Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (416) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916546 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Misterdhee1(m): 2:54am On Jul 13, 2018
wisepluto:
Who knows anyone writing GRE soon. I have a fantastic Princeton material that helped me a great deal. Will give it out for free, though it cost me some dough when I got it.
I sent a pm. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by paulsir: 4:25am On Jul 13, 2018
jamoyakz:
you can go tomorrow to the designated DHL center you choose when scheduling your visa appointment
Thanks I appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 4:32am On Jul 13, 2018
You need to sound like a student. What's your major, what's your proposed "research interest /area" What's your undergraduate course, Can you relate this to a pertinent research ongoing in Illinois and your school is a part of" "You need more info on that field" I know a friend and she is in the environmental program at SIUE, her undergrad degree was in fisheries, but she talked more from a broad "Environmental standpoint" that a VO can relate to and not solving problem by "GIS", You know you can learn GIS online like Udemy et al?
Dewumi054:

I've done that sir. Sorry I'm new here and didn't know how to go about it.
Thanks

Okay would do that. Thanks.

VO: Your passport and i-20 please

Me: Good morning and hands it over vo where will you be going in the united states me Southern Illinois university Edwardsville

VO: Why the United State of America?

Me: I'm not sure what I said here but she didn't let me talk for up to 10secs before cutting me short and repeated the same question "why the United States of America. I tried changing and rephrasing my answer but she cut me short again and asked another question.

VO: How many schools did you apply to?

Me: 3: Southern Illinois university Edwardsville, Southern Illinois university Carbondale and Southwestern Oklahoma State university

VO: Why SIUE

Me: I chose SIUE because it is known for its excellent academic reviews and reputation as regards my field of study. Also, according to the US news and world report SIUE is listed among the..(she cut me short again and asked another question)

VO: You are aware you are going for a two year course, why invest so much time and money into this course

Me: I took interest in Geographic information system when I took a course in GIS in my undergraduate days. I was fascinated at how GIS could solve most of the problems facing Nigeria such as the ineffectiveness means of data collection, storage and record keeping...(she didn't let me finish before she cut me short again and asked the next question)

VO: Who's going to be sponsoring you?

Me: My dad

VO: What does it do

Me: He is a professor in the University of Ibadan

VO: How much does it earn annually?

Me: Over 500 000 per month

VO: You aren't qualified for a non-immigrant visa. This paper will explain more to you. (She hands me the green paper and I left) The reason for my denial according to the paper she handed over to me was no prove of family ties even though according to the DS160 all my family members are here Nigeria. cry

That's it o! Please I need your help guys. She didn't give the time to talk much. She was just cutting me short.� cry I'm guessing probably my answers weren't good enough. Please I need your help on better response to give to questions like this.

Thanks cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 4:33am On Jul 13, 2018
Thanks but you didn't have to pay for this!. Although I don't support piracy in any form, it is all over the internet
wisepluto:

Here is the download link .https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=bf5619477e736c70&id=BF5619477E736C70%21602&authkey=%21AGaypoPQIaSLvno

Please note that you'd need to install an epub reader to read the file on a non-iOS device.

Share and study well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by wisepluto(m): 4:53am On Jul 13, 2018
ponpon:
Thanks but you didn't have to pay for this!. Although I don't support piracy in any form, it is all over the internet
That of Magoosh came free, while Princeton wasn't a free version. Magoosh materials aren't quite as direct as I would have loved.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 5:24am On Jul 13, 2018
wisepluto:
That of Magoosh came free, while Princeton wasn't a free version. Magoosh materials aren't quite as direct as I would have loved.
The Princeton is everywhere on the web! But it was thoughtful of you to share and want to help others! How did you do on your test?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by MACDONALDuzoma: 5:26am On Jul 13, 2018
Misterdhee1:

