Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,225 members, 7,842,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? (3273 Views)

I Want My Son To Be A Programmer, How Do I Go About It / Urgent Help: Where To Download Udemy Courses / Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 2:23pm On Dec 02, 2017
asalimpo:
You are using notepad for coding ... You remind me of me when i first started.
Your problems will multiply going that route.
Get an ide or a java programming text editor like notepad++.
Download the documentation for your language. It's essential.
It seems your arent learning in a structured disciplined manner but just trying things out - maybe using web snippets or youtube videos. Get a good book- and slug through it,that way you wont come here asking
redundant questions.
yeah... I saw someone discouraging the use of IDE when you're a beginner
but this problem in Google, i saw people proffering various solutions (including calculations). It's like there isn't inbuilt automatic methods to do it.
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 2:24pm On Dec 02, 2017
pcguru1:

exactly which makes it more annonying, these are question you can google and solve, I think dev of this gen have too much hand-holding, when i was learning programming Stack Overflow and Programming communities didn't exist.
cheesy bros I hail oo
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by asalimpo(m): 8:14pm On Dec 02, 2017
pcguru1:

exactly which makes it more annonying, these are question you can google and solve, I think dev of this gen have too much hand-holding, when i was learning programming Stack Overflow and Programming communities didn't exist.
When i was learning, home internet was 5 years away (when mtn and glo released their dongles).
It was all cyber cafe all the way. if you're stuck no quick dash to the net to solve ur problems.
No youtube then?
I think it all boils down to laziness. intellectual laziness. That's y programming is the only (or one of the few) professions where people cant bluff their way thru easily. You either can program or not. That's y there's scarcity of good coders. This generation of instant everything has made people lazy asses. pathetic
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by asalimpo(m): 8:21pm On Dec 02, 2017
HealerC:

yeah... I saw someone discouraging the use of IDE when you're a beginner
but this problem in Google, i saw people proffering various solutions (including calculations). It's like there isn't inbuilt automatic methods to do it.
Just use what you have but for those who've gone before u , consider their advice.
Notepad for coding - No No.
You want my opinion- use a programmers text editor -first,learn to compile from the command line.
Then learn to set classpath and put jar files in them. Learn how to use javadocs.
After that, you can go use whatever ide u choose.

Y learn without an ide first? - to simply know how things work under the hood.
if you learn how things work under the hood,you'll be a stronger more knowledgeable coder.
It's like learnng basic arithmetics without a calculator-at first,y? It makes your brain stronger..
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 12:33pm On Dec 03, 2017
asalimpo:

When i was learning, home internet was 5 years away (when mtn and glo released their dongles).
It was all cyber cafe all the way. if you're stuck no quick dash to the net to solve ur problems.
No youtube then?
I think it all boils down to laziness. intellectual laziness. That's y programming is the only (or one of the few) professions where people cant bluff their way thru easily. You either can program or not. That's y there's scarcity of good coders. This generation of instant everything has made people lazy asses. pathetic
cry
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 1:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
asalimpo:

Just use what you have but for those who've gone before u , consider their advice.
Notepad for coding - No No.
You want my opinion- use a programmers text editor -first,learn to compile from the command line.
Then learn to set classpath and put jar files in them. Learn how to use javadocs.
After that, you can go use whatever ide u choose.

Y learn without an ide first? - to simply know how things work under the hood.
if you learn how things work under the hood,you'll be a stronger more knowledgeable coder.
It's like learnng basic arithmetics without a calculator-at first,y? It makes your brain stronger..
Hello Happy Sunday
Thanks for your input..... Notepad++ would be great for now then.
Perhaps u started developing when waptrick and java games were reigning then although they're a bit obsolete now. I'll learning Java (a bit), lets say when i finish learning it, java for small java phones, for pcs, java for android, are they different concepts? I ask this question because Android is (at least) one very useful application of java (although Java might'nt be Android's official language) and the book I'm reading said it's google's version of Java Android uses (google's version of java Is it very different)

And i think the book I'm reading is good enough. I went through some parts of the table of contents and saw Java docs at a later topic "subroutines".... The topic just after the topic I'm in ( i still dey chapter 3 oo bros grin)

And I'm not just trying it. I plan to be more serious in learning it just that there are things that are (a bit) more prioritized than learning programming right now.

Btw I think it's because variables of type string are objects unlike those of type int, that's why strings have more application (maybe)

Happy Sunday all

grin
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2017
Maybe its about time to close the thread angry
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 03, 2017
HealerC:

Hello Happy Sunday
Perhaps u started developing when waptrick and java games were reigning then although they're a bit obsolete now. I'll learning Java (a bit), lets say when i finish learning it, java for small java phones, for pcs, java for android, are they different concepts? I ask this question because Android is (at least) one very useful application of java (although Java might'nt be Android's official language) and the book I'm reading said it's google's version of Java Android uses (google's version of java Is it very different)

And i think the book I'm reading is good enough. I went through some parts of the table of contents and saw Java docs at a later topic "subroutines".... The topic just after the topic I'm in ( i still dey chapter 3 oo bros grin)

And I'm not just trying it. I plan to be more serious in learning it just that there are things that are (a bit) more prioritized than learning programming right now.

