Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? (20312 Views)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / How To Add Numbers To Airtel Family And Friends 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 8:24am On Nov 17, 2017
makebrainz:

Go to sambisa mall in Maiduguri, ask of shehu the phone dealer. Thank me later
OK , na u I wan make u take me go there ooo, make we go together

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Sylverly(m): 8:24am On Nov 17, 2017
torres89:
it's a very technical issue, only experts can explain to experts.
but it's nothing extra ordinary or intentional.
sometimes to offer ultra high frequency, too many changes and variances take place. your phone might be too slow to process such quick changes.
it's better to have this kind of issue than to have break in network when talking.

I suggest u check your phones network capabilities. it might just be running too slow,

I doubt if this will be an issue with iPhone users.

I tried to sound as lame as possible
And you did well with the sound.. .
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by holysina(m): 8:25am On Nov 17, 2017
The international calls are been roamed to make it look like the caller is calling from naija because ncc increased international calling with about 500%. Monkey die another monkey bury am.

2 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Jofet(m): 8:32am On Nov 17, 2017
Oh dear!!! It is true. I bounced my oversea school rep who called from England because the number was 080... and she said she is called from my school in England. Walahi i thought it was a yahoo yahoo call. God!!!
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....

I investigated this some months ago and saw a news article where the Nigerian government increased the cost of international inbound call by 500%

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Sanchez01: 8:38am On Nov 17, 2017
Black traffic. It has nothing to do with neither the NCC or Telcos within Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by esbjaygmailco(m): 8:40am On Nov 17, 2017
its not a big deal pls, Yanky guys do that alot, my bro call with different numbers which you cant call back. its a way of hiding your real number from people who always call ask for money or probably ask you to send something down to them by force.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by jacoik(m): 8:40am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ?
Esanu Mi...
hhhhh shebi na my slap dey hungry u abi
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by ochardbaby(m): 8:42am On Nov 17, 2017
Not only the telecom companies are ripping, some
Big shots too have some equipment @ home that can do that and they get paid for each of those calls. Ncc go see am like local,gees go dey collect the differences that will amount to money @ the end of every single day/week/month.

Many ways to getting rich today!

Your personal personal go dey wonder why you know dey pick up... and the bad thing is it will show different numbers each time he/she calls.

Some of the numbers will be reachable and na another person wey no even sabi you or the caller. Mostly will be untraceable numbers.

Na universsal game,no be only Naija oh. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by CzarChris(m): 8:45am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
I thought something was wrong with my phone or my guy was using his nigerian line abroad. Nigeria my country, anything goes over here.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by 36STATES: 8:59am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all

He makes absolute sense. I used to own kobophones.com call forwarding based in London.
It is cheaper for the oversea networks to use internet calls or whatever, than direct dial and then forward it to your handset.
Most times it comes to you in a different numbers or what is called mask numbers.

It is most common with people who use call cards, such as Lycamobile, White, Sahara, Libera, Callhome etc.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Jethrolite(m): 9:01am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
The issue is from your friend, Nigerians abroad have a special line for calling home. That number displays as different numbers when they call, if they're in the UK it could display as a UK number but most times it picks a Nigerian number to display as. I don't believe local telecoms are responsible for the switch.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by MAKERIGHT: 9:09am On Nov 17, 2017
This is outright fraud and an affront to national security , I wonder what the DSS , EFCC and NCC are not in collaboration to investigating the Telcos who are manipulating the international numbers to local number to generate more revenue.
This process is called refiling and am aware that NCC is aware of this issue , why this is still going on unabated is what still baffles me.
NCC is quick to fine erring Telcos but look the other way when this issue is reported to them.
This process involves modifying the calling(International numbers) to a local number and terminating the call as local to local call, the Telco receiving the call and terminating it to the called number charges the overseas Telco(international network from where call is being made) $ USD, then modifies the number to local number to pay local interconnect for terminating the call on local network.
For example the calling number is +1322343 calling a local number 01232XXXX, if the telco modifies the calling number to 080XXXXX, 080XXXXX appears as the caller ID on called number 01232XXXX.
Please keep raising this issue till it receives the required attention.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by spoilerx: 9:13am On Nov 17, 2017
torres89:
it's a very technical issue, only experts can explain to experts.
but it's nothing extra ordinary or intentional.
sometimes to offer ultra high frequency, too many changes and variances take place. your phone might be too slow to process such quick changes.
it's better to have this kind of issue than to have break in network when talking.

