Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years (49463 Views)

Maryam Sanda And Yewande Oyediran Spot The Difference! / Oyediran Joseph, Wanted By FBI, Arrested In Ilorin - EFCC (Photos) / Yewande Osunsanya Goes Missing In London (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by scotz101(m): 11:43pm On Nov 27, 2017
stephanie11:
@POLITICSNGR

A Female Lawyer, Yewande Oyediran, who is responsible for stabbing her husband to death has been slammed with a seven-year jail term .

Oyediran who killed her husband Lowo, was on Monday sentenced to seven years in prison by Justice Muntar Abimbola for manslaughter.

The former staff of the Department of Public Prosecution in the Oyo State of Ministry of Justice killed her husband with a knife after a disagreement on February 2, 2016, at their residence in Akobo area of Ibadan.

The couple has no child.

https://politicsngr.com/2017/11/27/yetunde-oyediran-woman-killed-husband-sentenced-7-years/

7years only? if it was a man now he's gonna get 40 years... Menh I don't understand this world o
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by lereinter(m): 12:04am On Nov 28, 2017
this is unfair
we are not in SA
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by queenfav(f): 2:59am On Nov 28, 2017
PDPGuy:

And the judge may have taken into account some mitigating factors whilst preparing the verdict. It may have been her first felonious offense.
Exactly.. She is a first offender. Before the incident she was working in the DPP's office at the Ministry of Justice in Ibadan. It still beats me how she could allow anger ruin her life this way.

1 Like

Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by Partnerbiz(f): 7:47am On Nov 28, 2017
queenfav:
Not really, but if the prosecution cannot prove the offence beyond reasonable doubt, the court cannot punish the accused with the maximum penalty. So long as a little doubt was created, it works to the advantage of the accused person.

If they are unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt, then she ought to be acquitted then except the facts are consistent with manslaughter in which case the punishment is life imprisonment --- except if it's different in Oyo. This is unlikely.

Again, I am not sure whether life imprisonment in the case of manslaughter is a maximum punishment-- a situation that gives the judge the discretion to reduce same.

Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by Magnifico2000: 9:05am On Nov 28, 2017
BCISLTD:
7 years for muder
There is a slight difference between murder and manslaughter.. get your facts right!
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:00am On Nov 28, 2017
Wheree biacan? I know say she dey happy. This country is a piece of dry sh!t.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:03am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Wheree biacan? I know say she dey happy. This country is a piece of dry sh!t.
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:09am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeew
Lol. I don't support your kind of Feminist.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:10am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Lol. I don't support your kind of Feminist.
Leave me nah waiting I do you.........?
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:15am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Leave me nah waiting I do you.........?
Lol. Na love o.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:17am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Lol. Na love o.
Love ko hate ni
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:20am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Love ko hate ni
Forget say i been dey rush you recently, but am in a good mood today. I say make i show you my good side small. Biacan i know say youu be good girl. No be so?
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Forget say i been dey rush you recently, but am in a good mood today. I say make i show you my good side small. Biacan i know say youu be good girl. No be so?
Don't play the innocent guy here after all the names you and your friends called me on that thread that was deleted
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Don't play the innocent guy here after all the names you and your friends called me on that thread that was deleted........where you vow to destroy me which can never happen
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:27am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Don't play the innocent guy here after all the names you and your friends called me on that thread that was deleted........where you vow to destroy me which can never happen
Yes thats what am saying. I don't hate you, we don't hate you. Ok baby.. I want you to forget about what happened, na how you treat that case cause everything.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:31am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Yes thats what am saying. I don't hate you, we don't hate you. Ok baby.. I want you to forget about what happened, na how you treat that case cause everything.
Yeah cause I never mention you.....and you came from no where and attack me which was inappropriate
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:31am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Yeah cause I never mention you.....and you came from no where and attack me which was unacceptable
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:39am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Yeah cause I never mention you.....and you came from no where and attack me which was unacceptable
Lol. But you attacked me na. You said i was heartless. But lets forget all those. Oya sorry. Lets be friends.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:42am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Lol. But you attacked me na. You said i was heartless. But lets forget all those. Oya sorry. Lets be friends.
We're friends already nah
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:45am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
We're friends already nah
Lol. I nor understand this kind friend wey you dey talk o. Hope no be the kind friend we i be some days ago.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Lol. I nor understand this kind friend wey you dey talk o. Hope no be the kind friend we i be some days ago.
Nah
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by NaeChris: 11:53am On Nov 28, 2017
biacan:
Nah
Ok. You are welcome.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by biacan(f): 11:58am On Nov 28, 2017
NaeChris:
Ok. You are welcome.
k
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by queenfav(f): 2:13pm On Nov 28, 2017
Partnerbiz:

