Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (913366 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2018
abbeYhart:

Well said Femi. I work for the school here in US and in a very sensitive department. I have signed an undertaken not to disclose some sensitive information. It is not a good idea to disclose that here on a public forum so that is the reason why i said anyone should PM m
how further unsmart can you get grin grin grin. You signed "undertaken" (Yahoo boy's English) not to tell people the name of an accredited school?.. really??.. How stupid, do you think we all are here? grin grin, .. Take your one building visa mill school and shove it where the sun don't shine cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 9:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
how further unsmart can you get grin grin grin. You signed "undertaken" (Yahoo boy's English) not to tell people the name of an accredited school?.. really??.. How stupid, do you think we all are here? grin grin, .. Take your one building visa mill school and shove it where the sun don't shine cheesy cheesy
grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2018
Lovelywings:

I live in the US. Trust me, it is NOT just ranting. The gurus are 100% wrong. Trump's Twitter rants have been turned into executive orders (Muslim ban), actual policy and changes in bureaucratic procedures.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-employment-insight/trump-administration-red-tape-tangles-up-visas-for-skilled-foreigners-data-shows-idUSKCN1BV0G8

To be blunt, no Nigerian can afford to engage in wishful thinking. The above link reports on how under the Trump administration all of a sudden work visas are being delayed, requirements are getting more stringent and uncertainty about whether you can work in the US has increased. Make no mistake, there are multiple examples of this. What people need to understand is that the White House didn't just change in January 2017. The entire Washington DC government bureaucracy changed. Trump, his nazi-sympathizing advisors (Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller) and the GOP systematically changed the staffing of the agencies that implement policy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-the-trump-era-is-changing-the-federal-bureaucracy/2017/12/30/8d5149c6-daa7-11e7-b859-fb0995360725_story.html?utm_term=.fc1a5c9b9cd0

He is not only cutting staffing. He has been appointing department heads that swear loyalty to him and his agenda. I live in DC so I am seeing firsthand that Trump has the power to remove heads of agencies and replace them with mini Trump's. Here is the new head of US Citizenship and Immigration.

http://immigrationimpact.com/2017/05/31/uscis-director-testifies-senate/

His appointment was successful. People need to start listening to what Trump says about immigration, especially immigration from Africa. He is very clear that 1) white Europeans are preferred, 2) skilled immigrants take jobs from Americans and depress wages.

And if you're thinking, well I'm a student so that won't affect me. Know that your only option for working legally in the US after graduation is through the H1-B visa. See my first link above on what's going on with the visa. Honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to come to study in the US now, unless 1) it's a 4 year plus program, in which case you might find that Trump removed from office in 2020, and I won't even encourage you to hope for that, 2) your family is rich and moving back to Nigeria will be fun for you, 3) you get into an Ivy League 2 year masters and you do not have to take out loans to pay for school.

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but a word is enough for the wise. TBH even before Trump the H1-B system was broken. Nigerians who haven't lived in the US on a visa have NO IDEA that it is entirely possible to work on visas for 8-10 years without seeing permanent residency. Canada may not be as exciting as America, but their policy not just for immigration but also for study is much more humane.
exactly my thoughts because the way consular officers are drilling applicants and delaying them is quite alarming compare to fall 2017. even the visas fee is a pure scam 160 dollars at 400 naira per dollars... even in the most remote black market it's not sold at that rate...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by abbeYhart(m): 9:43pm On Jan 13, 2018
Well, that was a year ago on my birthday on Dec 31, 2016 when i offered to pay for someones application fee free of charge on this forum...You appreciated it and jokingly asked where is the jollof rice and chicken.
Anyways, all that is past tense now.

femi312:
me? When? I cant remember
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by whandeykoal(f): 12:25am On Jan 14, 2018
BigUgo21:

yeah do as she has directed you to be able to submit your application. which program are you going for?
Masters... Fall 2018 ...@morgan State University.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by SilentPistol: 12:32am On Jan 14, 2018
fromree:
Hello everyone, i'm new here so i apologize if i have not posted rightly or something. I gained admission for my masters program to study in the us but my i20 came really late, like 5days ago. I'm supposed to be in the US by latest 24th. filled my DS-160 form and paid my visa interview fee but i didn't get any date before the 24th and while i was waiting for this to change i didnt see 24th anymore but 25th which i picked. The problem now is i dont know what to do? is there any possibility that i will be given visa if i go for the interview on the 25th? I tried rescheduling but the site wrote in bold letters that if i try again i will lose my visa fee? Please guys i really need help. I'm sorry if my write up isn't well put together, m really nervous.

Apply for an expedited appointment stating your reason for applying. Refer to this link: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TimmyBee: 1:25am On Jan 14, 2018
Good Day Great People, I am a newbie here and I need some enlightenment. I wish to apply for MSc Finance in the US, but I have a constraint, my BSc CGPA is low. I had 2.6/5. I wish to know if I stand a chance to get Admission provided I have a good GRE score. I believe I can do well in GRE if I prepare well for it.

Kindly help me with necessary information that I need, if this CGPA is good enough to get me Masters Admission or I should stay back for my masters here and go for PhD in the States.