I sent a pm. Thanks.
I sent a pm too to you, Pls can we talk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Kirusky4life(f): 6:21am On Jul 13, 2018
Good morning beautiful. Please my interview is next week. I want to know if there is any document I need to photocopy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Rasengan02(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2018
wisepluto:
Who knows anyone writing GRE soon. I have a fantastic Princeton material that helped me a great deal. Will give it out for free, though it cost me some dough when I got it.
I would be so glad.... Belloabimbola68@gmail.com....thanks in advance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jolowizzy11(m): 7:19am On Jul 13, 2018
good morning guys.... my interview is on the 18th of this month,please review my transcript and criticize ...thanks
VO good morning
Me. Good morning

Me how are you today ?
VO fine

VO pass me your sevis receipt and i-20
Me here you go

VO why are you going to us
Me I'm going to us for my bachelor's degree in project management @ alliant international university San Diego California...

VO why USA they are good schools in UK,canada and Ireland

Me I choose to study in us because their education system is one of the best in world and also they have a diverse and modern educational system which is recognized all over the world,
VO why this school
Me I choose this school because it is one of the top management school in us coupled with the fact that the class size is small that is the maximum number of students in a class is 20 ,that would make the class more interactive and also I would be able to get along well with the professor's.

VO why did you choose project management

Me - my decision to study project management was taken when I saw alot of failed projects in my country due to the lack of proper management ,I believe with the knowledge I would have acquired I would be able to make a positive impact in the construction sector...

VO tell me about project management

Me project management is a wide course that fit's into any sector ,for example in my country the construction industry is the fastest growing industry in my country and I would love to be among with elite project managers in my country...

VO who's your sponsor
Me my dad

VO what does he do
Me he works @ Lagos state employment trust fund as the head of government relations

VO what would you do after the completion of your course

Me I would come back to my country to get a job after years of savings I would startup my company .

VO have you traveled before
Me no I haven't

VO why
Me I have no reason to ...

VO are you married
Me no sire/ma'am
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by fab11: 7:21am On Jul 13, 2018
Please I need your advise, especially from those who have witnessed it first-hand.

My travel agent made a mistake in my appointment confirmation. He misspelt my surname.

The other documents are accurate.

Will this be a problem?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 7:34am On Jul 13, 2018
biikeys:

I've not googled anything yet but looking at the names of these schools, I won't be surprised if they are just glorified community colleges..but then I may be wrong. Also, YouTube video uploaded when...
Note that international students usually qualify for in-state tuition on getting GAs,TAs etc. So I wouldn't search using your criteria, try the funding opportunities, ranking and possibly location first.
They are public Universities, tier 2 or regionally accredited.
Not everyone would have a profile admissible to first tier or Ivy leagues to qualify them for GA/TA/In-state tuition /tuition waiver.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2018
exxy:

it's just Ok sha, Mississippi is a very poor state. but you will survive and as for funding it depends on the school.
I'm planning to attend Alcorn State University, Lorman. Please do you know someone there or any information about funding there. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Enasdan(m): 8:07am On Jul 13, 2018
please house kindly advice, which document can be used and present to the Vo in place of letter of sole signatory to account (business) from the bank, which document can be used as back-up to support the claim, probably when asked by the Vo, if the letter of sole signatory to the account is not available at the time of interview, and cannot be provided, thanks for your swift responses.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by keyke(f): 8:12am On Jul 13, 2018
wisepluto:
I need it pls
Here's my mail kofoakinwale26@gmail.com
Thank you
Kind regards
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by encryptor: 8:35am On Jul 13, 2018
Hello people.... So I applied to UTEP for masters and resumption is 27th August... My I-20 is currently on transit to arrive Monday next week.
I just decided to see how to schedule visa appointment and the earliest date as of today is 27th August for Lagos and 28th August for Abuja.
Please can visa be approved after the date of school resumption
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dan5loriel: 8:56am On Jul 13, 2018
Keeping checking you should get an earlier date check much later at nights you should get a date before august 20

