Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,266 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (360) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915088 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
NefT:

I applied to LSU, UTK, UNH, UAH, U of Arkansas Fayetville. Only UAH,UTK offered me Msc with no funding instead of PhD and Univ Kansas offered me admissions but with no funding. I carefully chose these schools according to my profile and how am I sure I will get into any if I should go for another schools next Fall. I am thinking things could change after a semestre according to the condition of the offer. I guess they want to be sure I am a good fit after a semestre with them. Waiting for another Fall is like eternity because I have been on this for the past two years now.

Someone here was in a similar situation last spring. He had a PhD offer with no funding and he was promised funding after a semester. He got his visa and left. I think he got the funding afterwards.

Remember that what works for Mr A may not work for Mr B. No one is praying a bad prayer for you but note the risks involved with resuming without funding for PhD.

You have two options
1. Wait for one year or one semester and reapply to other schools : This seems like the safest option and all it will cost you is a wait time of 12 months. If you're taking this route, ensure you rewrite the GRE and increase your score to 315+.

2. Take the risk: This seems very risky but it may be fruitful if you have luck on your side. As I mentioned earlier, someone did this and was successful. You may also be successful but it's not a guarantee.

I hope you know the risks involved. I can't really choose an option for you. I just hope you know the implications involved. I just want to clarify that you will get your visa whether or not you're funded for the PhD. It depends on how well you sell yourself to the VO. Search for the transcript of that person. He had his interview last spring.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 20, 2018
I have an inquiry to make.

Will there be a problem at POE in JFK if my connecting flight from JFK is 16 hours after my arrival? My flight arrives 4PM and my connecting flight is 8AM the next day. I'm willing to wait cos I can't find a connecting flight from 6PM upwards and I don't want to arrive late at night. I just want to know if it will be an issue at POE.

Thanks as I look forward to your responses.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Macaulay10(m): 6:41pm On Jun 20, 2018
nosagiez:
Please what is the difference between WES ICAP Transcript Evaluation and The Basic Evaluation? And which one should I go for please! ICAP seems expensive $249.
why do you want to evaluate your transcript, I thought you've been admitted already?. U even posted your approved visa transcript awhile.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 6:41pm On Jun 20, 2018
femi312:
First, do you have any research experiences? you have a great GPA and a not too good Gre score. However, admission and funding are not solely based on one aspect of your application. No one can really say for a fact that you will get funding because funding depends on availability and only the faculties can really know. Because there was funding last year does not mean there will be again the next year. Some years ago I was considering UTA for masters too in Civil Engineering (Structures) and I found out that they don't fund students in there first semester, has that changed? I don't really know. I think not all there PhD students are also fully funded however, my advice to you is to send emails to the graduate coordinator and ask all these program specific questions. He/She is the only one that can give you an exact answer. Additionally, I think UTA Civil engineering has a pre- application for prospective PhD students, whereby you can do a quick application without paying a fee and they tell you if you stand a chance of getting admitted.

Side note:If you can re-write the GRE to get >315, please do so that you can have more options for direct PhD because your GPA is awesome. Had it been you have substantial research experience, your GRE wont really matter that much for a PhD application with this GPA (I am assuming you have very little to no research experience). You should consider top schools like Northwestern University (They allow direct PhD and if you don't get admitted, they admit you for masters), Virginia Tech (They don't allow direct PhD but I believe you should get admitted for Masters,however probability of funding for masters is low). University of Pittsburgh is also a good place to check, there is a Nigerian in the Structures PhD program and another (Direct Phd, Gre: 313, GPA:4.48) is incoming this fall, if you want to talk to them there might be possibility of me giving you their contacts (I don't do dms anymore because I cant remember my nairaland login details,).

What specialization in Civil Engineering are you looking at? There seem to be low funding opportunities in Structures but Environmental, Transportation and Geotechnical seem to do better in terms of funding. Which other schools are you considering? Make sure you apply to at least 6 schools, send emails to prospective Advisors to market yourself,apply before November ending, write a great SOP (I can give you samples) and get great LORs (LOR is more than 'he is a good student or he is hardworking'')

Wow, I really appreciate your input bro. My major is Environmental Engineering and I have done 3 researches but no publications yet. I wrote the GRE without preparation tho, so I might consider rewriting it also. I am looking at other schools like UTK, U of florida,UT while I also add Uni of pittsburg.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 6:46pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

Rewrite the GRE. Your GPA is solid, don't dull it
Apply to UT Arlington PhD as a moderate option (though I don't know it's ranking in your field), then apply to more ambitious schools

Ceteris paribus, a GRE score of 315+ and your GPA will definitely land you a PhD offer at UT Arlington and you may never can tell, a better school can still admit you with full funding for PhD.