If they are unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt, then she ought to be acquitted then except the facts are consistent with manslaughter in which case the punishment is life imprisonment --- except if it's different in Oyo. This is unlikely.

Again, I am not sure whether life imprisonment in the case of manslaughter is a maximum punishment-- a situation that gives the judge the discretion to reduce same.
Going by rules of interpretation in law, this sentence is not mandatory.. It would have been so if the draftsmen of the Criminal code act used the words "shall" or "must". As it is, the judge has a discretion to reduce d prescribed sentence. His discretion can be applied to reduce the recommended sentence based on the circumstances of the case. I think that was what happened here. My colleague is just telling me that evidence was led to show that the husband has been beating her, so much that she had miscarried pregnancies several times. Neighbors came to testify to the beatings during trial . You can now imagine the anger she felt learning that the same man that was beating her up, made her lose pregnancies because of the abuse, had a child outside Nigeria.She cudnt get a grip on her emotions and obviously didn't think it through before stabbing him. I am sure the fact that it was a crime of passion and her being a first offender influenced the Judge's decision to sentence her to 7 years imprisonment .

1 Like

Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by Partnerbiz(f): 11:27am On Nov 29, 2017
queenfav:
Going by rules of interpretation in law, this sentence is not mandatory.. It would have been so if the draftsmen of the Criminal code act used the words "shall" or "must". As it is, the judge has a discretion to reduce d prescribed sentence. His discretion can be applied to reduce the recommended sentence based on the circumstances of the case. I think that was what happened here. My colleague is just telling me that evidence was led to show that the husband has been beating her, so much that she had miscarried pregnancies several times. Neighbors came to testify to the beatings during trial . You can now imagine the anger she felt learning that the same man that was beating her up, made her lose pregnancies because of the abuse, had a child outside Nigeria.She cudnt get a grip on her emotions and obviously didn't think it through before stabbing him. I am sure the fact that it was a crime of passion and her being a first offender influenced the Judge's decision to sentence her to 7 years imprisonment .

Eiyaa. Nawao.
Let's see how it goes shaa.
The state may appeal.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by luluosas(m): 11:37pm On Nov 11, 2018
What happened to capital punishment and public execution of criminals in Nigeria?
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by femiasaolu2014: 9:50am On Jul 20, 2022
I hear this woman was flown out of the country to the USA immediately Ajimobi granted her clemency.

I wonder what's she is up to today. I won't be surprised if she is married to some man, ignorant of her murky past.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by kingthreat(m): 1:01pm On Jul 20, 2022
femiasaolu2014:
I hear this woman was flown out of the country to the USA immediately Ajimobi granted her clemency.

I wonder what's she is up to today. I won't be surprised if she is married to some man, ignorant of her murky past.

I doubt if she would be married though. Woman is far from beautiful. A Google search on her will expose who she really is.
Re: Yewande Oyediran, Woman Who Killed Her Husband Sentenced To 7 Years by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 21, 2022
femiasaolu2014:

Sad cry
she is out of prison long time ago
That was when ajimobi was elected for second term
She only spent 2yrs in prison
Meanwhile the husband is gone forever cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gracious David West: Ladies Recount Encounter With Port Harcourt Serial Killer / Saudi Executes Indonesian Maid For Killing Employer During Rape Attack(Pic) / Corper Johnson Onyilo Commits Suicide (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.