encryptor:
Hello people.... So I applied to UTEP for masters and resumption is 27th August... My I-20 is currently on transit to arrive Monday next week.
I just decided to see how to schedule visa appointment and the earliest date as of today is 27th August for Lagos and 28th August for Abuja.
Please can visa be approved after the date of school resumption
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by exxy(m): 9:04am On Jul 13, 2018
Glocal1:
I'm planning to attend Alcorn State University, Lorman. Please do you know someone there or any information about funding there. Thanks
it's a good school and yeah them get funding. personally, I don't know anybody there but I know say Nigerians they there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 9:14am On Jul 13, 2018
exxy:

it's a good school and yeah them get funding. personally, I don't know anybody there but I know say Nigerians they there.
Thanks bro. Where are you in Mississipi?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Damidala1(f): 9:29am On Jul 13, 2018
Damidala1:
Hello everyone please I went for my interview today dunno if to be rejoice or dejoice
I was among the first set the lady declined all b4 me

Me:good morning
Vo:morning pass me you i-20 and international passport (I did) where you going to in usa
Me: Biggs library suit 119 Brookings South Dakota state University
Vo: what program?
Me:hospitality management
Vo: why study did in USA?
Me: cuz made a point of couldn't hear myself
Vo: how did u hear about this school?
Me: from the crowd of my trade school
Vo: what do you do now?
Me: I teach empowerment program lalalala
Vo: who is sponsoring you?
Me: my dad
Vo: what does he do?
Me: he's a car dealer and owns he's transportation company
Vo: transport of goods or people?
Me: people
Vo: where does he ship from
Me: usa
Vo: (start to the type ooooo* than brings out a white Paper) this is want I you to do for me send the documents of your shipment from USA and any other country to Nigeria the original, with statement of account and point of sale... (handled me over my passport and documents you don't have to come back send everything with the white paper together at once thought DHL and she gave me where to send them too)

My dad already said he would get me the documents tomorrow so by Monday we can send them

What I got from them please I need any advice
They said they wanted point of sale we don't know if it's from us where my dad buys cars from the pos or the people he sells car to pos

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by wisepluto(m): 9:37am On Jul 13, 2018
ponpon:

I ended up paying. I usually feel uncomfortable with free product. My GRE score was 301 and i have been admitted to Texas Tech University. I am scheduled for my visa interview soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mzomaks: 9:45am On Jul 13, 2018
enthusiasm:
So all those guys bashing my previous transcript. By the time I'm done with this one, I'm sure you will be calm.

So my interview was for 6:45, I got into Lagos the previous day and lodged a trekkable distance to the embassy. So I got there really early. Then.. the whole queue and biometrics things.
When I was in the interview line, there were two men and like 5 or so women VOs. I wanted the elderly man in Windows 2 to interview me because I saw him approve a visa. I kept praying but when it was getting to my turn I felt I might be assigned to the notorious Windows 7 so I quickly ran to the restroom. Lol!
I came back and joined the windows 2 myself and the uniformed orderly saw me and called me out, I just kept smiling. I was later pointed to the guy in Windows 5 who turned to be the best.
Me: Goodmorning as I pass him my i20 and sevis

VO: Goodmorning.

Me: I started explaining without being asked ' my course is International Development Studies' it's written differently on my document.

Vo: (nods) where are you going (or something like that I'm not sure.)

Me: I'm going for my masters in IDS at the Elliott school of international affairs, George Washington University ( he actually didnot let me finish)

VO: oh that's a good school.

Me: thank you

Vo: what's your academic background

Me: I have BSc in Political science and administration, graduated 2015 and afterwards I did some volunteering job before proceeding to work as a legislative aide to the honourable member representing my constituency.

Vo: so why are you going for this course

Me: I chose this because I want a career in development and policy research (spoke slowly and dimmed my eyes while shaking my head to show how passionate I am) I believe the most effective tools of development are Good policies and research. (To this he nods his head very well and types) I'll be specializing in International Development management, because I'll love to work with development organizations and in the long run hopefully AU.

VO: how many schools did you apply?

Me: 4 ; UMASS, Uni. Of Kansas, St Joseph uni and GWU.

