Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (232) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916557 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Scholastica16: 6:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
hilaryxoxo:
Guys,

What do you think about this?
I applied to MSF/MFE programs at MIT, Johns Hopkins, Villanova, Oxford, Mcgill and Durham. Unfortunately, I got into all but the ones I really wanted - MIT, Oxford and Mcgill. TBH, i have no interest in the other schools and only applied there as a backup plan.

Option 1: Should i fashee and just go to Durham?

PRO's
- Cheapest amongst all my schools (£7,500 scholarship)
- My brother works in the UK so there's convenience
- I may be lucky enough to land a job in my dream BB

CON
- I may not be as lucky as my brother in terms of getting a job.
- I'd be more advanced than my classmates given my background

Option 2: Should I just stay back in Nigeria for another year, re-write the GRE (I got 322 the last time and MIT's average is 327) and re-apply (i'd obviously apply to more schools and i think i'd look into Canada)

PRO's
- I get to complete my CFA (hopefully)
- I may get into my dream school (MIT) or any other top school i apply to

CON
- I may not get into my dream school
- Wasted opportunities

Gokuu, is the best person to discuss with on the afore. I think you can PM or ask him the questions directly here. From where I stand, I don't think upping the GRE score will help the MIT chances any better than they currently are. I say this because I have seen a 324 GRE guy get admitted into the same program above but with a 4.8+ GPA. I doubt MIT will fund you significantly as well though.

There are great programs in Austin (not STEM), Duke and Vanderbilt that come with as much as 50% off the tuition and have prohibitive employ-ability rates that you may consider with your current GRE score. The guy I mentioned above will definitely know better.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 6:24pm On Apr 30, 2018
[
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by abid4akin(m): 6:29pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hi Everyone,

My sponsor sent me a scanned copy of his SOA. I'll be taking with me to the embassy a printed, and seemingly not-so-authentic document since it's signed and stamped.

Hope I'm not required to go with the original copy,
Pls help on this.

hoping this won't raise questions with consulars
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 4peace4: 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2018
The fact is twoods is just too pained to see his fellow Nigerians join him in the US and he would do anything to discourage anyone. If you observe closely he usually surface during new semester when ppl are going 4 interview. Well that one na him headache if you continue to look him faceless face you no go get visa ooo

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2018
abid4akin:
Hi Everyone,

My sponsor sent me a scanned copy of his SOA. I'll be taking with me to the embassy a printed, and seemingly not-so-authentic document since it's signed and stamped.

Hope I'm not required to go with the original copy,
Pls help on this.

hoping this won't raise questions with consulars

You can't use a scan copy! It has to be the original copy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by James89: 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2018
femi312:
Ideally I would have ignored this but you seem like someone that one can have a conversation with and not play in the mud. 1) I am not here to please anybody, in life there is always room to have contrary opinion and its fine 2) The relevance of the 3rd part is what you explained yourself so I don't need to make that clear anymore. Additionally him not telling them what they want to hear is not bully. Times without number I have said that I absolutely agree that there are better ways to pass his message across but he never insulted anybody. The guys shouting are the ones insulting, they need to remove the speck out of their own eyes first. I don't believe he is bullying anyone, he is not trying to force anyone to do what he wants, he just gave his own opinion.By the way, there are many opinions here and its left for whosoever to pick the good and ignored the bad. You guys are the one trying to bully him into silence. Have a good day too

Dude it seems he gives you pocket money or changee sometimes ba,cos I don’t expect anyone be so blind not to see all we’ve been saying,u didn’t see so much in all he did but you’re fast to attack someone else here,who cares if he works in an oil company?does that justify anything here,does it make sense to you??sounds silly to me,its non of my business even if he works at “HEAVEN on EARTH oil company”,most of us will surpass that level man..its about respecting yourself and others..simple..but then you don’t even have a point.”you should be the one to remove the speck from your own eyes”you are one of those encouraging this silly act here,it has to stop!!!!if he can’t respond to questions without being rude then he can as well keep it to himself..it’s not by force abeg..what will be will be!!!let the truth be told..

