Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever (39915 Views)

Supersports Asks You To Select The Greatest Ever African In The Premier League / Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player / Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by PianoWizard: 10:47am On Nov 30, 2017
MENZPRIDE:

in one sentence, ' Messi is where he is today, simply because he is naturally gifted
don't mind that guy abeg, it takes hardwork to play great players like dinho, deco, henry, eto, xavi and iniesta.
if messi aint hardworking, how did he survive among these players.

5 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 10:47am On Nov 30, 2017
KinzyeWriter:
Messi wants international trophy... Messi needs to explore other club except Barcelona as you read in the article.

Pele was hindered for not playing in Europe, but his strength is the 3 world cup he won even though he is not the all time goal scorer.

Maradona has the most tiny weakness, to have played in Europe and won trophies and also a world cup in his international level.

Ronaldo has proven himself in the EPL by winning everything, in sporting, in Madrid, and international level.

Messi on the other hand risen into greatness with great players, and failed bunch of times in the international level... Now he hinders himself for being a one club man..

He is just a Barcelona legend bro grin

Which 3 World Cups did Pele win?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by MENZPRIDE(m): 10:48am On Nov 30, 2017
KinzyeWriter:
now you're Right, If he really want it, he wouldn't sign a new deal.

I guess you now know he does not really wants it...
He just wants to enjoy his football!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Kingsley121(m): 10:48am On Nov 30, 2017
Netfilix:
[b]The 30-year-old will spend another three seasons at Camp Nou, and his unwillingness to prove himself abroad will taint his legacy

Article continues below

In 1959, Pele scored what is considered the greatest goal of his career, and perhaps the best goal of all time. From a career of 1,283 goals, a header against Juventus is praised above the rest due to the outstanding technique in the build-up.

As no video evidence of the goal exists, computer simulations based on eye-witnesses and Pele himself were used to show how the then-18-year-old chipped the ball over three players and then the goalkeeper before heading it home - all in one fluid movement in which the ball never touched the ground.

There is no doubting that the virtual goal is spectacular. But it is one that comes with asterisks and disclaimers when being discussed as the greatest ever. The simulation is partly based on how Pele described it - and the Brazilian is not a man known for his humility, as he told FIFA.com in 2012 that “I was born to play football, just like Beethoven was born to write music and Michelangelo was born to paint.”

The opposition, Juventus, were not the one known to European audiences, either, but rather a local Brazilian side that Santos easily defeated with Pele scoring five times in a 10-1 rout.

Lots of Pele's goals were scored against inferior opposition, with the Brazilian only leaving Santos to join New York Cosmos at the end of his career, and never plying his trade in Europe.

Whenever an argument about the greatest player of all time comes up, Pele is one of the first names on everyone's lips. But his lack of success outside of Brazil is always cited as a reason why he cannot be considered alongside Diego Maradona, who transformed Napoli into the champions of Italy, or Johan Cruyff, a three-time European Cup winner with Ajax who also claimed domestic titles with Barcelona and Feyenoord.

On Saturday, Lionel Messi signed a new contract with Barcelona, keeping him at Camp Nou until 2021. By that time, the Argentine will be just about to turn 34, having spent 20 years with the Spanish club.

Messi arrived at La Masia as a 13-year-old, and has achieved everything he could ever have hoped at Barcelona. To date, he has won eight La Liga titles, four Champions Leagues and five Ballons d'Or.

Messi loves Barcelona and Barcelona loves Messi. It is unsurprising that he has decided to spend another three seasons with the club that he has made his own.

However, by signing a new deal at Camp Nou, he is also ensuring that his legacy as the world's greatest player will come with an asterisk like Pele's repeated challenge to successors: "When Messi's scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it," Pele told Le Monde in 2012.

The 30-year-old helped Argentina secure qualification for the 2018 World Cup with a tremendous hat-trick in their final qualifying game against Ecuador, but he will never match Pele's record of three World Cups - and is also unlikely to even equal Maradona's single World Cup triumph thanks to a lack of strength in the current Albiceleste squad.