Your expert opinions will be very much appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Klebsy: 2:07am On Jan 14, 2018
Hello everyone
I am sorry this is coming very late. Better late than never. Thanks for all the transcripts posted here, they've been of good use to silent users like me. I had my interview on Friday, Dec 22. It was a quick one. My transcript goes thus:

VO: Collects my I-20. What are you going to the US for?
Me: I am going for my Ms Food Science at the North Carolina A&T state University.
VO: What is your professional goal?
Me: (Takes a pause, this question was totally unexpected ). I would like to be a professional in food preservation in a bid to apply myself to tackling yhe rising food security issues in a developing country like Nigeria.
VO: Did you write any standardized test?
Me: I didn’t, as it was waived because of my gpa and statement of purpose.
VO: What courses will you be taking?
Me: Nutrition and disease, Food preservation, Hazard analysis and critical control points, Food quality control, etc
VO: How applicable are these courses to your professional goal?
Me: (Almost went dumb) Food preservation is central amongst other factors to achieving food security. The knowledge of Nutrition and quality control ensures nutrition is not compromised in a bid to achieving food preservation.
VO: Who will be sponsoring you?
Me: My dad
VO: What does he do for a living?
Me: (mentions my dad's profession)
VO: Do you have any proof to support his abilities to sponsor you?
Me: Passes my SOA
VO: This is not recent and it's for september
Me: I used this when I applied
VO: Has he ever travelled before?
Me: No, he has had no reason to.
I figured this might be the deciding factor and saw her typing away. I had an assistantship from the school which was not documented on my I-20. At that point, I had to scream at the top of my voice, ma'am! I have an assistantship from the school
VO: oh! This isn't stated on your I-20.
She collected my letter of assistantship and put me on administrative processing.
My start date was Jan 8 and it was a race against time. Visa was eventually approved on Jan 3 and was picked up Friday, Jan 5. I had to travel on Sunday just to enter the US on the 8th. I just spent the first week here in the US and I must confess it's been stressful.
Thanks to God and nairaland for making this a dream come true.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by OluDare01(m): 2:29am On Jan 14, 2018
Klebsy congratulations! Village people almost got you grin

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 2:41am On Jan 14, 2018
abbeYhart:

Well said Femi. I work for the school here in US and in a very sensitive department. I have signed an undertaken not to disclose some sensitive information. It is not a good idea to disclose that here on a public forum so that is the reason why i said anyone should PM m

And it's a okay to then violate a non-disclosure agreement in an email? Btw..I don't think anything relating to general school admissions should involve NDAs-these are infos you can easily look up and disclose!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 3:57am On Jan 14, 2018
Lovelywings:

I live in the US. Trust me, it is NOT just ranting. The gurus are 100% wrong. Trump's Twitter rants have been turned into executive orders (Muslim ban), actual policy and changes in bureaucratic procedures.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-employment-insight/trump-administration-red-tape-tangles-up-visas-for-skilled-foreigners-data-shows-idUSKCN1BV0G8

To be blunt, no Nigerian can afford to engage in wishful thinking. The above link reports on how under the Trump administration all of a sudden work visas are being delayed, requirements are getting more stringent and uncertainty about whether you can work in the US has increased. Make no mistake, there are multiple examples of this. What people need to understand is that the White House didn't just change in January 2017. The entire Washington DC government bureaucracy changed. Trump, his nazi-sympathizing advisors (Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller) and the GOP systematically changed the staffing of the agencies that implement policy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-the-trump-era-is-changing-the-federal-bureaucracy/2017/12/30/8d5149c6-daa7-11e7-b859-fb0995360725_story.html?utm_term=.fc1a5c9b9cd0

He is not only cutting staffing. He has been appointing department heads that swear loyalty to him and his agenda. I live in DC so I am seeing firsthand that Trump has the power to remove heads of agencies and replace them with mini Trump's. Here is the new head of US Citizenship and Immigration.

http://immigrationimpact.com/2017/05/31/uscis-director-testifies-senate/

His appointment was successful. People need to start listening to what Trump says about immigration, especially immigration from Africa. He is very clear that 1) white Europeans are preferred, 2) skilled immigrants take jobs from Americans and depress wages.

And if you're thinking, well I'm a student so that won't affect me. Know that your only option for working legally in the US after graduation is through the H1-B visa. See my first link above on what's going on with the visa. Honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to come to study in the US now, unless 1) it's a 4 year plus program, in which case you might find that Trump removed from office in 2020, and I won't even encourage you to hope for that, 2) your family is rich and moving back to Nigeria will be fun for you, 3) you get into an Ivy League 2 year masters and you do not have to take out loans to pay for school.

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but a word is enough for the wise. TBH even before Trump the H1-B system was broken. Nigerians who haven't lived in the US on a visa have NO IDEA that it is entirely possible to work on visas for 8-10 years without seeing permanent residency. Canada may not be as exciting as America, but their policy not just for immigration but also for study is much more humane.

