Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,768 members, 7,865,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 09:35 AM

States With Health Insurance Laws In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / States With Health Insurance Laws In Nigeria (11887 Views)

Senate Wants Mandatory Health Insurance For All Nigerians / Lagos Leads Highly Indebted States With More Than N1 Trillion Debts / Herders Crisis: Grazing Laws In Benue, Taraba, Ekiti To Be Reviewed — Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: States With Health Insurance Laws In Nigeria by Visionwriter: 3:11am On Nov 24, 2017
360command:
you seem to focus more on the working class, you and I know we are in a country of unemployment.. So there is a need for govt to "subsidize" various drugs or health delivery service.. If we do have a good NHIS, I can go to the govt or private hospital as long as they accept my NHIS card and not someone or some hospital focusing on me if I work...

Look chairman, in one way or the other, I have a right for free medical service that is why the "govt" exist.. Go to advance countries and I will tell you that some people get medicare for free.. Even as a foreigner people sometimes enjoy benefit from free health care.. You can't tell me I don't have a right.. If I don't have right, what of people seeking asylum.. Is it not free service they enjoy...

What are you talking about?

Sorry, man. You don't have a "right" to free medical service, unemployed or not. Government is not there to be your father or mother. You should study the history of democratic government (or any kind of government anyway). Government is not there to take care of you. Nigerian government runs that way in order for politicians not to owe you anything when they get into power since they give you everything for free (or try to).
What do you think happens when people who work see that their labor is collected and distributed to others without fair compensation. Ever wondered why more doctors are running out of this country and going abroad? Because you are not working for the money that government is using, you think it appears miraculously. In those other countries you are talking about, the people work and contribute to the government to do things that individuals cannot or will not do - build roads, public schools, security.
Medicare that you referred to is a US program that was built for the elderly. They were expected to contribute to the system through their working lives and then get a certain minimum health insurance when they retired. Unemployed people could use the system because on average people remained unemployed for a few months (3-6 months) and usually had been contributing to the system or were on their parents health insurance policy. The poor can use it as a government aid not as a right. Big difference. Guess by the way which government program contributes the most to the US's $17 trillion dollar debt. The government should provide medical aid when it can but bro, its not a right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Northerners Are More Politically Enlightened Than Southerners -Tony Momoh / NLC Insists On N30,000 Minimum Wage As Reps Begin Public Hearing - Channels Tv / Train Attack: Chinelo Caused Her Own Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.