Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! (2228 Views)

US Pastor, Creflo Dollar, Denounces His Position On Tithing, I Was Wrong (video) / Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) / Apostle Suleman Replies Daddy Freeze on Tithing Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by scriptaz18(m): 7:25am On Nov 26, 2017
Daddy Oyedepo recently opined, and I quote in part, “...It’s tithing that secures your blessing.”

No, sir! It is the heart to give that secures our blessings. God doesn’t look at the size of your gift BUT your reaction while giving it!

The story of the Pharisees and the poor widow (and her mite) comes to mind. While they were doing a ‘roadshow’ with their giving, the widow’s intent to part with her ‘last card’ was sincere just like the widow of Zeraphath and Elijah.

Like the Pharisees, you can give all your earnings as a tithe BUT if the content of your heart says otherwise, I wonder how that can “secure your blessings”.

That you tithe isn’t a determinant that God must bless you. Tithing is one of the crosses we must carry as believers. It is our own sacrifice for the Gospel!

I’m of the strong opinion that Tithing is the responsibility of every believer – there should be no incentive attached to it to make it seemingly appealing to the Church.

Whether there’s a benefit derivable from it or not, it is our duty to pay TITHE. We pay tithe more for the physical needs of the church than our ‘own’ blessings!

It's high time Pastors taught the church the difference between offering and tithes and other forms of giving – see, God expanded the kingdom of Solomon because of his ‘massive offering,’ not tithe!

There are many people in the Bible whom God touched their lives because of their offerings, and not tithing.

Hence, I still hinge the fact that tithing is our duty, not our investment to God or the church.

Methinks God doesn’t look at our offering, seed sowing or tithing BUT the willingness of our heart to part with them before He blesses us.

Thank you.

Kingsley Ugo Okenwa
25/11/17

3 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Nwodosis(m): 7:27am On Nov 26, 2017
You better agree with him or no blessing for you o, he's the one that submits the list of those that tithes to God for blessings! That's the only good thing that Buhari government has brought, opening our eyes on tithing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by rusher14: 7:40am On Nov 26, 2017
This guy have put his self for trouble.

You want to argue with Our Daddy .

No heaven for you again.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Henitan24(f): 7:44am On Nov 26, 2017
How on God's Earth does tithe secure a man's destiny? What scripture is the Bishop relying on?

We should be grateful that the Scripture is closed. Otherwise, many of our G.Os would have published their own Bibles.

For instance, we'd see inclusions like;

'The Gospel of Tithing According to Oyedepo'.

'The Epistle of Adefarasin on Tithing'.

'The Revelation of Ashimolowo on Tithing'.

When the scripture cannot substantiate your argument, you'd have to write your own scripture.

"The overpampered G.Os are scrambling, cooking up fantabulous rebuttals and are faltering seriously in the sad process! They are looking more and sounding worse than a bunch of militarized Leprechauns defending their pot of gold from some sustained outside attack, than the true keepers of the Word Of Life. Never knew asking critical religious question could ever be this agonising..."

#truthisscared

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by SUPERPACK: 7:49am On Nov 26, 2017
read the law of tithe.

2 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Hiccups: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2017
shocked
The real problem is believers who will not spend time to study the scriptures.

5 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 26, 2017
scriptaz18:
Daddy Oyedepo recently opined, and I quote in part, “...It’s tithing that secures your blessing.”

[size=8pt]No, sir! It is the heart to give that secures our blessings. God doesn’t look at the size of your gift BUT your reaction while giving it!

The story of the Pharisees and the poor widow (and her mite) comes to mind. While they were doing a ‘roadshow’ with their giving, the widow’s intent to part with her ‘last card’ was sincere just like the widow of Zeraphath and Elijah.

Like the Pharisees, you can give all your earnings as a tithe BUT if the content of your heart says otherwise, I wonder how that can “secure your blessings”.

That you tithe isn’t a determinant that God must bless you. Tithing is one of the crosses we must carry as believers. It is our own sacrifice for the Gospel!

