerings, the fact that they had a treasurer should not be twisted to mean he was collecting offerings after all social clubs today have treasurers and they don't collect offerings from people but raise levy themselves to raise funds. On the issue of collections Paul collected, i believe ogajim has already answered you adequately.

your just deceiving urself bros. God is not intersted in your money, the money u gave is for your good, tithes are for your own benefit not for God. Pastors are already in business "dey are working in a vine yard of God"
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by wyt(m): 2:18pm On Mar 25, 2010
the old testament said they should not do biz but live with tithe,
and new testament entails that they should do biz/work but do not ask for tithe
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by zoragirl: 2:28pm On Mar 25, 2010
it is ok for pastors to do business and work but not with church funds.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by victorazy(m): 2:30pm On Mar 25, 2010
wyt:

the old testament said they should not do biz but live with tithe,
and new testament entails that they should do biz/work but do not ask for tithe

Plzz can u help us with the verse in the bible for more demystification

All i know is that, if you dont pay tithe, u woun't get rich in the way that God will appreciate.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by sulad82i(m): 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2010
Isnt been a pastor a biz? undecided
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 25, 2010
Majority of them here are doing business with their church, they boast of their expensive suites, shoes, and cars claiming man of God must be rich. They live at the expense of their church members. We do not know their worth before establishing church but we know that they are millionaires after. Jesus was a carpenter, Paul was a tent maker, philiph was a physician e.t.c. and as first century xtians they did not collect tithe from people but rather they worked to earn a living. But here today, pastors live on their devotees.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Thor(m): 3:40pm On Mar 25, 2010
That is what being a pastor is all about. It is a business, they take your money in the name of an invisible, pretend man called God  grin grin
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by ogajim(m): 3:52pm On Mar 25, 2010
victorazy:

Plzz can u help us with the verse in the bible for more demystification

All i know is that, if you dont pay tithe, u woun't get rich in the way that God will appreciate.

^^ I am tempted to take a Hockey stick plus the Zamboni to your head but why bother? The blows are not needed since you already appear deluded, probably a "pastor" fleecing the flock in the land of the Maple Leaf undecided undecided undecided undecided

Anyone LAZY enough to make money off gullible members makes me sick!
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by PurestBoy(m): 5:06pm On Mar 25, 2010
i don't know why any thread concerning pastors or christianity always grace the front page.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by slyk2(m): 5:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
they can do biz
but be very careful when you are partnering with them.

many will swindle you especially these new breed pastors without address
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by crown22: 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2010
SOME PASTORS AND HOLY MEN ARE ALREADY HOLY BUSINESSMEN AND BIZWOMEN
ONLY NEED TO REGISTER IT FORMALLY
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by toyecoach(m): 6:53pm On Mar 25, 2010
Are you trying to castigate the pastors?it seems the church has to be separated from the pastors purse.
The church should take care of the Full time pastors because Jesus was taken care by the ministry!

Sincerely pastors should also be seen to be contributing to the church finance.
Some pastors sell books,cds,software and even do affiliate marketing online.
One good place i found online with opportunities for pastors to do business online is http://www.sellbooksfastonline.com,some
even get donations for their ministry at the site.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by princekevo(m): 8:01pm On Mar 25, 2010
Is it not funny that the initiator of this thread is confused more than the posters.
If you needed to make a comment you should have come up directly with your comment and not asking a quenstion and confusing yourself with you later comments.

babaearly:

Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by Comingo: 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2010
@topic Preaching the word of God is business as usual.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by eros(m): 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
Pastors should do business just like every other person. Case closed.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by CGKing(m): 12:36am On Mar 26, 2010
Nah!!!!!!! Im nat doing this.
Re: Can Pastors Do Business? by bizking24(m): 6:59am On Mar 26, 2010
Well, as long as the business does not interfare with or hinder the preaching of the Gospel.
But if it enables the Gospel, then there is nothing wrong with "TentMaking" like Paul did.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christians And Muslims, Did Jesus Pray Like Muslims Do? / Why Do You Go To Church? / Knowing The Correct Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.