Vo: how many admitted you
Me: all

Vo: so why did you choose this one

Me: it's one of the best schools of international affairs in the world. (He nods) I did my research using my field of study as focus and it's top ten in US and top 30 in the world. I chose it specifically because of the way the courses are tailored, we get to study in cohorts, there's this capstone... (he cuts in)

Vo: yea yea I know about that.
Vo: who is your sponsor
Me: family

Vo: I'll be approving your visa, I also didn't hear anything else, I was listening but I didn't hear. He didn't circle my white paper either.

It seemed like a long interview now but it was not up to 2 minutes and it seemed so easy because of his body language, he was practically nodding at everything I said, it is GRACE. However I comported myself well, smiled a bit and spoke my phonee too, I kind of noticed they like that, but what do I know! A relaxed body language and eye contact helps a lot. I was looking at him even when he wasn't looking at me. I'm super grateful for this platform and I hope my transcript helps someone too.
All the best!!!

CONGRATS!!! pls what is the name of the hotel you lodged in?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Smartconcept1: 10:09am On Jul 13, 2018
exxy:

it's just Ok sha, Mississippi is a very poor state. but you will survive and as for funding it depends on the school.

Bro, which school are u in Mississippi
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sillysassysally(f): 10:22am On Jul 13, 2018
Hi,

Anyone here with insights on top business school admissions?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by rimijoshua(m): 10:23am On Jul 13, 2018
A friend of mine said, one needs full funding to stand a better chance of getting a visa, how true is this info... House kindly assist....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mzomaks: 10:29am On Jul 13, 2018
mroluyemo:
PLS HELP MAKE CORRECTIONS TO THIS TrAnSCRIPT

Why are you going to the US?

Response: I’m going to the US for my masters in Chemical Engineering
with specialization in Pharmaceutical Engr at Rutgers University in
New Jersey

WHY CHEMICAL ENGINEERING/Why Pharmaceutical Engr?

Healthcare in Nigeria is a mess which is a reflection of our
Pharmaceutical industries, Hence one of the outlets of being able to
solve problems in the healthcare industry as a Chemical Engineer is by
specializing in Pharmaceutical Engr. Also, during my application phase
I came across a paper authored by Professor Piero Armenante on
Pharmaceutical process and Equipment design which further heightened
my likeness for the course

Why do you want to do a masters?/why would you spending so much on a masters

Basically to gather a deeper understanding of the concepts in the area
of pharmaceutical engr by leveraging on the theoretical knowledge I
got from my bachelors chemical engr, with the ultimate goal of coming
back to Nigeria to apply the knowledge to the pharmaceutical
industries here.

For me getting a deeper understanding of pharmaceutical engr is not a
waste of time/money, because after the program I would have been
equipped with requisite knowledge needed to move the Pharmaceutical
industry in Nigeria forward

HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT RUTGERS?

I decided to go with Rutgers because it best fits my profile

Attending an Ivy League school such as MIT (which I visited the last
time I was in America) has always been my dream, but after my GRE I
had to compromise a bit. I started researching on other schools and
other programs, I was fascinated by a paper I came across by Professor
Piero Armenante’s -Pharmaceutical process and Equipment design , This
led me to do an extensive research on the top programs in
Pharmaceutical engineering, of which I found out the Pharmaceutical
engr offered by Rutgers. Recently I found out Rutgers is sometimes
referred to as a public Ivy League school, which means my dream is
still valid

WHY USA? Why not Canada or Germany

USA because it’s the innovation capital of the earth, with big
advancement and contribution to Research and development, moreover the
US is home to many top notch universities, also in the US I get to
experience and meet people of different cultures that will further
enhance my development, personally and professionally

Why Rutgers

It was an easy decision for me because. At Rutgers, students have the
opportunity to be part of an engineering community that includes
world-renowned faculty conducting leading-edge research as well as
motivated students from a diversity of backgrounds and interests, who
remain networked beyond their studies as part of a 20,000-strong
alumni association. Rutgers is located in New Jersey which is home to
many Pharmaceutical Research and Development centers. The chemical
engineering department is also home to powerful research centers like
Engineering Research Center for structured Organic Particulate

WHY NOT STEVENS OR NJIT/ WHAT IS RUTGERS OFFERING THAT YOU’RE NOT
GETTING FROM STEVENS?

