Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,570 members, 7,837,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever (40049 Views)

Supersports Asks You To Select The Greatest Ever African In The Premier League / Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player / Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Lhimeet(m): 12:10pm On Nov 30, 2017
1wolex85:

If you dont still get my point, i cant help you, sorry
You don't have a valuable point Bro...Baseless point!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:12pm On Nov 30, 2017
LordAdam16:

Cruyff invented the Barcelona style of play that Messi learned at La Masia. You could practically call Messi a football progeny of Cryuff.

And so what if he invented it? Being a good coach makes you a great player?

LordAdam16:

R9 came back from an injury that can only be described as a miracle. Which is the foremost reason why he is called El fenomeno. And he is the only other player in history who has the goalscoring instincts of CR7.

Nonsense argument.

Even Kanu came back from heart surgery that does not make him the greatest even in Nigeria.

LordAdam16:

Ronaldinho transformed football into an art. Neither Pele, Maradonna, Messi played as beautifully as he did when he was at his best. Not to take anything away from the later 3, but all they did/do is run past people with the ball stuck to their feet. Ronaldinho commanded the ball with ET-like touches.

Greatest entertainer does not equal greatest footballer.

LordAdam16:

Zizzinho inspired Ronaldinho. And was the first since Heleno to play like he was painting.

Heleno made football an art form.

And so?

Boy, how old are you?

LordAdam16:

Garrincha was better than Pele. He just didn't stay at the top level as long as Pele did. It's like comparing Ronaldinho to Neymar. It's pretty clear that Neymar would eventually surpass Ronaldinho in terms of stats and how long he'd be a top-flight legend. But Ronaldinho is unarguably better.

Aside Cryuff, all the other names I mentioned didn't stay as legends for 10+ years like Messi, Maradonna, Pele, and CR7. But if we're talking mainly based on ability, they enter the GOAT list comfortably. All of them could carry teams all by themselves when it mattered and they did.

-Lord

If you did not do it for long, there is no evidence you would have done it for long.

Kaka?

Rivaldo?

Pato?

Owen?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by ObaKlaz: 12:13pm On Nov 30, 2017
Alex Ferguson is not the greatest 'cos he coached just Manchester United. He couldn't have replicated his successes elsewhere. He needs to come out of retirement and prove his greatness with Eiber in La Liga. *Logic*

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:13pm On Nov 30, 2017
obonujoker:

He bettered Henry before he moved to Spain,oga.... and how is Rooney not better than Henry in EPL??

Are you having a laugh?

You know there is a time for comedy?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2017
cstr1000:

Messi have never scored against Chelsea all his life. And they have played each other many times in the UCL.

The last time they played, messi got knocked out of the UCL without scoring against Chelsea.

And your point?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Lhimeet(m): 12:16pm On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:
I expected a good debate from you, since mine is debatable. Else, you should've just read 'my opinion' and moved on, without mentioning me.

I'm still leaving the door open for a debate, my good sir.
I choose to respect your opinion though...I don't have the strength to type Bro...Stay Blessed! cheesy
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:17pm On Nov 30, 2017
1wolex85:

I'd really not like to count friendlies, when it matters, Argentina beats us

I count it.

They don't like losing to teams they regard as far lower, so it is normally a competitive game.

Worse still, lose by conceding 4 goals. Which was the same thing they suffered in Nigeria's first win. There was complete outrage in Argentina, they quickly had to organise a rematch in a week.

They take it seriously.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
LordAdam16:

As in eh, people can dey spout unbelievable statements sha.

No one is better than Cruyff at what he does best, intelligent play. No one.

-Lord

Zidane was better.

Iniesta too!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Are you having a laugh?

You know there is a time for comedy?

Henry never won anything with Arsenal outside the EPL..... Even RVN was a better goal scorer than Henry
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
obonujoker:

Henry never won anything with Arsenal outside the EPL..... Even RVN was a better goal scorer than Henry

TEEEEEAMS WIIIIIIIN COMPETITIONS!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:
Alex Ferguson is not the greatest 'cos he coached just Manchester United. He couldn't have replicated his successes elsewhere. He needs to come out of retirement and prove his greatness with Eiber in La Liga. *Logic*

grin grin grin

Jose Mourinho is better than Ferguson....
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Kingsley121(m): 12:22pm On Nov 30, 2017
cstr1000:

Messi have never scored against Chelsea all his life. And they have played each other many times in the UCL.