I’m of the strong opinion that Tithing is the responsibility of every believer – there should be no incentive attached to it to make it seemingly appealing to the Church.

Whether there’s a benefit derivable from it or not, it is our duty to pay TITHE. We pay tithe more for the physical needs of the church than our ‘own’ blessings!

It's high time Pastors taught the church the difference between offering and tithes and other forms of giving – see, God expanded the kingdom of Solomon because of his ‘massive offering,’ not tithe!

There are many people in the Bible whom God touched their lives because of their offerings, and not tithing.

Hence, I still hinge the fact that tithing is our duty, not our investment to God or the church.

Methinks God doesn’t look at our offering, seed sowing or tithing BUT the willingness of our heart to part with them before He blesses us.

Thank you.
[/size]

Kingsley Ugo Okenwa
25/11/17

I think you are confused. Your daddy's name is Okenwa, and Oyedepo knows the number of children he has.

6 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by nathanccr(m): 9:59am On Nov 26, 2017
SUPERPACK:
read the law of tithe.
Thanks
Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by scriptaz18(m): 10:33am On Nov 26, 2017
bizme:

I think you are confused. Your daddy's name is Okenwa, and Oyedepo knows the number of children he has.

Thank you, sir my 'Daddy Bizme'! ���
Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 26, 2017
scriptaz18:

Thank you, sir my 'Daddy Bizme'! ���

You're welcome dear.

1 Like

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by mrwonlasewonie: 10:48am On Nov 26, 2017
This is the way I see tithing.are you using your tithe as a means of worshipping God or you're bribing God to bless you.

If he didn't attach blessing to the reward of tithing,WOULD YOU STILL TITHE?
Are you tithing because you want God to bless you or its another way of worshipping God with your finances

If you had no problem in your life and finances,if Nigeria was an utopian country,will you still worship God? Would you still tithe if you were not sick or needed anything from.God?

The bttomline at the end of the day is MOTIVES for tithing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by scriptaz18(m): 10:56am On Nov 26, 2017
mrwonlasewonie:
This is the way I see tithing.are you using your tithe as a means of worshipping God or you're bribing God to bless you.

Are you tithing because you want God to bless you or its another way of worshipping God with your finances

If you had no problem in your life and finances,if Nigeria was an utopian country,will you still worship God? Would you still tithe if you were not sick or needed anything from.God?

God bless you, sir. You are on line - motive really matters in the act of giving (tithing and other forms of giving).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by MuttleyLaff: 1:37pm On Nov 26, 2017
mrwonlasewonie:

scriptaz18:
God bless you, sir. You are on line - motive really matters in the act of giving (tithing and other forms of giving).
The only tithes to God are:
1) the Levitical tithe aka Mosaic Law tithe, which God permitted to be given only to NOWS
(i.e. NOWS being an acronymn for No-inheritance Levites, Orphans, Widows and Strangers)
and
2) the Abraham type of tithe, given to a priest cum king (i.e. Melchizedek)
- see #3 below about this one

Other tithes in a secular world context (i.e. give a tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1) are:
1) the Mesopotamia/Babylonian tithe, given at pagan temples to priest(s)
(note: extra biblical references will be provided upon request, similar with #3 below)
2) the type given upon the king's demand's (note: bible references will be provided upon request)
3) the type given to local ruler cum priest worthy of the consideration, after taking up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war

"For this reason I am sending you prophets and wise men and experts in the law,
some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town

- Matthew 23:34

Another tithe, not previously stated, is the ecclesiastical tithe
Any expert in the biblical law, or anyone for that matter, familiar with the biblical law, can attest that
this particular tithe was thought of, at a much later time, as it originally wasn't & never intended to be practised at all.

Ecclesiastical tithe, is where a christian gathering, taxes its members 10%, tenth, 1/10 or possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income.
Some christian gatherings, even have a tithe ledger,
and members fall out of the christian gatherings' favour, if their names are found wanting in the tithe ledger book.