13 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by yuscodguy(m): 6:52pm On Apr 30, 2018
Leyemoshood:
Which cheap School can be recommended for MSc in IT or Network security or cyber security in the US? Very urgent pls.

Can you try my school Eastern Illinois University, i will know i have a colleague from Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by James89: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2018
hilaryxoxo:

You can use the following things:

1) 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides) - do all the exercises twice and also do the online exercises.
2) The Official Guide to the GRE General Test - Practice all the tests, read the content very carefully and look for things that are crucial. Don't avoid the things you know pretty well such as basic math.
3) https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-word-problems - watch all the GMAT math videos, the guy is exceptional. Will teach you how to approach the questions efficiently.
4) Download MAGOOSH's application of flashcards/ basic and advanced/
5) Official GRE Super Power Pack - Best source for GRE standard questions. Do it after doing the top 4 things and do it thrice if you can.
6) Give the exam - software test 2 weeks before the exam, to understand your mistakes. Do the same test again and again until you get a perfect score in quantitative.
If you have more time, you can practice questions from magoosh. They're very spot-on

Thank a lot,I was able to download some of the materials.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by orimahspence: 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2018
femi312:
In as much as I don't support the way he answers some questions because I believe there are better ways to pass the message accross. However, you guys are doing exactly what you are accusing him of. Calling someone 'ode' or 'boy' or 'waiter' is not rude to you? Because Nairaland is a faceless forum does not mean everyone here is a kid or fresh out of undergrad. Just to give you a perspective of who he is..this person you called waiter works in one of the largest oil company in the world. Him telling you to tell your friend to ask the question is not a big deal here. I don't think its hard to ignore some comments that are not telling you what you want to hear. Never burn bridges on your way up, you never know if you will need he/she's help later in life, nairaland is not that faceless. Never met or spoken to him in my life but if I see him in life, I can recognize him. Moving forward, try to practice what you preach, just ignore and get it going

Even if he works with Heaven Petroleum Plc, who cares !!, all we request is a little sense of respect for co-members , When you are full of pride on the inside, it makes you stiff, stubborn, and creates strife with others.

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Leyemoshood: 7:11pm On Apr 30, 2018
yuscodguy:

Can you try my school Eastern Illinois University, i will know i have a colleague from Nigeria.

Oya na, I'll send you a PM.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:21pm On Apr 30, 2018
grin grin grin.. always good to witness some drama here.. reminds me of the good old days of NIN vs NID fights here in the travel section, babyosisi, idowuogbo cfcman et al
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by hilaryxoxo(f): 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
Scholastica16:

Gokuu, is the best person to discuss with on the afore. I think you can PM or ask him the questions directly here. From where I stand, I don't think upping the GRE score will help the MIT chances any better than they currently are. I say this because I have seen a 324 GRE guy get admitted into the same program above but with a 4.8+ GPA. I doubt MIT will fund you significantly as well though.

There are great programs in Austin (not STEM), Duke and Vanderbilt that come with as much as 50% off the tuition and have prohibitive employ-ability rates that you may consider with your current GRE score. The guy I mentioned above will definitely know better.

Thank you @scholastica
I'd be sure to reach out to the person you have recommended. I think i also have more research to do in terms of finding schools. Thank you smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by abid4akin(m): 7:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
Sorelee:

You can't use a scan copy! It has to be the original copy
Omg! Thank God I threw this out.
Thanks @Sorelee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:33pm On Apr 30, 2018
4peace4:
The fact is twoods is just too pained to see his fellow Nigerians join him in the US and he would do anything to discourage anyone. If you observe closely he usually surface during new semester when ppl are going 4 interview. Well that one na him headache if you continue to look him faceless face you no go get visa ooo
fun fact : every time a Nigerian gets a visa to the USA, the salary of Mr. twood reduces by 0.5% grin grin grin grin...
Edit: Nigerians do not get sarcasm

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by James89: 7:36pm On Apr 30, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

fun fact : every time a Nigerian gets a visa to the USA, the salary of Mr. twood reduces by 0.5% grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin free the guy,he must have learnt now

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2018
James89:
grin grin grin
I was being sarcastic .... cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by James89: 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
I was being sarcastic .... cheesy cheesy