You're being unnecessarily alarmist. People should feel free to come here and study. The H1B visa has not changed and is not likely to change much... the difference is that the visa is now being applied more stringently. The H1B was meant to be for people with rare skills. Unfortunately it's been abused by mostly IT companies who have been using it to bring in low skilled cheap labor from India. There are two reasons the H1B appears to be getting more difficult:
1. Unlike before where renewals of H1Bs was almost a given, now each renewal is now treated as a fresh application.
2. they are now scrutinizing H1Bs to ensure that it is indeed going to the best and brightest - for example, does your job REALLY require an advanced skill? Are you being paid wages commensurate with your skill? The folks who are getting hit the hardest are Indian IT companies who now have to justify every single cheap labor H1B.

Don't forget also, there are literally thousands of H1B folks here. Considering that the feds have been in a hiring freeze for a while, it is getting more difficult to process each application/renewal in record time.

This goes back to a lot of the advice I've given here before that folks like to dismiss - apply and get in to top schools! Go for degrees that are in demand (not social work and criminal justice), degrees that guarantee you a skilled job that American employers are seeking to fill. If a top US employer is looking to hire you with top pay, there is no executive order that can stop you. If you attended a 1-building school to earn a masters in English... well sorry. You get what you get.

Also, there is only so much executive orders can do. The OPT and H1B are enshrined in law and only congress can make substantive changes to them. The president can tighten a few screws with executive orders here and there but there is a limit to his power. Left to Trump, the diversity visa lottery system would long have ended and you would no longer be able to petition for an immigrant visa for relatives... but again, this requires legislative change and there is nothing he can do to this. This is not the Buhari government.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 7:13am On Jan 14, 2018
I calculated it and had 3.73/4.00
princeGee23:
Yours should be between 3.65-3.72/4.00 but do make the calculation yourself to confirm my prediction.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 7:38am On Jan 14, 2018
To all those who tried to pm for payment of fees I apologize I had some issues with my card and had to rectify some things with my bank I'll let y'all know as soon as it's fixed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by fisfat(m): 11:12am On Jan 14, 2018
Pls, I need the link where I can search for universities in US. I’ve been looking for it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gospelozy(f): 12:10pm On Jan 14, 2018
Happy Sunday House.
Please am looking for a school where I can master in Education. My Bsc is in Education chemistry and I have GRE. Please I need a school that can give me funding and Graduate Assistantship for Fall 2018.
I await your replies.
Thanks for assisting.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 12:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
Gospelozy:
Happy Sunday House.
Please am looking for a school where I can master in Education. My Bsc is in Education chemistry and I have GRE. Please I need a school that can give me funding and Graduate Assistantship for Fall 2018.
I await your replies.
Thanks for assisting.

You are still searching since last year? What is your GRE score and your CGPA? with that we can[b]help[/b]you search schools grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 12:25pm On Jan 14, 2018
fisfat:
Pls, I need the link where I can search for universities in US. I’ve been looking for it.

Try www.google.com

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gospelozy(f): 1:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
folmus:

You are still searching since last year? What is your GRE score and your CGPA? with that we can[b]help[/b]you search schools grin grin grin

Mr. Folmus,no be small since last year oo cheesy. Had hiccups on the way.
CGPA 3.77, GRE 276. Analytical writings not yet out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2018
I have a CGPA of 3.73/4.00 and GRE-303. I have applied to 1 school, i want to apply to more schools. Please give suggestions on good schools with funding opportunities to apply to for Msc in Civil Engineering fall 2018.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 1:28pm On Jan 14, 2018
State whether the CGPA is to 4 or 5 scale
Gospelozy:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gospelozy(f): 1:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
tactmayor:
State .whether the CGPA is to 4 or 5 scale

Oh sorry. It's 5 I guess.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 1:48pm On Jan 14, 2018
Gospelozy:

madam, try another GRE and prepare this time. That score won't give admission not talking of funding.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by presh68(f): 1:49pm On Jan 14, 2018
Good day nairalanders, pls I would like to take SAT in order to get a scholarship, I would like to know if it is Possible for my 1-20 to be ready even before I take the SAT(cuz I'm trying to get necessary documents as early as possible) , or must it be indicated On the 1-20 that I was issued a scholarship(That is if I get The scholarship cuz I have not yet written the exam )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 2:36pm On Jan 14, 2018
presh68:
Good day nairalanders, pls I would like to take SAT in order to get a scholarship, I would like to know if it is Possible for my 1-20 to be ready even before I take the SAT(cuz I'm trying to get necessary documents as early as possible) , or must it be indicated On the 1-20 that I was issued a scholarship(That is if I get The scholarship cuz I have not yet written the exam )

These questions should be addressed to your prospective school.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 2:38pm On Jan 14, 2018
Gospelozy:
Happy Sunday House.
I await your replies.
Thanks for assisting.

Masters in education with a GRE of 276. The funny thing is that you’re asking for funding/graduate assistantship. You’re unlikely to get either.

There were lengthy posts here about the possible changes expected to the h1b. What type of job do you expect to get after your masters degree?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 2:41pm On Jan 14, 2018
Twoods no even reply my message ��
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2018
tactmayor:
Twoods no even reply my message ��

Did you send any? What was your question?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.