Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,678 members, 7,813,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

The Use Of Affectionate Words - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Use Of Affectionate Words (1730 Views)

The Affectionate Names A Coworker Usually Calls Me.. / 3 Ways To Be More Affectionate / Indian Man’s Joystick Rots After Extended Use Of Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 9:53am On Nov 29, 2017
I met this girl last year and liked her the very first time I saw her, but we didn't talk until about four months later.
when our friendship began she was so used to using words like ''baby boy, darling, sweety etc''. this was very strange coz I've never been it, neither do I use it for people. But I later discovered that she uses it for people a lot.
the strangest one I experienced was when she said ''sorry darling, sorry dear'' to somebody we all know.

My very point is, shouldn't one be careful of how he/she uses such word?
can one be so free?
I most times frown at people using it for me, especially those who I know are into relationships or so.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 29, 2017
grin

Well, there is nothing wrong with it actually especially when this person is very used to it & besides she's ur friend..unless it came from a stranger, then that's very weird...

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 10:08am On Nov 29, 2017
IamKashyBaby:
grin

Well, there is nothing wrong with it actually especially when this person is very used to it & besides she's ur friend..unless it came from a stranger, then that's very weird...
she's a close friend.
well, I'm not used to it. I actually don't like it coz it causes unnecessary bonding.
I only allowed hers continue coz I liked her and was in fact hoping for a relationship .....but it seems that's her style anyway
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissWrite(f): 10:14am On Nov 29, 2017
anochuko01:

she's a close friend.
well, I'm not used to it. I actually don't like it coz it causes unnecessary bonding.
I only allowed hers continue coz I liked her and was in fact hoping for a relationship .....but it seems that's her style anyway

If you aren't comfortable with it, you should say something to her to get her to stop. Different strokes for different folks. People use it to show affection, give comfort, force familiarity, or to soften the effect of a harsh sentence.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 10:21am On Nov 29, 2017
MissWrite:

If you aren't comfortable with it, you should say something to her to get her to stop. Different strokes for different folks. People use it to show affection, give comfort, force familiarity, or to soften the effect of a harsh sentence.
uhmmmn.
but what about saying ''I'm very sorry'' rather than ''sorry darling''.
my up bringing thought me to always consider the effect of such words on the other person, so I don't give a wrong impression or toil with emotions.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissWrite(f): 10:42am On Nov 29, 2017
anochuko01:

uhmmmn.
but what about saying ''I'm very sorry'' rather than ''sorry darling''.
my up bringing thought me to always consider the effect of such words on the other person, so I don't give a wrong impression or toil with emotions.

Those terms of endearment have been grossly abused and for some people they're not as weighty as they seem to be for you. Just like your up-bringing has taught you to revere those words, some other people have been brought up hearing them every minute: "sweetie, please pass me the salt" as a stronger appeal than "please pass me the salt". The stereotypical Hollywood agent calls everyone "honey" or "darling" to force familiarity in the industry. You cannot expect people to adopt your view when they are already used to a way of life. The only thing you can get them to do is respect your own sensibilities. And since you're not used to flinging around terms of endearment as carelessly as some people, just tell them to respect your space.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissWrite:

Those terms of endearment have been grossly abused and for some people they're not as weighty as they seem to be for you. Just like your up-bringing has taught you to revere those words, some other people have been brought up hearing them every minute: "sweetie, please pass me the salt" as a stronger appeal than "please pass me the salt". The stereotypical Hollywood agent calls everyone "honey" or "darling" to force familiarity in the industry. You cannot expect people to adopt your view when they are already used to a way of life. The only thing you can get them to do is respect your own sensibilities. And since you're not used to flinging around terms of endearment as carelessly as some people, just tell them to respect your space.
great reply.
It wouldn't have been my business if I had no feelings for her.
until there's something concrete between us, I'll have to deal with it.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2017
I call all the girls on my contact 'sweetie' except for the too religious one who I address as 'dear'. It doesn't really mean anything to me.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Prec1ous(m): 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2017
You are smart... It is very wrong.
I actually make it a point to avoid such people.

It is used for psychological conditioning and behavioural remodelling.