Btw I think it's because variables of type string are objects unlike those of type int, that's why strings have more application (maybe)

Happy Sunday all

grin

Java for Small Phones -> J2ME Don't bother no one does this anymore Android has taken over, I used to write in this during a Nokia Academy in CCHUB

Java for PC -> Swing, JavaFX , To be sincere JavaFX has more effects but I see Swing used more , but these days everyone uses Electron (Memory Hogger)

Java for Android -> Actually it uses Java to talk to it's API not that it runs Java, it's Unix under so Java is used to talk to the underlying API which is in C++ that's why Android game dev use C++ and write their own apps in NDK (no experience here )

They are referring to the Virtual Machine I think a more experienced Android Dev can comment on that, Here is what you should do, reading the whole book won't work once you covered the basic follow this approach of building an application that works, start with console applications, it can even be tools you need for yourself,

try a simple app that takes input from user and stores to a txt file, that will expose you to File API, using bytes to read contents and FileStream, gradually you will understand how to approach problems and code. caio
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 9:47am On Dec 05, 2017
pcguru1:

Java for Small Phones -> J2ME Don't bother no one does this anymore Android has taken over, I used to write in this during a Nokia Academy in CCHUB

Java for PC -> Swing, JavaFX , To be sincere JavaFX has more effects but I see Swing used more , but these days everyone uses Electron (Memory Hogger)

Java for Android -> Actually it uses Java to talk to it's API not that it runs Java, it's Unix under so Java is used to talk to the underlying API which is in C++ that's why Android game dev use C++ and write their own apps in NDK (no experience here )

They are referring to the Virtual Machine I think a more experienced Android Dev can comment on that, Here is what you should do, reading the whole book won't work once you covered the basic follow this approach of building an application that works, start with console applications, it can even be tools you need for yourself,

try a simple app that takes input from user and stores to a txt file, that will expose you to File API, using bytes to read contents and FileStream, gradually you will understand how to approach problems and code. caio
Thanks (i havent reach these areas at all)
But at least I just wanna know that while learning java now, when I wamt to learn the language java for android, it isnt gonna be a completely new concept
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 9:47am On Dec 05, 2017
pcguru1:

Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 9:55am On Dec 05, 2017
Why cant I post on some other sections on nairaland
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 05, 2017
HealerC:

Thanks (i havent reach these areas at all)
But at least I just wanna know that while learning java now, when I wamt to learn the language java for android, it isnt gonna be a completely new concept

All you need is Java SE and you are good, intact once you pass the basic data types and OOP you can start, Android Development though React native would have been faster for you but its good to learn the Native first in case you wan build plugins for Cordova or React Native for future.
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by asalimpo(m): 6:46pm On Dec 05, 2017
HealerC:

Hello Happy Sunday

Happy Sunday all

grin
download
1. javadoc. it's a zip file
2. winrar - for opening zip files
3. notepad++ - for coding initially until you know what's going on under the hood
4. emacs,vim - for knowing what a long lived text editor is like. Never used them though,
but people who have say they're revolutionary.
Try them,they have a learnng curve.
5. some ides - i dont use ides . but for some coders they're the ish.
6. all the ebooks you can get on the programming language your are targeting.
7. A generator/inverter/solar: you 'll need constant power.
8. 3 years - be patient, you wont really know what is going on until 3 years + of heavy work.
Just keep doing it.
9. A mentor - some1 who's been there,done that. If you can't find one, pay the time cost.
like i said 3 years of constant coding and learning b4 u enter stage 1 - white belt.
10. stubborness and willingless to fail a lot - when i started there was no stack overflow,
no nairaland nothing. Installing the java compiler and writing hello world took almost 6 hrs!!
but i eventually did it. If youd dont have that kind of persistence , just forget it.
Many people start out wanting to do programming but 10,stops them. They soon fall by the way side.
if your calculator gets spoilt can your write one,after a few years of learning programming?
10,is bulldog tenacity to get it solved or die trying. Can you go that long? debug a program all thru the night? 10 is everything.
Re: Help! Where Did I Go Wrong? by HealerC: 7:58pm On Dec 07, 2017
asalimpo:

download
1. javadoc. it's a zip file
2. winrar - for opening zip files
3. notepad++ - for coding initially until you know what's going on under the hood
4. emacs,vim - for knowing what a long lived text editor is like. Never used them though,
but people who have say they're revolutionary.
Try them,they have a learnng curve.
5. some ides - i dont use ides . but for some coders they're the ish.
6. all the ebooks you can get on the programming language your are targeting.
7. A generator/inverter/solar: you 'll need constant power.
8. 3 years - be patient, you wont really know what is going on until 3 years + of heavy work.
Just keep doing it.
9. A mentor - some1 who's been there,done that. If you can't find one, pay the time cost.
like i said 3 years of constant coding and learning b4 u enter stage 1 - white belt.
10. stubborness and willingless to fail a lot - when i started there was no stack overflow,
no nairaland nothing. Installing the java compiler and writing hello world took almost 6 hrs!!
but i eventually did it. If youd dont have that kind of persistence , just forget it.
Many people start out wanting to do programming but 10,stops them. They soon fall by the way side.
if your calculator gets spoilt can your write one,after a few years of learning programming?
10,is bulldog tenacity to get it solved or die trying. Can you go that long? debug a program all thru the night? 10 is everything.
cheesy Look at specs
pcguru1:

All you need is Java SE and you are good, intact once you pass the basic data types and OOP you can start, Android Development though React native would have been faster for you but its good to learn the Native first in case you wan build plugins for Cordova or React Native for future.
Thank you very much guys...... I really appreciate smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / My Journey Into Shopify Development ( Theme ) / Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.