Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army (16295 Views)

Reps Approve Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request. South East Reps Kick / Isa Pantami: Boko Haram Kicks Against New Sim Card Policy, Threatens Minister / Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by meccuno: 2:14pm On Nov 30, 2017
if the soldiers can learn all 400 different languages in Nigeria then its okay by me.
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by SalamRushdie: 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2017
geometricaxis:
Army says it helps that its soldiers speak multiple languages to aid it's missions in various parts of the country, House of rep decides it knows how to run the army better that the Army

Are U aware that there are over 200 languages in Nigeria and many of them have no realationship with Igbo Haisa or Yoruba..It was a bad policy with a sinister motive
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 30, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Are U aware that there are over 200 languages in Nigeria and many of them have no realationship with Igbo Haisa or Yoruba..It was a bad policy with a sinister motive

you people always see meanings in everything, if it is not Northern agenda it is Muslim agenda, this is why progress never comes our way in this country, there is always some paranoid myopic backward looking person or group that will cry foul and block progress.

Every body in this country speaks at least one of the 3 main languages irrespective of the so called 200 different languages that we keep hearing about when it suits political arguments but rarely ever hear. Asking soldiers to speak all 3 is unrealistic, but if all soldiers or a significant proportion of them can speak at least 2, it will help their job.

Instead of seeking to turn all Nigerians into western clones with an inferiority complex who try to speak English in a western accent despite never having left Nigeria, the country should actually be encouraging All Nigerians to learn a Nigerian language other theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by prettyboi1(m): 7:43pm On Nov 30, 2017
We have the most useless 'leaders' anywhere in the world. What the Nigerian army proposed is a VERY GREAT idea. As usual, the idiots in the national assembly who can't think beyond their short noses have thrown the idea into the dustbin.

I'm neither Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba but I've also been of the opinion that ALL Nigerians should be made to learn & speak the 3 major languages.
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by prettyboi1(m): 7:50pm On Nov 30, 2017
geometricaxis:

you people always see meanings in everything, if it is not Northern agenda it is Muslim agenda, this is why progress never comes our way in this country, there is always some paranoid myopic backward looking person or group that will cry foul and block progress.

Every body in this country speaks at least one of the 3 main languages irrespective of the so called 200 different languages that we keep hearing about when it suits political arguments but rarely ever hear. Asking soldiers to speak all 3 is unrealistic, but if all soldiers or a significant proportion of them can speak at least 2, it will help their job.

Instead of seeking to turn all Nigerians into western clones with an inferiority complex who try to speak English in a western accent despite never having left Nigeria, the country should actually be encouraging All Nigerians to learn a Nigerian language other theirs.

Well-said! Learning all 3 languages is not even unrealistic. Soldiers go for courses very very often. Using the fact that they go for courses very often, I can bet that a year to learn 1 language would be feasible....that will be 3 years for the 3 major languages.

However, even if that is too much pressure on them, no problem...the language courses can be spread out over a timeline of years.

Check my last post....I'm even of the opinion that all Nigerians should learn to speak all the 3 major languages. I don't speak any of them per se....but I grew up in the South-West, so I understand Yoruba to some extent. However, I think it would be a great idea that the federal government makes all of us, Nigerians learn & speak all 3 languages.
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by michaelwilli(m): 7:51pm On Nov 30, 2017
indoorscholar:

Exactly, even the police is southern united States teach Spanish to some of their officers.

So a lot of soldiers in the US Army are taught arabic because most of their operations are in the middle east, requiring enlisting soldiers to know arabic, will be absolutely stupid.

The armed forces in Nigeria should take up the burden of educating soldiers, NCOs equally, not making funny policies

1 Like

Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by aribisala0(m): 7:55pm On Nov 30, 2017
The idea was a good one but wrong implementations. There should be a way of introducing an elective style with a basket of languages and the need to attain some proficiency in 3 or 4 languages including minority languages. Implementation should start with children the future generations who have capacity to learn
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by poseidon12: 11:10pm On Nov 30, 2017
Buhari is bad news for Nigeria. Patriotic Nigerians need to vote this divisive man out of a presidency he is not suitable for.
Re: Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army by poseidon12: 11:13pm On Nov 30, 2017
Paperwhite:
You mind that useless army chief? He is just as cluess as Buhari.The real subtle intention of the language brouhaha is to finally impose the hausa language which have been the defacto official means of communication in the armed forces esp.the army.

Exactly. They are trying to be clever by half.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Threatens To Pull Out Of Peace Accord Over El-rufai’s Comment, Police / NPA Expels SON, NAFDAC, NDLEA From Nigerian Sea Ports / Kanu Presents Map Of Biafra To Israeli Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.