Don't spend all your funds and shots at safe schools... Have a perfect mix of ambitious, moderate and safe schools... UT Arlington should be a moderate choice for you. But first of all, rewrite your GRE and improve your score so you can get better shots!

Goodluck!!!

Alright boss, will do that. Thanks for your input.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mayowa94: 6:51pm On Jun 20, 2018
good day guys. I appreciate your good work here please help me to review my brother's transcript

Vo: good morning
me: good morning
Vo: where are you going to in usa
Me: i am going to troy uni alabama for my masters in computer and information science.
Vo: whats your major/what is your area of specialization
Me: network and security concentration
Vo: whats your highest degree/ what did you study in your undergraduate
Me: bsc computer science from uni of ado ekiti
Vo: how many school did u apply to
Me: five
Vo:name them?
Me:Troy uni(alabama), mit Massachusetts institute of technology(massachusetts), new mexico state uni(new mexico), uni of bridgepprt (connecticut), kansas state uni(kansas)
Vo: why this course/ what will you do with this degree
Me: it will equip me with technical skills needed to excel in my field which i will in turn use for the development of my country. It will help me to solve the problem of computer security and cyber crime which is a problem in Nigeria today. As an employee with masters in my field i will start to collect about 400,000 monthly
Vo: how many admitted you
Me: 4
Vo: name them
Me: except mit
Vo:how old are you
me:25 years old
Vo: when did you finish your bsc
Me: 2014
Vo:what have u bin doing since den
Me: i went for nysc in mid 2015 and finish in 2016 , after which i enrolled in a computer and hardware engineering apprenticeship to develop my self more in the field
Vo:What are the core courses of will be taking
Me: analysis of algorithms, computer architecture, operating system principles
Vo: what is your total credit unit
Me: 33 semester hours
Vo: hw did u hear abut troy uni
Me: the first time i heard about troy was at an educational seminar in ibadan. Also i heard from my undergraduate hod and my project supervisor who are both alumni of troy uni. I learn more using college big future
Vo: did u take any standard test?
Me: no, it was waived for applicants with gpa of above 3.0 and also applicants that receive their undergraduate lectures in English.
Vo: why did u choose troy uni?
Me: troy is a home to very large international program and well structured curriculum that is practical oriented. Also because of d class size in which the ratio of student and instructor is 30:1 which give me d opportunity to learn in a conducive environment. The school is enriched with qualified professors who are always ready to render necessary assistance to students.
Vo: do u av relative in us?
Me: No
Vo: why did u choose to study in the us?
Me: because us is undoubtedly has the best education program in the world. It is a great country to learn d most recent tools and techniques in every field as us uni offer excellent learning and research program through great facilities dey posses and offer d best blend of theory and practical
Vo: what are your plans after graduation
Me: i will come back to nigeria to work with security agencies such as efcc, police etc in order to reduce d rate of cyber crimes. I will also set up my own firm which will entail d sales of security cameras, tracking devices, computer hardwares and repairing of hardwares.
Vo: who is your sponsor
Me: my uncle he has bin sponsoring me since my sec school to university
Vo: why will your uncle sponsor u?
Me: he's actually paying back because my parents were responsible for is upbringing and education.
Vo: what does he do?
Me: he's a car dealer and has oil and gas business with 2 filling stations and 3 trucks
Vo: are you married?
me: no
vo:do you have kids?
me:no
Vo: where will u b staying
Me: campus housing provided by d school
Vo: av u travel out of your country b4?
Me: no i don't av any reason to until now
Vo: i will b approving your visa make sure your go along with your sevis receipt and i20 you will need it at poe

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
tactmayor:

Alright boss, will do that. Thanks for your input.

You're welcome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by whyqueu(m): 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Give it a week and keep checking ... if it remains the same then that means it was refused . So you can go back again but whatever was the problem might come back again

I saw this and I think I should comment on this ..I knew of a friend here that was on Administrative Processing (infact I have his screen shot ) and some days (or about 5 days it was turn back to ISSUED ) .Don't ever loose hope guyz ... Keep checking the Platform and be prayerful... I believe you sha testify ..Cheers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

Will there be a problem at POE in JFK if my connecting flight from JFK is 16 hours after my arrival? My flight arrives 4PM and my connecting flight is 8AM the next day. I'm willing to wait cos I can't find a connecting flight from 6PM upwards and I don't want to arrive late at night. I just want to know if it will be an issue at POE.

You have no problem. Just tell them and keep your ticket handy when asked.

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tolatof: 7:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

Rewrite the GRE. Your GPA is solid, don't dull it
Apply to UT Arlington PhD as a moderate option (though I don't know it's ranking in your field), then apply to more ambitious schools

Goodluck!!!