The last time they played, messi got knocked out of the UCL without scoring against Chelsea.

And Chelsea have never wished to be pitted against him, h e might not score goals but he's been spectacular against them, i won't forget 2005 champions league in a hurry
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:24pm On Nov 30, 2017
Iamthoney:
please school 'em Ronaldo fanboys very well...They all expect Messi to grace their mickey mouse league(EPL) before they will agree that he's better and they keep spewing trash about how Ronaldo left the EPL for La-Liga like he left on his own. Real Madrid met his valuation and he was sold so any damn club that want Messi in their rank should cough out his buyout clause or even more and see if Barcelona won't sell

EPL is the most competitive league in the last 15 years. So I would say it is the strongest league.

That said, it does not have the best teams. Spain does!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:24pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

TEEEEEAMS WIIIIIIIN COMPETITIONS!

And great players make their teams win... moreover individually, how is Henry the greatest ever....??

He wasn't the best dribbler
He wasn't the greatest assister
Never won individual honours
Won the golden boot on in EPL
Isn't EPL record scorer....

so??
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by miketayo(m): 12:24pm On Nov 30, 2017
1wolex85:

You really want to argue this? Who has been better than Henry in the EPL era?

As a player no one, that's because cr7 didn't stay long enough in EPL.
But Henry doesn't have d best career in EPL as a player..

Giggs, scholes, lampard, terry etc all had better careers in d epl
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:25pm On Nov 30, 2017
anigbajumo:

Lol,it was Barcelona that gave him 4× best player consecutively which Pele in the question not even won.Watin Ronaldo won in sporting?? U guys like to spew trash.Portugal team won the trophy without Ronaldo even 3rd in confed cup without Ronaldo. Wat d poo ar u spewing.

Messi is a playmaker, dribbler,creative Nd can determine match nd even goal scorer.

Ronaldo lack dribble accuracy,an't create chances from midfield, just 190% trash expect goal.No diff between Ronaldo,Kean,Aguero nd co.He is only prolific striker nothing else.If u doubt me,there are many matches messi won't score goal but will b given man of the match.That enough will tell u Leo is not about goal but assist,creative,dribble ,create spaces nd so on.Ronaldo is no where near messi though he is a good hardworker ,good finisher but can never near talent of messi.

Very well said!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
ObaKlaz:

grin grin grin

Fcking very well said!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by 1wolex85: 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
miketayo:

Now you are saying career and introducing longevity. The question is who has been the best player in the epl era? I agree that Ronaldo didnt stay too long though and wasnt as good as he is now in the EPL
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2017
obonujoker:

Jose Mourinho is better than Ferguson....

Even Jose would be holding his ribs laughing at you.
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by LordAdam16: 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Far better, mate.

They both played from non-9 offensive positions.

Cruyff was a decent dribbler and good passer, CR7 is a prolific goalscorer from the wings.

I would go with the goalscorer in this case.

Cruyff, to me, is not even as good as Ronaldinho and Zidane but he is in the same league with them.

You really need to do some soul-searching and understand why certain players are regarded as GOATs.

Becoming a GOAT is not entirely about scoring goals or running past players. It's also the natural talent and intelligence.

You can't compare Ronaldinho and Cruyff, they do different things. Ronaldinho has an unbelievable flair, but Cruyff has better in-play intelligence. Cruyff single-handedly lifted Ajax and Holland to becoming European and world footballing giants. He moved to Barcelona for a record transfer fee and showed it wasn't a fluke. The next year, he took Holland to the final (same thing Messi did in 2014).

Granted, he didn't score as many goals as CR7 or Messi while playing in a similar position. But he didn't have the Ozils, Modric, Kroos, Scholes, Giggs, Busquets, Iniestas, and Xavis that both CR7 and Messi have. Put Cruyff in MU of 2007-2009, Barcelona of 2009-2012, RM of 2013-2016 and he'd be breaking records like they were match sticks.

He was so good, he took his intelligence off the pitch to invent the same football philosophy that laid the foundation for tiki-taka--the best style of play of the last two decades. La Masia was revitalized based on his philosophy. Football wasn't an art to Cryuff, it was a science. No other person saw and understood the game like he did.

