Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,814 members, 7,837,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (307) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (924859 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 10:27am On Jun 02, 2018
Ije5oma:
Hello @tufin,

I tried reapply around 4am but I still couldn’t book an appointment..I’m bothered cos my school is resuming soon

Hi Guys

If you were previously refused a visa in the last 6 months and you could not apply, check it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked for someone moments ago and i was able to get a date for the person.

People were able to book yesterday. Try and check back later
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 10:28am On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

Oh, why na!! In my opinion, I don't think they give guys going to study English in the US a chance, like you can study it here, Nigeria is an English speaking country. Another problem is the Master's you hold again cry

That's not true. You can study English in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 10:30am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:
Good morning everyone. Many thanks to everyone who has made this group quite enlightening. This is my first post here and I think I need more enlightenment.
Visa denied twice at the Lagos consulate

Brief background: I hold an M.A. degree in English (concentration: Syntax) but I was admitted on a full scholarship into Uni of Louisville for a master’s program in Rhetoric and Composition (under English dept). However, on the two occasions of my interview, the need for another master’s in the same discipline was always the brick wall.

VO: Why are you going to the US
Me: I’m going to the US to resume into the dept of English, Uni of Louisville for a master’s programme in Rhetoric and composition
VO: What is your highest qualification?
Me: A master’s in English
VO: So why are you going for a master’s in the same discipline
Me: Though under the broad discipline of English, I am going to study for another master’s because of my change of research focus. My first master’s was on Syntax but my understanding that Rhetoric and composition is a relatively new area of study in Nigeria which has little academics who specialize in it made me decide to take on this master’s to lead discussion in the area and be among those to frontier it into prominence in Nigeria (I might not have fully captured all word-for-word).
VO: Which other schools did you apply to
Me: BGSU, UND, WSU
VO: What made you choose Uof L
Me: The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with cutting edge research capacities. It gives the opportunity to translate research findings into innovative practices through participation in conferences and workshop. I am excited to state that I was offered the opportunity to present one of my research works at the Discourse and Semiotics workshop also.

I was about furthering with my reasons for the choice of the school and he brought the blue stuff out.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated as I planto give it a shot one last time. Thank you all.

Apply for a PhD in Applied Linguistics, you will get your visa. Going for another Masters will be tough getting visa in the same field.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tufin: 10:32am On Jun 02, 2018
I think you should check later. I actually helped someone to check and I was able to get an appointment. It was sometimes in the night Nigerian time (past 3am or so).
I'm quite sure you will get the appointment. Just ensure you check during off peak hours and all.

Ije5oma:
Hello @tufin,

I tried reapply around 4am but I still couldn’t book an appointment..I’m bothered cos my school is resuming soon

Hi Guys

If you were previously refused a visa in the last 6 months and you could not apply, check it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked for someone moments ago and i was able to get a date for the person.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Lol... He not she.
Thank you for your invaluable opinion. May I, however, note that the study of English in Nigeria is focused on 3 or 4 areas of concentration. Nothing much (academics/discussions) on the area of research I hope to major in: Rhetoric and composition.

So, my thought for going for another master's in English is to redirect my area of research to this new focus. As this will enhance my chances to pick up a lecturing role (in writing units/immersion prog unit) and serve as a background for academic progression in an area I'd like to be an expert and authority in via a PhD degree.

This is on the broader outlook. Thanks.

The truth is you don't need another Masters to start your PhD. Check Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, MIT, Texas Tech Uni, Uni of Oregon. Uni of Illinois, Indiana Uni of Pennsylvania. If admitted , your Phd is free with monthly stipend. Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 02, 2018
Glowrie22:

I have. It's probably the least known university in the state. I attend University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. From what I've heard from my Professors here, Ark tech has been having lots of issues.

Hi, how is UA school like. I am trying to apply to them
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 02, 2018
lydia19:
Hello everyone,
I have been a silent follower for over 2 months. My visa was approved this morning at Lagos Embassy. Many thanks to Damilare5882 for taking his time to help edit my mock transcript and Twoods and also everyone who has contributed to this thread.