I suggest u check your phones network capabilities. it might just be running too slow,

I doubt if this will be an issue with iPhone users.

I tried to sound as lame as possible

Utter rubbish !!!!! yet spoken with such confidence

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by aanexplus(m): 9:13am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:

I've experienced that. I found that the guy uses a satellite phone. Before you got the call, it would have been routed. This happens majorly with satellite phones. No big deal...
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Franky826: 9:18am On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....

Very correct!

Na Glo number dey show when I call
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by emorse(m): 9:24am On Nov 17, 2017
RapportNaija:

Never say what you didn't know. Z boy Ni!

OP, it is true they do it! I don't know why, but that's what they do!

Okay, I'm trying to recollect the reason...

I heard it was because they try to make the calls cheaper, that's why they change to local numbers.

International networks discovered that Nigerian networks charge exorbitant calling fees, so they found a way around it by converting to local numbers...

While you're here, see HOW TO STYLISHLY GET A WOMAN'S PHONE NUMBER
You obviously didn't notice the word "PROBABLY".
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bizhop01: 9:27am On Nov 17, 2017
[quote author=kolomax post=62452340]just shut the hell up if you don't know the reason behind it Instead of saying crap

the funniest thing about it is that you can't call back the number.

Must you c r y?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Ologuneruagba(m): 9:33am On Nov 17, 2017
The corruption in our country can only be cure by going back to our nursery and primary school to breed them under a new template that will format them as new breed. As for those above 12 years old, I doubt if anyone can reform them. The antivirus package that is required to clean them up has not be written.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by NotNairalandi(m): 9:36am On Nov 17, 2017
its because naija is in a mess!
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Juwohn: 9:36am On Nov 17, 2017
naijaboiy:
How many other people has it happened to before you concluded it’s their doing?

I have experienced that before and I don't think it is only calls to Nigeria.
I once called my gf in Ghana and she was ending the calls because she was expecting mine.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bcy(m): 9:43am On Nov 17, 2017
It's called call-cards which are not actually assigned to any physical SIM card. Hence, it generates numbers based on the country you call.
It's cheaper for those calling from Obodo Oyinbo to use call cards rather than calling with their registered lines.
It also provides security to the caller as their locations cannot be easily determined by receiver.

ikorodureporta:

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by macaphan007(m): 9:47am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:

its been going on for some time now,still don't understand the rationale behind it.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by godson4u79(m): 9:49am On Nov 17, 2017
I experienced the same

naijaboiy:
How many other people has it happened to before you concluded it’s their doing?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by erumena(m): 9:52am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:

It does makes sense, I've known about this since early months of this year.

Anytime my friends from UK calls, it's usually a Naija number that shows. I've mentioned it to them.

Even if they cut the call and redial, a different local line appears.

Though, they claim it's more expensive calling me these days.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 17, 2017
Same thing. when ever i call from the UK, my naija guys kept complaining that i should stick to one line. I never understood why because i was consistently using a Lebara line...now i do
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by fowlyansh181(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
he is right Dude .. speaking from experience
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by emorse(m): 10:08am On Nov 17, 2017
wallarwallar:
Babu sense... Ask wetin u dont know it has been like that for sometime now and the caller at d other end sometime are not aware
kolomax:
just shut the hell up if you don't know the reason behind it Instead of saying crap

the funniest thing about it is that you can't call back the number.
Abudu2000:
madmen everywhere
Are you guys too young to be civil or just too ignorant to understand my comment?
MONITZ:
Re u serious Mr.Man?Pls comment on things u re absolutely sure of,that the phone number of a person who is outside Nigeria changes whenever he calls Nigeria doesn't automatically translate to being a G boy,kk. I know this because I know two people who re outside Nigeria's shores whose phone numbers change to Nigerian numbers whenever they call,one of thrm is a very elderly person while the second is much younger. I think tg reason has to do with NCC policy..
phlame:
Don't conclude on what U know nothing about...