If anyone, so wishes to tithe, as in give a tenth, 1/10, 10% or possibly 0.1 of your financial income, there is nothing wrong in that
but you'll be going down the wrong path, the moment you permit this practice to be imposed upon you as a religious duty

Ecclesiastical tithe is performing something imposed and so consequently is a religious duty

Do you know what the gospel means and is?
Gospel means good news
and it typifies FREEDOM, from any type or form of obligatory or imposed tithing.

Observe that, Matthew Chapter 23, which is the only place in the bible, where & when Jesus ever mentioned tithing, has 7 woe curses in it
No one needs to be reminded of what the symbolic representation, meaning and/or significance of the number 7 in the bible is.

Suffice to say, you'll be placing the woe curse upon yourself, if you willingly accept ecclesiastical tithes from the needy and poor.
Also, the woe curse betide, anyone, guilty by association, in cahoots, with those accepting ecclesiastical tithes from the needy and poor.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by lovingJehovah: 3:19pm On Nov 26, 2017
You cannot keep paying the tithe and still be a christian. If you insist on paying the tithe, then you are a Jew and you do not believe in the death of Christ.

3 Likes

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by MuttleyLaff: 4:25pm On Nov 26, 2017
scriptaz18:
Daddy Oyedepo recently opined, and I quote in part,
“...It’s tithing that secures your blessing.”
It would have been nice if you had provided scriptural evidence to support
or prove the truth of this "... It’s tithing that secures your blessing" outlandish remark

scriptaz18:
No, sir! It is the heart to give that secures our blessings.
God doesn’t look at the size of your gift BUT your reaction while giving it!

The story of the Pharisees and the poor widow (and her mite) comes to mind.
While they were doing a ‘roadshow’ with their giving, the widow’s intent to part with her ‘last card’ was sincere
just like the widow of Zeraphath and Elijah
The difference between the two widows are:
The former, instead of being assisted, was fed with an unbalanced twisted doctrine and so exploitedly taken advantage of
whilst the latter, Elijah had to remind her of what God commanded her to do for him

scriptaz18:
Like the Pharisees, you can give all your earnings as a tithe
BUT if the content of your heart says otherwise, I wonder how that can “secure your blessings”
But the Pharisees, didnt give all earnings,
They gave a a tiny part of their surpluses
Jesus said they gave a tiny amount of what they had left over, after all their requirements have been met
Example:
Compare billionaire, giving a million dollars, after all his financial commitment and requirements have been met
with a poor woman who has lost her husband by death and has not married again struggling financially giving all $20 money she has away

scriptaz18:
That you tithe isn’t a determinant that God must bless you.
Tithing is one of the crosses we must carry as believers.
It is our own sacrifice for the Gospel!
Do you know what the gospel means and is?
Gospel means good news
and it typifies FREEDOM, from any type or form of obligatory or imposed tithing.

scriptaz18:
I’m of the strong opinion that Tithing is the responsibility of every believer
What scriptural basis do you base this strong opinion on please?

scriptaz18:
– there should be no incentive attached to it to make it seemingly appealing to the Church
There is no incentive for believers, attached to obligatory or imposed tithing.
Incentives, for believers, however are attached to doing the-3-rights giving, of which obligatory or imposed tithing is excluded

scriptaz18:
Whether there’s a benefit derivable from it or not, it is our duty to pay TITHE.
We pay tithe more for the physical needs of the church than our ‘own’ blessings!
Show in the bible, where the physical needs of the "church" is advised to be met by tithing
and I will respond in kind, with the principle of church support laid down and recommended in the bible to meet the physical needs of "church"

scriptaz18:
It's high time Pastors taught the church the difference between offering and tithes and other forms of giving – see, God expanded the kingdom of Solomon because of his "massive offering" not tithe!
You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
(i.e. you shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give)
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

No, I disconcur with the entire statement.
Correctly, it's high time Pastors taught the "church" the revolutionary way of giving, which believers are instructed or urged in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above, to do