VO: Good morning
ME: Good morning sir
VO: So tell me why you are going to the US?
ME: I am going to the US to study and acquire my masters degree in Public health at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
VO: Why masters degree?
ME: The first degree is not competitive enough and the masters degree will give me the knowledge and skills that I need to work with the Federal Ministry of Health, and other public health non governmental organizations in order to reduce disease burden in Nigeria.
VO: What is your first degree?
ME: Microbiology
VO: Tell me what you learnt in school about microbiology?
ME: Microbiology is the study of micro-organisms. Microbiology has different branches such as environmental microbiology, Food microbiology, Industrial microbiology and Medical microbiology.
VO: Tell me about Environmental Microbiology
ME: Environmental Microbiology is the study of micro- organisms in the environment. Some micro-organisms can be harmful while some can be useful. For example, some micro-organisms can be used to degrade wastes in the enivornment. Although we have some wastes called recalcitrant wastes that do not degrade such as Plastics and Iron.
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
ME: 3
VO: Name them
ME: University of North Texas Health science center, West virginia University and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
VO: How many admitted you?
ME: The three
VO: Why are you not going to University of North Texas Health Science Center?
ME: I prefer UAMS because it has a school of Public health that is accredited by the Council on Education for Public health in the US. I will get to work with Professor Brooke Montgomery on her research aimed at examining HIV and STIs disparities in the vulnerable populations and also developing behavioural interventions for sexual risks. Also, they have a curriculum for masters in public health where you get community experience which enables you to apply what you learn in class to the real life.
VO: How did you hear abt UAMS?
ME: I did an extensive research on schools that offer public health in the US using professional sites such as association of schools for programs of public health and sophas.org and I narrowed down my search to UAMS because their curriculum aligns with my career goals.
VO: Did you write GRE or GMAT
ME: GRE
VO: Are you married?
ME: NO
VO: Do you have any children?
ME: NO
VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: My mother
waited for some minutes
VO: OK, I will be approving your visa now.
ME: Thank you sir
VO: You will get an email.....bla....bla....

Hello, I studied same course with you. How's the school like?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 11:11am On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

That's not true. You can study English in the US.

I didn't say you can't, I'm saying one would need a killer reason as to why you want to go abroad to study the language you've been speaking since you were born. It's just an opinion, I might be wrong
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 11:41am On Jun 02, 2018
Fan01:

'The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with [/b]cutting-edge research capacities.[b] for MA in English language. ���

Nigerians sha.

Next time add that the school has on of the best state-of-the-art facilities that can help you develop the highest level of technical skill in English Language. cool

Good Luck.

Thank you for this improperly construed sarcastic response of yours.

And yes sir, the institution has what you could refer to as a 'state-of-the-art facility' for digital humanities program for research in Humanities, within which English subsists.

Thanks though.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Mervyn98: 12:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
I tried to schedule a visa now but I'm only seeing "there's no available appointment "
If I try again, they'll tell me that I'm approaching the limit of viewing the page.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

I didn't say you can't, I'm saying one would need a killer reason as to why you want to go abroad to study the language you've been speaking since you were born. It's just an opinion, I might be wrong

The opinion is myopic. Why do Universities have language departments? E.g French, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, German, Spanish.

If you know what you are doing you should be able to defend your reason for a degree in front of the V.O. That you speak English doesn't mean you are speaking the standard variety. Why do they ask you to write TOEFL since you were born with English according to your submission shocked shocked grin grin

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

The opinion is myopic. Why do Universities have language departments? E.g French, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, German, Spanish.

If you know what you are doing you should be able to defend your reason for a degree in front of the V.O. That you speak English doesn't mean you are speaking the standard variety. Why do they ask you to write TOEFL since you were born with English according to your submission shocked shocked grin grin

Bro, it's no news that most schools waive the TOEFL for Nigerians cause they know we been speaking this language a long time in case you have no idea. And, I have no strength to argue pls, go and argue your standard variety with the V.O
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 12:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

Bro, it's no news that most schools waive the TOEFL for Nigerians cause they know we been speaking this shit a long time in case you have no idea. And, I have no strength to argue pls, go and argue your standard variety with the V.O

What statistics do you have? And do you think everyone here is a student ba? You are here to learn but If you chose not to, I can't force you. But be wary of the advice you give. Check your response to the transcript again.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 12:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

Well, I don't quite agree with this. The study of English transcends the ability to speak the language. Take English Phonology for instance. Any serious student of phonology must not only be abreast with the bookish knowledge of that aspect of English but also practice what's learnt in language labs and analyse speech sequences with application packages like Pract. I don't know of many institutions (federal and state maybe) with such facilities.

Thus, the fact that I'm born in a country where English is the official language doesn't mean I'll be fully equipped with necessary knowledge to succeed as a student of the language.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Fan01(m): 1:04pm On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Thank you for this improperly construed sarcastic response of yours.

And yes sir, the institution has what you could refer to as a 'state-of-the-art facility' for digital humanities program for research in Humanities, within which English subsists.

Thanks though.