@op thats true because each time I call home(Nigeria), people always ask if I'm back...
SouthSouth1914:
Nope the guy is not! Telcos have been doing this for the last 6 months or more! They re-route calls for cheaper rate!!
shevon:
His friend is not a G boy, I have noticed the same thing too. My friends in Canada, US and UK call me often and 8 out of every 10 times they call, I see a local number. I've asked and they say they don't know why their numbers are showing like that. But there should be a logical reason to this though.
RapportNaija:
Never say what you didn't know. Z boy Ni!

OP, it is true they do it! I don't know why, but that's what they do!

Okay, I'm trying to recollect the reason...

I heard it was because they try to make the calls cheaper, that's why they change to local numbers.

International networks discovered that Nigerian networks charge exorbitant calling fees, so they found a way around it by converting to local numbers...

While you're here, see HOW TO STYLISHLY GET A WOMAN'S PHONE NUMBER
My comment was never definitive hence the use of the word "probably". Thanks for the info anyways.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Teeboi56: 10:08am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ?
Esanu Mi...
Go too ikeja I mean computer village I swear if na 20k Iphone 8 u want u we get plenty of it when u get there
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by linearity: 10:09am On Nov 17, 2017
It is not the telecom companies that are doing it, in fact the telecom companies are loosing money through this practice, hence they are asking for local call rates to increase to render the lucrativeness of this practice mute.

All these calls are IP calls, sharp Nigeria guys, buy IP VoIP gateways, which have one leg as IP and on the other leg can have like 24 or 32 GSM lines.. they then buy 24 or 32 pay as you go GSM sim from any operator of their choosing...,these GSM lines have fix numbers.

They now go abroad and start selling voice termination to Nigeria, once they get a buyer, they offer their gateway IP for interconnection. The calls originates abroad over the internet and once it hits their gateway IP address in Nigeria, it is routed out through those GSM lines as local calls at local rates. So the numbers you see are those GSM numbers and not your friend's number.

These foreign calling card companies prefer these methods because the calls are terminated using local rates and they are bypassing Glo and Nitel who are the only international terminating license owners in Nigeria and therefore not paying international termination cost.

Telecom companies in Nigeria believe that, if local termination rates are increased, revenue lost through these rogue gateways will be reduced or eliminated as the incentive to do it will no longer be there.

Also, big international calling providers sponsor these kind of VoIP gateways, they look for locals and use them as proxies to set them up, both sides smiles to bank each day, while Nigerian licensed international terminating gateway providers loss money!

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bigtt76(f): 10:13am On Nov 17, 2017
Very correct and it is illegal. They use equipment called SIM Box and host multiple mobile lines on it sometimes up to a thousand lines belonging to different networks. They have accomplices in several countries and they interconnect with them via Internet to localize foreign calls.

yoddy:

It's called call termination whereby the calls are routed through the internet to a termination device here in Nigeria and the final connection is via a local number.

This is done for reduced call charges.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by GetUmad: 10:20am On Nov 17, 2017
esbjaygmailco:
its not a big deal pls, Yanky guys do that alot, my bro call with different numbers which you cant call back. its a way of hiding your real number from people who always call ask for money or probably ask you to send something down to them by force.
Thrash!
Say what you know and sure of. The reason you gave is lame.
When I call Nigeria with my line I experience sane as well. We don't have control over what numbers get displayed down there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 People On Social Media We All Hate / What Words Do You Hate Seeing On Social Media? / How To Use Your MTN Blackberry Subscription On TECNO And Then On PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.