Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? (20313 Views)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / How To Add Numbers To Airtel Family And Friends 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by alakuko: 7:26am On Nov 17, 2017
The evil is perpetuated by international interconnect carriers and not telcos. This is called refilling or black traffic and it is done to evade paying interconnect fee so they pass the traffic as local. NCC knows about some of this issue
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by olmoRoc: 7:27am On Nov 17, 2017
They're probably routing the calls through VoIP solutions, so they don't have to pay the correct tariff to the Telco at the other end. It's not a Naija thing. Calls from the states to my abode also display local numbers. Solution, get a house phone if that's still available there. That's what I did.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by buskie13(m): 7:30am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
u no sabi anything self,the guy dey use TextNow or whatscall for you,na so e dey display
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by doe: 7:31am On Nov 17, 2017
NCC

Nigeria is the terminating country. And it’s Nigeria that routes the call to the receivers phone for a fee. The Nigeria telco are using the cheaper option to reroute the call. Hence random naija telephone numbers.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:32am On Nov 17, 2017
That's exactly what my brother told me.
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2017
kolomax:
just shut the hell up if you don't know the reason behind it Instead of saying crap

the funniest thing about it is that you can't call back the number.
I've experienced it several times. Sometimes it could be the person's number but you can't call back and sometimes it could be just ffour digits.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Jimmy231: 7:38am On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....
waiting this one they talk for too long
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by MONITZ: 7:40am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:
Your friend is probably a G boy.

Re u serious Mr.Man?Pls comment on things u re absolutely sure of,that the phone number of a person who is outside Nigeria changes whenever he calls Nigeria doesn't automatically translate to being a G boy,kk. I know this because I know two people who re outside Nigeria's shores whose phone numbers change to Nigerian numbers whenever they call,one of thrm is a very elderly person while the second is much younger. I think tg reason has to do with NCC policy..
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by krixik(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2017
Every incoming international call is being monitored by the government secret services.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 17, 2017
I experienced same too. A friend called me from the M.E and it was an Airtel number that appeared on the screen. I was so disoriented that I kept asking him where he was?

At a point, I asked him if he is not doing shady things that necessitated him to use local numbers. He laughed and also tried to verify if I am the one speaking. Honestly , it's so awkward. You can't get through if you call the number back.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by marvolio2000(m): 7:42am On Nov 17, 2017
You can get in in your anus

Lincoln275:
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ?
Esanu Mi...
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:42am On Nov 17, 2017
dopechoks:
.I think this is true, I've had people call me from UK, Australia, USA and even Canada with Nigerian numbers...I have been wondering what the reason is...I don't think that even the callers know about this
They don't know.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by RapportNaija(m): 7:43am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all

Why do we pay more when we call other networks?

Glo to Glo is not the same rates with Glo to MTN.

Have you cared to ask?

Everything you can't understand will be senseless to you. Maybe you've no sense.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by theapeman: 7:44am On Nov 17, 2017
notice it too! when ever my bae call, i kind of see 080.......
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Strongbest(m): 7:47am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:
Your friend is probably a G boy.

This happens a lot. I almost doubted a brother for calling with a Naija no. yet claiming to be in the US.

Even from S.A, most times the number appears as Naija number. It's not funny at all.

The only way to always know at times is from the clarity of the voice. When recieving a call from such distance, it is usually not as clear and close as calls received within the Nation.

Sometimes like the voice echoes. Looks like it takes longer time for the voice to get to you, something like that. Don't really know how to explain though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 17, 2017
kolomax:
just shut the hell up if you don't know the reason behind it Instead of saying crap

the funniest thing about it is that you can't call back the number.

Noticed this too! And if the person calls you 10 times a day, it would show 10 different local phone numbers.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by classicfrank4u(m): 7:53am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
probably because u don't have Sense
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by tempest01(m): 7:54am On Nov 17, 2017
torres89:
it's a very technical issue, only experts can explain to experts.
but it's nothing extra ordinary or intentional.
sometimes to offer ultra high frequency, too many changes and variances take place. your phone might be too slow to process such quick changes.
it's better to have this kind of issue than to have break in network when talking.

I suggest u check your phones network capabilities. it might just be running too slow,

I doubt if this will be an issue with iPhone users.

I tried to sound as lame as possible

You did not try.....your post is lame

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by ruffDiamond: 7:55am On Nov 17, 2017
useless country wayo government

mumu followers..

the sufferheadz and the isMilerz..

too scared too fight cos they wanna live long..

so some turn Onlookers, become
Siddon lookers..

they don't mind after all in dem sick mind..half a bread's still better

while government official making
off wiv billions..yeah in naira..
sometime in dollarz

translating power to dem kids,wife y,yeah u gat it

beneficiary of da same old looterz
while my rush whinny on nairand and Twitter...

ain't that a shame,I'm a ghetto boy
that mean a Gboy...

critical time hard to deal wiv are
here yeah right u gat it.

someone's gonna pay ...
don't be a fool,don't bother to pray..last time I checked..

