Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,526 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname (1170 Views)

Husband Fills Wife's Car With Concrete After She Changed Her Surname For Job / Bachelors, Will You Throw Tantrums If She Refuses To Adopt Your Surname And W... / Is There any sensible reason why women should bear your surname name ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Africanbest(m): 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2017
Recent trendy shows names whereby the Surnames involves the dash sign ( -).
So the question is why, when and how do you need it
And you as a person, would you be involved or are you already?
E.g Mrs Josephine Okoro-Adesine
Let's discuss
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
1. Woman keeps maiden surname alongside husband's name to keep father's name alive.
2. Those kinda names are compound names so a woman will keep it cos she knows she'll live in a compound when she marries. grin grin grin grin kiss kiss
3. It is fashionable for a woman to use her name that way.
4. An unmarried lady with worthy accomplishments won't want her name forgotten so she maintains it alongside her husband's.
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2017
1. It allows you to stay connected to accomplishments that you achieved before you got married. Most famous superstars, actresses are examples of people who do such.

2. Women who choose to hyphenate do so partially because they have earned higher educational degrees and certifications under their maiden names. And want to keep it that way without changing it. It gives them a sense of pride.

3. They might have also had things published or publicized and want to stay connected to that identity. Like Professors, Scientists who have publications out there, will want to retain the names on those publications.

4. The 'Lost' feminist. I must say this even though i try to resist the urge to join the discourse on this issue. By lost i mean someone who the real idea of feminism is so confusing to, that they have lost touch with all it really is about. Such women will not want to give up her maiden name to take that of any man. So hyphenation of the names solves her problem, while keeping her husband happy and herself too.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Blackhawk01: 1:03pm On Nov 24, 2017
Compound name? Way to go! cool
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 24, 2017
I won't force my wife to bear my name but if she likes she can keep hers if it's for a sensible reason.
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 1:21pm On Nov 24, 2017
I don't know lol, I remember when I was in secondary school, I used to tell my classmates that my dad brought about the McAfee anti-virus. And they bought the lie because of my surname. grin
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Surfboard(m): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2017
If by dash, you mean compound names, then it has been around for a minute and won't be going away.

I personally like compound names as it allows you have information about a woman's maiden name without having to ask her.

And for the woman, she doesn't totally lose all he identity just because she has gotten married, which is a half victory for feminists

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by SupremeBeast: 2:18pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
I don't know lol, I remember when I was in secondary school, I used to tell my classmates that my dad brought about the McAfee anti-virus. And they bought the lie because of my surname. grin
congrats then, you have won for yourself a PhD in lies.
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 4:47pm On Nov 24, 2017
SupremeBeast:
congrats then, you have won for yourself a PhD in lies.
I've repented. grin
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 24, 2017
Don't care really...undecided
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by MissRaine69(f): 5:01pm On Nov 24, 2017
Having a double barrelled name is nothing new ( what you refer to dash or hyphen if we are being proper)
I have a double barrelled second name , my father and my mother’s surnames say I was married I could have his name added or use his name alone.
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Oyindidi(f): 5:03pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackfyre:
Don't care really...undecided
Blackfyre, is this your main?
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 24, 2017
Oyindidi:
Blackfyre, is this your main?

Yup....why do everyone keep asking
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Oyindidi(f): 5:06pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackfyre:

Yup....why do everyone keep asking
Thought its an alt. You sound like an old member
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 24, 2017
Oyindidi:
Thought its an alt. You sound like an old member

Aren't we all old members tongue....mine dates as far back as '011....you?
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Oyindidi(f): 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackfyre:

Aren't we all old members tongue....mine dates as far back as '011....you?
09, what's your old? Let's go to our joint grin
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by SupremeBeast: 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
I've repented. grin
lol since when?
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 6:12pm On Nov 24, 2017
SupremeBeast:
lol since when?
Since I gave my life to Jesus. grin
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by SupremeBeast: 6:17pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
Since I gave my life to Jesus. grin
lol so what are you going to do with your PhD then?
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 8:30pm On Nov 24, 2017
SupremeBeast:
lol so what are you going to do with your PhD then?
Give it to whoever needs it lol.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by SupremeBeast: 12:11am On Nov 25, 2017
makydebbie:
Give it to whoever needs it lol.
LMAO, I hear you. your dp is nice and your son is very cute like you of course.
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 6:21am On Nov 25, 2017
SupremeBeast:
LMAO, I hear you. your dp is nice and your son is very cute like you of course.
Lol, that's my nephew. Thanks for the compliment. smiley
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by Stevengerd(m): 6:44am On Nov 25, 2017
makydebbie:
Lol, that's my nephew. Thanks for the compliment. smiley
Lol,
My nephew
Re: What's Your Take On Adding Dash To Your Surname by makydebbie(f): 6:45am On Nov 25, 2017
Stevengerd:
Lol,
My nephew
Who else can he be? Lol my child?

(1) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Women Romantic? / She Flogs Her An SS2 Boy Almost 50strokes Of Cane For Calling Her “aunty Ass” / A Minute Silence To All Single Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.