That's why he is on the list.

-Lord

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2017
obonujoker:

And great players make their teams win... moreover individually, how is Henry the greatest ever....??

He wasn't the best dribbler
He wasn't the greatest assister
Never won individual honours
Won the golden boot on in EPL
Isn't EPL record scorer....

so??

What utter nonsense!

So how come Drogba did not make CIV win ordinary ANC?

He is not a great player?

1 Like

Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Even Jose wold be holding his ribs laughing at you.

We just respect Ferguson noni.... buh can you tell me what Ferguson achieved, that Jose hasn't achieved??
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by 1wolex85: 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
Lhimeet:
You don't have a valuable point Bro...Baseless point!

This is your opinion, which doesnt count in the scheme of things. bye
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
miketayo:

How did they have better careers?
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:33pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

Very well said!

Buh Ronaldo is champions league highest assister ever....
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by miketayo(m): 12:33pm On Nov 30, 2017
1wolex85:

Now you are saying career and introducing longevity. The question is who has been the best player in the epl era? I agree that Ronaldo didnt stay too long though and wasnt as good as he is now in the EPL

I already said in terms of skill as a footballer there is no one better. But it doesn't mean he had the best EPL career
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by 1wolex85: 12:34pm On Nov 30, 2017
miketayo:

I already said in terms of skill as a footballer there is no one better. But it doesn't mean he had the best EPL career
He is still the best player to have played in the EPL
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:35pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

What utter nonsense!

So how come Drogba did not make CIV win ordinary ANC?

He is not a great player?
At least.... Drogba won African best..... what did henry win individually to make him EPL greatest
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by miketayo(m): 12:35pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

How did they have better careers?

Trophy is everything both personal and team.. and these players are almost as good as Henry
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by Sagamite(m): 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2017
LordAdam16:

You really need to do some soul-searching and understand why certain players are regarded as GOATs.

Becoming a GOAT is not entirely about scoring goals or running past players. It's also the natural talent and intelligence.

You can't compare Ronaldinho and Cruyff, they do different things. Ronaldinho has an unbelievable flair, but Cruyff has better in-play intelligence. Cruyff single-handedly lifted Ajax and Holland to becoming European and world footballing giants. He moved to Barcelona for a record transfer fee and showed it wasn't a fluke. The next year, he took Holland to the final (same thing Messi did in 2014).

Granted, he didn't score as many goals as CR7 or Messi while playing in a similar position. But he didn't have the Ozils, Modric, Kroos, Scholes, Giggs, Busquets, Iniestas, and Xavis that both CR7 and Messi have. Put Cruyff in MU of 2007-2009, Barcelona of 2009-2012, RM of 2013-2016 and he'd be breaking records like they were match sticks.

He was so good, he took his intelligence off the pitch to invent the same football philosophy that laid the foundation for tiki-taka--the best style of play of the last two decades. La Masia was revitalized based on his philosophy. Football wasn't an art to Cryuff, it was a science. No other person saw and understood the game like he did.

That's why he is on the list.

-Lord

It is about the natural talent, intelligence, your application of it repeatedly on the pitch, your carrying a team and your coming up to take the realm when it matters. All these done over a long period.

Ronaldinho, Zidane and Iniesta are better than Cruyff in these.

Some of you get too emotional about pioneers.

Being a pioneer does not make you th greatest everytime. Sometimes, people take your pioneering exhibition and take it to another level.

Cruyff introdced the fundamentals, Iniesta is a magician!
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by 1wolex85: 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2017
Sagamite:

I count it.

They don't like losing to teams they regard as far lower, so it is normally a competitive game.

Worse still, lose by conceding 4 goals. Which was the same thing they suffered in Nigeria's first win. There was complete outrage in Argentina, they quickly had to organise a rematch in a week.

They take it seriously.

Well, me I dont, when we beat them in a competitive game, I go know say we try
Re: Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever by obonujoker(m): 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2017
1wolex85:

He is still the best player to have played in the EPL

How?? what did he achieve with Arsenal??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Super Eagles Squad For Atletico Madrid Friendly Announced [see Full List] / John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family / Miss Of The Year: Aubameyang Fails To Score Open Goal Vs Benfica (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.