"I like Messi a lot, he's a great player. Technically, we're practically at the same level," Pele said. "He's a great player for Barcelona, but when he plays for Argentina, he doesn't have the same success. People always ask me: 'When is the new Pele going to be born?' Never. My father and mother have closed the factory."

At Barcelona, Messi has been surrounded by some of the greatest players of the current generation. For the past 11 years, he has been chosen in the FIFPro World XI, which has featured at least two other Barca stars every year in support of the Argentine, including the likes of Ronaldinho, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Gerard Pique and Neymar.

When he lifted the Ballon d'Or in 2011, Messi dedicated the trophy to Xavi: "I want to share this with my friend; he deserves it."

Before signing the new three-year deal with Barcelona, Messi was linked with clubs across Europe, including a potential world-record €300 million transfer to Manchester City.

Mino Raiola, the agent responsible for superstars like Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, urged Messi to move away from Camp Nou, telling Marca: "A player like Messi must try another experience with a different club and prove how great he is."

Because of the decision to stay at Barcelona, football fans will be filled with doubt. Could Messi really have done it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke? The talent around him at Barca and the lack of success with Argentina will surely lead to people wondering if he is truly eligible for the greatest-ever discussion.

It is a little too easy to say Messi cannot be the greatest ever because he has only played for one club. But it will definitely be a topic of conversation, especially by supporters of great rival Cristiano Ronaldo, who won everything in England before moving to Real Madrid.

By signing a new Barcelona deal, Messi has ensured his legacy will be tainted by questions of 'what if?[/b]

>>>> http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/messis-decision-to-stay-at-barcelona-ensures-hell-never-be/4z8wgri22ikq1rf4z0izz0cib

Goal.com and op have a a lopsided view of this issue, why would he want to move when he plays for one of the best teams in the world, being paid well and also being treated well, what more could he ask for?
Going to to other leagues to ply his trade does not justify his greatness, do those other leagues not compete with barcelona in Uefa and get ousted out?
For someone who says if he would contend with a wet pitch and stoke city....lol, The kings of the English premier league have all been subjected to Messi's mastery and brilliance, talk less of stoke city.
And for those saying Ronaldo has gotten a trophy with his country,Everyone who was privileged to watch al portugal's matches in that tournament would know that Ronaldo was anonymous in most games, rather Nani was the man for portugal. And yes Messi has international accolades to his name like the U20 world youth championship in 2005 and the Beijing olympics in 2008

Most of the goals scored by pele were not in competitive matches, Ronaldo scores goals, Messi scores awesome goals.
To me, Messi remains the best that has ever played the round leather

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 10:48am On Nov 30, 2017
9jakohai:
Messi does need to move to another club...like Juve, or even PSG and Man City....and he has to win a World Cup....

Also, rather harsh attack on Pele. Pele played in a different era..when moving from club to club was the exception rather than the norm, plus the Brazillian leagues in the 1960's paid much better than Europe.

Why does he have to win WC?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Foxrain: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2017
Benz4pimp:
Did he say he wants to be the greatest ever?Most of you wake to write thrash about someone you know nothing about.....The fact remains,he is happy playing the round leather game where he is!!!!Ronaldo wants to be the greatest but ask yourself that question,is he happy?messi refers to be happy over whatever award you want to give him...He has a release clause,let a club meet that and buy him offf!!!
I tire, nice one bro.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 10:50am On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:
You're very correct, bro. Real football pundits & unbiased analysts have all called him the greatest ever, and I agree too. But I want him to win the world cup, so for now I'd just call him the greatest of his generation ONLY FOR THE SAKE OF HUMILITY. grin

Messi is the best there is!

To be frank, he does not need to win WC to be the Greatest and it is impossible for him to win WC.

2 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2017
9jakohai:

Pele's time was different. Until the 1970's..players rarely moved outside their home country to play football..plus the Brazillian leagues in Pele's time was very very lucrative. (Pele moved to Cosmos in the US because he had lost some money due to bad investments made on his behalf by someone he trusted)

Maradona...smh...sure he was good..but then came the drug scandals...and the rumors...