I'm still agnostic, still bustling, trying to get some nice ices...

wondering where's God in all this crises...

years rolling by my people still getting da cart front of da horses...

just my early morning musing rising with the sun ,dazzling

like a lone star in a cloudy night sky...

I'm a child of destiny ..y'all
just so u know ..u can't stop
my shiny..

good morning.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by nonut: 8:00am On Nov 17, 2017
LMay:

Same here. I spend first 3 minutes trying to explain that I am not in Nigeria and I don't know why it's showing glo number every time they ask.

Now I've stopped calling family friends and extended family members. I call my mum and a few close friends only who instinctively recognize my voice on call and don't even bother to ask questions over and over again, slightly casting aspersion on my assertion that indeed I am not in Nigeria. The worst that happens with close ones is that they also feel surprised that it's changing my number.
Are you a doctor?

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Madu100t(m): 8:01am On Nov 17, 2017
[It due to call rate and cgarges. The inbound call rate is high and to cut d cost, the operators cum ncc has to decipher this, before d call reaches down, it converts to local operators number, mostly glo network to enable a reduced charges. quote author=ikorodureporta post=62451963]Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines.... [/quote]
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by IkpuMmadu: 8:08am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....

Your correct....it happened to me
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by tivta(m): 8:10am On Nov 17, 2017
torres89:
it's a very technical issue, only experts can explain to experts.
but it's nothing extra ordinary or intentional.
sometimes to offer ultra high frequency, too many changes and variances take place. your phone might be too slow to process such quick changes.
it's better to have this kind of issue than to have break in network when talking.

I suggest u check your phones network capabilities. it might just be running too slow,

I doubt if this will be an issue with iPhone users.

I tried to sound as lame as possible

You are truly lame. Who told you it is not possible on iphone? It is a network issue.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bettercreature(m): 8:12am On Nov 17, 2017
The person used Skype or VoIP
The same happened when auctionexport called me
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by cityofindustry: 8:13am On Nov 17, 2017
Educate yourself , you will figure out the guy understands what's going on

afoltundeseun:
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by fidelity09: 8:14am On Nov 17, 2017
Calling from abroad home using the local line is way too expensive, for example am based in America and using networks like metro PC's, to call naija is expensive so what we resolved to is using applications like boss revolution to call home, with that it's way cheaper and they roam the call automatically to a local line that's why even if thesame person calls 10 times, the number keeps on changing..this is the best possible way I can explain
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Ejire007(m): 8:14am On Nov 17, 2017
Reason is most means of communicating from abroad via tel. is voice over IP does not matter weather it is a call card or other lines like lyca and so on all of them are voice over IP, no one from overseas will call Nigeria directly from either fixed line or mobile line. Now coming to the voice over IP the caller dials the Nigerian number which goes the server of the IP provider which sends it to Nigerian Server where it will be converted to local number and then connect to the end reciever.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by ihedioramma: 8:15am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:

The same thing happen to me o, and i call him and ask when did you enter naija with out telling me and he said his not calling from naija and now told him about this 080
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by aspirebig: 8:15am On Nov 17, 2017
Very true ...
Some time ago, a family member called me from one of those north American countries, I saw 0809.... I was confused ....because it took the caller some moments to introduce self and I was like " please are you in Nigeria now"? The caller said "no"... just because I recognised the caller's voice and also when I asked, some people also confirm having gotten such international calls.

I think it should be looked at and if there is a congent reason for that...let the public be aware.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 17, 2017
It probably your friend is even using voice over internet to communicate you like whistle phone sure it must be voi can't be a standard sim line whistle phone does that wella Skype does it too TextNow might do same so they prefer to using those app so they might only need to connect to WiFi to make call and stay long that reason why you can't dial same number back in Nigeria format and get them instead you will be speaking with some here in Nigeria that the owner the number keep changing when ever they called
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 8:22am On Nov 17, 2017
marvolio2000:
You can get in in your anus
see ur mouth like my anus
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 8:23am On Nov 17, 2017
bola565:

sure you can get it, from those guys that sells beside road in computer villa that usually holds phones and handkerchief (they are there for people like you)
wen u go take me go there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 People On Social Media We All Hate / What Words Do You Hate Seeing On Social Media? / How To Use Your MTN Blackberry Subscription On TECNO And Then On PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.