Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,273 members, 7,836,226 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Does The Teaching On Tithing In Malachi 3:9-10 Apply To Us Today? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Teaching On Tithing In Malachi 3:9-10 Apply To Us Today? (755 Views)

Prophet Ufuoma Bernard: "No More Tithing In My Church, Daddy Freeze Is Right" / Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) / Apostle Suleman Replies Daddy Freeze on Tithing Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does The Teaching On Tithing In Malachi 3:9-10 Apply To Us Today? by gpmorgan: 11:04am On Nov 24, 2017
Malachi 3:9-10 is often used to teach the need for Christians to tithe to local churches today. That passage reads, “You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.” Does this teaching apply to Christians today?

The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the Levites; Custodian of the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30-32; Numbers 18:21-28; Deuteronomy 14:22-29)

What should Levite do with the tithes: (Nehemiah 10:30-38; 2Chro 31:4-10): The Levite/Priest are to deposit the tenth of the tithe at the store-house of God, (so there must be food at any point in time) for visitors and needy to see something to eat etc.

Fallout of Levite non remittance of tenth of Tithe. (Malachi 3:2-10): After a long period of time, it was observed that the children of Israel (part of other 11 tribes) and Judah residing in Judah were no longer paying the commanded tithe and the Levite no longer depositing at the store house of God. Hence, this Malachi 3:4 admonitions. The store house of God has been empty for very long time.

New Testament:
After the death of Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, (Mathew 5:17; Mathew 23:23; Luke 11:42) The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the body of Christ. But we must give cheerfully and with Love. (Luke 6:38, Mark 12:41-45)

Christ become the chief Priest and took the function of Levitical Priesthood (but never received nor pay tithe neither did the 12 Apostles.) we are priest too through Jesus Christ (Hebrew 7:2-27; 9:13-17; Ephesians 2:11; 1Peter 2:5,9).

The principle in the New Testament is to give voluntarily to support the needs of others (Acts 2:45-47; Romans 15:25-27), support Christian workers (1Corinthians 9:11-14; 1Timothy 5:18; 1Corinthians 16:2), and expand Christian outreach (Philippians 4:15-16). No specific amount is ever commanded, and no percentage is suggested. While a tithe or tenth of one’s finances may be a good standard to use for Christian giving, it is clear the early church did not focus on a specific amount but rather on meeting needs. This sometimes included giving much more than a tenth, as some believers sold homes or land to meet the needs that existed in the church (Acts 4:34-37).

In conclusion, it is no longer a law/command to pay one-tenth of our income to the Levite as Jesus Christ has fulfilled the law, there is no curse if one does not pay tithe, and paying of tithe is not a Sin so far you are happy giving it to the lord.

cc; lala & other churches.
Re: Does The Teaching On Tithing In Malachi 3:9-10 Apply To Us Today? by KardinalZik(m): 11:39am On Nov 24, 2017
Tithe is a DEBT, not a gift.
Re: Does The Teaching On Tithing In Malachi 3:9-10 Apply To Us Today? by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 24, 2017
From the whole write up can you point were Jesus said we shouldn't pay tithe or you're just assuming?

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On How To Start Church Business / Faith's Fruits. / Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.