But that was fatal!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Coxtie(m): 7:52pm On Apr 30, 2018
Please let’s stop twoods matter an let’s move on.. it’s like the matter trends much more than why we are here.. please we still have a lot of problems to look into my gurus in the noble house.. I just called him and he has promised to change lol( just joking).. so let’s move on
I rest my case..
God bless everyone reading this!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 4peace4: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

fun fact : every time a Nigerian gets a visa to the USA, the salary of Mr. twood reduces by 0.5% grin grin grin grin
hahahahahaha i did perceive the bias words in your so called "sarcastic" statement but unfortunately you said the right thing ooo my guy LolZZZ oga no one loose him job to "new comers"

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Predstan: 8:14pm On Apr 30, 2018
Anyone who can help out? I don't find this GRE verbal section interesting at all.. How do I improve, my exam is on the 2nd of July. I can't even comprehend any passage when I read them less of picking out what the author might be saying... My sentence completion is also poor. I have learnt the strategies but vocabularies are just too much and I forget too quick...

The Quant section is getting more interesting.. I had my first simulation before reading and got a score of 153 in d quant section. I know I will mprove to a higher score before d test.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by James89: 8:20pm On Apr 30, 2018
Predstan:
Anyone who can help out? I don't find this GRE verbal section interesting at all.. How do I improve, my exam is on the 2nd of July. I can't even comprehend any passage when I read them less of picking out what the author might be saying... My sentence completion is also poor. I have learnt the strategies but vocabularies are just too much and I forget too quick...

The Quant section is getting more interesting.. I had my first simulation before reading and got a score of 153 in d quant section. I know I will mprove to a higher score before d test.

I believe the gurus will respond to you soon,meanwhile you got any materials you can share with me?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by cosade(m): 8:20pm On Apr 30, 2018
Mekurexx:
Believe it or not. All visas have quotas for the year. Even the popular H1B, green cards all have quotas. Do more research and you'll see. Drivers license too has quotas.

Bolded
Are you kidding? Quotas on driver's license! You're taking this joke too far.

There are no limits on non-immigrant visas such B1, B2, F1 etc., that can be issued in a year.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by cosade(m): 8:34pm On Apr 30, 2018
4peace4:

cheesy grin

The sky is wide enough.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by nelronaldo(m): 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hello house.
I want to evaluate my transcript for admission into a school in the US and i don't intend to use WES. Please can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive and stress-free evaluating body which is a member of NACES.
I already have a WES Canada account, so i am finding it difficult to create WES US account and admission closes in a fortnight. Please someone help me with an alternative agency.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Walspring: 9:13pm On Apr 30, 2018
4peace4:

No be small talk be this oo.

Make God help us

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ajibade105(m): 9:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
You deserve some accolades...

Mekurexx:
I want to use this medium to thank Nairaland and this thread especially for input, knowledge, criticisms and knowledge that has been shared for a long time. I gained insight from this thread before I went for my interview, moved here and even when settled here. 2 years later I am celebrating my masters graduation (cum laude). I cant begin to @ all the monikers that left in Fall 2016 but I trust everyone is doing good and also getting ready for graduation. Thank you all for everything

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GucciOluwa: 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
Walspring:

I replied your pm, Just check your junk or spam if you didn't get my reply in your inbox

Also to all those who sent me pm, I have replied and check your junk or spam if you didn't get my reply in your inbox

Thank you boss. God bless you continually.
Sevis fee payment confirmation received.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ayo55(m): 10:32pm On Apr 30, 2018
Am new on this thread, and I hope I met people who can help and I can also help in achieving there dreams. Plz can any1 help with schls good schools in canada that I can study Construction Managemennt, Project Management or Quantity Surveying @MSc.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by UzzyBreeze: 10:42pm On Apr 30, 2018
nelronaldo:
Hello house.
I want to evaluate my transcript for admission into a school in the US and i don't intend to use WES. Please can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive and stress-free evaluating body which is a member of NACES.
I already have a WES Canada account, so i am finding it difficult to create WES US account and admission closes in a fortnight. Please someone help me with an alternative agency.

You can switch the account or try ECE

(1) (2) (3) ... (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.