His GRE Scores are okay to get a fully funded Offer too...
Its not all about GRE scores, your SOP, your LOR from a strong professor or a very strong LOR-it is basically a perfect mix of all

A friend had 316 and she got a fully funded offer at Stanford...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

No problem .... especially if you have your connecting flight print out so you can show if asked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Dopekidd(m): 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2018
Hello everyone. Please i need a detailed instruction on how to apply for student F1 visa(booking an interview at the US embassy)

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2018
LagosismyHome:

No problem .... especially if you have your connecting flight print out so you can show if asked

Okay, thank you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2018
tolatof:

His GRE Scores are okay to get a fully funded Offer too...
Its not all about GRE scores, your SOP, your LOR from a strong professor or a very strong LOR-it is basically a perfect mix of all

A friend had 316 and she got a fully funded offer at Stanford...

Don't misquote me!

I didn't say his GRE cannot get him an offer. I said a higher GRE will obviously give him more options and I remember saying 315+ GRE will open doors better than UT Arlington for him. If he has 12 more months to prepare (since he is going for Fall 19), why shouldn't he use that time wisely by increasing his chances?

I have said this earlier, forget the holistic review BS these schools tell you. A higher GRE will always open more doors for you. It works 85% of the time. Let's tell ourselves the truth
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2018
folmus:

You have no problem. Just tell them and keep your ticket handy when asked.

Cheers!

Thanks boss.. So much appreciated!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sirtenburg(m): 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2018
jeffery23:
Hello Gurus in the House, My Visa was delayed May 4 @lagos embassy Please can I reapply next month? Please has anyone been able to reapply lately?

Yes.. I got August 2
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 7:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
tactmayor:

Wow, I really appreciate your input bro. My major is Environmental Engineering and I have done 3 researches but no publications yet. I wrote the GRE without preparation tho, so I might consider rewriting it also. I am looking at other schools like UTK, U of florida,UT while I also add Uni of pittsburg.
Okay, sounds good. Weigh your options as regards the GRE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by AfonjaBoston: 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2018
mayowa94:

Vo: i will b approving your visa make sure your go along with your sevis receipt and i20 you will need it at poe

I laugh when I see this in all these so called mock transcripts

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Coloniel5000(m): 8:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
please house help a brother ....I need to pay my sevis fee...my interview is in days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Coloniel5000(m): 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2018
sevis fee payment please....help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Anahi(f): 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sirtenburg:

Yes.. I got August 2

Please when did you reapply and which state
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
rkay:
I still don't understand how a statement from April end led to these issues. I thought statementsare supposed to be valid3 for 6 months.

Guys, learn from my mistakes.

Yes but we Nigerians lie a lot. No surprise there.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:40pm On Jun 20, 2018
rkay:
I still don't understand how a statement from April end led to these issues. I thought statementsare supposed to be valid3 for 6 months.

Guys, learn from my mistakes.

How do you know this caused an issue ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sirtenburg(m): 8:57pm On Jun 20, 2018
Anahi:

Please when did you reapply and which state

I filled my application yesterday and booked my appointment this morning.. my school is resuming August 30
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 9:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

lmao. Sleep, wake up, sleep wake up. Your and come back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Anahi(f): 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sirtenburg:

I filled my application yesterday and booked my appointment this morning.. my school is resuming August 30

Thanks. I still can't see any dates, i guess i'll keep checking.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sirtenburg(m): 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
Anahi:

Thanks. I still can't see any dates, i guess i'll keep checking.

I got Lagos.. keep trying, till we get to the top
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 10:04pm On Jun 20, 2018
I have been seeing alot of AP of late which is good

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by YoungIncredible: 10:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm a silent reader and I need help in terms of selecting school based on ranking.

Two schools offered me admission for MBA in USA. Ball state University in Indiana and University of Wisconsin.

Ball state University is ranked 99 in top public schools and 151 in business program.

University of Wisconsin is ranked 20 in top public schools and 381 in business program.

Please help, I am confused. Which ranking should matter to me, top public schools? Or businesses program?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lasthero: 10:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
whandeykoal:
Good day guys, I seriously need help
WES had received my documents from my school and they sent me a message that they have sent a message to my school to confirm they sent the documents, my school said they haven't seen any message for over a month o, the staff at the registra's office said it may be a wrong email address and sent me another one... Is it right I send that address to wes? If not, what can I do
P. S.. My Alma mata is Adekunle ajasin university.

Adekunle Ajasin and their wahala. We both showed each other pepper last year over transcript until I file them to court.

I think you should go to exams and record. Tell them you are expecting a mail from WES as regards verification of your transcript, they should be able to provide information / support

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chidinho10:

Nope. JFK is your POE for immigration purposes. That’s what really matters. As long as you have your flight ticket for your connecting flight, you’d be ok. Everything after that is treated as a domestic flight... no issues.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 10:34pm On Jun 20, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.