After talking to the Professors at all of the institutions, I found
the work of Professors Fernando Muzzio more fitting with my interests.
Specifically, I took liking to the work of Professor Ravendra Singh in
the area of Continuous Pharmaceutical manufacturing and upon
communicating with him and some of his research students, I found his
style of advising to be palatable to my person*. Also, Rutgers is
highly reputable with over 20,000 Alumni, I wanted to be part of that
history

Tell me about Pharmaceutical Engineering

Response: Pharmaceutical Engineering is the branch of engineering that
deals with the production and formulation of drugs

Response: Basically, Pharmaceutical engineering is the development and
manufacturing of products, processes and components in the
pharmaceuticals industry

What will Pharmaceutical Engr/ Chemical Engr do for you in Nigeria?/
What’s your career goal?/

What will you do after your program?

First of all, I intend to use the knowledge gained from the masters to
move the pharmaceutical industry in Nigeria forward by getting a job
upon arrival in Nigeria, also I would also love to work as an adjunct
staff in Nigerian institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development
in Abuja where I’ll have firsthand information on the Pharmaceutical
Research going on Nigeria. Ultimately, I want to own my own
pharmaceutical company whereby the major raw materials will be
efficacious herbs from Nigeria

Whats your highest level of Education?

I have a bachelors in Chemical Engineering from the University of Lagos

When did you graduate?

What have you been doing since then?

I recently concluded my mandatory National Youth Service corps (NYSC)
in Abuja where I was posted to a construction firm (Kaniz
Construction) , I’m currently interning with a Pharmaceutical company
in Lagos, Mecure Healthcare, I just wanted to famillarize myself with
drug production in preparation for my masters. Its an Unpaid
internship

Did you apply to other schools?

yes

How many

other schools apart from Rutgers

Name them

Stevens and NJIT

Why Rutgers

It was an easy decision for me because. At Rutgers, students have the
opportunity to be part of an engineering community that includes
world-renowned faculty conducting leading-edge research as well as
motivated students from a diversity of backgrounds and interests, who
remain networked beyond their studies as part of a 20,000-strong
alumni association. The chemical engineering department Is also home
to powerful research centers with great facilities like

14) How about housing and all?

Rutgers has a website for off campus housing, which I have made
enquiries on, which I’ll be going for inspection upon my arrival in
the US

What courses will you be taking?

I’ll first of all take my core courses before taking the
pharmaceutical engr courses

Well detailed and I hope you can remember all you have written, what about your sponsor ??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 10:41am On Jul 13, 2018
rimijoshua:
A friend of mine said, one needs full funding to stand a better chance of getting a visa, how true is this info... House kindly assist....
That's 100% incorrect. We have seen people with full funding get denied and we have seen people with no funding at all get approved.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by rimijoshua(m): 10:57am On Jul 13, 2018
Nahum777:
That's 100% incorrect. We have seen people with full funding get denied and we have seen people with no funding at all get approved.

Thanks bro... Because I didn't apply for funding initially but since I have deferred my admission to spring 2019.. I m thinking of applying if I could get one.
Without funding I think I ve got my dad as a sponsor... Thanks for the info once again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Predstan: 10:58am On Jul 13, 2018
ponpon:

Bro I sent a PM few days ago but you have not replied it. I want to register TOEFL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Predstan: 11:01am On Jul 13, 2018
ponpon:
Bro I sent a PM few days ago but you have not replied it. I want to register TOEFL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by enthusiasm: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2018
wow! That's an interesting point, I didn't even think of it that way. We learn everyday.
Thanks!

imperiouxx:

Yes, this is the real deal. Stating what you studied and going to study give confidence to those in the same shoe who are preparing for their interviews. There was a time some people thought it's only chemistry or science folks here that get visa most. You see why your course is a vital part of your interview transcript that we are all looking forward to see.

Cheers!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.