Messi's main issue is that the Argentina setup does not have players that can play well enough with him.That's why Messi has not won a world cup...compared to Maradona and Pele who were part of very good World cup winning squads..who could play effectively with them.

Ronaldo...yeah, better than Messi...at least he has shone in 3 leagues..but till he wins a World cup.

List the things that make Ronaldo better than Messi!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 10:54am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

So who is the greatest?
Brother, considering the world cups, I'd give it to Pele. But take away those world cups, Lionel Andres Messi is the KING, and NOBODY can hold a candle to him.

That Pele makes it a little difficult for me to decide between himself and Messi. grin
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 10:56am On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:
Brother, considering the world cups, I'd give it to Pele. But take away those world cups, Lionel Andres Messi is the KING, and NOBODY can hold a candle to him.

That Pele makes it a little difficult for me to decide between himself and Messi. grin

Why?

Which World Cups?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sambaby7640: 10:59am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

And so what?
This is trash,so you mean ronaldo has no talent and started from scratch abi.kontinue
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sultan5(m): 10:59am On Nov 30, 2017
KinzyeWriter:
Messi wants international trophy... Messi needs to explore other club except Barcelona as you read in the article.

Pele was hindered for not playing in Europe, but his strength is the 3 world cup he won even though he is not the all time goal scorer.

Maradona has the most tiny weakness, to have played in Europe and won trophies and also a world cup in his international level.

Ronaldo has proven himself in the EPL by winning everything, in sporting, in Madrid, and international level.

Messi on the other hand risen into greatness with great players, and failed bunch of times in the international level... Now he hinders himself for being a one club man..

He is just a Barcelona legend bro grin

You have to understand why Pele is being ridicule for not playing in Europe. Its because Europe is considered to have the best leagues.

Messi on the other hand is playing in the best league in Europe and you know what he has dominated it. So what's your point. Its just like you saying he should leave the premier league and go to the championship (i.e the 2nd league in England) to prove himself isn't that ridiculous?

He has played against the best in Europe in the champions league and has prove himself there against all other clubs who were dominating their leagues so whats your point. The truth is you guys are just looking for excuses where there isn't one just to pull a great player down. Yes he hasn't been unlucky in international football true, that is his only weakness.

And calling him just a Barcelona Legend just shows your contempt for the guy. He is a football legend. Any unbiased football fan will tell you this. Yes it could be argued Ronaldo is better but that doesn't in the slightest take away from the legend that is Messi.

Lets try to but sentiments aside and give honor where it is due.

5 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Rotty32: 11:00am On Nov 30, 2017
I disagree with you bro..... This guy has to play for another club so we can see more of his talent
Benz4pimp:
Did he say he wants to be the greatest ever?Most of you wake to write thrash about someone you know nothing about.....The fact remains,he is happy playing the round leather game where he is!!!!Ronaldo wants to be the greatest but ask yourself that question,is he happy?messi refers to be happy over whatever award you want to give him...He has a release clause,let a club meet that and buy him offf!!!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:00am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

He is the GREATEST EVER!

Do you know since when that tag has been debated on him by footballers and commentators?

Since 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajHZipPBSPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Av0KRFo0A

Now think about how much more he has done between 2011 and now!
You're very right, bro. Real football analysts and unbiased pundits have all tag Messi the very greatest, and I agree. I just want him to win the world cup - that would be the icing on the cake. So for now, I'd call him the greatest of his generation, just for the sake of humility. grin

But even without that, I mean world cup, he's ABOVE EVERYONE already.!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:00am On Nov 30, 2017
PianoWizard:
don't mind that guy abeg, it takes hardwork to play great players like dinho, deco, henry, eto, xavi and iniesta.
if messi aint hardworking, how did he survive among these players.

Apart from Ronaldinho, Messi was/is the star of the team when he played with those players.

And he was not a star over Ronaldinho because he was too young then.