Secondly, the massive offering you are alluding to were cattles, oxens, sheep and goats (i.e. burnt offering etcetera)
Offering is a form of giving
but not all giving is offering
Financial giving or monetary giving, isnt in biblical context, offering
Contributing to the treasury box, like the poor widow did, isnt in biblical context, offering
None of the patriachs, in the bible, gave money, as offering to God,
The Israelites gave "terumah" as money, which in hebrew means contribution
It wasnt spent but used in making sockets for the tabernacle's posts etcetera

Whatever the Israelites gave for building the tabernacle, (re)building the temple,
is always deemed as contributions, in the for of willing offering,
which usually are animals, material goods like fine leathers, fine linens, acacia woods, technical services/skills, gifts of gold, silver and bronze etcetera

scriptaz18:
There are many people in the Bible whom God touched their lives because of their offerings, and not tithing
Sacrifice and meal offering You have not desired;
My ears You have opened;
Burnt offering and sin offering You have not required

- Psalm 40:6

That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God,
"You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings.
But you have given me a body to offer.

- Hebrews 10:5

Mayne, offerings is old school things.
The new and better way God touches peoples lives now
is not because of their offerings, and not tithing, certainly not obligatory or imposed tithing
but it's by the guides in 2 Corinthians 9:7 and Matthew 25:35-40

scriptaz18:
Hence, I still hinge the fact that tithing is our duty, not our investment to God or the church
Our duty can be found in James 1:27, 2 Corinthians 9:7 and Matthew 25:35-40
Believers are not obligated to perform any form of imposed tithing

2 Corinthians 9:7 is a rehashed principle God HAS always endorsed,
as evident in
Exodus 25:2, Exodus 35:29, Deuteronomy 15:10 & 1 Chronicles 29:9

scriptaz18:
Methinks God doesn’t look at our offering, seed sowing or tithing
BUT the willingness of our heart to part with them before He blesses us.
Thank you.

Kingsley Ugo Okenwa
25/11/17
I totally concur with this 2-pronged statement, because both of the prongs are so blatantly true
The good condition of the heart is crucial,
as seen in OT Exodus 25:2, Exodus 35:29, Deuteronomy 15:10, 1 Chronicles 29:9 and NT 2 Corinthians 9:7

1 Like

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Sagacity07: 5:21pm On Nov 26, 2017
grin

@the Op....you made a very strong point and everything you said is true....but I think your approach doesn't cut it at all....From your write-up, u are a lovable Christian but you adopted a Me vs Oyedepo stance....You know several verses that allude to sortimg out your issues with your brothe(in this case Oyedepo).

Quite rightly you might not be able to meet him but no doubt the spirit of the letters wouldn't make it out the way you did. Also we don't know the entire context from which you cut out his words...The total context would give us a true understanding of what he meant.

Blessings.!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by Sagacity07: 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

The only tithes to God are:
1) the Levitical tithe aka Mosaic Law tithe, which God permitted to be given only to NOWS
(i.e. NOWS being

I think the word "old testament" and "New testament" is doing some a disservice. The bible is a progressive revelation of one person: Jesus christ. This is because he is the solution to the fall of man. All the bible details is how man fell, What is God's solution to restore man's rightful position....simple but detailed grin

1. God's solution was Jesus....
2. He needed to appoint a race that would set the ball rolling and from which the messiah would come.

AT A POINT FALLEN ANGELS HAD SEX WITH HUMANS...Remember...programming(the life) is in the blood. Satan also knew this.

3. Abraham was chosen...he delivered.
4.Isaac , Jacob, 12 sons all delivered.

5. Moses said a Prophet like unto me will the lord raise among you...All that means is a law giver. Someone that is capable of telling you what to do, not another way to do things but what you need to do. (I am THE way)

6. The prophets all setting the stage for the solution to humanity's fall: Jesus

7. Jesus came and made the fundamental laws adjusted clearly stated....example is the eye for an eye law. The other is the stone to death for adultery.....