I guess i will elaborate later.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissJoy29(f): 4:25pm On Nov 29, 2017
writerights:
I call all the girls on my contact 'sweetie' except for the too religious one who I address as 'dear'. It doesn't really mean anything to me.
Exactly! I use those terms a lot on people I'm super friendly with even when there are no strings attached although I'm sensitive to the people I call it as not everyone can relate to it. But generally, I'm trying to tone it down a little as a few of my closest male friends told me that it tends to confuse, create false hope or unsettle the faint-hearted guys. So I don't use it as frequently as before.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

Exactly! I use those terms a lot on people I'm super friendly with even when there are no strings attached although I'm sensitive to the people I call it as not everyone can relate to it. But generally, I'm trying to tone it down a little as a few of my closest male friends told me that it tends to confuse, create false hope or unsettle the faint-hearted guys. So I don't use it as frequently as before.

Similarly, some ladies see it as flirting with them especially if the friendship isn't well defined.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 29, 2017
Prec1ous:
You are smart... It is very wrong. I actually make it a point to avoid such people.
It is used for psychological conditioning and behavioural remodelling.
I guess i will elaborate later.
?
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissWrite:

Sweetie, I think you just found your MrWrite and his rib is still missing.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissWrite(f): 5:52pm On Nov 29, 2017
writerights:

Sweetie, I think you just found your MrWrite and his rib is still missing.

grin grin, embarassed embarassed Darling, are you referring to yourself, or is there someone, T, D & H, hiding behind you? wink

nice name. Do you write?
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissWrite:

grin grin, embarassed embarassed Darling, are you referring to yourself, or is there someone, T, D & H, hiding behind you? wink

nice name. Do you write?

Who else but my humble self dear? I'm wondering what becomes of your moniker as soon as we take our vows.

I do. Do you write too?
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissWrite(f): 7:08pm On Nov 29, 2017
writerights:

Who else but my humble self dear? I'm wondering what becomes of your moniker as soon as we take our vows.

I do. Do you write too?

smiley

Yes, I write too.

I'll look you up in the literature section.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissWrite:

shocked "Humble", you say.......does that apply to your background as well? Sweetheart, since you mention taking vows I should better inform you that my tastes are far from humble. In fact, I hate all thing humble, humble pie and humblebees; you should consider that before you decide to drop to your knees. undecided (something like that embarassed)

Yes, I write too. ^^^tried to show you. smiley grin

"Humility" would be the most appropriate word to describe me when family and friends crave to know after whose heart you've dived so deep in love. Allow me into your paradise while I hand you the keys to El Dorado, still being my humble self. And that would be, only if you let our love grow. grin

I seldom visit the literature section buh since my missing rib has been found to be there looking me up, I'd just be a regular visitor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissJoy29(f): 7:58am On Nov 30, 2017
writerights:

Similarly, some ladies see it as flirting with them especially if the friendship isn't well defined.
True
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 8:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
MissJoy29:

that's my point exactly.
except for some friendships where the terms are CLEARLY STATED
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 8:28pm On Nov 30, 2017
writerights:

"Humility" would be the most appropriate word to describe me when family and friends crave to know after whose heart you've dived so deep in love. Allow me into your paradise while I hand you the keys to El Dorado, still being my humble self. And that would be, only if you let our love grow. grin

I seldom visit the literature section buh since my missing rib has been found to be there looking me up, I'd just be a regular visitor.
MissWrite:

smiley

Yes, I write too.

writerights:

I think I'll be entitled to the bride price
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by MissJoy29(f): 8:42pm On Nov 30, 2017
anochuko01:

that's my point exactly.
except for some friendships where the terms are CLEARLY STATED
Yeah...I get you.
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by danchuzzy(m): 9:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
anochuko01:

great reply.
It wouldn't have been my business if I had no feelings for her.
until there's something concrete between us, I'll have to deal with it.

So you knew you would actually end up having to deal with it...

And you are here disturbing some peoples peace?
Re: The Use Of Affectionate Words by anochuko01(m): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2017
danchuzzy:

So you knew you would actually end up having to deal with it...
And you are here disturbing some peoples peace?
goan sleep joor

(1) (Reply)

.manmen / “once A Guy Sleeps With Me, He Become Wretched For Life”- Slay Queen / How Do You Deal With Konji As A Young Man In Mid To Late Twenties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.