Henry left UK being the greatest player ever in the EPL, to be like the 4th best player in Barcelona.

Here is what Henry himself has to say about Messi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyIgPqOpMWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGMaz93kgs

2 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:02am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Why?
Which World Cups?
Of course, you know Mr. Pele won three world cups.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:02am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Why?
Which World Cups?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:03am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Why?
Which World Cups?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:03am On Nov 30, 2017
Sambaby7640:
This is trash,so you mean ronaldo has no talent and started from scratch abi.kontinue

You are an idiot!

When did I say that?

If you are going to address me, better be advised you eat some balanced diet to charge your brain before you open your mouth, otherwise it would be brutal!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:04am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Why?
Which World Cups?
Of course, you know Pele won three world cups, huh?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:05am On Nov 30, 2017
Sultan5:

You have to understand why Pele is being ridicule for not playing in Europe. Its because Europe is considered to have the best leagues.

Messi on the other hand is playing in the best league in Europe and you know what he has dominated it. So what's your point. Its just like you saying he should leave the premier league and go to the championship (i.e the 2nd league in England) to prove himself isn't that ridiculous?

He has played against the best in Europe in the champions league and has prove himself there against all other clubs who were dominating their leagues so whats your point. The truth is you guys are just looking for excuses where there isn't one just to pull a great player down. Yes he hasn't been lucky in international football true, that is his only weakness.

And calling him just a Barcelona Legend just shows your contempt for the guy. He his a football legend. Any unbiased football fan will tell you this. Yes it could be argued Ronaldo is better but that doesn't in the slightest take away from the legend that is Messi.

Lets try to but sentiments aside and give honor where it is due.

Pele was playing in the best league back in the 50s and 60s. That is an irrelevant point against his claim.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:06am On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:

No, I don't know.

Tell me what WCs he won.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Ranchhoddas: 11:06am On Nov 30, 2017
Useless article.
Goal.com don fall hand.
LA Pulga is the greatest ever. The fact that we are debating it is proof.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sultan5(m): 11:07am On Nov 30, 2017
Rotty32:
I disagree with you bro..... This guy has to play for another club so we can see more of his talent

What more talent do you want to see. Chai! I tire for people. So the pure genius he has displayed in more than a decade nor do u? Brother fear God na.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sambaby7640: 11:09am On Nov 30, 2017
wolexy14:
which kain mumu talk be dis,he played with stars ,u forgot that he made an impact when he was small,and also Rinaldo u are talking about played with rooney,carrick and Ferdinand when dey were at their best .olodo
leave him let him keep saying trash.can you put ronaldo in a team like swansea or let say he was playing for swansea then and expect him to win something?the man u he play for had very good player then.

1 Like

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 11:10am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

No, I don't know.

Tell me what WCs he won.
Consult google, bro. And please, come forth with your points. I don't do rhetorics.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sultan5(m): 11:10am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Pele was playing in the best league back in the 50s and 60s. That is an irrelevant point against his claim.

And Messi is playing in the worst league today huh?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sambaby7640: 11:10am On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

You are an idiot!

When did I say that?

If you are going to address me, better be advised you eat some balanced diet to charge your brain before you open your mouth, otherwise it would be brutal!
mistake jare
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:11am On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:
Consult google, bro. And please, come forth with your points. I don't do rhetorics.

You make the arguments, you bring the evidence.

And then get educated and corrected!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by thunderbabs: 11:11am On Nov 30, 2017
Media will sha want to force an impression on the public by force by fire...fine tuning our brains.....At least d media acknowledge he is greatest but want him in the EPL especially to now mk him d greatest ever...iraanu

Mohammed Ali for com fight for Africa to b d greatest ever.....

Its illogical....Media

4 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:12am On Nov 30, 2017
Sambaby7640:
mistake jare

Okay, cool!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 11:13am On Nov 30, 2017
Sultan5:

And Messi is playing in the worst league today huh?

Where did I say or imply that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Chelsea New Signing Gonzalo Higuain Trains Alone At Cobham (Photos) / How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools / Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.