8. Jesus christ sat at the treasury in the temple and was looking at how people put in money....Jesus christ said the widow(husband, dead) has put in all she had...He didn't exempt the widow from giving because she was poor, he commended her because she gave even though she was poor.

9. Jesus condemned the acts of the pharisees that were not in tandem with truth...when it comes to what should be practised, Jesus never condemned tithing in the new testament...the bible didn't specify if she was paying tithe but from what was the Jewish practise over 400 years before that time, the treasury was where tithes were stored...(Nehemiah 13:12)

10. Yes the above passage mentiones grains grin but the truth is that those days, the more trusted means of exchange was trade by barter because of the largely agrarian economy...the existence of money or as the major piece of exchange is evidence of a boisterous economy...Jerusalem at the time of Jesus was largely money driven....

11. At the old testament times, work was highly agrarian...remember naboths vineyard, Solomon said honor the lord with thy substance and with the first fruit of all thine increase...Our times, money is our substance , chemical engineering or accountancy our vineyard. The fruit is our salary.

12. Tithes belong to God(Jesus in this case). Abraham gave tithes to Melchizedek( a man having no father or mother), We are kings and priests unto our God ....that's right but the bible talks of a priest-hood like no other that can ever exist. Jesus christ is the only one equated to that priesthood "after the order of Melchizedek"

13. For us gentiles, the bible still links us as children of Abraham through faith...He even said the gospel(exact word used) was preached to Abraham(Gal 3:cool

14. It is obvious tithe was a revelation made to Abraham before even the law was in force.....because giving a tenth to God (Melchizedek) was first recorded as an Abrahamic practise

15. Jesus is the new testament Melchizedek. We give our tithe to Jesus grin.....Relax.... grin Jesus is the head of the church and the church is the body of christ....So giving to the church is in effect giving to christ... grin.
If that is the case why can't we just give to any "brethren" since he/she is also the body of christ?

16. The principle adopted by the apostles was to have a cimmon purse and the church leadership would be responsible for the administration of the resources
Paul also did same. He even ensured he never severed links with the church in Jerusalem(1st cor. 16:2&3)

17. So the tithes and offerings are made to Jesus through the church for the propagation of the gospel. The tithes are not for the pastor's upkeep, he is not a levite...Jesus was not a levite. Jesus' priesthood is after the order of Melchizedek.

18. We all possess that priesthood based on Jesus. Paul had a profession. Priscilla and Aquilla had jobs they did so as not to be a burden to any man. The tithe is particularly meant for the spreading of the gospel. This was how the gospel came to Africa. That was how schools (missionary schools) were financed. Through tithe an offering.

19. One of the reasons why persecution started in the church in Jerusalem was that they were complacent. Jesus told them Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and uttermost parts. They only heard Jerusalem grin. They were only preaching to Jews as Jesus had formerly did not realising it wad time for them to spread out their wings and fly. Peter had the vision of Acts 10 that set in motion the ministry to the gentiles.

20. The bible says there are differences in administration but the same lord.....The mandate given to one pastor as to how he administers the tithe will differ based on geography and times...e.g. Barthlomew's administrative capacity will defer from Barnabas'.The bottom line is do not eat the tithe.

cool
Re: Still On Tithing – I Disagree With Daddy Oyedepo! by scriptaz18(m): 6:13pm On Nov 26, 2017
Sagacity07:
grin

@the Op....you made a very strong point and everything you said is true....but I think your approach doesn't cut it at all....From your write-up, u are a lovable Christian but you adopted a Me vs Oyedepo stance....You know several verses that allude to sortimg out your issues with your brothe(in this case Oyedepo).

Quite rightly you might not be able to meet him but no doubt the spirit of the letters wouldn't make it out the way you did. Also we don't know the entire context from which you cut out his words...The total context would give us a true understanding of what he meant.

Blessings.!!! cool

Bishop Oyedepo reveals what will happen to those who don’t pay tithe NEWS
Published on November 24, 2017
By Seun Opejobi 