Tell the VO this next time. You will be fine.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by austinelex: 1:12pm On Jun 02, 2018
Hello gurus in the house pls help a bro while completing an application form in a state university I was ask to provide SSN(social security number) of which am not a US citizen pls wat does SSN mean pls help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 1:13pm On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

What statistics do you have? And do you think everyone here is a student ba? You are here to learn but If you chose not to, I can't force you. But be wary of the advice you give. Check your response to the transcript again.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

OK for statistics, i applied to 10 schools. while I got into 6 schools, denied by 3 and wait listed by 1, I can say a good number of them didn't really ask about my TOEFL though I got it submitted for scholarship reasons. Yes, it's on their website to submit TOEFL, but I contacted the admission office and they were ready to waive it for me because i'm a Nigerian.

Congratulations!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 1:19pm On Jun 02, 2018
austinelex:
Hello gurus in the house pls help a bro while completing an application form in a state university I was ask to provide SSN(social security number) of which am not a US citizen pls wat does SSN mean pls help

Not applicable to you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 1:28pm On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

Okay bro, we should not continue this. I'm here to learn and pass my visa interview not to argue. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 1:37pm On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Well, I don't quite agree with this. The study of English transcends the ability to speak the language. Take English Phonology for instance. Any serious student of phonology must not only be abreast with the bookish knowledge of that aspect of English but also practice what's learnt in language labs and analyse speech sequences with application packages like Pract. I don't know of many institutions (federal and state maybe) with such facilities.

Thus, the fact that I'm born in a country where English is the official language doesn't mean I'll be fully equipped with necessary knowledge to succeed as a student of the language.

Thanks.

Okay bro, who am I to argue with you. We should be channeling all this energy into giving a superb answer to that question

"Why another masters in the same discipline?"
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wiseoldman: 2:28pm On Jun 02, 2018
Hello House,

Please whats is the criteria for getting scholarship or tuition waiver from for MSC in MECH in US schools. I am asking to check my chances of getting one, as I feel I might be at a disadvantage due to the fact that I don't have a recent research experience. The MSC is for career movement into more technical roles (Design/Research). But the scholarship or some sort of funding would be required to make this move.

Profile:
1. First Class in Engineering.
2. 5 Year production engineering post uni work experience.
3. GRE (320)
4. TOEFL (108)
5. Recent research experience (This is where i have the concern, I don't have a recent research experience, I have 5 year old published paper though).

Please help with pointers and general advice to help build a solid admission case.

Merci.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gewezzy1(f): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2018
Glowrie22:

I have. It's probably the least known university in the state. I attend University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. From what I've heard from my Professors here, Ark tech has been having lots of issues.
Really please what type of issues
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 3:08pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wiseoldman:
Hello House,

Please whats is the criteria for getting scholarship or tuition waiver from for MSC in MECH in US schools. I am asking to check my chances of getting one, as I feel I might be at a disadvantage due to the fact that I don't have a recent research experience. The MSC is for career movement into more technical roles (Design/Research). But the scholarship or some sort of funding would be required to make this move.

Profile:
3. GRE (320)
4. TOEFL (108)
5. Recent research experience (This is where i have the concern, I don't have a recent research experience, I have 5 year old published paper though).

Please help with pointers and general advice to help build a solid admission case.

Merci.

You don't have a problem. Apply to many schools as possible, top schools, average schools. Also aim for PhD applications. You will definitely get full funding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glowrie22: 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
Gewezzy1:
Really please what type of issues

Enrollment issues. According to one of my professors, they have been in trouble twice or so for forging enrollment numbers to avoid getting cuts in their funding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glowrie22: 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2018
TravelDrim:

Hi, how is UA school like. I am trying to apply to them

It's a good school. What's your proposed course of study?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by austinelex: 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

Not applicable to you.
but I can complete the form without the SSN
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by austinelex: 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2018
folmus:

Not applicable to you.
but I can complete the form without the SSN
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bobmar: 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wiseoldman:
Hello House,

Profile:
3. GRE (320)
4. TOEFL (108)

Merci.

You wise tru tru. Apply to top schools mehn. Your profile is solid.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bobmar: 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2018
To those seeing unavailable dates or no appointment date, on what page are you seeing this?

Is it before the page where you insert your gtbank receipt no/MRV no? or after the page? Because right here, I can see available date and fill my details up to the page where I was asked to input my MRV code.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by VECOH1(m): 4:44pm On Jun 02, 2018
Hi everyone -Pls I need your counsel.
What do I need (Documents )to book for an F1 visa interview.
Should I wait for SEVIS fee payment and to receive my I-20 form or can I start booking once I get my I-20 form since d form had my SEVIS ID.
It's urgent because available dates are filling up so fast and resumption date is near.
Thanks for your anticipated reply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gewezzy1(f): 5:02pm On Jun 02, 2018
Glowrie22:

Enrollment issues. According to one of my professors, they have been in trouble twice or so for forging enrollment numbers to avoid getting cuts in their funding
Does it mean the school wouldn't be recognized by the VO

(1) (2) (3) ... (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) ... (514)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.